• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/asiasquawkbox/status/1570606911187451904?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
On acquisitions
CNBC:
It does appear to be an arms race. Everyone's getting incredibly acquisitive at the moment. So, aside from Activision and potentially what happens there, are you still looking to remain acquisitive because you've got Tencent really starting to get involved in the space now. You've got Sony nibbling at the edges. Or is it just about waiting and seeing what happens with Activision and then pressing pause for a little bit in terms of buying up other studios?

Phil Spencer:
Yeah, I mean you mentioned it, you nailed it. This is such a competitive market. I don't think we get to press pause on anything. Uh you know, Tencent is the largest gaming company on the planet today and they continue to heavily invest in gaming content and game creators. Sony is a larger business than we are in gaming today and they continue to invest. When you look at the investments that we've made, it's a highly, highly competitive market. We strive to be a major player here. We want to deliver great content for our players and we're going to remain active. Like I said, whether that's investing in our internal teams that are already building great games that people know and love. Whether it's building new partnerships.

And one of the things I love about coming here to Tokyo is the developers. I get to meet with the new partnerships we have with people like Kojima Productions and going to talk with some of our existing publishing partners and independent creators about games that we want to build. And if it turns into acquisitive M&A work, we're active there too. So the work for us never ends. It's a competitive market and I want to make sure Xbox is at the forefront of innovation and competition.

On console pricing
CNBC:
We saw Sony upping the prices of their consoles just recently. Is Microsoft categorically able to say that you won't be raising prices on your Series S or X?

Phil Spencer:
We're always evaluating our business going forward. So I don't think we can ever say on anything that we will never do something. But when we look at our consoles today, and you talked about it - Series X and Series S, we think value is incredibly important. We love the position of Series S in the market, which is our lower cost console. Over half of our new players that we're finding are coming in through Series S.

And I can definitely say we have no plans today to raise price of our consoles. We think in a time when our customers are more economically challenged and uncertain than ever, we don't think it's the right move for us at this point to be raising prices on our console.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't done buying pubs if he using Tencent as an example, buckle up everyone.

Good answer on the console prices though.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachy. Must be nice having a bottomless well of money to dip into. Crazy how these mega companies are just swallowing IP in every industry.

Dude is pretty decent at PR I'll give him that.

Jun 25, 2022
Good on MS. They seem to be making the right decisions.

I hope they're doing lots of publisher deals in and outside Japan.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
Not like I expected them to pause on acquisitions since they're committed but I don't think they'll be able to acquire another publisher for a LONG time. If they're targeting smaller independent companies fair enough but I suspect going after a Japanese pub is going to be a lot tougher than imagined.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Phil go in for the kil

Lyin' Ryan ain't got no comeback for that.

yes I'm aware Phil is not some benevolent christ figure. I just wanted an excuse to write Lyin' Ryan

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
People on this site told me MS was absolutely not going on a buying spree after Activision and that there's no way Microsoft would ever try to gobble up as many third party publishers as possible though?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
microsoft gonna save the games industry by buying EA

sony the assclowns will buy the kena devs or sommit, those shady fucks

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
IMO, there is no way they would bid for something Ubi, EA, Take 2 sized. Regulators already looking at Activision deal, another large deal may lush things to the point MS would regret.

Smaller studios is a different animal.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
People on this site told me MS was absolutely not going on a buying spree after Activision and that there's no way Microsoft would ever try to gobble up as many third party publishers as possible though?
He didn't say he was looking to buy more publishers explicitly.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
MS buying EA and Ubisoft will be justified since Sony secured a 6-month time exclusivity for a 3rdParty JRPG two years ago.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Did people really say they weren't going to buy anyone else after Activision or they aren't going to buy more massive publishers? Pretty important distinction and I feel like most people fall in the latter.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Feels like Phils final fantasy is to buy as many 3rd party publishers as possible after Activision.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
"Microsoft's Gaming Outlook"

someone at that station thinks they are more clever than they actually are.

anyway, great news.

love me some JPRGS.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting. They are probably looking at devs and pubs in Japan for their next acquisition.

Last edited:

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
When you have as much money as Microsoft does you don't need to raise the price on your consoles. You can more than afford to deal with it for a short period of time.

I like how when asked about taking COD away Phil goes back to the usual of avoiding the question and using the "we want more people to play our games and that can include PC or cloud." That's another way of saying yes we will take it away from PS but we think more people will still get to play as long as it's in our ecosystem.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Bully for not raising prices, fuck off for deciding more acquisitions is what this industry needs.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
he's not watching out for us. This is all PR and its good PR.It iscertainly making me appreciate MS and Gamepass as a value.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
One thing is gobbling up Activision, another is trying to buy Capcom, SE, Konami, Sega, etc. Japanese acquisition laws are different and right now MS probably raising anti-consumerism concerns worldwide., I'm sure now the Japanese Consumer Dept would not approve a MS Big Studio and/or publisher acquisition. Only keeping trying to partner is Phil's only way of getting more Japanese support or buying smaller publishers.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Based on absolutely nothing, I wouldn't be surprised if the next acquisition is in place waiting for the Activision approval

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
One thing is gobbling up Activision, another is trying to buy Capcom, SE, Konami, Sega, etc. Japanese acquisition laws are different and after now probably raising anti-consumerism in Europe, I'm sure the Japanese Consumer Dept would not approve a MS Big Studio and/or publisher acquisition. Only keeping trying to partner is Phil's only way of getting more Japanese support

What's stopping MS from acquiring a publisher in Japan for example? People often say that MS can acquire a publisher in Japan, but they don't provide specifics.

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see who Microsoft sets their sights on next.

Subscription services require content for growth. There's been this weird notion that Activision/Blizzard/King would be the last major acquisition Microsoft would make for a while and that was never a logical conclusion.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It will be interesting to see who Microsoft sets their sights on next.

Subscription services require content for growth. There's been this weird notion that Activision/Blizzard/King would be the last major acquisition Microsoft would make for a while and that was never a logical conclusion.

As a certain point though, the regulators will step in. They already have concerns about the Activision purchase, another major publisher would surely set alarm bells ringing.

With another major publisher, they could no longer use the excuse that they are number 3 for revenue :P

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Waiting on Jim Ryan to complain that Microsoft is undercutting them because they won't increase the price of the Xbox.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Big PR win, but just that PR.
One thing is gobbling up Activision, another is trying to buy Capcom, SE, Konami, Sega, etc. Japanese acquisition laws are different and right now MS probably raising anti-consumerism concerns worldwide., I'm sure now the Japanese Consumer Dept would not approve a MS Big Studio and/or publisher acquisition. Only keeping trying to partner is Phil's only way of getting more Japanese support or buying smaller publishers.
If MS wants to buy a JP company MS can buy a JP company, so can Tencent or Netease or anyone else. Please stop the JP laws meme it was debunked a million times since all these weird acquisition talks here started.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
As a certain point though, the regulators will step in. They already have concerns about the Activision purchase, another major publisher would surely set alarm bells ringing.
Is the worry with Activision that Xbox is too big or how they'll handle Activision's IPs and to a smaller extent the outlook on cloud/cloud gaming?

Regulators being worried about Call of Duty going exclusive isn't really the same kind of alarm bells that would ring if they bought a smaller publisher that mostly focused on single player games.

Status
Not open for further replies.