• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am a lone wolf by design, I have gone to the movies by myself a couple times. And I just cannot agree. I think going to the movie theater is inherently supposed to be a social experience, that's when I enjoy it the most... Which is weird to me (being a loner).

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I absolutely love going to the theater, especially when I end up being the only one there. I slot out budget and days specifically for it. It's painful as fuck for me to sit there for a couple hours like that (nerve stuff), but it's always worth it. I don't do the iMAX stuff though - just the $10-12 tickets. Sometimes I'll go for the $14-16 RPX tickets depending on the movie.

The Regal here also has pretty good food now too at not-extortion prices. You can get a good chicken strip basket for $7.99, Hamburgers, and other stuff. I just stay away from the ridiculously priced popcorn and soda and bring in my own drink and buy the "real" food there.

I don't go *that* often, but I do make it a point to go see every Marvel and DC movie at least. Plus some others I just have to see in a theater.

At home I have a 60" Plasma and a pretty nice surround system with floor standing speakers and good lighting for movies, but it's really just not ever the same.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
90% of my movies I see by myself. I hate having to work around people's schedules/taste. Result of being the youngest boy of 3 older sisters so I'd always have to solo my dumb action or animated movies growing up.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a loner and yeah have to disagree, watching it alone in a theater feels like.. Boring? I've gone couple times alone and it just made the movie more boring to watch imo

Also I hate going to the theaters in general. Hate not having the power to pause a movie cause I have to pee, and if I do go to the bathroom I miss out D;

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I go to the cinema by myself all the time. Not once have I every felt that it has a better experience than going with others nor was it something to be ashamed of. It's all about convenience and what I want to do.
90% of my movies I see by myself. I hate having to work around people's schedules/taste.
Yeah, this guy gets it.

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the new Halloween alone on Halloween with just a few dozen or so people in the theater. It was pretty fun and atmospheric.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's even better if the movies been out for a few weeks and no one else is there. Almost like watching Netflix at home but with a bomb ass screen and sound in front of you. So much fun! :)

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
The only negative is watching horror movies. It's a lot scarier but not as fun when the rest of your row is empty. And with so little people, you can easily pinpoint which audience member is the weakest and scares the easiest (i.e. me).

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been going alone for a long time now. It's great. Sometimes, I luck out and get the whole theater to myself like it's my own screening room.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Blade Runner 2049 (second viewing) in an empty Dolby Cinema. It was glorious.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No! You have to take someone with you but don't talk to them or else everyone in the theater will hate you. Those are the rules for... some reason.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I went to the cinema alone, it felt really weird ... but now it's my preferred way to go to the cinema. Only go with the Mrs for movies we both are equally interested in, but otherwise for cheesy popcorn movies (eg The Predator) I go alone because a/ I want to watch them, b/ I don't want to have anyone else suffer through them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'll go to the theatre alone. But, almost never during the day. It has to be in the evening or straight night time.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Did this a couple of weekends ago and saw The Favorite. Was great, but I like doing stuff that are supposed to be social on my own anyways.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Going in as a group is always a pita and people bounce right after the movie so there's no post movie conversation. Nah, give me early Sunday morning viewings in the very back row.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what. I'm gonna start doing this. You don't talk to the people during the movie anyways so who gives a shit? I've gone to see bands play by myself.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to embrace it now that my wife left me and I still love movies. I used to when I was younger, and its still been a hard change. I still see a few movies a month alone now.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I see plenty of movies by myself, like already said, it's convenient and you can run on your own schedule. Of course for event films (Star Wars, Marvel) I will see with friends

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Early bird screenings are the best. You might get a couple of old folks but thats about it. Plus they are cheat.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I honestly prefer to go alone during the day. I can call up anyone else after the show and yap about it while I get to get whatever food I want at my own pace. Hangout and shit. Don't need to rush. Maybe go back in and see the same film again! Having that "me time" to digest a good film without the need to natter is pretty fantastic.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Uh.

I don't like talking during movies, so I always go out on my own. Hell, I like to be alone most of the time. I go to live music bars and have a few beers while I watch a few bands on my own. Why people make a fuss out of doing something like this? Why are people so fucking nosy lol.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer going to movies alone. The last 3 movies I saw in theatres was by myself. I actually saw a play by myself tonight

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I always go to the movies alone. The last time I can remember going with someone else was when my sister dragged me to see Fellowship of the RIng when it came out.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Once I was having a mental break and I went to see Deadpool alone and then hopped to 13 cloverfield lan

A day

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been going to the movies alone for like 20-30 years. It's pretty much unavoidable if you like arthouse/independent movies, because it's difficult to convince friends to spend $15+ on a documentary, foreign film, or experimental film.

It was kind of annoying to have the article treat solo moviegoing as if it's some kind of incredible revelation, when it's often a necessity just to see the films you want to see. I kind of pity the people who end up skipping the films they want to see, just because they can't get anyone to go with them.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I saw Into the Spider-Verse solo at 3pm in the afternoon and had an absolute blast. Nobody ever responded to me about going to see it so I just went by myself one day. There were like 6 other people in the theater and it was one of the best experiences I've had with dealing with the crowd at the theater. There was no talking, no screaming kids, no cellphone usage, it was about as good as you would expect.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I enjoy going alone, but more and more the experience of going to movies ends up being annoying. Other people are annoying. I can't stand the chewing, the wrapper sounds, the talking, popcorn bag sounds, the babies crying. Yes people bring their god damn babies to movies.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I go to the cinema alone all of the time. If I want to see a film, I go see it. Simple like that.

Oct 28, 2017
Played hooky from work last spring and saw Infinity War mid-day by myself. It was almost therapeutic. Can't wait to do the same for Endgame.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
My second job is at a movie theater, and I absolutely LOVE seeing movies alone sometimes.

It's just time to sit back and not give a shit about anyone else