• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie did say this because he's out of touch with reality. I still think Warren is the best candidate and really hope she ends up getting the nomination. I don't want Bernie to get the nomination because if he does than the democrats are setting themselves up for failure.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it would take until tomorrow. Didn't expect her to double down on to say Bernie was lying. It's pretty obvious this was the plan starting with the volunteer script leak.

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders is the same guy who called black voters "low information" aka dumb and condescendingly wagged his finger at Hilary at debates. Why should he get the benefit of the doubt over Warren in this situation?

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think at this point I'd like the conversation to not be private. May as well just go into gory detail now.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Women really like to be told what they can't do. especially liberal women.

If Warren isn't slamming the gas pedal on this, does it have to mean something sinister on Bernie's end? My takeaway is Bernie thought a woman would lose in the general election against Trump, which speaks less to a woman's skill and more the voters. If Warren really wanted to she could have gone in on him but she didn't.

It would be a shitty thing of him to say but I'm really not sure where this is going for either of them.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is everyone asking for context?

What context do you need for "if a women was nominated she wouldn't win because she's a women"

rofl

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
watch when they dont clash directly at the next debate and people lose their minds

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if he did actually say it? I'm going to vote for him in NY when the time comes, but this is the kinda thing I want to know about beforehand. It's easy to say the right thing in public. It's what you say when no one's looking that matters.

Do I think it got garbled in the telling? Yeah, it probably did. Do I know Bernie's said some not great stuff over the years? Yeah, he definitely has. No one's perfect. Politicians especially. They all suck, it's just a matter of how much and what you can live with to advance your goals.
It's pointless to speculate my feelings on it without knowing the content and context of what he said. What he's said in the past in relation to women running for president and the fact that he tried to get Warren to run in 2016 makes me think that what he actually said wasn't rooted in sexism. But we'll see I suppose.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders will be asked again, and will deny (probably more aggressively) again. Warren refusing to back down from the central claim will continue to be an elephant in the room. She had a chance to make it clear whether or not she was standing by the essential thrust of the story, and she fumbled that chance badly.

I would be baffled if she hadn't been displaying awful political instincts for the entire campaign so far.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like I said in the other thread... I've met so many 'liberals' who legitimately think that "we need a white man to beat trump in 2020, sorry there are too many racists to take the risk."
Not buying this head cannon regarding someone who pushed for warren to run just last election (and only entered the race after she didn't)

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Sanders will be asked again, and will deny (probably more aggressively) again. Warren refusing to back down from the central claim will continue to be an elephant in the room.

I don't see this really playing out in her favor.

It looks exceedingly desperate given how cordial they've been toward each other so far. This is Warren's last chance to make an impact, because if she loses Iowa and NH, then that's basically a wrap on her campaign.

Also:

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Sanders will be asked again, and will deny (probably more aggressively) again. Warren refusing to back down from the central claim will continue to be an elephant in the room. She had a chance to make it clear whether or not she was standing by the essential thrust of the story, and she fumbled that chance badly.

I don't see this really playing out in her favor.
If he denies it, he's calling her a liar.
If he admits it, he's going to reinforce a lot of negative opinions on him.

There is no good play for him here, and he is not going to come out the winner in this.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sanders is the same guy who called black voters "low information" aka dumb and condescendingly wagged his finger at Hilary at debates. Why should he get the benefit of the doubt over Warren in this situation?

'condescendingly wagged his finger' = "we've had enough of your emails", and "you took goldman sachs money"?

And there are plenty of low information voters out there who dont know anything about the candidates record. Its not racist to say such a thing about people in the south whether they are republican or democrat.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Why is everyone asking for context?

What context do you need for "if a women was nominated she wouldn't win because she's a women"

rofl

This is exactly the type of bullshit that intentionally leaving out the details lets useful idiots fill in their anti-Bernie imaginations on him being any type of bigot people have already concocted him to be.

We know Bernie tried to get Warren to run for President in '16. We know he's advocated a woman running for President publicly going back decades. He campaigned harder than Hillary did for her own campaign and she won the most votes. Warren and Sanders have been friends for years. This incident itself is alleged to have happened in a private dinner with Warren herself which is a hilariously bizarre place for Bernie to suddenly turn into Archie Bunker.

If you buy into this you're buying into some pissed off staffer leaking sensationalist garbage to corporate media who are drooling at the chance to have these two take themselves down in favor of someone more palatable to corporate interests. Seriously, everyone here should be smarter than this.

Oct 25, 2017
Not buying this head cannon regarding someone who pushed for warren to run just last election (and only entered the race after she didn't)
It doesn't make sense that he'd want to split off educated women voters from Clinton before consolidating them in 2016, but doesn't have that same issue this go around? And the timeline is well different.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
...So we're just not getting any context for what exactly he actually said....oh boy.

