• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
All the people who are defending the media from accusasions of bias forget that theres a ton of conservatives, never trumpers and even far right goons on these media outlets that perpetuate these groupthink attitudes in this media bubble. Its not just the neoliberalcentrists who like social issues that you like who are playing into this propaganda.
People are defending them because you're showing evidence of times they've done a "bad job", but not evidence that they're intentionally targeting or biased against Bernie. Like, the Politifact decisions above are... questionable, on the whole, Politifact rates Bernie correct most of the time: https://www.politifact.com/personalities/bernie-sanders/ especially when compared to, say Joe Biden: https://www.politifact.com/personalities/joe-biden/ or Trump: https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Based on that, I don't really buy that Politifact is out to get Bernie and sabotage his political campaign. Does that make me nuts?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
their job, Kessler's most transparently, is less to check facts than it is to launder Beltway elites' preferred centrist ideology into an "objective" representation of reality
Yup. You see the same thing with posters here claiming something is objective fact when all it really is is centrist liberal ideology. And then that manifests into weird things such as "being the adult in the room" where liberals would want to be seen above the fray and scolding children for deviating from "objective truth".

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
That begs to question tho why fact checking is completely ineffective against Republican rhetoric and and talking points.

After the 2016 elections, there have been many articles detailing why fact-based approaches might not be as foolproof as we previously thought.
Proofs were delivered again and again on this, ever since, see:
-Brexit
-Anti-vaccine movements
-Flat-earthers
-Climate change deniers, etc.

But there is a required listening on the topic of fact-checkers and their faux authenticity:
soundcloud.com

Episode 83: The Unchecked Conservative Ideology of US Media's 'Fact-Check' Verticals

"Three Pinocchios!" rates The Washington Post. "Pants On Fire!" declares PolitiFact. “True, but misleading,” assess The New York Times. In a media environment overwhelmed with information, misinforma

Oct 30, 2017
That citations needed podcast on fact checking was pretty good.

Context is important when fact checking. Especially with how the information is being used to present an argument.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the 2016 elections, there have been many articles detailing why fact-based approaches might not be as foolproof as we previously thought.
Proofs were delivered again and again on this, ever since, see:
-Brexit
-Anti-vaccine movements
-Flat-earthers
-Climate change deniers, etc.

But there is a required listening on the topic of fact-checkers and their faux authenticity:
soundcloud.com

Episode 83: The Unchecked Conservative Ideology of US Media's 'Fact-Check' Verticals

"Three Pinocchios!" rates The Washington Post. "Pants On Fire!" declares PolitiFact. “True, but misleading,” assess The New York Times. In a media environment overwhelmed with information, misinforma
I actually listen to this podcast and heard this episode. I agree with everything they say. I just want people in this thread to reflect on that a little more by asking that question.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Based on that, I don't really buy that Politifact is out to get Bernie and sabotage his political campaign. Does that make me nuts?

I don't believe that fact checkers or the media is inherently "anti-Bernie". But the media is deeply skeptical and biased against M4A proposals. Despite their claim or their belief that they are unbiased, they consistently show their bias whenever they start talking about the costs of M4A and how it would raise taxes WITHOUT ever addressing how these proposals also end premiums to private insurers. Always talking about the costs and never talking about the potential savings. This is systemic to all mainstream media outlets in America. For that reason, they are consistently positioned against Bernie on this issue.

There is also a desire by the media to appear like they are unbiased and that means that they try as much as possible to hold Democrats to account for lying or misleading people in order to approach something resembling parity with how much they have to hold Republicans to account for lying and misleading. They can consistently knock out easy homeruns with Republicans considering how much that side does not value facts. Trump lies as often as he breathes air. But Democrats value the truth more, so fact checkers sometimes have to play "gotcha" in order to score points against Democrats.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

When you start talking about it in an overly conspiratorial way, it makes everyone else sound nuts, and that's the problem. The issue is not these media rooms all gathering in a smoke filled back room to decide to tank Bernie Sanders campaign(although im sure there some are places where that happens) . Its just the nature of biased groupthink and living in a bubble where everyone speaks to each other and everyone else in Washington is saying that the status quo and how things currently operate is great, and that what they think of an issue is the way the issue must be framed.

