• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool. I'll just use that excuse the next time I want to shout something racist at a co-worker. It's muh first amendment right.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLCf1iHogk/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kndelj8jllfj

Has someone posted the wapo interview yet? This kid wants me to believe he doesn't know what sieg heil looks like or represents? Come on.

Edit: My favorite part is later in the interview where he mentions they did actually know what it meant and were sorry to anyone they offended

His body languaga gives it all away. The smile that he can't even surpress is an obvious clue of someone who thinks they are getting away with doing something wrong, or duping others.

Sorry kid, you should have never done the interview, your lack of care for the subject is damning.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Just another reason for my Jewish ass to limit my time in the US. Not that the rest of the world is much better.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine how terrible it must be for a PoC at that school? I hope their parents are paying attention and get them out ASAP.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018

Well fucking said Sarah, damn.

This is absolutely disgraceful. Still a lot of bigotry and hate in the Wisconsin / Midwest area and it's really sad.

edit:
"We cannot know the intentions in the hearts of those who were involved," she reportedly wrote. "Moreover, because of students' First Amendment rights, the district is not in a position to punish the students for their actions."
First amendment doesn't protect hate speech Lori, you dipshit. And a group Nazi salute sure as hell can be classified as such.

Last edited:

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
First Anendment huh? Ok. Just keep that same energy when these grads have trouble in the future.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This has parental backlash written all over it. The parents would raise a shitstorm if their seniors were disciplined (I've seen it happen over less severe infractions. Parents lose their shit if there's a possibility that they'll be blocked from walking at graduation or banned from prom or other things).

But I'd ban all of those shits from all extracurriculars and put them all in an extra history class pertaining to what they're fucking with that they have to pass or not graduate.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
"We cannot know the intentions in the hearts of those who were involved," she reportedly wrote. "Moreover, because of students' First Amendment rights, the district is not in a position to punish the students for their actions."

This is complete bullshit and a complete cop-out. There were a few kids who threw up gang signs in my junior high school graduation photo, and they got in deep shit from the school. These kids were also white, and didn't have any gang connections. They just did it to be "edgy".

I mean, the first ammendment is the freedom to say what you want, not freedom from consequences of what you say. I don't give a fuck if you "cannot know the intentions" of some high school kids throwing up the Nazi salute. It's not acceptable in any sort of school function, ever.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people in my class getting suspended for Pokemon cards and you're gonna let the little Nazis get out of this unscathed because "we don't know what's in their heart?"

White supremacy in action.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I wonder if any of the students will not challenge the school, since, they just said you can be a nazi because of free speech. They should protest holding signs calling the school nazi high or something, because, I'm sure the school has their back, after all. Just their first amendment rights in action!

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Saying their hands are tied because it's not illegal is bizarre. Are the kids allowed to swear in class due to free speech? Can they call their teachers morons? I wonder what would happen if a student wore a shirt that said 'Lori Mueller is a giant bitch'?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLCf1iHogk/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kndelj8jllfj

Has someone posted the wapo interview yet? This kid wants me to believe he doesn't know what sieg heil looks like or represents? Come on.

Edit: My favorite part is later in the interview where he mentions they did actually know what it meant and were sorry to anyone they offended
It's a stupid defence all around. Like my 12 year old niece has at least heard of WW2 and Hitler (yeah it came up during a remembrance day question she had on why we celebrate it. I mentioned ww1 and 2, I said Nazis add she goes "oh yeah, my teacher told us, they did bad things")

I fail to believe teenagers don't know about it anywhere. Kid is lying

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
First amendment doesn't protect hate speech Lori, you dipshit. And a group Nazi salute sure as hell can be classified as such.

The first amendment actually protects hate speech and I'm glad the first amendment does so.

However, I 100% agree it's a bullshit response from the district. These seniors should be suspended. Back in 2002 when I finished high school, I know a few guys who were suspended and banned from the ceremony for far less than this. It wasn't even a controversy, as the school had full discretion as to who walked. Basically they got their transcript in the mail.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I mean it legally does, but this is a school, a school can in fact punish for speech, I'm free to tell you to go fuck yourself for example in the US, but if one of those students told his principal to let's say: "go fuck a goat, you ugly piece of shit" he could be reprimanded.

The idea that the school can't punish students here because of the First Amendment is the school's way of saying we don't want to punish them without actually saying that, probably because the school is actually sympathetic to the white nationalist movement.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The first amendment actually protects hate speech and I'm glad the first amendment does so.

