• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
CR_facebook_share_02.jpg

Developer/Publisher: Supercell
Platforms: iOS, Android
Worldwide Release Date: Now!
Price: Freemium

What is it? The game combines elements from collectible card games, tower defense, and multiplayer online battle arenas. In Clash Royale, players are ranked by their level and trophy count. The highest level is thirteen, with players leveling up by gaining more experience points through donating or upgrading cards. Trophies are won or lost through multiplayer battles; a player wins a battle by destroying more towers than the opponent (each destroyed tower being represented as a 'crown'), or by destroying the opponent's King's Tower, resulting in an automatic "three-crown" victory.

How long does a game last? Games last a maximum of 4 minutes – 3 minutes a match plus 1 minute of overtime. Whoever destroys more towers wins.

How do I get more units? Chests! You get one chest with each win. The chest varies in type, and each chest takes a certain amount of time to unlock. The rarer the chest, the better the cards, and the longer it takes to unlock, with the rarest of chests taking upwards of 24 hours to unlock. You can pay gems to instantly open any chest if your heart (and wallet) desires!

Each arena level offers new cards to unlock, so if there's a unit you want, you might have to increase your arena ranking to get it. Please check out the Wiki for more info on that.

Does this game have clans? Yup, you can join a clan of up to 50 people. You can do practices matches against your clanmates. You can also request cards from, and donate cards to, your clanmates. There's a limit on the requests and donations. Donations are important because it's an easy way to get gold and experience points. At some point I think they are going to have clan battles, but for now, clans just compete against each other on the rankings.

What clan should I join? We have some very active clans, however they may be full. If you are interested in joining start a PM with one of co-leaders or leader. Some of the clans: NeoGAF (#20Y9PQ), GAF (#QYYQCQ), Neogaf (#80J8RU9), Neogaf (#Y8CGRR), GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY). If there are other clans let me know. Just search for these or their tag and they should show up.

How do I level up my tower? You need experience points to level your tower, and you do NOT get experience points for winning. You get experience points from leveling up your cards or from donating cards to clanmates.

What do I do when I am full on chests? If you don't want to gem chests to finish them instantly, you can still play the game for fun, to climb arena ranks, etc. You also get gold from your wins, so keep playing!

How Pay2Win is it? Paying gives you stronger cards (up to a point), no question. However, there are some people have reached the highest arena ranking as totally free to play players. After a certain point, skill matters more than cards. There's not a huge difference in power between a level 7 card and a level 8 card. That said, all of the top ranks are filled with people who have paid dearly for that position, i.e., in the thousands of dollars range.

What should I do with my gems? Save them until you can use them in Challenges. Challenges are the best way to get Gold. which is what you're going to need to upgrade your deck.

Credits to commish for the OT.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Everyone!

How active are the respective clans these days?

I messaged SC about changing the name of (#Y8CGRR) to reflect our new digs, but no response so far!

OP
OP
SUBZERO-08

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
The NeoGAF clan is super active. Can't speak for the other ones but they look very full at least!

DazzlerIE Let us know what Supercell says when they get back to you.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
#QYYQCQ is 50/50 and active too. I don't think we've missed a rank 10 clan chest yet. I personally went from never playing this game for almost a year to playing every single day now that 2v2 is permanent and there's other non-ladder ways to play.

GuyFive

Oct 26, 2017
I think this weak update and destiny 2 PC will finally be what breaks the (thousand dollar) spell. Going to be weird walking away from my maxish account but there isn't a whole lot left in the game as far as I can see.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy the gameplay itself, so that keeps me coming back

It's still a hugely enjoyable game to play

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Glad someone created a Clash Royale thread. I was going to do it this weekend if one didn't pop up.

Also, lol @ these King's Cup "Special" offers.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ticked off that I played the Kings Challenge up to elite and didn't get 10 crowns, so to complete the quest (that I cannot dismiss) I would have to pay 100 gems.

It sits there mocking me.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Are all the clans still active? or will there be some sort of merger and all? I do find it weird that we still have GAF on our clan names considering the move.lol I'm Sonic on GAF Royale btw.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I messaged SC through the app itself, but no response three days later.

Can anyone recommend an alternate way to contact them?

yatesl

Oct 28, 2017
Try Twitter?

For the past 4 days in a row I've had free chests as my quests. Has anyone else, or is this a freak occurrence?

thyy

Oct 27, 2017
I now had my first 2 in the last 3 days. I rerolled the first one on the second day instead of opening the third free chest. It did not turn into a new free chest quest, but the next one I got was the free chest quest again.

Before that I had a streak of daily gift quests going that started on the first day of the update. Every 5 days I would reroll a quest immediately after finishing the daily gift, and I would always get a new daily gift quest. (Without having to wait a day to open the first gift.)

Edit: Got another Free Chest Quest on day 4. So I assume I only didn't get one on day 2, because I still had a active one.

