• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this is still talked about even if i think Sony will make so that consoles won't need an internet connection to make games work with an EOL firmware on Ps4 and Ps5.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
And if you're somewhere without internet? Or the certificate on your console is no longer valid so won't connect to the server? Or the server doesn't exist any more?
The person I quoted didn't include a bunch of what if scenarios, they made it sound like if you change the battery you can't play any games.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
The person I quoted didn't include a bunch of what if scenarios, they made it sound like if you change the battery you can't play any games.
This entire discussion is about what happens when that server is unavailable and the CMOS battery is dead/replaced. If you weren't aware of context of this discussion then the "Does it Play" Twitter account (included in the OP) has a lot more details on the issue šŸ‘šŸ»

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where does the Vita fall within all of this? Is there similar risk based on what Sony does with its authentication servers?
From what I gathered looking around Vita hacking communities, you'd lose the ability to earn trophies and play PSM games once that happens. Normal Vita games (both physical and digital) continue working, except for PS+ rentals.
The Xbox One and Series family of consoles do not have a CMOS battery and therefore do not have this issue
They have a capacitor which could theoretically run out and the time would be lost. Someone would have to try draining it or removing it for a moment in order to be sure how it is on Xbox. That being said, I doibt it will act like PS consoles, since that isn't the usual behavior for such things.

Oct 27, 2017
This entire discussion is about what happens when that server is unavailable and the CMOS battery is dead/replaced. If you weren't aware of context of this discussion then the "Does it Play" Twitter account (included in the OP) has a lot more details on the issue šŸ‘šŸ»

Shouldn't it work as usual when the old CMOS battery is dead and you put in a new one?

On Ps2 a dead CMOS battery means the clock always resets after you turn off the console and the main menu lights
maxresdefault.jpg

stop working since they are based on the clock, but if you replace it with a new one it works as usual.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's just as bad if not worse on Xbox One and Series S|X considering that those systems require online accounts to do anything on them and require online for pretty much everything
This is not true. For example, you only need a internet connection to setup the console as a new user. If you already have a account, ..., then you can save the profile on external drives and copy it over without a internet connection. It's still awful, but you don't need to be online to setup the console.
And they've said before that their games from PS4 onwards will be playable on newer hardware in the future so I can certainly imagine that it'll be even longer before they change things with the PS4 to make it unplayable. So unless something happens to Sony practically overnight to where they can't change this, I'm pretty sure the systems will hop
I don't think Sony ever said BC is now a standard feature for generations to come. But I do agree that PS4 and Xbox are save for a long, long time.

Last edited:

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
People really assume that the PSN is gonna close down? Anything is possible, sure, but do y'all really think PSN is going to stop at any point soon??? Later??? Ever?

With the PS3/PSP/Vita stores leaving, did that also mean there won't be a way to sign into your account to play your games??? Because obviously you have to be signed in so the system can check and verify that it's fine for you to play the license..............................

So again, besides the fact the battery is replaceable, do people really get the impression that PSN is going away?

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the need for online DRM on physical games. Yes, people have been able to circumvent on-disc copy protection, but that usually comes after arbitrary root code execution. If someone can patch out the disc check, they can patch out the online check also. This just hurts preservation and legitimate consumers.

People really assume that the PSN is gonna close down? Anything is possible, sure, but do y'all really think PSN is going to stop at any point soon??? Later??? Ever?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that PSN, let alone just these specific services, will not be up forever. Heck, I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on PlayStation being in business for as long as I have left to live.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
For a second I wondered why CMOS sensors would have anything to do with PS5. This reminded me that Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductors do not only apply to detection systems.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

With the PS3/PSP/Vita stores leaving, did that also mean there won't be a way to sign into your account to play your games??? Because obviously you have to be signed in so the system can check and verify that it's fine for you to play the license..............................

So again, besides the fact the battery is replaceable, do people really get the impression that PSN is going away?
Ever? Yeah, very likely. Any time soon? Definitely not. I don't think they will go down in the next decade or two, or maybe three, but eventually, there won't be a way for PS4/5 to connect to the server it needs after replacing CMOS. I would like to see this resolved, but In the current age of backwards compatibility, wouldn't be so upset if they never do.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These servers wil a 100% go down at one point or another in our lifetime, that's just a very simple fact. If it's going to be a week, a year or a decade is up to Sony. But I think many people are forgetting that we do have a precedent for what happens in a worst case scenario with the PSN hack a decade ago during which certain games could not boot because they could not connect to a server. The PS4 is nearing the nine years, so some of these batteries will be dying any day now or are already dead. What happens if another freak outage happens?

I know this is an absolute worst case scenario, but considering we have witnessed this situation once before (and that's ignoring the many server outages of Ubisoft, Activision and others). At this point, you're guaranteed nothing.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Not quite, if you only have a PS4 then you lose access to both physical and digital games.
If you have a PS5 you can bizarrely still play the physical PS4 games.

It depends. Dont know about the PS3 but for your PS4, physical games wont work either from what I read. On PS5, some games works, others wont. PS4 physical games on PS5 will work thougj.

