• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people sure are stupid.

"There is no question that Corona beer is suffering because of the coronavirus," Ronn Torossian, founder of 5WPR, said in a statement.

There is no known connection between the beer and the virus — except for the name.

But Torossian explained how important the name was to the product's branding.

"Could one imagine walking into a bar and saying, 'Hey, can I have a Corona?' or 'Pass me a Corona,'" he said.

In fact, 14 percent of respondents who said they regularly consume Corona beer admitted in the survey they would not order the beverage in public.

nypost.com

Americans are avoiding Corona beer amid coronavirus outbreak, survey finds

Some American beer drinkers are avoiding Corona, the beer, amid the deadly coronavirus outbreak, according to a new survey. A surprising 38 percent of beer drinkers insisted that they would not, un…

New York (CNN Business)Corona beer isn't making any changes to its advertising despite the name's unfortunate similarity to the deadly coronavirus.
Constellation Brands (STZ), which brews several variations of the popular lager, said in a statement that its customers "understand there is no link between the virus and our business."
"Sales of Corona remain very strong and we appreciate the continued support from our fans," Constellation Brands spokesperson Stephanie McGuane told CNN Business. "Our advertising with Corona is consistent with the campaign we have been running for the last 30 years and is based off strong consumer sentiment."
The spread of the coronavirus couldn't have come at a worse time for Constellation, which is spending $40 million to launch its new Corona-branded hard seltzer. Part of the promotion includes a sponsored tweet that has sparked criticism for using the phrase "coming ashore soon."

Two surveys released this week show that the Corona's brand is suffering from negative buzz.
5W Public Relations said that 38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona "under any circumstances" because of the outbreak, and another 14% said they wouldn't order a Corona in public. The survey encompasses polling from 737 beer drinkers in the United States.

In another survey conducted by YouGov, the firm found consumers' intent to purchase Corona fell to its lowest level in two years. The survey also showed that Corona's buzz score, a metric that that measures favorability, has dropped significantly since the beginning of the year.
Online searches for "corona beer virus" spiked in early February, but have since declined.
edition.cnn.com

The spread of the coronavirus couldn't have come at a worse time for Corona beer

Corona beer isn't making any changes to its advertising despite the name's unfortunate similarity to the deadly coronavirus.

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
OP you missed out the bit about 16% thinking the virus is related to the beer

Also great ad placement Corona

m8UvWrw.jpg

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I am sure most of them don't think drinking it leads to the virus, it's just a lack of desire with the heavy subject I would guess.

I was wondering how this would affect the brand.

Edit:
OP you missed out the bit about 16% thinking the virus is related to the beer

Yeah there are the Trump voters.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Corona should ride this somehow. It can't get worse for them. Marketing like "The only Corona your body wants" or stuff like that.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha

I shouldn't be surprised by this, I really shouldn't, but for some reason I am. And it's much funnier that way.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I wouldn't buy Corona because it's fucking awful, but yeah this is dumb. I have to wonder if people are purposely answering polls like this in the most idiotic manner.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I generally think of Corona as a summer or warm weather beer and it's February. I'll appreciate the potential lower prices in a few months though!

Article in question

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you put a lime wedge on it you'll apparently get Lyme disease as well.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This is so predictable I'm not even mad. I can assure you you'll find a similar percentage outside the US though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a conspiracy theory early on about how alcohol consumption could stop the virus and a bunch of memes about this connection? I didn't expect anyone would actually take it seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.