• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
"Dont you know warren, females obviously cant win the presidency!"

*canvasses to 39 events across the country to support the woman who(almost) won the presidency if not for electoral college*

Okay guys.

Even i who think Clinton as a terrible candidate and the worst representation for women on the dem side could have beaten trump if she had done a few things better. Theres no way sanders ever said such a thing as it is claimed.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
what degree of irony do I need to level up to in order to believe that Sanders both:

1) famously encouraged Warren to run in 2016 against Clinton as a rebuke to her blatant deck-stacking in the primaries

and

2) discouraged Warren (apparently to the point of mockery or insult) from running in 2020 because he changed his mind and decided that women can't be president
It's just absurdly illogical to get from 1 to 2.. not to mention Sanders' comments from the 80s about women running for president.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fair game, considering it started as a fabricated story using anonymous sources. If CNN can make up a story, a regular staffer can debunk the same story. I don't know why CNN would get more credibility in this story compared to a bernie supporter.
Ah, we're back to "ITS A SMEEEAAAARRRR" against any negative story I see. It's not a "fabricated" story if he actually said it, or it was a telephone game version of a milder comment. The idea that "lying and making up stuff is ok, because obviously everyone else is doing it" is complete and total projection.

CNN gets more credibility than Shaun King because Shaun King is a grifter who's made shit up before and as a bonus, went full-on anti-semitic yesterday. It's not because he's a "Bernie Supporter", it's because he's completely untrustworthy and plays this nonexistent "anonymous source" game all the time.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The most "likely" reality is;

Sanders and Warren were having a discussion on running in 2020, the topic of Warren's gender and the difficulty of being a women and running for office came up and Sanders worded it in a way that dug at Warren or insulted her, or at worst was dismissive of her chances while still respecting she is "fit" for office.

It's why Warren told staffers about it right after it happened because it got to her and she was annoyed that he would present it that way, and now that she's down in the polls she fed it to some people to write about in the media because it was actually a thing she was miffed on.

Yeah, it's likely what happened. I do see Bernie being blunt about that and thinking he would be the "safest" choice for the left in 2020. And Warren really didn't appreciate that.

He very likely didn't say "a woman can't win" because that's clearly also what he doesn't believe , but he also very likely tried to argue to Warren that her gender was going to make it more difficult.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
just making the point that you were the closest thing political threads on here had to an unironic Biden supporter and you don't even support him
Hmm. That is pretty fair, you're right I guess, lol.

The most likely reality is that one of the Hillary staffers now working for her ran this plan by her as a plausibly deniable way to "upset" Sanders for the debate and to plant in the mind of the public that Sanders is Supreme Misogyny Chairman of vermont.
Hillary strikes again! Lol.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty weak-ass response and still directly contradicts Sanders's rejection. The accusation is still the same, she just wants it out there while she gets to wash her hands of it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is an appropriate attack regardless of what he said. It's a full on low blow that signals desperation and anger. This isn't them winning on a positive campaign, it isn't even doing a fair critique on Bernie's policies, it's a gutter attack meant only to hurt Bernie's campaign. This also opens him up for trouble in the general should he win the primary. It's a dirty move imo.
And if he did actually say it? I'm going to vote for him in NY when the time comes, but this is the kinda thing I want to know about beforehand. It's easy to say the right thing in public. It's what you say when no one's looking that matters.

Do I think it got garbled in the telling? Yeah, it probably did. Do I know Bernie's said some not great stuff over the years? Yeah, he definitely has. No one's perfect. Politicians especially. They all suck, it's just a matter of how much and what you can live with to advance your goals.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
First off we dont know the gender of any source so its weird to draw lines if gender here when warren herself still hasnt aaid anything regarding this.

Second, accusing her campaign of being cowardly and manipulation isnt saying she herself is either of those things (although both would be fair given she has yet to comment on the matter and has had ample time to do so).

If we want to talk about a history of supporting bad people we should probably also mention warren was a republican twenty years ago.

You dont need to tell us what it sounds like because this was a weak attempt on your part to try and act like the discourse here was sexist in nature and as such would have been properly called as such had you actually made that argument.

