• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
While many fans have rallied behind Disney in the wake of reports that talks had broken down between the company and Sony over future Spider-Man films, at least one person is standing behind Sony — Stan Lee's daughter.

In a statement to TMZ, Joan Lee said Marvel and Disney need to be "checked and balanced" as they seek total control of her father's creations.

"Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view," she said. While legendary comic book writer Lee created the Spider-Man character for Marvel comics in the 1960s, Sony has owned the film rights to the character for about two decades.
Lee seemed to support Sony's decision not to accept this new co-financing deal.

"When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me," Lee said. "From day one, they have commoditized my father's work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency. In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."

Representatives for Disney did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.
Call me Night Monkey if old.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Stan's daughter is hardly an impartial force here - she's long been accused of basically using her dying father as a meal ticket to spend huge amounts of money because he loved her too much to say no to her, especially after his wife passed away. I would be hesitant to immediately believe that she had Stan's best interests (or wishes) in mind for something like this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bold words coming from a woman who financially, physically, and psychologically abused her father.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I mean, I'm pretty sure the handler who was abusing him and profiting off him (like selling his blood) treated Stan Lee worse.

May 17, 2019
Yeah, it's freakin Disney and Marvel, why would this be a surprise? One is responsible for the modern hellscape of lackluster blockbusters, copyright law, and culture consumerism. The other is part of the superhero comic environment that regularly destroys talent, screws over creators, and effed up the comics market.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's fair to want multiple interpretations of a character, but this part of the quote:
no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me
seems kinda fishy to me. I remember the reports about her taking advantage of him, and this seems like she felt entitled to his legacy.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad how so many people inside and outside of his family used and abused Stan. The man deserved better.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah I dunno about this she was insanely abusive to Stan to begin with. So honestly he's probably done more then Marvel or Disney have.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Stan's daughter is hardly an impartial force here - she's long been accused of basically using her dying father as a meal ticket to spend huge amounts of money because he loved her too much to say no to her, especially after his wife passed away. I would be hesitant to immediately believe that she had Stan's best interests (or wishes) in mind for something like this.
Bold words coming from a woman who financially, physically, and psychologically abused her father.
Didn't she abuse him too? She used to sell his blood I think.
It's fair to want multiple interpretations of a character, but this part of the quote:

seems kinda fishy to me. I remember the reports about her taking advantage of him, and this seems like she felt entitled to his legacy.
Considering she directly abused her own father for years (or a long time) I don't think anyone should give a shit about what she has to say

Yup it's all detailed by THR here:

The origin of this quote in the OP is from fucking TMZ.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disgusting to learn Disney mistreated Stan, and that people will still support Disney here despite this news. Stan deserved better.

I'll believe his daughter over the Hollywood machine.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Hoo boy, a mega conglomerate does not need to be white knighted on the internet so much, just because they make some superhero movies you like.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess she was expecting a "sorry for your loss" call?
You're right but I guess, just seems odd to me is all.
She wanted to be part of the MCU.

:-/
LOL, She probably is as a comic book character inspired or at least traits are based off of her
Generally when an important person dies, their condolences are given to the family. Stan Lee, was important to both marvel and disney. So if no response was given to her. That would be somewhat weird. Unless she wanted something else.
Makes sense, I'm more use to if said person was an employee, instead of associated even if important, but yeah.

Thanks all!

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Yeah, it's freakin Disney and Marvel, why would this be a surprise? One is responsible for the modern hellscape of lackluster blockbusters, copyright law, and culture consumerism. The other is part of the superhero comic environment that regularly destroys talent, screws over creators, and effed up the comics market.
Woah! You are an outlier on this forum!

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd heard that Stan Lee was abused by people close to him, but STEALING HIS BLOOD is quite a fucking twist.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People here believing his daughter, who has a history of being greedy, abusive, reckless and making up lies. Just to shit on Marvel. What a sight to behold.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Yup it's all detailed by THR here:

The origin of this quote in the OP is from fucking TMZ.
Joanie was always more successful at handling their unruly only daughter, with whom Stan has a powder-keg relationship. Though some with an intimate knowledge of the household speak of her vivacious spirit and kindness, the never-married J.C. also has a reputation as a prodigious shopper with an ill-tempered personality who has been kicked out of multiple businesses around Los Angeles, including, according to a dining companion at the time, the Chateau Marmont. She's chafed at what she sees as unjust restrictions on her trust and has taken that out on her father. According to medical personnel who have cared for Lee, J.C.'s badgering, often insulting phone calls to her father (which can number in the dozens a day and which, out of a mix of guilt and love, he nearly always answers) frequently leave him hoarse from fighting. "For any little thing, she'll argue," says a former caregiver. "She's very inconsiderate."
According to household staff and business associates, there have been times when J.C.'s verbal outbursts have turned physical. One incident took place in winter 2014, explains Lee's former business and asset manager Bradley J. Herman, after J.C. discovered that the new Jaguar convertible parked outside, which she thought had been purchased for her, was in fact only leased — and in her father's name. Herman, in Stan's office to handle some paperwork, recalls that the argument spiraled out of control after J.C. called her parents "fucking stupid" and Joanie told her the car was "now [Joanie's.]"
According to Herman — whose active Hollywood client list he keeps private but who previously worked for Johnny Carson and Frank Sinatra — J.C. then roughly grabbed her mother by one arm, shoving her against a window. Joanie fell to the carpeted floor. Lee, seated in a nearby chair and looking stunned, told J.C. he was cutting her off: "I'm going to stick you in a little apartment and take away all your credit cards!" Herman recalls Lee shouting. "I've had it, you ungrateful bitch!" In "a rage," J.C. took hold of Lee's neck, slamming his head against the chair's wooden backing. Joanie suffered a large bruise on her arm and burst blood vessels on her legs; Lee had a contusion on the rear of his skull. (J.C. has previously denied the incident.)
Awful person.