Yeah that was my point PS3 = can play physical PS3 games, PS5 = I can play physical PS4 games lol

You could just connect to the servers after putting the new battery in...

For as long as the legacy consoles can connect to said server, which who knows what'll happen with that.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021

i mean....ps3/vita psn IS going away

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

(this is the same account that released the findings about the PS4 CMOS issue)

Basically:
  • Physical PS4 games apparently work without the battery and an internet connection, ironically considering the same is not true for actual PS4s.
  • Physical PS5 games are a mixed bag. Some work and are playable, others won't even install, more testing will be done there
  • Digital PS5 games will straight up not work (particularly bad for the PS5 digital edition)
  • All issues were fixed as soon as they reinstalled the battery and connected to the servers again, so it wasn't a botched removal that caused these issues
I tried searching for a thread and couldn't find it, so please lock it if old.

So PS4 is designed to be obsolete by literally bricking itself.

Wasn't Apple slapped with a class action for pumping your older iPhones with updates that worsened your experience to push you to the new phone?

So we sue?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get this recent fascination the internet has with the CMOS battery. Electronics - especially high tech luxury ones - aren't meant to last indefinitely. Better check your PC motherboards, smartphones and old gameboy cartridges. The batteries on those will run out too *cue scary noises*
Yes and they can be easily replaced in many of those cases.

You know what can't be easily replaced? The servers Sony run that is integral to the process.
You've really not been paying attention if you think the issue is about the bloody battery

Adum

May 30, 2019
Yes and they can be easily replaced in many of those cases.

You know what can't be easily replaced? The servers Sony run that is integral to the process.
You've really not been paying attention if you think the issue is about the bloody battery
The PS4 servers aren't going anywhere anytime soon. With native PS4 BC on the PS5, the PS4 side of PSN is safe for a good long time.

Look, I'm not trying to defend Sony here. I wish they were paying me to shill for them, but no such luck. I hate Jim Ryan's stance on backwards compatibility. I was one of those holding out hope that the PS5 would come out with BC for all past PlayStation systems. That said, I still think this issue has blown up out of proportion.

If you really do want to keep playing PS4 games 15 years from now on your old consoles, there are ways to do so. It doesn't matter if the CMOS battery is dead or not, when Sony eventually pulls the plug on the PS4 servers (which IMO, will last a lot longer than PS3 did), you can still play your games. Which is why I don't get why people are so outraged. We're talking in terms of decades here. You'll still be able to play your PS4 stuff, just not connected to official Sony servers.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 servers aren't going anywhere anytime soon. With native PS4 BC on the PS5, the PS4 side of PSN is safe for a good long time.

Look, I'm not trying to defend Sony here. I wish they were paying me to shill for them, but no such luck. I hate Jim Ryan's stance on backwards compatibility. I was one of those holding out hope that the PS5 would come out with BC for all past PlayStation systems. That said, I still think this issue has blown up out of proportion.

If you really do want to keep playing PS4 games 15 years from now on your old consoles, there are ways to do so. It doesn't matter if the CMOS battery is dead or not, when Sony eventually pulls the plug on the PS4 servers (which IMO, will last a lot longer than PS3 did), you can still play your games. Which is why I don't get why people are so outraged. We're talking in terms of decades here. You'll still be able to play your PS4 stuff, just not connected to official Sony servers.
The bolded is the problem though, we don't know that

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
So PS4 is designed to be obsolete by literally bricking itself.

Wasn't Apple slapped with a class action for pumping your older iPhones with updates that worsened your experience to push you to the new phone?

So we sue?

No. You don't sue over some possibility of an injury down the road. Apple users sued because they claimed Apple was slowing down the devices they had in hand. They had an actual injury to claim.

Parts of intricate technology failing over time is not planned obsolescence.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
so has there been any actual legislation done to address these types of end of life online software issues? I saw someone mention European consumer laws earlier, is that something that could be invoked or improved upon?

That seems like the only actual solution, since everything else seems to just rely on a for-profit private corporation doing it out of the goodness of their own heart, which obviously isn't super reliable. Seems like there should actually be a legally enforceable requirement basically saying something like "if at any point the activation servers on a piece of software are not working for X time, piracy is fine for it now, let the hackers have at it with no ip/legal repercussions", lol

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The bolded is the problem though, we don't know that

We do know it's possible though because custom firmware exists today that both negates DRM on the console and enables setting the internal clock without an authoritative source (ie. Sony's server), so yes as long as you aren't going to tie yourself to only using official firmware once Sony has abandoned all services on the platform then you will be able to continue using your old hardware.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Physical PS4 games apparently work without the battery and an internet connection, ironically considering the same is not true for actual PS4s.
Well, I guess we just discovered what's Sony's planned solution for PS4 game preservation...
Physical PS5 games are a mixed bag. Some work and are playable, others won't even install, more testing will be done there
... and it's probably easy to extrapolate their solution for PS5 game preservation, too.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
so has there been any actual legislation done to address these types of end of life online software issues? I saw someone mention European consumer laws earlier, is that something that could be invoked or improved upon?

