• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
its my understanding that netflix has about 140 million users,

that would mean that about 60% of netflix's entire userbase watched this movie in its first month of release, i dont buy for a second that it's users are that homogenized in their taste that close together

i just dont buy it

who knows, maybe im wrong and it not computing is just my own failing to understand, it just doesn't seem right at all, theres nothing that stands out to me about Bird Box over any other netflix movie that would have people flocking to it in unprecedented droves

unless when you're watching any other content on netflix the interface is literally begging you to watch Bird Box and constantly trying to funnel you to it

These numbers came from a report filed with the SEC. Consequences for lying in such a report are incredibly severe. There is no reason to doubt to the numbers.

Subba

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
I really want to see the numbers on the The Office, Parks and Rec, Friends, etc.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they've become more open makes me think two things:

1) They were hesitant to show any numbers until they were significant enough to turn heads in Hollywood

2) They're entertaining the idea of, at some point, taking on ads - or having an ad-supported tier

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
its my understanding that netflix has about 140 million users,

that would mean that about 60% of netflix's entire userbase watched this movie in its first month of release, i dont buy for a second that it's users are that homogenized in their taste that close together

i just dont buy it

who knows, maybe im wrong and it not computing is just my own failing to understand, it just doesn't seem right at all, theres nothing that stands out to me about Bird Box over any other netflix movie that would have people flocking to it in unprecedented droves

unless when you're watching any other content on netflix the interface is literally begging you to watch Bird Box and constantly trying to funnel you to it
By now Netflix is a means to watch Netflix shows. Aside from The Office or Friends most people are watching Netflix-made or published content. What Netflix does then is heavily promote their next show on the website and social media in such a way that if people don't watch them because of that, they probably will because of network effects and peer pressure.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The attention Bird Box has been getting is baffling. The movie isn't even any good.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is Élite that good? I saw the trailer and it looked like trash
The attention Bird Box has been getting is baffling. The movie isn't even any good.
People need to stop assuming popularity means good lol.
Wait, You is good? I thought only my Gossip Girl's obsesive friends liked it.
Netflix's You is not good, but it's trashy and stupid (the dialogue is Riverdale-levels of unrealistic and cringe) so makes for an easy watch. The love interest Beck is such a mediocre white woman that the only thing interesting about her is her given name is Guinivere.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017

Netflix's You is not good, but it's trashy and stupid (the dialogue is Riverdale-levels of unrealistic and cringe) so makes for an easy watch. The love interest Beck is such a mediocre white woman that the only thing interesting about her is her given name is Guinivere.
So true. I tried watching You a couple weeks ago, couldn't get past the 5th episode, it's so terribly mediocre and badly written.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised about Sex Education.

You isn't the best show, but it is so entertaining. For example, a scene from episode 2:

Shopkeeper: "You read that one?"

*points at book MC is holding*

Main Character: "Just the first one."

Shopkeeper: "Typical."

*Shopkeeper slaps the main character*

Shopkeeper: "You think I need some illiterate working in my shop!?"

*Locks the main character into a sound-proof, see-through room with a bunch of books*

Shopkeeper: "If you want to work in this shop you learn the value of these books."

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want a second season to Sex Education. Otis and Maeve needs to become a thing before the show gets cancelled. I also never knew that would care about a pairing before watching Sex Education.

I love a lot of about this cast.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Heh, I was the opposite. I was annoyed that they appeared to make Maeve and Otis a thing. So cliche. Was rolling my eyes at the Adam resolution too (though my wife didn't see it coming). Anyway, I'd prefer Otis and Maeve to stay platonic.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

What a weird rant. I'm all for more inclusive practices, but Blake Lively is anything but mediocre in terms of looks I can assure you, and then they start conflating the undefinedness of the main characters, which seems super deliberate so that women can project themselves onto these characters, with the inclusion practices of real world actresses. None of that makes a lick of sense.
I still agree the undefinedness of women main characters is a problem, but that's hardly the actresses fault.