My guess is staffers desperately threw that out there so the media could eat it up and of course Warren isnt going to elaborate further on private conversations....

People are just going to move to their corners without any further info. Sounds like a slow news day to me
Yeah, I'm guessing someone that worked for her was trying to start shit, remembered they heard Warren say something years ago and leaked it, even though Warren likely said, "This is just between us, don't' tell this to anybody else.". If I was Warren, I'd be pissed. It's like, "Goddammit, why'd y'all have to do that, now? You know how the people are going to react to this?! I bet you they are going to start taking sides and try to eat each other alive like if they were trapped in that grocery store from The Mist!"

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
elizabeth Warren responds. Thoughts?

Cool. So exactly like I thought it happened yet people want to post Bernie visiting a 3rd grade class in 1987.

Stan culture is the death of nuance. You can support an imperfect candidate everyone. No need to bend over backwards to defend every misstep. Bernie had a nihilistic take. The world will continue to turn.

Scudo

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Sanders has given me plenty of reasons to trust him and Warren has given us some major reasons not take her at face value. Dead campaign walking.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Liz, if you're going to force one of the two of you to be a liar, then I gotta go with Sanders being honest.

Oct 27, 2017
To the people claiming Warren's story is "wishy-washy" can y'all read, or.....?

She directly says the story is true in the sentence:
"I thought a woman could win; he disagreed."

If anything, she went OUT OF HER WAY to bury her confirmation of the story within a paragraph of text, and immediately follow it with, "can we just move on?"

She seems like she doesn't like the fact that this leaked, and was stuck in a really awkward position of lying to the public (which hurts her campaign), or hurting a friendship she fostered over the years (which could also hurt her campaign).

Anyone who thinks this leak came DIRECTLY from Warren is missing a few screws. This only hurts her and Bernie, with this depiction of infighting. This was likely leaked by a bitter Warren staffer, who doesn't like that Sanders is beating her in the polls. That staffer is an idiot, as this move only hurts them both.

Warren's response seems actively irritated that this story leaked out.
Yup

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't buy that he said this and I think the fact that she's doubling down when the truth is probably more along the lines of "it's going to be hard for a woman to win given the sexism in politics" is pretty lame. Bernie literally asked for her to run in 2016, he campaigned for Clinton hard in 2016, it's just patently untrue that he thought a woman couldn't be president by his own words and actions.

I mean, Bernie is a man who doesn't stop fighting for something just because he believe it's impossible in the short term.
That's, i think, a major point of why so many of us really admire him.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Even then not really because hilary got 2 million + more votes.
I mean, that's part of the liberal bedwetting... that only a white man can win the electoral college from Trump, because of rural states.

One thing that's been obvious to me in observing Bernie is that for him, social justice is a byproduct of economic justice. He has a real blind spot for saying that fixing the economy will lead to everything else getting better, and eventually fixed. Sure, he has plans, etc, but when you really hear him speak off the cuff, you get that sense. So it doesn't surprise me that he would put a pundit hat on, and say something insensitive like this off the cuff.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
If he denies it, he's calling her a liar.
If he admits it, he's going to reinforce a lot of negative opinions on him.

There is no good play for him here, and he is not going to come out the winner in this.
I don't think it's going to work.

He already denied it long before she contradicted him.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Please tell me in what context it's OK for Bernie to say that to a Female Presidential Candidate's face?
I think you can absolutely have a conversation about a shitty American mindset against women, that maybe broadly sexism is so ingrained someone could think we aren't there yet and lament that fact. However, I don't want to think based on nothing that Warren is going to deliberately hide that context.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also, if you don't think CNN won't ask about this exact issue, REPEATEDLY. And RE-VISIT IT IN THE FUTURE, you're out of your goddammn mind.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The likely scenario is that the story about the volunteer script pissed off some Warren staffers and they went rogue.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, Bernie is a man who doesn't stop fighting for something just because he believe it's impossible in the short term.
That's, i think, a major point of why so many of us really admire him.

He's a Democrat when it's politically convenient.

that does not give me a positive opinion of his steadfastness in the face of personal challenge

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Great, so she didn't explain any of the context and effectively doubled down. Now we get to have fun with He said She said bullshit. Thanks Warren. Thanks for trying to derail the left with your campaign's last gasp smear tactic. I've lost a lot of respect for her today.
You could just believe her, you know.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Him saying something on television is not in any way evidence of what he might say in private.

Right, but it goes against the idea and character most people have of Bernie. As I said, Warren has made this into a "either you believe me or you believe him" thing. And people will draw a line on that. Either Sanders is a sexist liar or Warren is a manipulating liar.

Anyway, just prepare to vote for Joe Biden in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.