• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care much about Cliffy B or his games. I think the last game of his I played and truly cared about was Unreal but I don't blame him for a second for distancing himself from the industry.

Just as the ability to tolerate abuse in any form is not something that should be commended, the right to step away from a toxic environment is not something we should mock someone for.

The "he's/she's popular in social media so he/she needs to be able to take verbal abuse" line of thinking is something that, frankly, I find disturbing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many people in this thread justifying their toxicity by saying he "brought it on himself." How embarrassing. That's some borderline victim blaming. There's a serious lack of self awareness here. Cliff is not wrong about gamer toxicity and I wish him the best in the theater world. That should be a nice change of scenery!
Well as I brought up earlier in this thread, it was one of the mods jobs at the old place who is a poster here to basically shit on Lawbreakers every chance he could get. A mod at a prominent gaming forum shitting on a dev because said dev something bad about shitty GAF. Doesn't get more toxic then that if you ask me. I wish Cliff the best in his new adventure. Haters gonna hate
The mods at the old place definitely promoted a toxic environment. The best part of ERA is that none of them are mods any more and the new/current mods are really, really good at their job. Gaming communities all over are more toxic than ever and unfortunately ERA is no exception, but I think this place has a bright future and can overcome the toxicity issue because the mods here don't stoop to that level.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally 6 pages of posters claiming him to be toxic and not one post of evidence showing how.
I don't really remember anything he said that is toxic outside of the poaching incident which I can understand. His 'toxic' image probably stems from the combination of being outspoken + boastful, being douche looking (unfortunate), and most of his games are on shooterbro genre.

His poor image comes from how he often goes well out of his way to be a shithead without owning up to it later. If it were almost anyone else in the industry calling out gamers I would have no problem with it, but Cliffy is the definition of a guy who can dish it out but not take it.

His response to Roger Ebert's death (when all Ebert did was say that games aren't art):
wWD6kc0.jpg

His response to Kotaku's article about Riot Games' sexist culture (the non-apology that followed didn't help):
f65afab7fe92290038d4bd1e7ad14f9f461b9319.png

And that's excluding things like his ridiculous vendetta against Olivia Munn for doing to gamers what he did to frat boys. His image as one of gaming's biggest douchebros is well-earned, even if there are worse people in the industry.

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
The dude contributed to the toxicity of the gaming community himself but like, shouldn't we all be trying to do better instead of just saying "yeah that's just how it is."? ERA is one of the less toxic gaming-focused communities online but this thread alone shows that we still have plenty of room to improve here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His poor image comes from how he often goes well out of his way to be a shithead without owning up to it later. If it were almost anyone else in the industry calling out gamers I would have no problem with it, but Cliffy is the definition of a guy who can dish it out but not take it.

His response to Roger Ebert's death (when all Ebert did was say that games aren't art):
wWD6kc0.jpg

His response to Kotaku's article about Riot Games' sexist culture (the non-apology that followed didn't help):
f65afab7fe92290038d4bd1e7ad14f9f461b9319.png

And that's excluding things like his ridiculous vendetta against Olivia Munn for doing to gamers what he did to frat boys. His image as one of gaming's biggest douchebros is well-earned, even if there are worse people in the industry.
Ooofff, I missed those tweets but again I never put much focus on the guy since his game aren't my cup of tea. He is toxic

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
today i learned that if you call something toxic first then you are absolved and immune to all criticism.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry for the bump, but the musical that Cliff ended up co-producing (Hadestown) went on to win 8 Tonys, including Best Musical.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This guy brought a lot of the shit down on himself with his arrogant grandstanding and self serving hyperbole.

As much as gamer entitlement is a gross thing often, this guy was in the thick of that shit and flinging.

Edit holy shit, necromancy!

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but the musical that Cliff ended up co-producing (Hadestown) went on to win 8 Tonys, including Best Musical.

Awesome! Congrats to him and the people involved! Cliff gets more flak than he deserves.

Edit: does that mean Cliff has a Tony since he was a producer?

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After reading toxic people throws shit at him in threads like this one I understand why some very talented devs quit gaming. In any case, nice to see he's also successful in his new adventure outside gaming.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont blame anyone for wanting out the industry eventually. It is toxic as fuck.

But this is the equivalent of Kanye leaving America cause its racist. Surely you must have some level of self awareness to acknowledge your part in all of this.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I dont blame anyone for wanting out the industry eventually. It is toxic as fuck.

But this is the equivalent of Kanye leaving America cause its racist. Surely you must have some level of self awareness to acknowledge your part in all of this.

Surely there was a better analogy than Kanye... Surely.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX

We're talking about the same Kanye that was running around with a Maga hat and telling everybody how much a genius Trump is, right?

Edit: My bad. I didn't read it properly. I understand what Olag was trying to say

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Victim blaming? Ahahahah, what is he a victim of?

I still struggle with this. I do think that people treated him poorly, but I also think that people like him are why gamer culture is as bad as it is. He was always a volatile personality himself. I don't think he "deserved" poor treatment, but I really struggle to find sympathy for him either.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I still struggle with this. I do think that people treated him poorly, but I also think that people like him are why gamer culture is as bad as it is. He was always a volatile personality himself. I don't think he "deserved" poor treatment, but I really struggle to find sympathy for him either.
Didn't even realize this was a bump. I mean, yeah, contributing to a toxic culture and then calling it out for being toxic is... well, it's not like he's wrong, but it's hypocritical and lacks self awareness. Considering calling this out as victim blaming seems absurd to me.

Anyway, good for him about the Tonys, a radical career and life change is really hard, so kudos.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't producer in Broadway terms mean you put up money for it? I'm doubtful he had anything to do creatively with it but i could be wrong.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a party just before Christmas with a load of light entertainment types who were utterly raving about Hadestown. Never knew Cliffy had a link to it.

Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't producer in Broadway terms mean you put up money for it? I'm doubtful he had anything to do creatively with it but i could be wrong.

Not an expert but I think it's the same as with movies. You believe in the project/director vision and secure funding for them to complete it in the hopes of at least getting the money back and then some.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
lol good for him, it doesn't really sound he was very hands on (the musical has been on stage since 2014 in other countries, came to broadway in March 2019 and he only got involved since Nov 2018) but probably more the guy who helped secure the funding to give it broadway doors but thats still fun and cool. Having the first musical you invest in be a runaway success is pretty awesome and I imagine pretty rare, I know guys (lawyers, doctors) who invest in movies and like they lose money on every single one but they love schmoozing with Hollywood.

I tried to see if he was there when they won the main "best musical" Tony award but jesus christ theres like 100 people that come up on stage and I can't tell lol

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Tweets are unavailable, obviously.

Did he announce he's leaving the gaming industry? If so, good for him. Industry sucks, low pay, brutal schedule, stupid hours, no appreciation, constant love/hate relationship with your customers, life is under a microscope for no reason. It's good to get out.

Glad he found something he's actually good at

also takes like this

Nov 1, 2017
Tweets are unavailable, obviously.

Did he announce he's leaving the gaming industry? If so, good for him. Industry sucks, low pay, brutal schedule, stupid hours, no appreciation, constant love/hate relationship with your customers, life is under a microscope for no reason. It's good to get out.

also takes like this

He did after his studio went under. He seemed to have deleted like all his past tweets or something?