• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
the guy had so many good ideas, why stick to the generic fps looking and the battleroyale that looks like a crapy version of fornite?

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Are publishers that fearful of investing big in unique ideas? I understand that game budgets have gotten bigger over time, but sometimes taking risks can pay off.

Project pitches dont exist on a vacuum, there are others things they can invest and investors are not in "fear", they are just looking for a good ROI. Its easy to say "oh why dont they just throw money on this really cool idea i like!" when its not your money on the line.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
the guy had so many good ideas, why stick to the generic fps looking and the battleroyale that looks like a crapy version of fornite?
The idea probably was "Make a game that makes $5 Million a month, maybe acquire that in one year, use that money to make more games".

Seeing Fortnite making $50 Million a month, I don't blame his temptation to save the studio.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Mate...atleast fact check first or read the thread (which was barely 2 pages long) before making knee jerk posts like this just because you don't like the guy. You aren't even the first guy to do this. This sort of stuff is embarrassing really.

Totally my bad, I read only through the original Twitter threads and didn't see that. And it was crappy of me to only have said something negative. The art is honestly great. Love the dragon concepts and "Donuts" art.

Last edited:

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
The idea probably was "Make a game that makes $5 Million a month, maybe acquire that in one year, use that money to make more games".

Seeing Fortnite making $50 Million a month, I don't blame his temptation to save the studio.

Sure the idea of making money is fine, but with so bland and uncharismatic games on a overcrowded and already dominated genres is quite complicated

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
DogWalkers is my aesthetic.

I'd love a big mech game in VR. Shame we probably won't get anything besides RIGS for a long time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is he like, done done? You'd think he'd still want to hold on to udeas/concepts despite the studio going down.

These ideas are just that. And they were already passed on. You can come up with new ideas (even ones that riff on these or expand on them) fairly easily. Coming up with elevator pitches is probably the easiest part of the job, and id imagine publishers are inundated with them. It's a little different than just seeing them in a vacuum, out of that context, like we are now.

Jtendo '82

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
What a shame. I think Cliffy B has a lot more to give gamers and I really hope he finds the right situation for that to happen.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
Here's codename "DogWalkers". Basically, "World of Tanks/Tokyo Wars. Some players are piloting, some are gunners, some are repairing, etc..."
"The air in the world's fiction was toxic so any leaks on your walker you'd have to repair quick or get gas masks on etc. Rappel outside to weld legs too, toss wrenches to each other etc.."

I didn't know I wanted something so badly...

Make this non-VR so more easily accessible and I would be all in, even forcing friends into it. Guns of Icarus but giant mechs? Fuckin' hell...

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Both of those look cool as hell, especially the dragon game. Goddamn. Why did we get law breakers when that was just a overwatch derivative.

I bet this is the game he pitched to MS and they responded with "looks cool, but we already have Scalebound."
Dragons are cursed, Sony and lair and Microsoft with scalebound I guess.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm really hoping Cliffy went into these pitch meetings with a hell of a lot more than what he's showing in those tweets. Why would a publisher back any of this stuff? This reads like Molydeux's tweets with some nice concepts on top. Did he have a playable prototype or a business plan for any of these concepts? Cause it's kinda silly to get frustrated by publishers not backing your 'game ideas' when you really don't give them much confidence that you're really onto something. 'Imagine this' is the worst way you can start a pitch. Don't make me imagine something, show me what you can actually deliver - Don't show me 10 different things all at once, show me one project that you're so in love with that you've already started dabbling with a prototype that shows amazing potential and makes me confident that you can actually deliver on what you're saying you wanna do. Boss Key's hasn't existed for all that long - Why even focus on more than one or two things at once? Just stick to the best idea you have and start working that out and pitch that. A good pitch meeting should make the publisher feel like they'd be missing out big time if they're not gonna try to make a deal here. If I'd sit in a pitch meeting where the only thing I get out of it is CliffyB rambling in a 'Imagine this' style with some concept art on top, I'd send him an invoice for wasting my time. As tough as that sounds, none of you would bet your life savings on this stuff, so why would a publisher?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm really hoping Cliffy went into these pitch meetings with a hell of a lot more than what he's showing in those tweets. Why would a publisher back any of this stuff? This reads like Molydeux's tweets with some nice concepts on top. Did he have a playable prototype or a business plan for any of these concepts? Cause it's kinda silly to get frustrated by publishers not backing your 'game ideas' when you really don't give them much confidence that you're really onto something. 'Imagine this' is the worst way you can start a pitch. Don't make me imagine something, show me what you can actually deliver - Don't show me 10 different things all at once, show me one project that you're so in love with that you've already started dabbling with a prototype that shows amazing potential and makes me confident that you can actually deliver on what you're saying you wanna do. Boss Key's hasn't existed for all that long - Why even focus on more than one or two things at once? Just stick to the best idea you have and start working that out and pitch that. A good pitch meeting should make the publisher feel like they'd be missing out big time if they're not gonna try to make a deal here. If I'd sit in a pitch meeting where the only thing I get out of it is CliffyB rambling in a 'Imagine this' style with some concept art on top, I'd send him an invoice for wasting my time. As tough as that sounds, none of you would bet your life savings on this stuff, so why would a publisher?
First off, lol at the invoice part.

