• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48377930

The last ship known to have smuggled slaves from Africa to the US is said to have been discovered after a year-long investigation.

"The discovery of the Clotilda is an extraordinary archaeological find," Lisa Demetropoulos Jones, executive director of the Alabama Historical Commission (AHC), told the Associated Press (AP) news agency.

The ship's journey "represented one of the darkest eras of modern history" and the wreck provides "tangible evidence of slavery", she said.

The Clotilda was discovered by archaeology firm company Search Inc, which was called in to help by the Alabama Historical Commission to investigate the hulk, says the National Geographic Society, which reported the find.

Researchers discovered a ship with its identifying features under water in a section of the Mobile river, says National Geographic.

The dimensions and construction of the wreck matched those of the Clotilda, as did building materials, the commission said.

Given that interview from a survivor which surfaced last year, I thought some here would be interested. Also something else sordid out of Alabama to talk about.

Pictures
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any pictures of what they found?
190522-clotilda-africatown-last-slave-ship-ac-2018-801p_231d99b106c9450ffef4d85b8bf3d264.nbcnews-fp-1024-512.jpg

EAUY6BPOFAY5LD27NZVCZOU3W4.jpg

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talked about this with one of my cousins last year, when they'd started looking.

This is like, a mile away from where my grandmother lives.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
There's a classic thread on GAF involving just this actually

Off topic:

Fuck...everytime I somehow, be it by accident or morbid curiosity, I end up on that site I have a quick glance at things...I don't understand how it has been cultivated into the absolute cesspool that it is now. Like where the hell did everyone come from? Anyways, fuck it.

OP
OP
JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Is this sketchy because is uses the term "workers" rather than saying something like "colonists forced millions of innocent Africans to work on their plantations"?

Yeah, it was accused of downplaying the whole 'forced labour' aspect of things by making it seems like people had come along willingly.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
That shitty Texas (?) textbook is even wrong about the numbers. The slave trade brought under half a million slaves to the American South. Most slaves were sent to far more lucrative and more lethal work in the sugar colonies of the Caribbean and Brazil.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-am...oss/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/

There did come to be millions of slaves in the US, but it wasn't because they were brought over; it was because cotton and tobacco plantations were relatively less lethal than sugar plantations.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
....if this is an actual thing, that people don't think slavery actually happened, I'll.... I... I don't even know, man.
I have not encountered people arguing slavery didn't happen, but there have been variations of the argument that slavery was a good deal for the slaves continuously for the past 400 years, from Virginia planters of the 1600s to the alt-right and "race realists" of today. I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Rogan's already had a podcast with them.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That shitty Texas (?) textbook is even wrong about the numbers. The slave trade brought under half a million slaves to the American South. Most slaves were sent to far more lucrative and more lethal work in the sugar colonies of the Caribbean and Brazil.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-am...oss/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/

There did come to be millions of slaves in the US, but it wasn't because they were brought over; it was because cotton and tobacco plantations were relatively less lethal than sugar plantations.
This is misleading. It's saying that's how many slaves were brought directly to the US but the vast majority of US slaves were taken to Jamaica first and then brought to the US in the Triangle Trade. Slaves were smuggled here directly after Britain banned slavery in it's colonies which ended the Triangle Trade.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
This is misleading. It's saying that's how many slaves were brought directly to the US but the vast majority of US slaves were taken to Jamaica first and then brought to the US in the Triangle Trade. Slaves were smuggled here directly after Britain banned slavery in it's colonies which ended the Triangle Trade.
I don't think it is misleading. If you have better figures on slave importation to the American South, please do share them.

I am no expert, and it has been a while, but in my college history class on slavery in the new world, I distinctly remember the professor saying the American South received under half a million slaves total — in part due to slavery being more sustainable (I know) in tobacco/cotton plantations, which reduced demand; and partly because those plantation owners had less money to spend compared to the sugar plantations.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does that suggest anyone was doubting the existence of the practice before?

I mean there are reams of court and financial documents listing who owned who and what kind of tortures were used. I don't think a single Alabama politician would try to go full flat earth on it but no doubt a few citizens are into total denial.

Actually I realize I am giving them too much credit but I'm scared to google it.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are reams of court and financial documents listing who owned who and what kind of tortures were used. I don't think a single Alabama politician would try to go full flat earth on it but no doubt a few citizens are into total denial.

Actually I realize I am giving them too much credit but I'm scared to google it.
I think the "we were good to our slaves/treated our slaves like family" is the most common form that Southern denialism takes.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Something important to take away from this find...

Many of the ship's slaves, freed five years later at the end of the Civil War, settled a community north of downtown Mobile that became known as Africatown. Some descendants of the original slaves still live in the area. Now that the ship has been found, the descendants will be consulted on decisions about its future.

"This would have obvious impacts on them, and we would work with them to get a sense of their feelings, what they would like to see occur with the site, and have them involved in the research as much as they would like to be,"
Gregory D. Cook, an assistant professor of maritime archaeology at the University of West Florida, told CNN last year.

The researchers are making sure that known descendants are aware of this find, and at the very least talking to them.