• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Y7fKbC4.png

This thread is for discussing all things classic DOOM, including DOOM 64. Check out the Classic Doom Community Thread: The Leftovers!, created by Redneckerzand Pasokon Deacon, for discussion about significant mods, wads, and the Cacowards.

What is the difference between DOOM and The Ultimate DOOM?
Doom is the first release of the Doom series. The game is divided into three nine-level episodes. It was first released on December 10, 1993, when a shareware copy, containing the first episode, was uploaded to an FTP server at the University of Wisconsin.

The Ultimate Doom is an expanded version of Doom released on April 30, 1995, that adds a fourth nine-level episode to the game, Thy Flesh Consumed, which contains seven regular levels, one secret level, and one boss level. The enhanced version was made as an incentive in the distribution of the boxed game through retail stores and venues, although to be fair to fans who had previously registered Doom, id Software provided them with a freely available patch to upgrade their copy of Doom version 1.9 to The Ultimate Doom.

Master Levels for DOOM II
The Master Levels for Doom II was released on December 26, 1995 by id Software as an expansion pack for Doom II. The PlayStation version of Final Doom includes 13 levels from the Master Levels.

No Rest For the Living
No Rest for the Living is the title of the new Doom II episode developed by Nerve Software for the release of Doom II on the XBLA. It is also included in the Doom 3 BFG Edition.

74u2wrt.png

ib9vT0Q.png

Oljk0oi.png

jAuIaLQ.png

dKXUwXX.png

EnTGxGf.png

DjpYVuw.png

Chocolate Doom
It aims to accurately reproduce the experience of playing Vanilla Doom. It is a conservative, historically accurate Doom source port, which is compatible with the thousands of mods and levels that were made before the Doom source code was released. Rather than flashy new graphics, Chocolate Doom's main features are its accurate reproduction of the game as it was played in the 1990s.
GZDoom
GZDoom is a Doom source port based on ZDoom. It features an OpenGL renderer and lots of new features such as 3D floors, Dynamic lights, skyboxes, True color textures and models.
Zandronum
Zandronum is a multiplayer oriented port, based off Skulltag
Doomsday Engine
The Doomsday Engine is a greatly enhanced DOOM source port available for Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu and most other Unix platforms (source code is provided).
Doomsday supports many games including the classic first-person shooters DOOM, Heretic and Hexen.
We aim to retain the original feel of the games yet leverage modern techniques and technologies, including hardware accelerated 3D graphics and client/server networking. A lot of emphasis is placed on good-looking graphics.
ScoreDOOM
Sourceport based on GZDoom which adds a score system. Points are scored when shooting/killing monsters, achieving map objectives, finding secrets & map items in the quickest time possible (as well as scoring points in other ways), etc.
Odamex
Open source doom sourceport specialized in oldschool multiplayer features. Also has other enhancements over regular Doom such as mouselook and jumping (which can both be turned off on the server level). Full Boom compatibility. Launcher and server browser included, nothing else needed!
ManDoom created by Tain
ManDoom is a slightly modified ZDoom Windows build made to make every player death permanent by disallowing abuse of the save and load features of the Doom engine. ManDoom can also provide randomly-generated maps every session.

lnKsGVO.png

Doom Launcher
Doom Launcher by hobomaster22 is a Doom Frontend that doesn't only serve as a startup-utility but as a whole database for all your original doom-engine games and all your custom wads, pk3s and projects for Doom and similar games. It can be compared to D-Fend Reloaded (a DOSBOX database frontend) and has similar awesome features to sort, organize and keep track of your collection.
  • Direct download and metadata update from /idgames (through API)
  • Add mods by drag and drop (ZIP including WAD/PK3/DEH/TXT)
  • Automatic scraping of title, author, release date and description from the included textfile
  • Importing screenshots directly from the sourceport into the database
  • Maintaining demos and savegames
  • Scans files for map lump names (e.g. E4M3, MAP20, STR20)
  • Add any sourceports to the database
  • Selecting specific files within a ZIP file
  • Tagging mods with custom unlimited colored tags
  • Shows play-statistics (killed monsters, collected items, play time)
  • Automatic daily database backups
Mod Installation Instructions
Instructions by Raptomex
Since ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Skulltag, and ScoreDoom can all be set up the same way and are probably some the most popular source ports for Doom, these instructions will apply to these source ports only. There are tons of source ports for Doom and each one should contain instructions so be sure to read them before installing anything.

