• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
previous threads

www.resetera.com

Gamer apparently serving in Royal Tank Regiment of UK army posted classified tank documents on War Thunder forums to help make game "more accurate". News

Someone somewhere is going to get a major repetition course of operation security, and probably legal consequences. https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/classified-challenger-tank-specs-leaked-online-for-videogame/

www.resetera.com

Classified tank specs gets leaked on War Thunder forums (again) News

https://www.pcgamer.com/war-thunder-fan-leaks-classified-military-documents-to-win-an-argument-about-tanksagain/ Man, War Thunder fans really get into it huh.

this time:

my favorite Wikipedia quote:

In October 2021, another user leaked classified documents of the Leclerc to win an argument.

that's some forum-ass forum shit right there

a lot of the classified info is on twitter now, translated

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If I remember right wasn't the issue common enough on the forum that they set up a specific DMCA process for governments to take down this stuff?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Commit Treason for Internet points

hell it the game and board might be somekind of intel community backchannel

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Commit Treason for Internet points

hell it the game and board might be somekind of intel community backchannel
just a bunch of bored military workers sitting around talking about the dimensions of shells

trading documents like you'd trade recipes with a friend

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Man the amount of shit I had to go through working in a SCIF made sure that I'd never ever do this. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Risking treason to win some forum argument lmao
I been there, i once made a run to the comicbook store to win an argument
just a bunch of bored military workers sitting around talking about the dimensions of shells

trading documents like you'd trade recipes with a friend
I been around those types, when i use to do Historic Tabletop Gaming. They can get into that shit like it is a legit job

Oct 27, 2017
It gets better, the game recently closed a publicly accessable development server that previewed the upcoming content drop. The thing about these dev servers is that the values for things such as armor, penetration, or flight models are usually placeholders subject to change on final release.

So what happens was the developer added this shell to the server, but copy/pasted the values of the previous version as a placeholder. This poster saw this, flipped out, and went ahead and posted treason to correct what are publicly communicated as placeholder values.

Though my personal favorite is the initial leak of the Challenger 2 where the poster actively lied about the dimensions of the armor in the classified document in an attempt to get the tank buffed in game.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It gets better, the game recently closed a publicly accessable development server that previewed the upcoming content drop. The thing about these dev servers is that the values for things such as armor, penetration, or flight models are usually placeholders subject to change on final release.

So what happens was the developer added this shell to the server, but copy/pasted the values of the previous version as a placeholder. This poster saw this, flipped out, and went ahead and posted treason to correct what are publicly communicated as placeholder values.

Though my personal favorite is the initial leak of the Challenger 2 where the poster actively lied about the dimensions of the armor in the classified document in an attempt to get the tank buffed in game.
Please be joking, dear god i don't want to live in a world where this is possible

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Please be joking, dear god i don't want to live in a world where this is possible
the very first leak was someone trying to get a tank more accurate

it was just a matter of time before folks would post fake details to try and buff/nerf tanks

AND YOU GOTTA CHECK THEM FACTS, here look at this blueprint

oh whoops treason

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
If Era had a like button, maybe we'd get more people posting classified info. Not just treason, but stuff under NDA and the like.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I know a guy who works as a technician officer in the navy, I kinda could see him doing this to win a geekout about ships.

Oct 27, 2017
the very first leak was someone trying to get a tank more accurate
I was in the thread when that happened lol. The leak did show that the developer had modeled the portion of armor incorrectly in-game. But what the poster did was try to add dimensional measurements, except he misrepresented the length of the machine gun by implying it was ~42% longer than it was in actuality. Scaling off this would have created a massive buff to the armor, and the whole thread called him out on it before the mods just went and nuked the thread from orbit. Should be noted that this guy had been posting sped up videos of the turret rotating (fishing for another buff) and lying about other aspects of the tank's armor - so despite being an active crewman he was pretty well discredited before this whole thing happened.

Fun times.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I was in the thread when that happened lol. The leak did show that the developer had modeled the portion of armor incorrectly in-game. But what the poster did was try to add dimensional measurements, except he misrepresented the length of the machine gun by implying it was ~42% longer than it was in actuality. Scaling off this would have created a massive buff to the armor, and the whole thread called him out on it before the mods just went and nuked the thread from orbit. Should be noted that this guy had been posting sped up videos of the turret rotating (fishing for another buff) and lying about other aspects of the tank's armor - so despite being an active crewman he was pretty well discredited before this whole thing happened.

Fun times.
this is amazing

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
the day we get a like or upvoting, day I hand in my resignation to B-Dub
-1 Like

Fun times.
Stuff like this reminds me of the World of Warships forum people arguing about Armor Values for the ships & posting literal images from inside the ship

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Intelligence agencies around the world bout to start having people intentionally stir up arguments on this forum to bait out idiots.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
A Chinese dude revealing classified Chinese info?

...he might want to get the hell out of the country if he hasn't already.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
You don't mess with military tech nerds in an online argument. They will not back down

It's so goddamn funny that this is like the 5th time this has happened on the forum for this particular game. Intelligence agents must be watching

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yo this is incredible. At this point, it feels like we could just be trolls and bait out a bunch of sensitive info just by being abject belligerent dumbasses.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
You don't mess with military tech nerds in an online argument. They will not back down

It's so goddamn funny that this is like the 5th time this has happened on the forum for this particular game. Intelligence agents must be watching

man if they don't have keyword bots set up (dunno if you could set one up that was good enough to filter the game jargon out) imagine if that was just your job