• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
What's it going to take for some changes to be made? A bunch of politicians getting killed? Famous people? Clearly kids, teenagers, adults, being massacred is not enough.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll see Euro style gun regulation before I believe it.

Even if it's legally possible it's not possible politically.

If you ban handguns you start taking away defensive means of the common man. Handguns make up the vast majority of defensive gun purchases.
I'm not specifically talking about banning guns. That's not the only thing gun-control can be. The government, if it really wanted to could implement stronger background checks, place a limit on magazine types, extend the waiting period, etc.

If the government can add even a bit of resistance to the gun buying process, you could save a lot of lives, because then it goes from an impulse buy to a more thought out/involved decision.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

If you ban handguns you start taking away defensive means of the common man. Handguns make up the vast majority of defensive gun purchases.

Banning handguns as in Britain would be impossible, certainly. In an earlier post I enumerated some reasonable measures that would be constitutional. I think the term for your position is "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What's it going to take for some changes to be made? A bunch of politicians getting killed? Famous people? Clearly kids, teenagers, adults, being massacred is not enough.
No one needs to die. We need about ten people friendlier to gun control to get elected to the senate, and we need the house and the executive branch.

The assault rifle ban the senate put forwards in 2013 got something like 54 votes I think. It'll happen eventually, but it pains me that we have to wait until politics lines up just so, to see something that has the support of 80+ percent of Americans enacted.

Edit: My bad, I'm getting the legislation twisted. Expanding back ground checks got 54 or so votes. The assault rifle ban floated by Nancy Pelosi got around 40.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
AR15's are everywhere. Theyre the most produced rifle in the world currently outside of the AK. Theyre the most popular single rifle in the country. They show up in practically everything from military to police to sports to video games and movies. Theyre very popular so its hard to avoid them. They are also a rifle so like every other semi-auto rifle you only need to be 18 to purchase one. The "cool" factor may play a part, but its not like you cant do that with any other firearm. Hell the AR15 has wood accessories if you want it.

Targeting the Ar15 specifically doesnt make a whole lot of sense when AK's are just as available (same prices too) as are a host of other semi-auto rifles. If you go after one you might as well go after all semi autos. After that youd have to go after magazine limits since even shotguns now come in 24 shot varieties and can utilize boxed magazines for fast reloading. Of course thats assuming the gun nuts let anyone get that far.

America has always had guns. Its always had easy access to them. You could always walk into a gun store at the age of 18 and buy an AR. Nothing has changed as far as the killing power of them and the AR's look basically the same as they did 40 years ago. There used to be shooting clubs in schools (my dad was a member of one when he was 16). People would have a gun rack with a rifle in their truck while attending schools. This stuff never really happened prior to Columbine.
The legislation would, obviously, include a test to define whether or not a gun was legal. The previous assault rifle ban required two key characteristics. The one Pelosi put forwards in 2013 required one.

No ban is going to exclusively target the AR-15. But that, and anything equally or more suitable to killing a lot of people in short period of time, are what those of us who want to see the AR-15 banned want.

It's a bit dull always having to spell that out for people, but there you go.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Hey I'm not disputing the numbers, I'm just saying they don't matter. Feel free to disagree, that's your prerogative.

Let me ask you something, why do you think Norway didn't ban semi auto rifles after Breivik massacre? Because it was one incident, because while tragic as hell, these numbers were statistically irrelevant in the larger picture. Because they knew that the vast majority of people owning rifles didn't use them for homicide. That banning them wouldn't make sense because it would intrude on so many others.

If people actually wanted to support any kind of regulation it should be on handguns.
These are used in actual crime the vast majority of the time, like 95% of the time.

Where I live it's harder to legally own a pistol than it is to own a semi auto rifle. And for good reason. Handguns are concealable and much better suited for crime.

The problem isn't you disputing the numbers, it's you calling for sources then dismissing them when they are provided. You clearly didn't care about the sources in the first place, so why bother asking for them.

Also are you going to edify me on the 2nd amendment?

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
The ban was fine when it was implemented but we never followed up to respond to gun makers skirting laws. That and it didn't give the ATF enough power to regulate gun manufacturing. To see how fucked up gun makers are, this is a "pistol"

Century-RAS47.jpg

I loled, Jesus Christ, only in the US.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

You know why you think it's not possible and why nothing changes? Because of people like you.