Second, I don't think he's gonna give us the whole pitch of what would have been a 40 million dollar game over a couple of tweets.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remind me ;_;

giphy.gif

This news bums me out. Yet Lawbreakers and radical heights made it out first.

I like the dragon game concept art except.....the game sounds like a Multiplayer only PVE game ( Evolve anyone?) that might have scared away publishers

Evolve was still PVP. Both the hunters and the creature were player controlled.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Here's codename "DogWalkers". Basically, "World of Tanks/Tokyo Wars. Some players are piloting, some are gunners, some are repairing, etc..."
"The air in the world's fiction was toxic so any leaks on your walker you'd have to repair quick or get gas masks on etc. Rappel outside to weld legs too, toss wrenches to each other etc.."

More games (some VR titles) in his profile. I'll organize the thread as he posts, sadly I can only embed two tweets.

This sounds a lot like a modern Chromehounds :(

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure what you want me to do lol. Like yeah, I was wrong. That's my point. I said "look at this fucker" because I was led to believe that he didn't tell his employees that they were all losing their jobs, and I hadn't seen him crediting Shawn Lin. I was mistaken about the situation and that's a good thing here because it means that there wasn't even a problem to begin with.

What are you even trying to achieve here?

Your behavior was shitty, he pointed it out. Then you tried to play it off like it was "all good" even though you were wrong from jump and would've known if you'd done a little research.

This isn't great either. Why would he pitch these to laymen the way he pitched to a business?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like dragons just don't take off for some reason in gaming.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are publishers that fearful of investing big in unique ideas? I understand that game budgets have gotten bigger over time, but sometimes taking risks can pay off.
Yes. *See Kojima and MGS5 or Stig Asmussen/ Sony Santa Monica and his canned project that cost them millions.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Well color me intrigued about the dragon concept. Would have been nice to see that one developed.

And instead they made the generic looking Lawbreakers? Why?

Probably the same reason why companies are trying to make PUBG/Battle Royale games right now. Considering the big and fancy "In-Game" back when was OverWatch, we had lots of companies trying to make their own hero shooter. Something to which that outside of Paladins (and in some degree: Rainbow Six: Siege), I don't think many of them still have much support now.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These concepts look cool. But why is cliffy sharing these now? Is he in dire straights? Can't get funding for anything and looking to drum up interest?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And instead they made the generic looking Lawbreakers? Why?

Seems like it was a more realistic scope, and not being designed with VR in mind meant it had more chances at finding an audience.

These concepts look cool. But why is cliffy sharing these now? Is he in dire straights? Can't get funding for anything and looking to drum up interest?

He is leaving the industry for the time being.

Pity instead you pushed out that Battle Royale trash instead.

Yeah, they should have just started to make the 40 million dollar dragon game after Lawbreakers ran its course, and their finances were running low.

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of cool ideas that could possibly be implemented into other works but why is lately everything Cliff is mentioned in it's always sad? A real shame considering how well Gears was going.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is really a lack of samurai games, could always use more, a shame that it didn't work out for them.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
Seriously, this is SO COOL!

His reasoning why this got rejected is A). $40 Million budget. And B). You pitch something and the response is often "too similar to something we have or out there so no" or "this is too unique so we can't do a proper financial model for it."

This is saddening that something as unique and awesome as this idea was shot down. but the same industry will just keep pumping out the same franchises over and over.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
If Boss Key had done that Dragon idea instead of Lawbreakers, they wouldn't have closed down.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

What the fuck kind of comment is this? Of course he didn't pitch it the same way as a 280 letter tweet. What are you on about?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These are all very cool ideas and art, but we've seen time and time again games drastically change from their concept art to the reality of how the game ships (remember the Destiny concept art?)

That first pitch with the dragons and samurai sounds really damn cool, but I just cannot see how a game like that can be pulled off unless it gets a fat budget and hefty development time.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Its always cool to see the things creative people come up with. All are mediocre pitches/concepts and its easy to see why they were rejected.

Although MS probably should have probably funded project Donut and used some old rare IP (is there any man more perfect for a modern Conker game then Cliffy B?) and given it the chance to be their very own Mario Kart/Crash Team Racing.

The best concept in terms of ART was Rover. However it should have been a futuristic MGS/Monster Hunter hybrid or something like a Darker Co Op Horizon Zero Dawn x Gears of War.

The Dragon one sounded like Reign of Fire the game. Thats a hard pass. Ps why not pitch Dreamworls on that as a How to train your dragon game. Sure its Vikings instead of Ninjas but the gameplay would be the same and it would have a much larger potential audience as a Destiny like loot game x a pokemon style collectathon already using an established IP to help mitigate the risk of something budgeted that highly. Thats an easy sell.