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a pretty amusing interaction with a rando in this game. I was in pub 2v2s finishing up my daily crowns. I tend to do this opening push of hog + bats if I have it cause I can usually catch a lot of free damage if the opponents aren't ready for it. Sometimes my teammate stupidly backs this kamikaze push up which gives enemies an insane amount of value if they react fast enough to stop it. This always pisses me off and since 2v2 doesn't matter I'll usually take the time to stop actually playing the game to spam salty emotes at my teammate.

So I did this just now. I think my teammate realized he messed up but I was still laying into him the entire rest of the match instead of playing. Then still salty I hit the rematch button and he accepted. I started the 2nd match with this guy still spamming emotes. Thumbs up, Well played, Good game, Laughing. The entire match. The guy is just crying at me. Rematch again. Accepted. Same situation. Emote spam the entire game. Then after that, a third rematch. I see my hog/bat opening is available so for yuks I stop the emote spam and play it and we catch about 75% damage on enemy tower. This poor guy who I've been harassing for the last 10 minutes had just lightninged the enemy King tower, but he catches on that I got serious and started tryharding too. Lo and behold we lose a tower first, but don't give up. The enemy tries going for our 2nd crown tower but we overload their weak lane and 3 crown them with our dual inferno dragons! We both start thumbs upping and well-played'ing each other again, tho this time unironically.

Man I love 2v2.

thyy

Oct 27, 2017
Ah the classic romantic comedy trope of two BMing Clash Royale Players and their meet cute.

Seems like you two deserve each other. :P

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you stopped playing? :(

I haven't stopped completely, but I've dramatically reduced my playing time. Only play every few days now. The update hasn't kept me coming back like I thought it would.

I did just try the Halloween Challenge though. Lost the first game then went 9-0 on the free entry which felt great. Nothing like getting your adrenaline rushing when you hit the 7 win mark and you only have 2 wins to finish it off. My 9th win was against an Xbow deck which along with his other cards were a perfect counter to the Golem I had, but they choked. My crown tower was at 400 meanwhile his was at 2400 going into overtime and I pulled it off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any clans open. If so send me an invite. I'm off and on with the game but might as well be able to get my requests.

I'm level 12 and have lots to donate. My playtime is similar to agent and we used to be in the same clan.

yatesl

Oct 28, 2017
QUOTE ME TO GET THE LINK TO A NEOGAF CLAN (#Y8CGRR)

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
oh hi guys

just realized I hadn't posted in the OT yet! come join our clan using Yatesl's link y'all.

Gold Rush definitely had me playing ladder more than I normally would, but the gold amount felt pretty weak overall... that said, I guess it work. It has me much more excited for Gem Rush though... the gem equivalent of 5k gold is 250 gems.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Is it like possible to disband the existing clans and make some new ClashERA clans?

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
We messaged the team about a name change and they never got back to us. We have also discussed merging with another clan if there is one that has inactive members. I think we are getting close to 15-20 people not really contributing.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We talked about it in NeoGAF #20Y9PQ. Seems like it'll be real easy to accidentally leave someone behind, but we're full of fairly active players, so that's kind of lame. If some big merge needed to happen at some point, it might make sense to roll two clans into one ERA clan, but until then I think we're just carrying on.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Is it like possible to disband the existing clans and make some new ClashERA clans?

Yeah we were discussing that (edit: I see b33r mentioned that). While most of our people are active, I'd say only half of the clan is quite active. Back when ResetEra was still in the womb, we discussed it in our clan (the one yatesl linked to just above) and almost everybody was on board with creating a new clan and possibly merging with another.

If we did something like that, I bet we'd shed 15-20 people just from the friction of the transition. I haven't spied on the other CR clans in a while so I'm not sure how feasible a merger is now.

edit: I feel similarly to Brakke above. Unless there's an obvious opportunity to merge two clans, probably not worth doing now.

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of un active members there. As I said before looking for a clan with 2 spots for a friend and myself. We both put up over 200 clan chest crowns last week and our shitty clan barely got to level 6.

Look up at Yates post a few post above. There is a link to join if you quote it and we did have 2 spots open. Post #28

Mayordolo

Oct 25, 2017
GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY) would consider a merger (or full blown new clan to drop the GAF name with both clans included) if there's someone out there with about 15-20 folks they need a home for. For a good while we were the top GAF family clan in trophies and donations, though I'm not sure where we rank now. We usually flirt around top 200 local in trophies.

Our clan is still full of 50 active players, but as the GAF recruits dried up we have backfilled with outsiders. That has been fine (minus the million spam requests to join when there's an opening) but ideally we'd like to have all ERA/GAF community members if it were possible again.

We have 34 active ERA players. The other 16 are outsiders. Odds are we'd probably lose a couple ERA folks as that's what happens when you do these things, and naturally some are more active than others. I figure somewhere around 20ish would be a good amount if someone is near that ballpark and wants to consider it.

Myself and GuyFive feel like it could be a good opportunity to have a full community again and to shed the old label.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly couldn't tell you who in our clan is or isn't from GAF originally, save for a handful. Our current clan is the product of two other GAF clans merging a year ago, and some people have brought a friend or two in over time to fill up gaps as well (both pre and post merger).