The very first thing you want to do is install your copy of any of the Doom games. Whether it's on Steam, copying the files from the disk, or elsewhere. Once you install the game open up the game directory. For Steam users, go to your SteamApps\Common directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Ultimate Doom\base
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\base
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Final Doom\base
This next part is easy:
For The Ultimate Doom, copy or move the DOOM.WAD out of the base folder to wherever you want.
For DOOM II, copy or move the DOOM2.WAD out of the base folder to wherever you want.
For Final DOOM copy or move PLUTONIA.WAD and TNT.WAD out of the base folder to wherever you want.
Now you can uninstall everything else. These are the only files you need. These specific WAD files are called IWADS.

The DOOM 2 IWAD that comes with the DOOM 3 BFG Edition contains the extra episode "No Rest For the Living". It is also named "DOOM2.WAD". Not all the source ports support this IWAD yet as far as I know. Browse around to make sure your source port supports it before playing it. I'd recommend keeping this IWAD separated from the rest.

Now download any of the source ports. Zandronum includes an exe that will auto install for you. The rest you can download and just extract the contents from the zip or rar into a folder. Name the folder whatever you want. If you want to use all of these source ports I would recommend creating separate folders for each port. Now run the source port exe (zdoom.exe, gzdoom.exe, etc.) It should ask you to set a path to your IWADS. Also, running the exe should create an ini file for configuration.

Please read carefully. Close the source port and locate the the ini file (zandronum-[your name].ini, zdoom-[your name].ini, etc.) It should be in the same folder as the exe. Open the ini file using any text editor. I use Notepad. At the top you should see the following:
[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Right below Path=$PROGDIR add PATH=[location of your IWADS]. If you have all of your IWADS in one folder you can just type in the path to that folder. If you have each IWAD in different folders than create a PATH= for each one. I keep all my IWADS in one folder so my set up looks like this:
[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\IWADS
Once you launch the source port again it should bring up a menu asking you which game you want to play. Select the game (WAD) and click "Play".

Mods are usually in the WAD file extension but some are in PK3. Either way running either one works the same way. Chances are if you've done this before most of the instructions you find online is to drag and drop the mod onto your source port exe and play. This is the simplest way to run any mod or megawad. Some mods only work with certain IWADS so be sure you read the mod instructions. Launching the wrong game won't break anything, it may just give you an error, or just launch the vanilla game.

Now if you enjoy a mod so much that you want it to launch all the time this is where autoloading comes in. For example I keep Zandronum dedicated to Brutal Doom. So everytime I run Zandronum and play any Doom game it will always load Brutal Doom. You can still drag and drop other wads onto your exe if you want to run multiple mods. To autoload a mod open up your ini file again. Scroll down until you see:
[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]
You will use the same Path structure as described above for the IWADS. Placing paths underneath these will autoload any mods you wish to run for whichever game. For example, any mod path under "Doom.Autoload" will load that mod for all the Doom IWADS. Any mod path under "Doom1.Autoload" should load any mods for DOOM, "Doom2.Autoload" = DOOM 2. "TNT.Autoload" = TNT, etc. So as I stated above I use Zandronum to autoload Brutal Doom and several other mods so my set up looks like this:
[Doom.Autoload]
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\Mods\brutal19.pk3
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\Mods\iconboss.wad
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\Mods\DoomMetalVol4.wad
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\Mods\BDMutator_DannyGloverOriginalFuckYourself.pk3
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\Mods\BTSXHUD-Brutal.pk3
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom\Mods\mXhairs_1.8.pk3
As you can see I'm loading both WADS and PK3 files. Also important to note, some mods may be compatible with other mods, so again read the instructions from wherever you get them. It may require a specific load order to run correctly.

OmzKVUS.png

Information & Resources
id Software
The Doom Wiki
Doomworld
Doomworld /idgames database (largest Doom WAD database)

Doom Editing
Doom Builder
SLADE

DOOM 64
Doom64 EX

DOOM 3 Mods
Phobos
The Dark Mod
Perfected Doom 3
Classic Doom 3
Last Man Standing

Other Games
DoomRL (Doom, the Roguelike)

0RTKPpR.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Wait...whoa, I didn't expect this, not so quickly at least!