Even regarding hiring practices...its not necessarily about Jeff Bezos directly telling people what to write based on who he does and does not personally like, but about the culture of a Jeff Bezos owned Washington Post, the people who are actually in charge of the editorial boards, what they believe about issues, and how that bleeds down into who gets hired, who is allowed/disallowed from posting OPEDs and what their views are.

If you live in a cushy lifestyle and only know people who live in that kind of world view, its very possible to be biased against other ways of thinking even without noticing it. And if your called out, it can turn into a very petty game of vengeance where you just want to get at people. Sanders criticizes the well off all the time as taking advantage of the people under them despite having a responsibility in the most powerful positions. it makes perfect sense that the people who work under the guy who is worth 100 billion dollars will be unable to criticize the guy they work for or the culture they surround themselves with.

That's what Sanders was talking about in the first place.

So if you ask me, if there are people are politifact or Washington post who play this nuance trolling game with their "fact checks" intentionally to "get" Sanders or progressives in general because they have a conscious(or unconscious) bias against their worldview. I say absolutely.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The authors of the study have put out an official statement on Bernie's website, backing Bernie's claim, even saying it's actually a very conservative estimate:

But even the 530,000 figure is an underestimate of the number of people affected by medical bankruptcies. Most bankruptcies involve more than one person – an average of about 2.7 people, often including a spouse/partner and children. That means that the 750,000 bankruptcies last year involved more than 2 million people. And even if you use the most restrictive definition of medical bankruptcy – i.e. including only debtors who "very much" agreed that medical bills were a cause of their bankruptcy – Sanders' 500,000 figure is, if anything, too low. The right number is more like three quarters of a million.

And the study was actually an extension of the CBP studies that they already conducted with Elizabeth Warren, as I mentioned before.

They also had something to say about the Washington Post fact check:

So why did the Fact Checker claim that Sanders told a whopper? That claim rests on an econometric study that found only a modest uptick in bankruptcy filings among persons hospitalized in California between 2003 and 2007. But that study appeared tailor made to undercount medical bankruptcies. As we and Elizabeth Warren noted in our response to it in the New England Journal of Medicine, it excluded most people who were frequently hospitalized (a group that's at high risk of medical bankruptcy); it assumed that anyone not hospitalized could not suffer medical bankruptcy (even though people who aren't hospitalized in the course of a year account for four-fifths of all out-of-pocket medical bills); that no one is bankrupted by bills for a child's or partners' care; and that potentially bankrupting illnesses never start before the moment of hospitalization – an assumption contradicted by the study's own data.

Yet despite these flaws, the economists behind the study insisted (and the Post believed) that their math was a more reliable indicator of what caused financial ruin than the testimony (and court records that we've used as cross-check) from the thousands of debtors surveyed and interviewed by the CBP.

And this is why you check all sources and not cherry pick them to "win" an argument.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
But how could the media prop up a fake narrative about someone being wrong to discredit what they are saying if they were actually doing their jobs?

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
D-ApihwW4AAaMTt

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are defending them because you're showing evidence of times they've done a "bad job", but not evidence that they're intentionally targeting or biased against Bernie. Like, the Politifact decisions above are... questionable, on the whole, Politifact rates Bernie correct most of the time: https://www.politifact.com/personalities/bernie-sanders/ especially when compared to, say Joe Biden: https://www.politifact.com/personalities/joe-biden/ or Trump: https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

"Oh, wow, let's check a secon..."
criYZYr.png

Our ruling

Sanders said, "Last year, South Carolina spent $21,756 per prison inmate and $11,552 per student."
Sanders is correct that South Carolina averaged more spending per inmate than student last year. But the disparity in prison versus school spending is true across the country, and in most states the gap is wider than in South Carolina.

We rate this Mostly True.

I'm #TeamWarren, but seriously, that's some bullshit.

"It's true, but also true elsewhere and sanders didn't specify!"
"He lowballed a figure that would only help his point if it was higher!"
Seriously.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
criYZYr.png

Seriously.
Overexaggerates a figure: Bernie is inflating his numbers, 3 pinnochios!
Underexaggerates a figure: Bernie should be using a higher number, 3 pinnochios!

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
criYZYr.png

Seriously.
Yeah. Not sure why you quoted me. The point is bias would assume they're not pedantic with everyone from time to time. They are. Like they provide their own stats to show that they are.