I'm a bit biased with the two non-GAF/ERA friends in there though ;) If people are into getting a pure Era clan together, I'd tag along if only for more activity in chat. I feel like I'm 50% of it at times lol. But we would also be leaving a decent number of folks homeless... though I guess they could keep the GAF clan

I can't join the one that was quoted above to me because I need an invite.

The URL in yatesl's post didn't work? That should be treated as an invite

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine if there are three current GAF clans, we would have enough people across both for two super active clans, and one more casual with space for new people

It's a toughie, though. I really don't want to leave behind anyone

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My take is I'm cool with using this ResetEra thread as a home base but I'm reluctant to name it after the board precisely because of what happened at GAF.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Hiya Bonk!

Curious to hear other people's thoughts in the thread on merging or not!

Honestly my feelings on this are more like... are there active, very participatory people in our clan that isn't from RE now? I honestly didn't know for sure if Bonk was from this forum for sure until just now. Same goes for our user Pupstin, who I think might not be from here. I don't feel awesome about ditching people who we've gotten to know in there... but I'm way more ok with ditching people who never talk and are only kinda helpful when it's time for the clan chest.

Dazzler's idea is interesting (I know having feeder clans is common at any rate), but I'm not sure how that would work in practice. At the end of the day though, it doesn't truly pain me to have a GAF clan name until a merge is more comfortable.

-------------------------------

Unrelated to that and why I ventured over here:

The new Clash with Ash video had a great guest. No need to actually watch; it's a discussion you can play in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNH0nkZKVi8&t=0s

The guest is a complete f2p player Ash met at King's Cup who offered some great insights into issues that f2p players face. The problems aren't anything new, but he had some really good insight into those issues (and I spend money on the game to not deal with some of these issues quite so much). He talked about the problem where (if you don't spend $ on gems) you don't really get to enjoy new cards since they're weak on ladder and you can't play challenges regularly, and he emphasized having a free way to play at a level playing field (like in tournaments, if Supercell ever fixes them, which I'd love).

But I also thought he had some really interesting ideas with regard to balancing certain cards. I hadn't heard these ideas before and thought they made a lot of sense.

And who doesn't like talking about card balancing?

- Royal Giant. He emphasized that the reason this card is cancerous is because he's broken in a mechanical way and shouldn't have ever been nerfed the way he was. The problem is that he's a long ranged tank, and since he stands at the bridge, removing support becomes much more difficult since they're behind the bridge (can't drop a unit on them like when you play vs Golem) aaaand you've got a massive tank to cut through in front of the support. And because he's 6 elixer, anybody can just drop him at the bridge for instant damage (pre-nerf), while instantly providing support, and that feels terrible to play against. The problem is that player's never had to earn that kind of push, and that the card would have worked much better as a 7 or 8 elixer cost card. This would mean you'd have to earn it via pumping, or you'd rely on only have double elixer time to really get good damage on the tower (like other beatdown decks). And even if they had an over-leveled RG, they couldn't just drop it at the bridge instantly drop a counter troop to yours.

- Elite Barbarians. The problem with Elite Barbarians aren't their stats (it was at launch, but not before the nerfed them into oblivion most recently) - it's a mechanical issue again. It's the fucking outside barbarian - he so easily runs past your distraction and just starts smashing the tower. If you're at 4 elixer and you fuck that knight placement up in the short amount of time you have (god forbid you get a half second of lag), say goodbye to your tower when that overleveled EB latches on. Solution: these dudes either need more eyesight so you can distract both of them more easily, or their pathing needs to change so that they run in a line formation across the bridge. Now Elite Barbs are way less annoying. They're a fun and unique card that you can deal with in the center with both towers helping (even if they're a couple levels over your own).

- Giant Skeleton. He's suggesting another mechanical tweak. Supercell doesn't want to really mess with Giant Skeleton because he's so defensive and can be so annoying. Solution: leave him untouched, but lower his eyesight just a bit so that you can't use ice golem or giant to kite him across the field. This would actually make him more offensive, as he'll stay in the lane you're focusing on and generally get to the tower more often.

- Dark Prince. They keep buffing his stats, but they're not focusing on what makes him special. It's not his useless dash (way too easy to counter these days), it's his shield. Right now it's very low HP and falls almost instantly, but that's the mechanic that makes him interesting - a splash character with a shield. Bump his shield way up (maybe closer to a cannon cart's?) and lower his stats again. Valk is the better splash card with it's 360 splash, and the dash is useless - make it more survivable.

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm happy whatever ends up happening now or later clan wise . But I call that I get to be in Toto's clan at the end of the day. He's helped me more than most and I enjoy his posts/advice.

You know you want me for my clan chest pushes!

GuyFive

Oct 26, 2017
It's elixir cost or riot. Maybe it's the engineer in me but god damn is it a pretty way to think about it. Rarity even knows elixir is the right choice because it goes by elixir after sorting by rarity. It's no question.