I set up a Discord server for the Doom community thread over at GAF on the 21st, and a few regulars from that thread made the jump. Though I wasn't able to get them included for the initial invites, I think we can reunite on this forum eventually. Recently I played through a couple of megawads—Back to Saturn X Episode 1 (/idgames release) and Obituary—and I'm on Doomworld now just knowing I'll play more. Getting back into Doom was a great idea.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...whoa, I didn't expect this, not so quickly at least!

I set up a Discord server for the Doom community thread over at GAF on the 21st, and a few regulars from that thread made the jump. Though I wasn't able to get them included for the initial invites, I think we can reunite on this forum eventually. Recently I played through a couple of megawads—Back to Saturn X Episode 1 (/idgames release) and Obituary—and I'm on Doomworld now just knowing I'll play more. Getting back into Doom was a great idea.
I started the thread on GAF and just pulled it all over here. I removed some stuff to make room for more and to keep it simpler. I got rid of the WAD links since there's so many out there. Plus, on GAF I reached the character limit. I wanted to avoid that here. I also gave it a more proper title to reflect the classic series and to not confuse it with the newer games. Not that they're not welcome here.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Greetings.
Been enjoying the original lately. I was a bit young when it first came out. May mess with mods and WADs some day. Will watch this thread.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Greetings.
Been enjoying the original lately. I was a bit young when it first came out. May mess with mods and WADs some day. Will watch this thread.
You certainly should. There are so many excellent mods and WADs. I've been playing with the Trailblazer mod recently. Love the action hero stuff. Excellent new arsenal.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
My usual mods are Final Doomer, Smooth Doom, Reelism, Russian Overkill, and Demonsteele. Some others are in my library, just untouched atm. I'm also a sucker for total conversions like Adventures of Square, MM8BDM, Rise of the Wool Ball, and Hocus Pocus DOOM.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
My usual mods are Final Doomer, Smooth Doom, Reelism, Russian Overkill, and Demonsteele. Some others are in my library, just untouched atm. I'm also a sucker for total conversions like Adventures of Square, MM8BDM, Rise of the Wool Ball, and Hocus Pocus DOOM.

Whoa, that's a bunch. Are they all WADs? Or is there some sort of mod manager? Just curious, I'm not gonna get into it just yet. I got Wolfenstein to beat.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
No rush! I've made a huge library of stuff like this over the past year. Of the above mods, only Reelism has unique maps to play on, while the TCs are totally new despite (mostly) requiring Doom II to run (and MM8BDM's a deathmatch-oriented TC). For managing my library, I use Doom Launcher, which is bulky but lets you tag files in its database for easier sorting.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
No rush! I've made a huge library of stuff like this over the past year. Of the above mods, only Reelism has unique maps to play on, while the TCs are totally new despite (mostly) requiring Doom II to run (and MM8BDM's a deathmatch-oriented TC). For managing my library, I use Doom Launcher, which is bulky but lets you tag files in its database for easier sorting.
Could not remember the name of it. I knew there was a launcher. Thanks. Adding this to the OP.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info!

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the classic Doom games after I played through 2016 Doom and loved them. I played them a little bit back in the day but I didn't really get into FPS until much later so I kinda skipped them, but I still play them now, they're fascinatingly addictive.

EDIT: Do want to mention though that your GZDoom link is broken.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the classic Doom games after I played through 2016 Doom and loved them. I played them a little bit back in the day but I didn't really get into FPS until much later so I kinda skipped them, but I still play them now, they're fascinatingly addictive.

EDIT: Do want to mention though that your GZDoom link is broken.
Fixed.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
huh, wasn't expecting to see this here so soon. been catching up on some of the recent cacowards winners. really like mutiny and JCP so far.
also finally got around to doing a full playthrough of evilution. habitat, baron's den and mount pain are probably my runners up for worst semi-professional maps of all time. oof
next up is probably BTSX2 as i've given up on it ever leaving beta. ;)

edit: requesting addition of prboom+ to list of source ports

Last edited:

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I love going back and play Doom/Doom 2 over again every so often. It's amazing how well they hold up. Still a blast to play.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
Greetings.
the only mod i'd say is absolutely essential even for first time players is pk's high-res sfx wad. many of the game's effects are resampled from their original sources (or at least very accurate reconstructions) and it's a vast improvement if you have a decent set of speakers/headphones.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
How hard is this to get running on a MacBook?
Modern source ports like GZDoom, Zandronum, and PrBoom+ all have macOS versions with a range of system requirements. You'll get a lot more laggy performance using GZDoom for effects-laden WADs and mods than you would playing maps in PrBoom+ which have thousands of upper-tier enemies. To start up a custom WAD or PK3, you just have to drah and drop the file over the application, or use a macOS-friendly frontend to manage the load order.

