• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

(CNN)Nine Democratic presidential candidates have accepted the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's invitation to participate in a CNN town hall next month focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer issues. HRC is billing the October 10 town hall in Los Angeles, "Power of our Pride," and it coincides with the 31st anniversary of National Coming Out Day on October 11. It will air live on CNN from 7 p.m. ET to 11:30 p.m. ET. HRC says it will be the largest audience for a Democratic presidential town hall devoted to LGBTQ issues.
Two candidates will appear back-to-back each hour throughout the evening and take questions from the audience and a CNN moderator. In addition to announcing the participants, CNN also named the moderators for the event and the approximate times each candidate will appear on stage. All times below are in Eastern.
  • Businessman Tom Steyer will be interviewed by CNN's Dana Bash at 7 p.m.
  • New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker will be interviewed by Bash at 7:30 p.m.
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden will be interviewed by CNN's Anderson Cooper at 8 p.m.
  • California Sen. Kamala Harris, will be interviewed by Cooper at 8:30 p.m.
  • Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren will be interviewed by CNN's Chris Cuomo at 9 p.m.
  • South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg will be interviewed by Cuomo at 9:30 p.m.
  • Former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke will be interviewed by CNN's Don Lemon at 10 p.m.
  • Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar will be interviewed by Lemon at 10:30 p.m.
  • Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro will be interviewed by Cooper at 11 p.m.
Citing scheduling conflicts, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and businessman Andrew Yang each declined HRC's invitation to participate in the event. Additional invitations will be extended to candidates who meet the DNC qualifications before September 25.

Invitations to participate in the LGBTQ-focused town hall have been extended to Democratic presidential hopefuls who meet the DNC's qualifications for the October 2019 primary debates. Candidates must reach 2% in at least four national polls identified by the DNC to determine eligibility. The polls for this town hall must be released between June 28, 2019 and September 25, 2019.
In addition, candidates must also meet the donor threshold outlined by the DNC for the October debate, in which they must have 130,000 unique donors, including 400 donors each from at least 20 states.

Didn't see a thread on this so felt I should make it.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
this was announced months ago but im pretty happy to see that its actually happening. I expect many to mess up data about trans people (as old people do).

Really interested to see which candidate talks the most (if anything) about nonbinary people.

Also nothing will crush my soul as Bernie missing this town hall, i hope that he changes his mind.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Citing scheduling conflicts, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and businessman Andrew Yang each declined HRC's invitation to participate in the event

So they are the ONLY two that are not attending?

Wow. That's disappointing.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure I remember Bernie being a huge supporter of LGBTQ rights unless I'm mistaken, his record serving supports that.

I don't think it should hurt him not being there

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie definitely should be attending this rather than another Climate town hall after he participated in CNN's

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for when they do one for African Americans and their discrimination.
they won't

edit: I understand how it comes of, but there are black people within the lgbt constantly targeted and forgotten as a result of their race and the issue of race needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Cant wait for Biden to call us fairies and reminisce about playing smear the queer.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MSNBC scheduling a second climate town hall weeks after the CNN one is inanity. If you're going to do a second one, do it way down the line when we're winnowed more. It's like the direct-to-dvd ripoff version as is.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
MSNBC scheduling a second climate town hall weeks after the CNN one is inanity. If you're going to do a second one, do it way down the line when we're winnowed more. It's like the direct-to-dvd ripoff version as is.
Yeah MSNBC should have had another topic instead of just rehashing CNN's townhall

Housing
Foreign Policy
Guns/Public Safety
Immigration

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie needs to reschedule, what the heck. This is far more important than the climate change debate considering he just did the town hall.

How in the world does he think it's fine to miss this and let both Biden and Warren talk directly to a very large, politically active group? This is disappointing on multiple levels.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they won't

There are LGBT people within the African American community. While politicians and candidates could always do a better job at addressing the issues facing both communities, we aren't in competition with each other and this will hopefully show us where they're looking at these problems from.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked on the this wondering if Yang was going to show up, and nope. Not a shock, don't want to anger his base

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I believe that Bernie's record speaks for itself on these issues (and most other issues), but he should still be there.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are LGBT people within the African American community. While politicians and candidates could always do a better job at addressing the issues facing both communities, we aren't in competition with each other and this will hopefully show us where they're looking at these problems from.

A lot of folk from either side think one is more important than the other, it's pathetic. Both communities are given dirt, you're right that it's not a competition.

Oct 27, 2017
I know we aren't in competition but they're constantly targeted and forgotten as a result of their race.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Glad CNN's doing these deep dive town hall forums with the candidates. It's a much better way to get at the issues than debates are. A shame the general populace likely isn't all that plugged in to these kinds of events. The only reason they're getting air time at this point is probably because of how early on it is.

they won't
I get where you're coming from, but your first post in a topic about an LGBTQ town hall being about the (almost assured) lack of a black one ain't a good look.

And I know what you're intending, but responding to "bet they aren't gonna do one for issues facing black folks" with "it's not a competition" instead of "I hope they do, it's fucked if they don't" is also not a good look.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I know what you're intending, but responding to "bet they aren't gonna do one for issues facing black folks" with "it's not a competition" instead of "I hope they do, it's fucked if they don't" is also not a good look.

