• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
www.cnet.com

Sony's PS5 design is 'bold, daring and future facing," PlayStation CEO says

The PlayStation head, in an interview with CNET, discusses the new PS5 design, launch games like Spider-Man, and pre-orders.

Q: Talk me through the design of the PS5 and the look you showed off today.

Ryan: For us, tonight was important because we wanted to demonstrate that what we're doing with PS5 really represents a quantum leap over the current generation. And the intent was to have the games do that for us...

Q: The disc version will also obviously offer backwards compatibility with those old discs too.

We said that the PS5 has been designed to play PS4 games. We're going through the process with the publishers and developers testing that rather exhaustive library of over 4,000 games. We're happy with the progress that's been made.

Intresing tidbit

Q: What's the difference between the all-digital PS5 and the standard one? Obviously there's a disc, but are you focusing on more storage?

As you saw, there is a small difference in the form factor of the two consoles. I'm sure you also observed, the basic design aesthetic is consistent between them. So there is that and the fact that the digital edition does not have a disk drive. That is it. Other than that, they are identical products.

We're just acknowledging here that as time passes our community is becoming more digitally orientated. In the first quarter of this year, two thirds of new games purchased were digitally downloaded. People increasingly, as they are with their music and their video, they prefer digital and we want to recognize that.

Guess that means the digital version will have the SSD capacity as the standard console.

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
So what are we talking about here, a $100 difference for just the disc drive?

EDIT: And the backwards comparability. Might want to stick that in the OP.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you guys expect a different size ssd? Games haven't run off the discs in a long time, they are installed and run of the hard drives.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
expected, don't know why people were thinking the digital one will have a bigger SSD...all games need to be installed regardless if you get the data first from disc or download

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would the digital edition have more storage space? It makes 0 difference because with a disc, you have to install the games anyway

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Uhm....

"Today is a very important day for us because following today we will see meaningful activity with retailers in terms of the generation of pre-orders, even if it's absent price."

so where are the pre-orders?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
There about zero reasons to go with digital one.

Physical games are cheaper than PSN pricing, but still lets you dip into PSN sales. Portion of the game will be installed from disc(s) so less to download to top installation off.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah there is no chance in hell that removing a $25 Blue Ray drive from the console is going to shave $100 off the price. Folks who think that are really unrealistic.
Nothing unrealistic about it because Sony takes a significant cut from each sale through the PlayStation Store. Getting more people to go full digital is great for them because of that. If the price difference is just $50 they shouldn't have bothered.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
$399/$499 or $499/$599.

I am certain it will be $100 difference.
I have a feeling of this as well. They are going to hugely incentivise going discless as a loss leader, plus by fragmenting the Skus in this way there is probably a psychological effect on peoples perception that they're getting a good deal, whereas with a single product there is no frame of reference for them to judge that, so this will increase sales in a way they otherwise wouldn't have done by pricing them closer together or by only having 1 SKU.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$399/$499 or $499/$599.

I am certain it will be $100 difference.

How do you think it will be a $100 difference when the Blue Ray drive itself can be purchased for about $60 and that is not factoring in that Sony are buying them in mass quantities so their price is probably 20-30% less than that. They're going to be $50 different from one another. Mark my words.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Does this mean only the discs will be backwards compatible, or will digital games be as well?

edit: sorry for asking. Forgot what side I was on.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
How do you think it will be a $100 difference when the Blue Ray drive itself can be purchased for about $60 and that is not factoring in that Sony are buying them in mass quantities so their price is probably 20-30% less than that. They're going to be $50 different from one another. Mark my words.

The component cost is not the whole story. It never is. It's about pricing and marketing and positioning product in the market. $100 is a better story.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
$50 price point I'll get the one with the optical drive. $100 though? Going to be some thinking on that one.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean only the discs will be backwards compatible, or will digital games be as well?
I don't know how you can reach that conclusion. The question of the interview refers to the PS5 with BR drive being able to read PS4 discs, nothing more.

Most PS4 games will be playable on PS5, period. It doesn't matter if it comes on disk or digital.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
$50 price point I'll get the one with the optical drive. $100 though? Going to be some thinking on that one.
i'll probably go with disc drive

its like ps3 where you just spend the extra cash.

and plus i actually have ps4 disc games that i bought because it was dirt cheap and i want to play it on ps5 (looking at Horizon)

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah there is no chance in hell that removing a $25 Blue Ray drive from the console is going to shave $100 off the price. Folks who think that are really unrealistic.

The thing here is not the disc drive.
It´s the payoff that they will get with digital purchases being available only on PSN, where they get more money.
Whether they will take a loss believing they will recoup the loss on hardware with digital content is another question.
But nobody here is thinking that the price might be US100 lower because of a disc drive.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
People are forgetting the headset, camera and remote. The presentation (and Cerny's focus on audio) inplies they were in the box, in which case it's likely to be $599

EDIT Seems it was just to show the line of accessories available, I stand corrected, thank you

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Same except for the disc drive means a $50 difference at most. And even that's high given tear downs usually place 4kUHD Bluray drives somewhere around $20 max, the digital model might be underproduced like the 20GB launch PS3.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Even if it's significantly cheaper, the digital-only console is better for Sony in the long term because it means that the consumer is locked in to purchasing exclusively through PSN. It makes sense that the components are the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an even steeper cut than $50.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
People are forgetting the headset, camera and remote. The presentation (and Cerny's focus on audio) inplies they were in the box, in which case it's likely to be $599
That's not implied at all, and that's not the case.

They show specifically what is the PS5 package, labeling it as such (with the Dualsense) and what are the PS5 family of accessories.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Same size SSD...

Wut
The digital only ps5 exists to sell at as low a price as possible given guaranteed better revenue going forward thanks to no used games/no game reselling/no borrowing games etc.

SSD is one of the most costly components in the system. It has a bay for future expansion. Increased SSD size would have equated to a more expensive unit and negated the reason for its existence.

On the contrary. It's the people not seeing past their nose in focussing solely on the cost of a BRD drive that do not understand the situation. A $50 difference in SKU costs would be utterly pointless.