• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
An interview with CNET with some excerpts:

Is this the last console? Everyone always talks about it, and there's this sense that it is, but I'm curious what you think.

What I think is: I actually don't know. I've been around awhile, and I sat there in 2012 and listened to all sorts of smart people tell me that mobile and that the PlayStation 4 was going to be the most terrible failure ever.

The logic was actually hard to fault. But we believed in that product then, we believe in this next generation product now -- who knows how it might evolve? Hybrid models between console and some sort of cloud model? Possibly that. I just don't know. And if I did know, I wouldn't tell you.

One topic about E3 I often hear is how marketing of a game is done. Looking at Sony, I'll never forget #PuddleGate with your Spider-Man game and how the accusations you'd downgraded the quality of your game were wrong. I was looking back and looked at The Last of Us and I was amazed at how similar the scenes you were showing off years before were nearly the same to what came out. And that's not something that's happened with every company, right? Even if everyone has the intention of showing off what they expect to release, obviously not everyone delivers that. So how do you make sure what you're showing off years in advance is so close to being what you're selling them later?

We always approach this issue with a high degree of integrity. And what we show is typically not years in advance -- typically it's months, or perhaps many months in some cases -- but it's real gameplay that has already been developed and we have a very high degree of confidence will appear in the final game.

This is conjecture, but it could be that our narrative-driven games perhaps lend themselves to the ability to have fidelity between the early vision and the final product perhaps more readily than something massively online in its nature.

More here: https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-pla...ss-transition-to-its-next-generation-console/

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
  • 120 Hz support for PS5
  • VR exceeded expectations
  • On streaming: "...we have to show an open mindedness and a desire to do things to an extent that we haven't had to in the past."
  • "...our intent is to build on those learnings and really look to try to take PlayStation Now to the next level later this year and then in the years to come."

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
By the looks of it, upgrade to PS5 will be the same as with PS4 Pro. Input user credentials, restore data from USB stick if you want (P.T. isntall :D) and rock on.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • On streaming: "...we have to show an open mindedness and a desire to do things to an extent that we haven't had to in the past."
Sweet if this means a massive increase of the amount of PS3 & PS4 games on PlayStation Now. Slowly we are approaching 8.000-9.000 games on both platforms, and only a very small slither amount is available on PSNow, a shame.

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Just add BC with PS3 and PS4 and it's all gravy for me. I'll be there with bells on with their top notch first party games.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What I think is: I actually don't know. I've been around awhile, and I sat there in 2012 and listened to all sorts of smart people tell me that mobile and that the PlayStation 4 was going to be the most terrible failure ever.

This was honestly such a strange time in the industry. Not only did you have the mobile narrative, but you had people who genuinely believed in the Ouya.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
This guy sound very reasonable and seems to be a nice guy.
This is the way

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sweet if this means a massive increase of the amount of PS3 & PS4 games on PlayStation Now. Slowly we are approaching 8.000-9.000 games on both platforms, and only a very small slither amount is available on PSNow, a shame.

If those figures are accurate then PS Now is nearly at 10% of the total number of games. Not too bad for a platform that hasn't been a driving focus for Sony yet.

Refusing to talk about next gen VR? I don't like the sound of that.

lol, because they're not ready to talk about that yet. We've gotten more than enough info over the past month to assure us there will be a PSVR 2

Oct 27, 2017
While Jim Ryan has been weird, (game looks like shit, why would anybody play this instead of the sequel) he does seem to be doing the right things so far.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan doing good so far in his tenure.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Refusing to talk about next gen VR? I don't like the sound of that.

"I said to him, 'well what does the PlayStation 5 look like?' And he said, 'you mean if'. And I was like, 'whoa, are you willing to say that on a stage?' And he goes 'yeah, it's an if'.

Sony has historically and categorically denies the existence of any product in development until they want to confirm that it exist.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Is the general consensus that PS5 hardware should be able to manage PS3 emulation?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Is the general consensus that PS5 hardware should be able to manage PS3 emulation?
Definitely wouldn't say it's a guarantee, Cell emulation is still really demanding and probably have all sorts of issues on a game by game basis. Best we should hope for is probably something like what Xbox do with 360 BC, where they add stuff over time when they are in a good enough state. Sony have only ever mentioned PS4 BC so far, so it's all I'm expectating.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely wouldn't say it's a guarantee, Cell emulation is still really demanding and probably have all sorts of issues on a game by game basis. Best we should hope for is probably something like what Xbox do with 360 BC, where they add stuff over time when they are in a good enough state. Sony have only ever mentioned PS4 BC so far, so it's all I'm expectating.
They really have no excuse for not having PS1 & PS2 emulation though.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 has PS1/2 emulation.

It's just not offered to you. It's offered to publishers/devs.
Well that's even worse then it's available just not to consumers. Hopefully it's there for consumers on the PS5. I don't really see the down side to the publishers making there catalogue available. It can only lead to more sales.

True, scrap the trophy requirement thing, as it's clearly not worked and just go back to the classics system PS3 and Vita have. I wouldn't expect physical disc support though.
If trophies are the barrier stopping us from getting it then definitely go back to the old system. Lack of physical support would be a shame for subsection of subsection that will use BC.

Last edited:

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the last console? Everyone always talks about it, and there's this sense that it is, but I'm curious what you think.

The logic was actually hard to fault. But we believed in that product then, we believe in this next generation product now -- who knows how it might evolve? Hybrid models between console and some sort of cloud model? Possibly that. I just don't know. And if I did know, I wouldn't tell you.
Hah that was the worst era ever in video game history.....

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile streaming will kill consoles 2013 2019 edition

Was an ok interview but way too much emphasis on what google will be doing and the death of consoles. Again. Good answer by Ryan about not knowing, and playing back the 2012 situation where all the experts had written fixed consoles off.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
AtUILKM.gif

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
He's a spin doctor. Not much of substance in that interview. He's spun some bs about cross platform play (gotta protect our users), EA access (ain't gonna let that steal our ps+ money), backward compatibility (did you see ps1 trash graphics? Nobody wanna play that shit), etc. We'll see how he does with ps5, which he sounds like he's clueless from the interview (well gees, we gonna go which ever way the wind blows I guess!)

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sort out BC, not everyone wants to pay more money to stream games they already own.

If you want extra goodwill find a way to get PS3 emulation from discs working on the PS5.

And finally, don't make the PS5 fucking noisy.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel he is well aware of the market and putting emphasis on right places .I m on board with him .

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"He also added that the device will offer ultra-high definition 4K visuals at 120Hz " How?

120hz at 1080p I can believe but native 4K? Not a chance.