Quit using the 2nd amendment as a shield, you look pathetic.

My theory is that social issues, and more specifically socioeconomic issues are to blame for this. But those will be hard to fix giving the fast track neoliberalism practiced in this country. So the most practical thing to do is to make guns as hard to get as possible. But I don't think this will happen because of politics and corruption. So this is basically going to keep happening. And I don't know when enough will be enough, especially after Sandy Hook.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if you noticed, but I'm in support of people to bear arms without government intervention.
No shit. And I don't know if you noticed, but you're part of the problem this country is currently afflicted with.

You selfishly prefer your own access to tools that only serve to kill over preventing the deaths of innocent people. Just be honest about it instead of hiding behind some piece of paper like a coward.

Starlight Glimmer

User banned for use of an alt account.
Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Social media, despite it being so open, it instead makes those at risk feel even more isolated.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fanatic is your right to bear arms worth the thousands of people that die in the United States every year from guns?

Not many people are asking for the 2nd amendment to be abolished, as much as there to be more regulation in the gun industry. Which has none. The CDC is not even allowed to study it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the recent shooter was reported over 30 times to the police and FBI, got kicked out of his own school for bringing bullets and stuff, and that "cops were called to Cruz's home almost every other week" tells me that maybe we should figure out ways we can take away guns from people who seem to be clearly mentally distributed and stuff before we talk about banning guns.
https://nypost.com/2018/02/16/deputies-called-to-suspected-shooters-home-39-times-over-seven-years/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ip-parkland-school-shooter-suspect/345571002/

One of the researchers at 538 also did a deep dive into gun deaths and her conclusions on what would work and what is just political theater was pretty interesting
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...3edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's because God isn't allowed in schools if you were to believe all my friends relinking scripture in Facebook repeatedly apparently.

It is amazing how people use tragedy to push their agenda and try to ignore the gun angle.

One of my mom's friends posted a quote image of a student saying "God, why don't you prevent violence in our schools", and God answers, "I'm not allowed in schools."

I wanted to puke.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
We live in a society so driven by mimetics and social media that kids are eating fucking TidePods. Millions of people watch a guy laugh and point at a suicide in Japan, and we wonder why the outputs of our society are so fucked?

I'd argue the causes are a downward spiral in mental health exacerbated by social media/societal conditioning AND easier access to firearms by simple operation of technological advance in the markets.

I'm not sure there is an easy solution.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I don't know if you noticed, but I'm in support of people to bear arms without government intervention.

Certainly you are. The problem appears when you try to claim that your position is the only one consistent with the Second Amendment. The Supreme Court has stated outright that restrictions on gun ownership may be imposed by the government. I've enumerated a few that are within the bounds explicitly named by them. Hell, the very existence of the mandatory background check demonstrates how far away you are from the reality of Second Amendment jurisprudence.

To those who are determined to go to the hell of unrestricted firearms ownership, I suggest they buy their own boat and start rowing.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
The federal assault weapon ban expired in 2004 and seems to be one contributing factor.

The fact that the VT shooter killed 33 people with handguns in 2007 just demonstrates that if the ar15 ceased to exist tommorrow (along with every other rifle once classified as an assault weapon under the AWB) a school shooter could kill just as many people without it.

People focusing on the type of weapon used I think are missing the point. Ive seen people here in the last several days go on rants and write essays about how no one needs this super-deadly rifle designed for the military to kill soldiers but in a school hallway or against people cowering in a corner of a classroom, in the hands of an untrained person, everything that makes the weapon suitable for the military is pretty much negated. At that point it can be any gun and be just as deadly.

Without looking up the profiles of all of these school shooters, I am going to make a guess that many of them were already known to be disturbed individuals to their friends, family, and even law enforcement in some cases. The most effective thing to keep guns out of their hands would be more effective background checks combined with a longer waiting period. Also prohibit large capacity magazines. Im not sure that will actually help, but at least it makes it harder.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Surely with a unified, Republican controlled government we should be seeing meaningful gun legislation any day now, right?

