Classic DOOM Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Shanaynay

Oct 27, 2017
Fun Fact: My first experience of Doom was the PS1 game, in 1996. I later played the PC version of Doom 2...and discovered, to my horror, what an Arch-Vile was.
Little trivia but the arch-vile death sound in Doom II was a heavily distorted little girl saying "why". It's pretty creepy when you think about it.
Also, speaking of arch-viles, on PSX doom they were cut but a few years ago PSX Doom composer Aubrey Hodges released the sound files for a potential AV in PSX. You can check it out and download the sounds here on his personal blog. I'm not sure if they ever ended up adding AV to the PSX Doom mod on doomworld with these new sounds.

Kylac

Oct 31, 2017
MA
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56480

Hedon is finished - mostly. Some bugfixes and stuff I guess. Haven't started it myself yet but by all counts it's fantastic. Definitely don't want to miss this project!

And local doomboy Dragonfly is working on Prodeus. He's the lead of Eviternity which I posted about earlier! This game is on my radar now!

Kylac

Oct 31, 2017
MA
Yeah saw that video earlier today. As a very bad novice Doom 2 speedrunner I know how bad that run is. I don't bother with the wallrun because it's too difficult for me. I'm curious what my time is. Might have to practice up a bit and see how close i can get.

I recommend the guy's previous video about Shockblast's 8 second run on Hanger. That's very informative as well.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
You should all watch an incredible half an hour video on the speed running progression of The Chasm, from 1996 to the present day.

Amazing video! Every now and then I sort of want to get into Doom speedrunning, but those advanced phystics-abuse tactics are so far above my head that I lose interest in trying. Still, it's awesome to see this kind of stuff.

Kylac

Oct 31, 2017
MA

IT'S HERE. 10 YEARS I'VE WAITED AND IT'S HERE. BEST E3 EVER

Shanaynay

Oct 27, 2017
With the recent re-release of DOOM/DOOM II I began playing a couple of WADs with GZDoom. Downloaded the PSX TC mod, which I already played but I never went through the full thing where like, it's every single official levels across all Doom + the lost levels and NRFTL. PSX Doom is a port I grew to like more and more as years went by, that hasn't changed here!

Also downloaded "The Adventures of Square" I know Episode 2 released sorta recently and I love how adorable the mod is. Also got some Heretic megawad, i'll check out the cacoward/top 100 doom wad articles on doomworld just to get a couple more levels.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Wanna give props for wadsmoosh! For anyone who doesn't know what it does:

WadSmoosh merges your provided Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Master Levels, No Rest for the Living, Final Doom, and Sigil data into a single IWAD file that can be played in GZDoom, with each game as its own entry in the episode list. This makes it very convenient to play all of classic Doom's official releases without relaunching the game with different settings.

It's fine if you don't have all of the Doom games, eg you have Doom 2 but not Final Doom - WadSmoosh will package up everything it can find.

Its awesome!

Awesome Kev

Jan 10, 2018
Daytona Beach
You should all watch an incredible half an hour video on the speed running progression of The Chasm, from 1996 to the present day.

That was awesome!

Always loved playing a level over and over again, tryin to come up with my own speed run tactics. I was nowhere near even the first few runs in that video, lol, not even close. But still, it was always enjoyable. Doom is such a timeless classic, it's so awesome to see the first game I ever played still loved by so many nearly 30 years old.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
idERA Discord server link below!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

IT'S HERE. 10 YEARS I'VE WAITED AND IT'S HERE. BEST E3 EVER
A return so anticipated it managed to outshine the revival of Deus Vult II, which also came out of nowhere.

Last edited: