• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing this for years. When I worked random hours, I'd be able to go on a random afternoon. Now I generally do it on Sunday mornings. People are out to breakfast or at church and I have an entire theater to myself.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I love going to the cinema alone during the day, perfect way to procrastinate. Can't go too often right now though, I don't have any cinema near where I live...

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I go to the movies alone -almost- every week depending on what is playing. I'm a fan of everything from small dramas to Hollywood blockbusters, so I say "almost" due to the fact that there's always that off week where there genuinely isn't anything to see.

I have a wonderful indie theater right down the street from me, and my favorite movie theater with reserved seats is only about 10 minutes away. Convenience plays a huge part in this for me, and for that I'm grateful.

At first though, I was a little bit hesitant because I would think, "what will people think that I'm going to a movie alone? Will they think I'm weird?" And honestly, I found out really quick that nobody gives two fucks. I've gotten incredibly comfortable taking off on a particularly stressful day, no matter the day, and catching something and just clearing my head while getting sucked into a great film. I still go with my friends and family a lot, especially during blockbuster season, but nothing stops me from seeing a film I am interested in. Tickets are cheap as hell during the day, and nobody is ever really around. It actually does wonders for people with anxiety, and I genuinely suggest that people who want to but are hesitant to take that first step to just do it. It's really no big deal at all.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this is a big deal anymore, especially with how smartphones do everything nowadays so you have something to keep you occupied before the movie starts. When I go with other people, we are mostly on our cell phones anyway before the movie starts....

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Aside from releases that should be watched in IMAX for best experience, I usually only go the movies because friends drag me to it. It's very expensive here that I can't justify paying a cinema ticket when I can watch the movie a few months later at a much higher quality.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Never in my life have I found myself thinking, "I wanna watch this movie, but I really need to find someone to go with."
It's a movie. I can watch it on my own. I'm in a different world. Why do I need another human being right next to me?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to do this all the time, and I really, really miss it. I might have to figure out a way to make it happen, maybe take a day off from work or something.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I do this often. The theater is 5 minutes down the road so sometimes I just like to go see random movies during the day. I don't have to sync my schedule and make sure the movie is something someone else wants to see. For bigger releases I'll usually wait for friends.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I used to get out of class and go to the movie theater early in the afternoon as a teen, it was usually super empty.
It was amazing.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Always see movies by myself unless it's a movie with my kids. I enjoy my routine by myself.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I did this once and it was awesome. All I had was two old ladies in the theater with me.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
I did it for alita and before that it was around 10 years ago, I go with friends sometime but not often either.
Make movies I want to watch here and we talk about it, well firstly try to make movies I at least want to watch.

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
I really like watching them on my own. Usually morning session if possible. I felt weird the first time doing it but it feels great now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I do this all the time, because my favorite theatre has a full bar in it. Just go watch something terrible during off hours, with the staff bringing me whiskey every 20 minutes

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Aint nothing guilty about it. I see most of my movies alone.

ok mostly because I don't have any friends to go see them with

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can never do this. Feels too lonely.

Ironically, I go to restaurant alone all the time. I just go to the bar and chat up the bartender.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm...

I might try this now. Gonna watch Alita. I've been putting it off since my partner is busy.
Just got home from watching it. Other than not having someone to talk to about the film, it was great. Well being one of the only three people watching at the time helped as well. It was like my private theatre complete with footrest and a bell to call for food and drinks.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was waiting for a friend a few months back so I decided to see a movie alone before I met him (I have an Unlimited card anyway so why not?).

Two teenage boys walked up the stairs and saw me and were saying shit like "Look at that guy all alone, I hope we aren't sitting next to him". Then later on "Who even comes to the cinema alone? It's something you just do when out with a friend and there's nothing else to do".

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah watching a movie at home.isnt the same

I go to the.movies often sometimes by myself and it can be a great experience

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I go alone every four or so days. It's like self care, my only moment not occupied with my daughter or my fiance or work or school.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The true guilty pleasure is buying a large bag of movie theater popcorn, applying butter and salt, and then walking right the fuck out.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'd say 90% of the time I see a movie in a theater it's by myself. Been doing it since Inside Llewyn Davis.

The few times I've been completely alone in the theater itself have been great, the last time being for You Were Never Really Here.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Love going to the movies alone. It's a zen like experience. Shouldn't even be considered a guilty pleasure

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, I don't go to movies alone because any movie I'd want to see I'd want to see with my GF so *shrugsville*

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Since I'm a cinema-lover, I watch a lot of artsy and experimental stuff, and I also go pretty often to the Toulouse's cinematheque in order to see a lot of great, old movies. (They air a lot of horror movie !) So, I go most of the time alone, since my girlfriend isn't really into cinema that isn't big and fun american blockbusters, or japanese animes, or french comedies.

And it's great. Going to watch a film on a sunday morning is sooo good. There's almost nobody.

It's not weird to do that. Of course cinema is supposed to be a public's experience. You're supposed to be with other people that you may or may not know, people are supposed to whisper, to eat, there's a lot of sound, you can hear the projector, etc.

But sometimes it feels good when the only thing you hear outside of the film, is the sound of the projector, it's pretty magical.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I lost my love for going to the cinema , because people either talk through the entire movie or can't avoid being on their phones. Sometimes I ignore it but most of the time I'm the guy telling them to shut up. I only go because my wife still enjoys it.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I go to the movies some asshole is constantly pulling out his phone. All the theaters by my house went to assigned seating as well and half the time there's someone that completely ignores it which inevitably makes for an awkward situation. Going to the movies sucks.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some people are weird about it, but I've always enjoyed going to the movies by myself. Not that I don't enjoy going with my wife or others as well, but going solo can be a really enjoyable experience. No one to think about or talk to, just turn off and focus in on the movie.

I wouldn't do it during peak hours though. I would not enjoy being in a packed theater by myself

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I do this all the time, because my favorite theatre has a full bar in it. Just go watch something terrible during off hours, with the staff bringing me whiskey every 20 minutes
My theater has a bar in it but it is only open at night, and I will never not do matinee

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I go to the theaters alone all the time. It's difficult finding people who like going to the movies on a regular basis (I have one friend group that does, and we go every Thursday now) and it's nigh impossible to find people to go watch indie flicks nowadays. If it's not Marvel, why go seems to be the mentality of a lot of people. I also find it's easier to digest and think about the movie afterwards if I'm on my own. With people, I have to pretend to not be a huge movie nerd and start explaining what exactly the problems are with movies like Suicide Squad or Justice League.

If I want to people to talk to about it, I go online and vomit out a short think piece on the movie and post it to social media.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Going solo is awesome. Obviously this isn't the best option for all movies, but it's so nice to just go by yourself and essentially experience something in private. Everyone deserves to treat themselves sometime without worrying about bringing friends/etc.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
One the one hand cinema has a huge screen and superior sound. On the other hand, Solo: A Star Wars Story looked like shit compared to the 4k HDR disc.
It's big allright but those grey blacks just look wrong. Sound can be better depending on your setup but some smaller theaters sound worse than at home.