Nem

Oct 25, 2017
Been replaying through the classic Doom games again this time with Smooth Doom, High-res SFX, PSX music.

Can someone recommend me some wads that would go well with these? I like my Doom close to vanilla and moody but I'd be open to slight improvements to the look, such as the ones Smooth Doom offer.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I went back to Ultimate Doom few months ago and I still somewhat remembered everything from first episode. Second and third episodes were quite fun on Hurt me plenty but fourth episode had some awful levels; Perfect Hatred (2nd) and Against Thee Wickedly (6th). They had many similarities: Huge lava/poison pool, tons of enemies, annoying to traverse and Cyberdemon at the end of both levels.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I really like Prefect Hatred despite its difficulty. There's a number of interesting challenges, starting with the caco swarm and then climaxing right as the Cyberdemon breaks free (though I prefer the cavern trap before that). But it's really a shame to hear you don't like Against Thee Wickedly which I think is a cooler, more ambitious Romero map with great sense of place and tricky but fair navigation and fights. Hazard pools aren't an issue so long as you keep on top of where the different medikits, armor, and other items are, and you get enough room to dodge projectiles and manage enemies.

Can someone recommend me some wads that would go well with these? I like my Doom close to vanilla and moody but I'd be open to slight improvements to the look, such as the ones Smooth Doom offer.
Smooth Doom's the best means I know of to greatly improve the game's look without becoming inauthentic to the original aesthetic. Most WADs built for Doom II will show off all the cool added animations and graphics, so just go with a classic like Alien Vendetta or something new and smaller like Brigandine or Counterattack.

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful OT! Doom is one of my all time favorites. I still remember the first time I played Doom on the SNES (Yes I loved it, and the music was kickass!)

CHK

Oct 25, 2017
London
Great OT. Think it's finally time for my annual replay of the classic Dooms. Any new / interesting wads that people can recommend?

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Great OT. Think it's finally time for my annual replay of the classic Dooms. Any new / interesting wads that people can recommend?
From the last year, I'm watching out for:

• No End in Sight (4-episode Ultimate Doom megawad with modern-style play)
  • Brigandine (super-detailed and very playable Doom II map)
  • Counterattack (enormous Doom II episode with long-form maps but easier hordes to fight if you can't handle "slaughtermaps")
  • Legacy of Heroes (Doom II episode with varied textures taken from Eternal Doom)
  • New Gothic Movement 2 (crazy, hard and grandiose slaughtermaps, maybe play the first one before this)
  • Rise of the Wool Ball (cute TC which evolves Rise of the Triad)
  • TNT: Revilution (megawad-size tribute to TNT from Final Doom)
Definitely check the Cacowards on Doomworld for many great WADs/TCs from previous years.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
I went back to Ultimate Doom few months ago and I still somewhat remembered everything from first episode. Second and third episodes were quite fun on Hurt me plenty but fourth episode had some awful levels; Perfect Hatred (2nd) and Against Thee Wickedly (6th). They had many similarities: Huge lava/poison pool, tons of enemies, annoying to traverse and Cyberdemon at the end of both levels.
whoa whoa whoa, hold on now! i'm gonna have to strongly disagree with you there: e4m2 and e4m6 are probably the two best iwad maps ever and represent romero at the peak of his abilities. both are ingenious examples of wonderfully contradictory design: lots of open space to make you vulnerable, but have very unorthodox geometry with little room to maneuver putting you on a very tight leash in every fight, making you carefully plan each move and make good use of the game's advanced movement techniques. on harder difficulties, finding the secrets and making smart use of the powerups becomes more or less mandatory, particularly when dealing with the cyberdemon on both maps. very few vanilla maps have ever given me the same satisfaction as solving these two on UV pistol start.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they had gone all the way and had Classic DOOM's status face into DOOM 2016. At least as an unlockable for beating the game or something.

doomguy.gif

In other news I need to start DOOM 64 after I finish Arcane Dimensions for Quake.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
whoa whoa whoa, hold on now! i'm gonna have to strongly disagree with you there: e4m2 and e4m6 are probably the two best iwad maps ever and represent romero at the peak of his abilities. both are ingenious examples of wonderfully contradictory design: lots of open space to make you vulnerable, but have very unorthodox geometry with little room to maneuver putting you on a very tight leash in every fight, making you carefully plan each move and make good use of the game's advanced movement techniques. on harder difficulties, finding the secrets and making smart use of the powerups becomes more or less mandatory, particularly when dealing with the cyberdemon on both maps. very few vanilla maps have ever given me the same satisfaction as solving these two on UV pistol start.