I think people are definitely too ready to go to bat for Bernie, and the gender of the sources isn't so much my concern so much as how people are characterizing Warren. You act like this is clear cut, but the fact that Bernie is a man and Warren is a woman is definitely at play here because the issue is about sexism to begin with. And you can't claim that no one is saying that people aren't making statements on Warren herself's character when this page has people arguing she's taking advice from Hillary's playbook, amidst a litany of other accusations.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Warren is very deliberately leaving the exact wording of whatever Bernie is claimed to say in people's imaginations for her own political benefit, which of course every liberal here will continue to be happy to do.

Once again, think of the interested parties that benefit from conflict between Warren and Sanders here, and think if you really want to be helping them. That's all there really is to say. The timing of this is everything.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i simply don't believe that sanders straight up said he didn't think a woman could win

i would absolutely believe that he would say she'd have an uphill battle and that there would be loads of weaponized misogyny in the race

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's a good response from Warren. Looks like I was wrong about feeling the debate was the best place to discuss it.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
elizabeth Warren responds. Thoughts?

I really don't buy that he said this and I think the fact that she's doubling down when the truth is probably more along the lines of "it's going to be hard for a woman to win given the sexism in politics" is pretty lame. Bernie literally asked for her to run in 2016, he campaigned for Clinton hard in 2016, it's just patently untrue that he thought a woman couldn't be president by his own words and actions.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It really doesn't tell us anything outside of the context of the actual conversation. But I don't think anybody will change their mind about Bernie over this.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone: "I don't believe it but I'll wait for Warren to reply"

After Warren says it's what he said

"Ok I still don't believe it because it's not what Sanders said!"

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm more inclined to believe what a woman said about sexist comments than a man. Call me foolish for that if you want, but she said it happened, he didn't. That's the end of that.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have plenty of audio visual evidence of Bernie defending the possibilities of a woman winning the presidency. This is ultimately a me vs you. Bernie has the evidence to back up this is not a position he has held ever. Warren only has her word and her current position at polls.

People aren't dumb and will see through this. Her team fucked up.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well im glad she doesn't want to talk about it, but several people, probably working for her campaign did. Do we just ignore this? move on? Seems unlikely

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
There's barely any context given about the conversation and now Warren doesn't want to talk about it anymore. She just wants to move on and let people fall something for clearly unsubstantiated for political benefit, especially when there is so much that proves the contrary
Maybe Warren's moved on from that moment and someone leaking that opened it up again and aired it out for all to see when she'd rather be focusing on more pressing matters.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'd be nice to have some context to what was said. Its shitty he said a woman couldn't win, idk why he would say that to her after begging her to run for 16 unless he felt Hilary was evidence it couldn't happen and if thats the case thats fucking stupid as fuck.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
elizabeth Warren responds. Thoughts?

...So we're just not getting any context for what exactly he actually said....oh boy.

My guess is staffers desperately threw that out there so the media could eat it up and of course Warren isnt going to elaborate further on private conversations....

People are just going to move to their corners without any further info. Sounds like a slow news day to me

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
You have plenty of audio visual evidence of Bernie defending the possibilities of a woman winning the presidency. This is ultimately a me vs you. Bernie has the evidence to back up this is not a position he has held ever. Warren only has her word and her current position at polls.

People aren't dumb and will see through this. Her team fucked up.

Him saying something on television is not in any way evidence of what he might say in private.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice to have some context to what was said. Its shitty he said a woman couldn't win, idk why he would say that to her after begging her to run for 16 unless he felt Hilary was evidence it couldn't happen and if thats the case thats fucking stupid as fuck.
Like I said in the other thread... I've met so many 'liberals' who legitimately think that "we need a white man to beat trump in 2020, sorry there are too many racists to take the risk."

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really don't buy that he said this and I think the fact that she's doubling down when the truth is probably more along the lines of "it's going to be hard for a woman to win given the sexism in politics" is pretty lame. Bernie literally asked for her to run in 2016, he campaigned for Clinton hard in 2016, it's just patently untrue that he thought a woman couldn't be president by his own words and actions.

What does campaigning for someone and asking another to run (before Trump won) have to do with a post-Trump election bit of punditry? So you'd rather believe that Warren is a cynical liar? Costs her nothing to just be like "not true." Costs Bernie a lot to be like, "yeah, I said it."

Status
Not open for further replies.