If I was going to really defend them, the quotes you're posting are front and center on their site. You're not doing some crazy research to find this shit. "half true? What's wrong with it? Oh here's a handy one sentence summary of why." It generally looks like they're just trying to inform people. Which... Makes sense. That's their goal.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah. Not sure why you quoted me. The point is bias would assume they're not pedantic with everyone from time to time. They are. Like they provide their own stats to show that they are.

If I was going to really defend them, the quotes you're posting are front and center on their site. You're not doing some crazy research to find this shit. "half true? What's wrong with it? Oh here's a handy one sentence summary of why." It generally looks like they're just trying to inform people. Which... Makes sense. That's their goal.

It's not even pedantry in that example though, they're just wrong.

If we're being pedantic, the original quote's "some 200,000" can be interpreted as "the 200,000 portion of an unspecified number", and not as "only 200,000", so even using their fantasy logic that says that underestimating a number by half makes it half true (and just so we're clear, it doesn't), it still wouldn't make sense because 200,000 is being used as an approximate and not an exact quantity.

And again, on the medical bankruptcy issue, they're not being pedantic, they're just wrong. Nowhere in Bernie's statement did he say that the 500,000 bankruptcies were exclusively caused by medical debt, but that it was why people filed for bankruptcy (i.e. a leading cause, as the authors of the study he cited confirms), which is a perfectly normal assertion to make, because when we talk about causes in normal vernacular, it's not a philosophical statement that has to account for every variable in a butterfly effect, otherwise we'd never be able to say anything "accurately".

The only thing these fact-checks are informing people of is the ignorance of the fact-checkers who don't bother to properly do their homework (or do it disingenuously) and it gets really problematic when they're called out on it and refuse to correct their mistakes.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the medical bankruptcy thing unfold over the weekend. WaPo is still refusing to do anything about it yes?

That fucking tagline they use becomes more hysterically ironic by the day

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
It's not even pedantry in that example though, they're just wrong.

If we're being pedantic, the original quote's "some 200,000" can be interpreted as "the 200,000 portion of an unspecified number", and not as "only 200,000", so even using their fantasy logic that says that underestimating a number by half makes it half true (and just so we're clear, it doesn't), it still wouldn't make sense because 200,000 is being used as an approximate and not an exact quantity.

And again, on the medical bankruptcy issue, they're not being pedantic, they're just wrong. Nowhere in Bernie's statement did he say that the 500,000 bankruptcies were exclusively caused by medical debt, but that it was why people filed for bankruptcy (i.e. a leading cause, as the authors of the study he cited confirms), which is a perfectly normal assertion to make, because when we talk about causes in normal vernacular, it's not a philosophical statement that has to account for every variable in a butterfly effect, otherwise we'd never be able to say anything "accurately".

The only thing these fact-checks are informing people of is the ignorance of the fact-checkers who don't bother to properly do their homework (or do it disingenuously) and it gets really problematic when they're called out on it and refuse to correct their mistakes.
Like I literally don't care about one or two or a dozen examples where they're "wrong". The question is, were they wrong on purpose because they wanted to generate some negative press for Bernie Sanders or just because someone decided they thought it was important to point out the distinction here,. Their history says the later. They treat Bernie well. Because generally he's careful with what he says.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The question is, were they wrong on purpose because they wanted to generate some negative press for Bernie Sanders or just because someone decided they thought it was important to point out the distinction here,.

Their errors were completely unnecessary and they refuse to correct/retract them. It's irresponsible, regardless of whether or not they intentionally tried to smear Sanders.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty egregious that the wapo guy specifically asked the author that bernie was quoting if Bernie was interpreting his work correctly. Was told that, in fact Bernie was interpreting it correctly, and then the wapo guy called it a lie anyway. Then people online are upset that Bernie isn't (idk) apologizing for this non-error. Isn't that some shit right there?

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who covers something like this without any semblence of glee from trying to humiliate another person

These people HATE this dude

I don't think they once mentioned that he was at the Muhammad Ali Center

you know, one of the greatest boxers and activists (key word) of his time

decades later and they're still trying to strip that man of everything he stood for

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
And they tried to disingenuously tie him to trump at the end again as well...they are going into overtime with that narrative, proving sanders correct again