• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Harry Potter RPG and many spin offs (Quidditch, card game...)
LOTR open world RPG like The Witcher
Justice League, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash........ games like Spiderman PS4.
I don't think doing LOTR would be smart moving forward with the IP being used by other groups. Too much risk to have the IP damaged by another developer.
Only Batman in DC has seen any success. Just because one worked is no guarantee that another would. That too is a lot of risk.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
That's literally what I was saying. A deal would include exclusive rights to make games based on the IPs, not giving EA the Batman IP all together. That would never happen.
That's the issue here.
is it going to be a perpetual exclusive licensing agreement? or does AT&T have the power not to renew or outright cancel the licensing agreement some time in the future?
Does the buyer have the right to use every WB IP past, present, and future?
Forking 4 billion over these variables is just absurd.

Last edited:

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
If MS went in its not for IP. It'd be for the technical skills within studios. Rocksteady alone would be a perfect fit. They excel at games Xbox needs to add to their stable.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's the issue here.
is it going to be a perpetual exclusive licensing agreement? or does AT&T have the power not to renew or outright cancel the licensing agreement sometime in the future?
No, depends on the contract, and no.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Dunno why people are listing the likes of Zenimax or Embracer Group; they are small fry. WB Games is bigger than either of them; WB Games is currently the 5th largest 3rd party video game publisher in the world.

Within the videogame industry, only 3 video game publishers (EA, Take Two, Activision) and two platform holders (Sony, Microsoft), could actually afford them at all.

Otherwise, it would have to be a company from outside the video game industry that really wants a quick and sudden entry point into the western video game market in a major, industry shaking way; and has a mindboggling level of financial backing to not only pay $4+ billion as one time downpayment, but also finance the running costs of the 5th largest video game publisher in the world.

There is only one company that immediately springs to mind; and that company is Tencent. Otherwise? It could be Vivendi; but Tencent simply want it more. This is the big IN into the western market that they have really been waiting for; and they are going to pounce at the chance.

Eh, even though Tencent can afford to do it, do you really think they would? Their entire video game model is based almost entirely on the GaaS model. Have they shown a major interest in games outside of that bubble?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, even though Tencent can afford to do it, do you really think they would? Their entire video game model is based almost entirely on the GaaS model. Have they shown a major interest in games outside of that bubble?

They can still be GAAS and still have a subsidiary that makes and publishes games. They gave Platinum a lot of money and I don't recall Platinum wanting to do GAAS.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
They can still be GAAS and still have a subsidiary that makes and publishes games. They gave Platinum a lot of money and I don't recall Platinum wanting to do GAAS.

They've invested and have minor holdings in non-GaaS entities. But there's a massive difference between investing in an independent entity, and spending $4+ billion dollars on a massive entity and then having to maintain / run it.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This comes from someone with connections to WB Film and Television Departments. It looks like Microsoft might be interested.

If MS went in its not for IP. It'd be for the technical skills within studios. Rocksteady alone would be a perfect fit. They excel at games Xbox needs to add to their stable.
DC alone would be worth a hefty price, but throwing in Mortal Kombat, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the near limitless amount of IP that WB owns it surely is a big deciding factor. That could help boost their exclusive count exponentially.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
That's the issue here.
is it going to be a perpetual exclusive licensing agreement? or does AT&T have the power not to renew or outright cancel the licensing agreement some time in the future?
Why would you imagine that these variables wouldn't be clarified in a letter of intent?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Hey era, lets put our money together and purchase these studios and create the ultimate game that we all want. I'll start with donating $2.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This comes from someone with connections to WB Film and Television Departments. It looks like Microsoft might be interested.

DC alone would be worth a hefty price, but throwing in Mortal Kombat, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the near limitless amount of IP that WB owns it surely is a big deciding factor. That could help boost their exclusive count exponentially.

Ugh.

They are kicking the tires.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I jumped to the end of the thread, but am I right in assuming it comes down to the following (already in the industry) in terms of "having the money" and "leveraging the talent"?:

Zenimax
Tencent
EA
Ubisoft
Activision
Sony
MS
Apple
Amazon
Google

Unless, of course, studios are sold off individually. I couldn't see WB packaging their IP (because why when they can licence stuff out to anyone after the fact, a la Disney). Tencent, Amazon, and Google make the most business sense to buy outright.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Reporters are not corporate development people or bankers; this stuff is kept under *much* closer wraps than the likes of content leaks.
These are the same people who said Disney was buying Fox way before it happened. The same people who knew Disney was buying LucasArts. The same people who knew WB was gonna start selling off some shit to offset their debt. You're telling me they now wouldn't be able to find out who wants to buy WB Games? Come on, son.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This would be a poor purchase honestly. More problems than it is worth it (unless you are Tencent).

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
That Monolith Productions, looking kinda good.

What does Sony lack nowdays? first person shooters. Hmm.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

This guy specifically I wouldn't trust on this matter.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
These are the same people who said Disney was buying Fox way before it happened. The same people who knew Disney was buying LucasArts. The same people who knew WB was gonna start selling off some shit to offset their debt. You're telling me they now wouldn't be able to find out who wants to buy WB Games? Come on, son.
Whereas I've been on tons of deals where people continuously guess wrong based on nothing; where people have gotten fired for even hinting out of department; where lucky guesses get touted as prescience; he might have a source which has a sense, which does not make him someone with direct insider exposure but rather secondhand, so yeah, I'll take my skepticism based on experience vs some coy tweets. Like, at minimum you'd want to check with legal for more than a day prior to writing an article, not start leaving cute breadcrumbs on Twitter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Rocksteady and NetherRealm would be great gets for Sony. They need a studio capable of great fighting games and Rocksteady would thrive with Sony backing.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
RockSteady would be a great first party Sony studio imo.
They've partnered with Sony for marketing before so maybe they have a good working relationship. Regardless I hope they're given creative freedom under any publisher and we see more releases from them...they're such a talented studio.

ValDMU2

Dec 14, 2017

He said on Twitter that the Batman game will not be cancelled. What do you think?

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think Vul is just joking. He's mocking the idea.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No.

$2 billion for the studios would start to make a lot more sense for current publishers.

Which is bad news for a lot of people :-/
I would go as far as saying that $2B for
-MK with NRS
-Rocksteady
-few near completion games ready to be published (Harry Potter, Batman)
-rest of studios
is pretty good.

Still, I don't think MS or Sony are interested in the whole package. They have plenty of venues they need to invest in already, don't need suddenly more on the platter.

But I can see now definitely a bidding war between EA/Activison and Tencent.