Right?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the VT shooter killed 33 people with handguns in 2007 just demonstrates that if the ar15 ceased to exist tommorrow (along with every other rifle once classified as an assault weapon under the AWB) a school shooter could kill just as many people without it.

People focusing on the type of weapon used I think are missing the point. Ive seen people here in the last several days go on rants and write essays about how no one needs this super-deadly rifle designed for the military to kill soldiers but in a school hallway or against people cowering in a corner of a classroom, in the hands of an untrained person, everything that makes the weapon suitable for the military is pretty much negated. At that point it can be any gun and be just as deadly.

Without looking up the profiles of all of these school shooters, I am going to make a guess that many of them were already known to be disturbed individuals to their friends, family, and even law enforcement in some cases. The most effective thing to keep guns out of their hands would be more effective background checks combined with a longer waiting period. Also prohibit large capacity magazines. Im not sure that will actually help, but at least it makes it harder.
"Could" != "would"

• If handguns were at least as effective as AR-15s, AR-15 wouldn't be so damn popular with mass shooters.
  • VT shooter might very well have killed more people if he had an AR-15, rendering your point moot
  • It very well might be the case that the easy access to "cool" guns like AR-15s contributes to increased gun culture, and perhaps even increases the likelihood of school shootings in general (maybe we'd have fewer mass shootings if guns were not considered cool because all you could buy were boring hunting rifles)
  • Pistols are often harder to buy (Cruz isn't old enough to buy one), letting the assault weapon ban expire lowered the bar by offering additional alternatives
It's not like we've gotten worse at doing background checks or waiting periods, so your proposed solution there doesn't even address the thread's question. Also, he had no criminal history and he bought the gun last year.

Your second proposal about large capacity magazines contradicts your earlier statements (the type of gun does make a difference) and supports my post (ban on high capacity magazines was part of the assault weapons ban)

And to be clear, I don't think the assault weapons ban solved all the problems with guns in america, hence me saying it "seems to be one contributing factor."

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
VT shooter might very well have killed more people if he had an AR-15, rendering your point moot

Just want to point out how disingenuous and offbase this hypothetical is to supposedly render his "point moot".

The VT shooter may have killed less if he had an AR-15. Who knows what would have happened if he had what weapons. You have to use facts. Not hypotheticals. You completely made up a possibility to argue his point that does not actually exist while also claiming victory and rendering his point moot. Doesn't work that way.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to point out how disingenuous and offbase this hypothetical is to supposedly render his "point moot".

The VT shooter may have killed less if he had an AR-15. Who knows what would have happened if he had what weapons. You have to use facts. Not hypotheticals. You completely made up a possibility to argue his point that does not actually exist while also claiming victory and rendering his point moot. Doesn't work that way.
Either you misunderstood or you're trolling. First off, you seem to confuse "might very well have" with "would have" because telling me he may have killed less with an AR-15 is redundant.

He suggested that if the AR-15 ceased to exist, school shooters could kill just as many people. That's also a hypothetical, by the way -- his point wasn't based on facts like you seem to suggest. I provided a valid counter-hypothetical to demonstrate that the VT shooter killing a lot of people with a pistol doesn't disprove the idea that making it harder to access AR-15s could reduce mass shooting deaths.

It's the same bullshit argument gun nuts use to talk about knives. In 2016 there was a mass stabbing in Japan that left 19 dead. Cruz only killed 17 with his AR-15. Does that mean knives are more deadly than AR-15s? No, that's stupid.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Surely with a unified, Republican controlled government we should be seeing meaningful gun legislation any day now, right?

Right?
Boggles the mind that he's actually trying to dunk on the Democrats here, while leaving the implication clearly hanging here that nothing is going to happen with a Republican controlled government either.

If the dude wanted to actually improve his polling numbers, here's a surefire way to do it. By all means, Repubs, show the Dems how it's done. For Once.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure what you mean? It looks like we're discussing things plenty.

If what you're asking is if I'm willing to concede my personal beliefs? No I'm not, you're right about that.

I really liked the parts where you talked around everyone and handwaved statistics.