That seems like the only actual solution, since everything else seems to just rely on a for-profit private corporation doing it out of the goodness of their own heart, which obviously isn't super reliable. Seems like there should actually be a legally enforceable requirement basically saying something like "if at any point the activation servers on a piece of software are not working for X time, piracy is fine for it now, let the hackers have at it with no ip/legal repercussions", lol
I'm sure the whole "we have the right to revoke access at any time" in the TOS covers the legal bases.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If you really do want to keep playing PS4 games 15 years from now on your old consoles, there are ways to do so. It doesn't matter if the CMOS battery is dead or not, when Sony eventually pulls the plug on the PS4 servers (which IMO, will last a lot longer than PS3 did), you can still play your games.

Isn't the whole point of contention that no battery, no PS4 servers = no play?
(unless you mean you can play them on PS5 as per the OP).

Normal Vita games (both physical and digital) continue working, except for PS+ rentals.

Wait, really? Well I guess that's one way for Sony to ensure I never renew my PS+ subscription every again.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand comments like this. I have consoles from the 1980's. Is it unreasonable to believe that kids today will still want these consoles when they are in there 40's?

My SNES and games work 100% the way they did nearly 30 years ago. Even the defenders of this dumb shit would never say they expect the PS5 to work with no issues 30 years from now.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I honestly don't get this recent fascination the internet has with the CMOS battery. Electronics - especially high tech luxury ones - aren't meant to last indefinitely. Better check your PC motherboards, smartphones and old gameboy cartridges. The batteries on those will run out too *cue scary noises*

we can replace cmos on PC and it wont even ask for internet connection for the games to run. PC is completely on another level here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
" Physical PS4 games apparently work without the battery and an internet connection, ironically considering the same is not true for actual PS4s."

Best news, seems the rest is a mixed bag and I would never get a PS5 digital now.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really? Well I guess that's one way for Sony to ensure I never renew my PS+ subscription every again.
I can at least understand tying PS+ games to the clock, since they're rentals. It's everything else that's baffling. On Vita, the clock killing PSM is completely dumb, but Sony already pulled a worse action regarding those.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
I'm so glad that gaming is disposable for me. Once I'm done with a game I forget it exists and my current ps5 will be gone without hesitation once a revision arrives...

Let's not focus on your or any one person's opinions on games as disposable media or art. This is a game preservation issue. Surely you see the value of studying history of any kind, whether it be the history of the entire world, or more discrete, abstract concepts like specific countries, even those that may no longer exist. Or the arts and media consumed by a culture in a specific period, videogames in this case. This online authentication just stands in the way of making sure these games are playable for whatever reason by interested people in the future.

Emulation is absolutely the best way to preserve videogames and RPCS3 has been making great strides on the PS3 end. But nothing is set in stone. We're still at the stage where you have to have PS3 hardware if you want to explore the library in more than superficial depth. And maybe in the future RPCS3 never gets to the point of say the Playstation or Nintendo 64 emulators where accuracy is satisfactory enough that almost all games can be played with only minor hiccups at worst (nevermind getting to the higan/bsnes level, an almost perfect digital replica of the original console. The SNES and its entire library will live on forever to be appreciated as cultural pieces and works of art of a long-gone age by future generations). In that case, and with all original hardware rendered useless by this authenticating BS, the PS3 is royally screwed.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the whole "we have the right to revoke access at any time" in the TOS covers the legal bases.

While that's probably true under current laws, seems like that's an obvious thing that could be addressed by new legislation that better balances the needs of game preservation and accessibility in the long term with the "needs" of profits and IP rights in the short term.

In theory, some organization like the ESA would be pushing for this kind of thing (of course, that's if they actually represented the interest of video games as a cultural art form that should be preserved, and not just the interests of specific companies, but that's obviously a bigger issue)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
When you install a Xbox One game for the first time on a Series X, you need an online connection for it to work.

Explanation from OscarK

You can't even setup an Xbox without an online connection.
Microsoft needs to fix this.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I can at least understand tying PS+ games to the clock, since they're rentals. It's everything else that's baffling. On Vita, the clock killing PSM is completely dumb, but Sony already pulled a worse action regarding those.

For some reason I thought that PS+ games would be unavailable after Sony shutting down the PS Store this year, not that they would become so if the clock battery died. The latter does make sense.

And yeah, RIP PSM.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, should PS3/PS4 owners, go ahead and replace their cmos batteries now? Preemptively - while the servers are still hot?

Is it difficult to do?

Are there any longer-lasting/heavy duty cmos batteries for the PS3 available on the cheap?

Any recommendations?

What does the authentication process entail? Boot, connect to PSN, voila?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, should PS3/PS4 owners, go ahead and replace their cmos batteries now? Preemptively - while the servers are still hot?

Is it difficult to do?

Are there any longer-lasting/heavy duty cmos batteries for the PS3 available on the cheap?

Any recommendations?

What does the authentication process entail? Boot, connect to PSN, voila?
For PS3, yes, since you have to take apart the whole PS3 to reach it.

CitrusScorpio

Feb 18, 2021
except these systems require a PSN sign-in to authenticate and play games,,,

people are going to have to hack their systems to be able to get them to function. big difference