However, I 100% agree it's a bullshit response from the district. These seniors should be suspended. Back in 2002 when I finished high school, I know a few guys who were suspended and banned from the ceremony for far less than this. It wasn't even a controversy, as the school had full discretion as to who walked. Basically they got their transcript in the mail.
Since it was like last May, fine, don't suspend them. But, there are certainly more creative ways to administer a punishment for this, be it some kind of community service, or, mandatory school activity, or some kind of education classes.

Letting these kids get away completely with it is a bad lesson, but also sends a message to the minority students that the school won't protect you from harassment or hate. Just a horrible move. And it also opens them up to other students now getting away with whatever the hell they want all in the name of free speech. They should be challenged on it.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018

I mean it legally does, but this is a school, a school can in fact punish for speech, I'm free to tell you to go fuck yourself for example in the US, but if one of those students told his principal to let's say: "go fuck a goat, you ugly piece of shit" he could be reprimanded.

The idea that the school can't punish students here because of the First Amendment is the school's way of saying we don't want to punish them without actually saying that, probably because the school is actually sympathetic to the white nationalist movement.

Both correct. It was late and I misread some rulings, so that was my bad. Agree about the school using this as a cop out to avoid punishing the kids though.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
Prolly a nearly all white school, sad that they are using a cop out. I see similar things happen in Mi makes me wanna see if it's any better living west.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with Sarah on everything except the kid in the front row playing the circle game. He wasn't holding the OK symbol up in a shape that's supposed to look like WP ( white power). I'm pretty sure that kid was just playing the circle game where it's held below your waist to get people to look at it.

Everyone is already doing the nazi salute. If he wanted it to be the white power symbol, he would have just held it up.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. It doesn't protect you from ALL consequences of being a piece of shit. Situations like this are still very much punishable. If you can punish a kid for calling his classmate a Hanzo main I'm pretty sure nazi salutes can warrant some punishment too.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that school. Don't know what's in their hearts, my ass. Tons of kids have been reprimanded for much less.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I agree with Sarah on everything except the kid in the front row playing the circle game. He wasn't holding the OK symbol up in a shape that's supposed to look like WP ( white power). I'm pretty sure that kid was just playing the circle game where it's held below your waist to get people to look at it.

Everyone is already doing the nazi salute. If he wanted it to be the white power symbol, he would have just held it up.
Nah fam

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Wait the circle game is now white supremacy?

Fuck my life and every right ass hole who ruins every part of my childhood.

Oct 25, 2017
The circle game is a nazi symbol now? I did that at work the other day to a friend. Now I feel like shit.
Wait the circle game is now white supremacy?
The "circle game" in the context of everyone around you throwing up the Nazi Roman salute is not actually playing the circle game and is instead a white supremacist gesture/meme.

SCOTUS has consistently held that the 1st amendment is nowhere near as broad as usual for school children.
Indeed, I think the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" decision would allow the school to action this.

Depending on the setting, such as a private meeting with no other students, a student telling a principal to "go fuck a goat, you ugly piece of shit" would be protected.

I mean, of course the school would punish a student that did that regardless of the setting, just that the student would have a case if the student's family decided to press it.

True that.

And not to take away from that (organizations can have multiple reasons for why they do what they do,) they may also be weighing the likelihood of one of the 60+ assholes being related to a lawyer that would file a lawsuit. I could see a local jury being easily swayed by a platiff's lawyer's sob story and First Amendment claims.

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Why are people bringing up the dumb circle game excuse? Only time it was ever relevant was in my elementary school days, who still does that shit in 2018? Dude knew exactly what he was doing.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love if they all never found good jobs and flipped burgers forever. Fuck these ass hats.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
So nothing is going to happen to them. Great. Let's keep it up.

Free speech is the dumbest excuse thanks to an even dumber policy.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Why are people bringing up the dumb circle game excuse? Only time it was ever relevant was in my elementary school days, who still does that shit in 2018? Dude knew exactly what he was doing.

I'm not saying you are wrong about what the kid was doing. I just want to say people definitely still play the circle game. I've got a lot of younger cousins. Some elementary, some high school, and even some in college and I've seen them play that stupid shit.

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I'm not saying you are wrong about what the kid was doing. I just want to say people definitely still play the circle game. I've got a lot of younger cousins. Some elementary, some high school, and even some in college and I've seen them play that stupid shit.
Fair enough, I haven't encountered the game or seen anyone playing it since those days so I thought it died off as some early 2000 stuff.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The fucking picture was awful enough, but the ensuing shitshow afterwards about protecting their FREES PEACH is revolting. I bet the same fuckers and schools who are protecting this were the ones who raised shit at athletes who took a knee during the anthem.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
Free Speech doesn't cover deliberate hate actions. The fact anyone can defend that it does makes them complicit in condoning this shit.