Well yeah, they just became so unexpected back then. Maybe a change of pace from other levels, but boy did it take some experimenting to do to finish (especially teleports on E4M6). I remember having very little ammo on one part of E4M2 and had to rely on chainsaw on many parts. Both levels however did make me hate Cacodemons for eternity. Didn't rely on cheats tho.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Love classic DOOM! I've kept my GZDoom setup quite basic with Smooth Doom (certainly the best!), lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3 which are packed with GZDoom, DOOMMetalVol.4 (the 2013 one) and SimpleHUD making the game truly fullscreen with only hp/armor/ammo/keys visible.
Sometimes I might throw DHTP high res textures in the mix for some variety. Haven't updated it in a long time though...

Need to try that high-res SFX pack now, somehow missed it before.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody played Happy Time Circus (1 or 2)? I watched a stream of the original the other night, looks like a lot of fun, especially for this time of year. The sequel is even better apparently, so I'll be checking that out too.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
One of my all time favorite games, so might as well make this my first post from the migration. These days, my setup consists of a modernized HD build where I play true to form maps (or at least, as close as you can get). Here's my loadout using GZDooM. I turn off jumping and crouching by the way.
  • DooM Metal Pack Vol. 4
  • DooM SFX 2012
  • Project Brutality Test 3.0 (need Discord for this one)
  • Ultra Doom Visor v2.12
  • DHTP 10/17
  • Smooth Textures
  • Lights
  • BrightMaps

And here's a list of some of my personal favorite IWADs for my play setup.
  • DooM
  • DooM II
  • Plutonia
  • TNT
  • E1M4b
  • E1M8b
  • DooM - The Way iD Did
  • DooM II - The Way iD Did
  • 2002: A DooM Odyssey
  • Plutonia II
  • Plutonia: Revisited

Last edited:

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
my setup hasn't changed much in the last decade: crispy doom replaced chocolate doom for iwad play, prboom+ for everything else. i use zdoom only for things that require zdoom features, like square and pirate doom. call me boring, but for the most part i only play boom compatible wads. for music i used an sc88pro and mu100 but recently started using the sound canvas va plugin which is a huge improvement over the old virtual sound canvas.

my favorite pwads would have to include BTSX, going down, no rest for the living, deus vult 2, pretty much anything by skillsaw (lunatic, valiant, etc)...maybe also some smaller profile stuff like breach, brigandine, double impact, and hadephobia.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
my setup hasn't changed much in the last decade: crispy doom replaced chocolate doom for iwad play, prboom+ for everything else. i use zdoom only for things that require zdoom features, like square and pirate doom. call me boring, but for the most part i only play boom compatible wads. for music i used an sc88pro and mu100 but recently started using the sound canvas va plugin which is a huge improvement over the old virtual sound canvas.

my favorite pwads would have to include BTSX, going down, no rest for the living, deus vult 2, pretty much anything by skillsaw (lunatic, valiant, etc)...maybe also some smaller profile stuff like breach, brigandine, double impact, and hadephobia.
You must be luka from the old forum, right? Glad to see you here! I still need to play many recent WADs and Cacoward winners, as I've been focusing on old classics.

I'll probably replay some earlier WADs in Chocolate Doom years from now, just to have an easier time since the resolution only goes so high in that source port. Sound Canvas VA's great for lots of old games, but I wonder if Patch33's SC-55 soundfont is accurate enough for both IWADs and user-made MIDIs. No one's gonna compose for SC VA anytime soon because of the cost.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
You must be luka from the old forum, right? Glad to see you here! I still need to play many recent WADs and Cacoward winners, as I've been focusing on old classics.

