• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of the story being "this game looks neat" it became "this is the game with the 'woke bro' trying to push his hackey politics on us with gender neutral bathrooms." Instead of "these characters seem fun" it was "this is the studio with the CEO who refuses to make his female characters sexier." Instead of "who am I going to choose" it became "white dude shoehorns diversity in his game and then smells his own smug farts in interviews" instead of just letting the product ... speak for itself.

cliff, you absolute fucking idiot. not only you miss the point of why your game failed. if this game really was "too woke", idiots would have been shouting about it from the rooftops. which, coincidentally, would have been more coverage the game gotten, barring the press about declining numbers

www.vg247.com

LawBreakers failed because it was too "woke", says Cliff Bleszinski - VG247

Be honest with yourself – when you think of LawBreakers, the debut game from Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski’s now defunct studio, what do you remember about it? For me, I remember a very generic-looking shooter that had a man in it who could shoot backwards. I also remember the reason it...

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cliff, it's not that people didn't like it or that it was too woke.

No one ever cared, it was indifference.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's nuts how certain people fume at the mouth over atrocities such as washrooms that anyone can use

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I didn't even know that those elements were part of the game, assuming they actually were.

the game just looked generic and uninteresting and the reviews weren't great. Simple as that.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
The fact his is still clueless as to why this game failed shows why this game failed. He has no idea what makes games popular these days. Being too woke wasn't it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
game came out too late. hero shooters were a year before thing and when this dropped, PUBG and Fortnite were becoming a phenomenon.

also lulz at this game becoming too woke. sit down cliffy

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it seems not as though his politics have changed, just that he's using them as an unreasonable scapegoat for his game failing to get off the ground

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think if it was F2P & had a smoother launch, plus more importantly, Overwatch didn't steal it's thunder, it could have done way better, but it was hard to throw down money for it when Overwatch was the biggest shit ever at the time & many people already owned it.
I got no idea why hes blaming the cast, trying to earn cred with the right? that's um interesting.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Reveals? He's BEEN an asshole.

Like most white men who encounter failure, they want to pass the buck on something completely unrelated and skirt any amount of personal accountability.

Though it is rather delicious to see him burn himself to the ground, and hopefully he continues to do so in a magnificent manner. What a dead beat.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
You would have to be incredibly dumb to think that the reason Lawbreakers failed was that the game was too woke. Like nothing about it was woke. It was boring. The characters were boring in a hero shooter. Nothing about the game was exciting.

I was sold in Overwatch before any gameplay came out. That's part of what killed Lawbreakers.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
when people suspect you are something it's better keep shut and not give them the certainty, Cliffy.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The way the OP is written is far more embarrassing then what Cliff said.

People on this forum just can't act more mature.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Even if we pretend for a moment that Lawbreakers did in fact flop because it was too woke and not because it was an insipid and badly-timed Overwatch clone with not much going for it, how does he explain the success of, er, Overwatch? Or more recently, Apex Legends?

I even played the free beta weekends of Lawbreakers, and it didn't strike me as particularly "woke" either. Robot characters are not diversity.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Sure Cliff, that's a commercially valid reason for your game failing. Imagine how that would play out in a meeting:

"So it's time to discuss what happened with Lawbreakers, why didn't it sell? Cliff, since you're the director what do you think?"
"Bathrooms."
"That's it? Not the fact it didn't stand out from Overwatch?"
"Nah, it's defintely the bathrooms."
"Who cared about the bathrooms?"
"GAMERS."

That might cut it as internet bait but as a reason for your product not selling it doesn't work.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
When being the first mainstream videogame in years with something to say goes wrong

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I bet if you asked him why Overwatch and Apex are still around even though they are more woke than Lawbreakers, he would just block you.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God this was said or I'd never have known what an arsehole he is.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the phrase I'd use to describe Lawbreakers. Too woke.

Like this trailer, too woke, what with it's remix of Norman Greenbaum's 1969 WOKE classic Spirit in the Sky, and a dude using the F-U-C-K word while killing people and eating apples. I really wanted to play this game but I'm just not into WOKE culture, y'know, so I skipped it.

Last edited:

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I'll maintain that Lawbreakers was actually a solid game. It failed because no one wanted an arena shooter when battle royale games and Overwatch were blowing up. It's not like Quake Champions fared much better than Lawbreakers.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean, I didn't even know that those elements were part of the game, assuming they actually were.

the game just looked generic and uninteresting and the reviews weren't great. Simple as that.

Exactly why would somebody play Lawbreakers over Overwatch?

Chasing trends is sometimes not the best business policy. Being "woke" had nothing to do with it