• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
4d785087-34a8-47ef-8947-b3b92ab76b9f.png

Full article in the link:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/mass-shootings-what-changed-trnd/index.html

Fix your shit.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Gun laws are a joke. Our system for the mentally ill is a joke.

Too many Americans also love guns more than their kids/family/friends/neighbors to top it off. They know there will be a school shooting in the next week. They know another Las Vegas is around the corner. They just don't give a shit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Easily willing to let children die for the illusion of freedom and security. We're a trash country.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm going to guess that the ease of internet access is not helping either. It's easy for these mass murderers to look for information, training or solutions for their plans by just browsing websites. Although i guess internet has we know it has been there for almost 20 years, so maybe I'm speaking nonsense...

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the intense media coverage and spotlight they give the killers is at least contributing to the problem. This seems so obvious to me but here we are, no irony slapping them in the face.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
In America human lives are literally worth less than a handful of metal and plastic.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
In Florida, its easier to get an AW than a pistol. That's nuts!

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the intense media coverage and spotlight they give the killers is at least contributing to the problem. This seems so obvious to me but here we are, no irony slapping them in the face.

The diary of a would be killer (recently turned in by his grandma) would seem to confirm this.

At least some of the killers want the infamy.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
No, but how news outlets tie into social media has. Even if killers aren't watching TV this information is front and center in your face online. I feel alotmore people are getting their mews, fake or not, online now.
but the motivation is exactly the same in most cases, the urge to be remembered for something

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
We've still got two more years to get those last eleven and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we do. It is a messed up state of affairs.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
goddamnit goldeneye 64

Imagine if they kept the option for using the game boy camera to put faces on characters in perfect dark.

Nintendo felt they had no choice except to remove it. I remember a lot of games making changes. Too bad we didn't change things that would have actually helped.

On a side note I was butt hurt since I wanted my likeness to be included in the multiplayer chaos.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
The NRA has gotten more powerful, that terrorist organization needs to be made illegal.

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The ban was fine when it was implemented but we never followed up to respond to gun makers skirting laws. That and it didn't give the ATF enough power to regulate gun manufacturing.
The problem is they'd have to ban semi automatic weapons entirely which is not gonna happen as long as the 2nd Amendment is around.

They had to try and ban cosmetic features because that was all they could do. And for obvious reasons it's not enough. Guns don't work like that, cosmetics don't decide if the gun is still functional, merely how practical and easy it is to use.

When you make arbitrary laws people will circumvent it.

Edit:

And here's an even more hilarious example of a "pistol" (legally speaking).
58d3669b24f52b75d3a09a9c98c72c83.jpg

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Social media is way more in your face than either of those things. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.
that's not really proof though, just saying 'it's in your face'

newspapers were in people's faces

TV was in peoples faces

The drawings line is that of those seeking infamy

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So can we talk about the radicalization of young white men now?

Because I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Call of Duty started getting really big about 10 years ago. I dunno, maybe it played a part in desensitization and gun/violence glorification.

As a gamer, I don't like to admit that that's a possible cause. It could play a part, though.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Call of Duty started getting really big about 10 years ago. I dunno, maybe it played a part in desensitization and gun/violence glorification.

As a gamer, I don't like to admit that that's a possible cause. It could play a part, though.
that's kind of a random thought line

did Doom cause Columbine in that same reasoning?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's not really proof though, just saying 'it's in your face'

newspapers were in people's faces

TV was in peoples faces

The drawings line is that of those seeking infamy

So you're basically saying those seeking infamy are going to do so regardless? I'm curious as to what you think changed in the last 10 years to cause more mass shootings. You've basically sat here and swatted down people's theories. What are yours?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
So you're basically saying those seeking infamy are going to do so regardless? I'm curious as to what you think changed in the last 10 years to cause more mass shootings. You've basically sat here and swatted down people's theories. What are yours?
larger access to guns

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I blame 4chan and other online communities that worship school shooters.