Pretty much the definition of bad faith.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
"Could" != "would"

• If handguns were at least as effective as AR-15s, AR-15 wouldn't be so damn popular with mass shooters.
  • VT shooter might very well have killed more people if he had an AR-15, rendering your point moot
  • It very well might be the case that the easy access to "cool" guns like AR-15s contributes to increased gun culture, and perhaps even increases the likelihood of school shootings in general (maybe we'd have fewer mass shootings if guns were not considered cool because all you could buy were boring hunting rifles)
  • Pistols are often harder to buy (Cruz isn't old enough to buy one), letting the assault weapon ban expire lowered the bar by offering additional alternatives
It's not like we've gotten worse at doing background checks or waiting periods, so your proposed solution there doesn't even address the thread's question. Also, he had no criminal history and he bought the gun last year.

Your second proposal about large capacity magazines contradicts your earlier statements (the type of gun does make a difference) and supports my post (ban on high capacity magazines was part of the assault weapons ban)

And to be clear, I don't think the assault weapons ban solved all the problems with guns in america, hence me saying it "seems to be one contributing factor."

1. "It's not like we've gotten worse at doing background checks or waiting periods, so your proposed solution there doesn't even address the thread's question."
- well, our background checks are fucking garbage. the instacheck just goes through criminal records apparently. Buying a gun should require some sort of license, and some sort of investigation with your local law enforcement ought to be part of it.

2. Your second proposal about large capacity magazines contradicts your earlier statements (the type of gun does make a difference) and supports my post (ban on high capacity magazines was part of the assault weapons ban)
- large capacity magazines don't just exist for assault weapons. You can get a large capacity magazine for any gun provided it takes a magazine, and someone has made one. The large cap mag ban was the only part of the AWB that made sense. The rest of the AWB just defined Assault weapons as those having certain characteristics.

3. If handguns were at least as effective as AR-15s, AR-15 wouldn't be so damn popular with mass shooters.
- I somehow don't think mass shooters are conducting detailed research into which gun is more effective under certain circumstances.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Its a big ass feedback loop, not everything individually contributes directly to a shooting but one thing feeds into another amplifying one another.

-Easy access to weapons
-NRA strengthened politically
-Stress on the poor/working class as capitalism starts failing in the US and an actual middle class becomes more and more unsustainable, white families not used to economic hardships looking for scapegoats.
-Lack of accessible mental healthcare and treating mental health problems in males being stigmatized ("man up" attitudes)
-Increased access to news from an early age thanks to social media
-Radicalization of far right white Americans thanks to shitty predatory websites like Breitbart and how easy it is to spread that garbage through Facebook

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
People hold onto these amendments like the Bible or something. They all need to be updated with the times.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
2. Your second proposal about large capacity magazines contradicts your earlier statements (the type of gun does make a difference) and supports my post (ban on high capacity magazines was part of the assault weapons ban)
- large capacity magazines don't just exist for assault weapons. You can get a large capacity magazine for any gun provided it takes a magazine, and someone has made one. The large cap mag ban was the only part of the AWB that made sense. The rest of the AWB just defined Assault weapons as those having certain characteristics.
The assault weapon ban applied to all large capacity magazines, not just those that fit assault weapons.

The rest of the law made sense too, notwithstanding the loopholes, but gun nuts like to pretend ergonomic design features have no affect on functionality and misleadingly try to reduce gun lethality to things the kind of bullets it fires, as if soldiers wouldn't be disadvantaging themselves by bringing hunting rifles into close quarter combat situations. Stuff like pistol grips, foldable stocks, and detachable magazines aren't merely cosmetic differences -- each offer functional advantages when you're trying to kill other humans.

Last edited:

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Issues America continues to fuck up:
1. Gun control
2. Tackling climate change
3. Universal healthcare for her people
4. Inequality between rich and poor
5. A non-functioning partisan political system.
6. Pissing contest with North Korea

Rest assured, their mess will spread around the world.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fanatic is your right to bear arms worth the thousands of people that die in the United States every year from guns?

Not many people are asking for the 2nd amendment to be abolished, as much as there to be more regulation in the gun industry. Which has none. The CDC is not even allowed to study it.
They're saying exactly that their hobby is worth the lives of thousands of people every year. That's what every gun owner is saying who doesnt support any further regulation.