Okay? The point I'm making is that issues that affect both communities are going to be addressed here at this town hall meeting, and Last Wizard was explicitly framing this as a competition. They can do both and they should, but there's no reason to be crapping on one or the other as if just the announcement or details of a LGBT town hall is somehow a bad thing.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Okay? The point I'm making is that issues that affect both communities are going to be addressed here at this town hall meeting
They aren't though. The issues that affect black America are not the same issues that affect LGBTQ America (and black LGBTQ America has issues unique to them and distinct from the others in addition to the issues that effect both other groups). Which isn't to say they should be having one over the other or before the other, but that "there are LGBTQ black folks, it's not a competition" doesn't actually address what they're saying and feels kinda dismissive, ya know?

Which I'm sure you get because someone popping into the announcement of an LGBTQ focused townhall to bet they aren't having one for black folks probably feels dismissive as hell.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
they won't
There's been 1 focused on women of color issues and 1 on AA economic issues.

She the People hosted one back in April regarding issues affecting women of color and the Black Economic Alliance hosted one in June regarding how to expand economic opportunities to black Americans.

There's also two racial justice forums coming up in oct, one seems to be focusing on immigrant issues though while the other one seems to be criminal justice reform.

It's disappointing though that there isn't more of them scheduled, especially one broadcasted live on cnn or msnbc during prime time, considering how vital black Americans are to the Democratic Party.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too familiar with the CNN people outside of Anderson Cooper. Are the moderators who are not Cooper and Lemon also part of the LGBT community?

If they aren't, I kind of would have liked Buttigieg to be assigned someone who was also LGBT for some kind of "shared experience"/sharing moment. But I'm probably more looking for an interview and should probably look to see if Cooper or Lemon have ever interviewed Buttigieg on their own.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't though. The issues that affect black America are not the same issues that affect LGBTQ America (and black LGBTQ America has issues unique to them and distinct from the others in addition to the issues that effect both other groups). Which isn't to say they should be having one over the other or before the other, but that "there are LGBTQ black folks, it's not a competition" doesn't actually address what they're saying and feels kinda dismissive, ya know?

Which I'm sure you get because someone popping into the announcement of an LGBTQ focused townhall to bet they aren't having one for black folks probably feels dismissive as hell.

It feels dismissive as it feels as though it was ignoring intersectionality and how it can matter in these circumstances, as well as ignoring the overlap in issues that can occur between the groups in general. The issues that specifically affect straight cis black Americans and LGBT Americans are going to be different, and the issues that affect LGB Americans and T Americans are also going to be different, but that does not mean that they don't face a lot of the same issues when it comes to discrimination throughout workplaces, housing, and police brutality. Some groups face those issues at different levels, and some people who are in multiple groups will face the effects of discrimination of both groups. The issues that we all face don't have to be 1:1 for it to be possible to see how politicians and candidates are going to tackle that discrimination and hate that's pouring through our society right now, and to be happy to see those issues addressed by politicians at all after years of escalation.

There are routinely arguments that go around that ignore black LGBT people, especially black transwomen, from both white people and other black people, and it frustrates me to see that when there's an actual opportunity to hear what politicians actually know about these issues. As if addressing one specific set of issues that people face is somehow in conflict with other issues. It's fine to be skeptical of politicians as they're pretty great at letting down minority groups here, but the idea behind this town hall is not the issue. There's no reason to fight for screen time when both are good for us.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh shit there's a thread where I find myself agreeing with Kirblar and jack_package. WTF is happening.

Seriously though they should not do another Climate one so close to the last one, and fuck Steyer.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he listened to criticism and has made it a priority to be there, his willingness to correct things when he fucks up demonstrates some leaderships skills

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I wonder if this is heart attack-related? It's asking a lot to be on stage like this shortly after such an event, IMO.

Side-note: I'm in even if it's just for Castro bashing Biden.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I have to imagine that him dropping it is related to the heart episode. It's too soon to be undergoing the stress of a live debate.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad bernie is missing another one.

He really couldn't win with some people though. If he was going, they'd be saying "What is he doing? Shouldn't he be resting and dropping out for his health's sake?" and now that he's chosen to prioritize his recovery until the dem debate, it's going to be spun as him being anti-LGBTQ

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Too bad bernie is missing another one.

He really couldn't win with some people though. If he was going, they'd be saying "What is he doing? Shouldn't he be resting and dropping out for his health's sake?" and now that he's chosen to prioritize his recovery until the dem debate, it's going to be spun as him being anti-LGBTQ

I don't think it's going to be spun as being anti-LGBTQ, but I agree that a lot of people are going to bash him no matter what.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have to imagine that him dropping it is related to the heart episode. It's too soon to be undergoing the stress of a live debate.

I wonder if this is heart attack-related? It's asking a lot to be on stage like this shortly after such an event, IMO.

Side-note: I'm in even if it's just for Castro bashing Biden.
Look at the date of the OP

Edit: nvm lol didnt realize he said yes then dropped