I'll probably replay some earlier WADs in Chocolate Doom years from now, just to have an easier time since the resolution only goes so high in that source port. Sound Canvas VA's great for lots of old games, but I wonder if Patch33's SC-55 soundfont is accurate enough for both IWADs and user-made MIDIs. No one's gonna compose for SC VA anytime soon because of the cost.
hey thanks :)

if a composer doesn't specify the soundfont they used, then it's probably just microsoft gs wavetable. roland sounds usually end up being good for almost everything regardless. the va plugin is definitely pretty expensive for what it is though, you could easily get a real 55/88 for that on ebay.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being amazed by Doom when it first came out. Such a major leap forward in terms of technology.
Doom 2 LAN death match was great my freshman year of college. Such a fun game.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I grew up playing the PS1 version of Doom/II. I've always loved the series, still play the first two games regularly to this day, usually the Xbox 360 versions. I'll need to try out some of the mods in here at some point.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Back at the old place, user Tain submitted his Doom source port called ManDoom. It adds permadeath among other things. From what I remember of our discussion, much of the outside Doom community didn't like that aspect but I thought it was cool. Definitely a new challenge. Does anyone know the user is here? I'd like to put it back in the OT and give credit.

ManDoom is a slightly modified ZDoom Windows build made to make every player death permanent by disallowing abuse of the save and load features of the Doom engine. ManDoom can also provide randomly-generated maps every session.

CHK

Oct 25, 2017
London
Finished my run of Ultimate Doom. Was using PSX Doom soundtrack, Brutal Doom, and Doom 2016 Weapons wads. Super fun as always. Now onto Doom II.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Bumping this with, what else? The 2017 Cacowards!

X5M2H0x.jpg

Espi Award for Lifetime Achievement goes to Marisa "Randi" Heit for creating and maintaining the ZDoom source port for nearly 18 years.

Top Ten - Page 1

• lilith.pk3
  • Shadows of the Nightmare Realm
  • No End in Sight
Top Ten - Page 2

• Dead.air
  • Brigandine
  • Counterattack
Top Ten - Page 3

• Legacy of Heroes
  • Saturnine Chapel
  • Stardate 20X7
  • Void and Rainbow
Multiplayer Awards

• Pyrrhic
  • Progressive Duel 2
Gameplay Mod Awards

• Doom Delta
  • Final Doomer
  • High Noon Drifter
Other Awards

• Codeaward [OBLIGE random map generator]
  • Mordeth Award [Both of the TNT fan sequel projects, mainly Revilution which just released but also Devilution still in the works]
  • Mockaward [Forever gone! Instead, the new Machaward has appeared to celebrate the "most creative, unusual, or artistically compelling project of the year", which the judges awarded to dobu gabu maru's The Given]
  • Mapper of the Year goes to dobu gabu maru for many community maps, Saturnine Chapel, The Given, and maintaining the monthly Doomworld Megawad Club

RUNNERS UP

• Rise of the Wool Ball
  • Hadron E2
  • Revilution
  • Waterlab GZD
  • Disjunction
  • Curse of the Demon Lord
  • Water Spirit
  • Hellscape
  • Dark Tide
Some drama about TNT: Revilution and lilith.pk3 aside, this year's been easy-going and full of amazing new maps, packs, mods, and TCs. I encourage everyone to read the Cacowards, but also delve through the Doomworld forums and this year's /newstuff Chonricles entries for more neat stuff.

Some drama about TNT: Revilution and lilith.pk3 aside, this year's been easy-going and full of amazing new maps, packs, mods, and TCs. I encourage everyone to read the Cacowards, but also delve through the Doomworld forums and this year's /newstuff Chonricles entries for more neat stuff.
To be fair, the only ''drama'' about Lilith comes from Graf Zahl who obviously can't understand that glitch art is well, an artform. Lilith is also not unintentionally glitchy in the sense that it crash unexpectingly, everything is ''thought out''.

Its also quite shameful how one of the main stables in Doom with his GZdoom port is churning out such shitty responses however. Anyone else would have gotten flagged for it, but Zahl does not. He has already stopped developing GZdoom when he got criticized, so it tells me that he is a guy of ''dishing out'' but unable to recieve anything back. Its a damn shame though, because Zahl deserves a ton of credit even solely for his source port and the fact he has kept maintaining it in all these years. It sucks that his personality will make other users be less than respectful of him, even though his work demands that respect.

I went reading back on the whole release ever since it was announced. It's kinda funny to see people like Rachel (of QZdoom) go through heaps and bounds to explain how making that mapset be bound to a specific Zdoom revision is ''not cool'', and how she thinks that eventually GZdoom and all its ports would have to be compatible with these kinds of ''hacks''. Which i strongly disagree with. There is a reason why it only works on one specific Zdoom version, and Zdoom LE.

Either way, I love Doom, played a lot of it and i hope to design my own level one day, heres to contributing to them!