• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't know how this affects Bernie but this definitely sinks Warren's chances. Even if she gets the nom, she will have alienated the left and Trump will definitely use the attack on Bernie against her to further drive away the working class who was pro-Bernie.
Nobody but the hard corest always online progressives will remember this even happened by the weekend, and they are like not any significant total of voters, if they even vote at all.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Believe women.

What you want to do with that information is up to you. I don't think it disqualifies Sanders. All of you getting heated and blaming Warren for this are looking real bad.

yeah im thinking the person who first said 'believe women' meant to insinuate that women politicians are above the capacity to misrepresent things

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
If the staffers thought this would help Warren (or Dems in the general), from a cursory view in a discord, it's made many people Bernie or Bust now.

Oct 25, 2017
A woman had a secret personal slight, you find out but she tells you to drop the issue. do you:

A) Tell her she's liar and ask for proof
B) Tell her you know better and keep digging

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I? She didn't even try to contextualize the comment and she's in a position where she could benefit from lying or misleading about it all together. If she weren't losing a political race against this guy I'd be more apt to believe it, but as it stands now it looks like a purposeful smear.

I'm still of the mind that he could have said something like that in an appropriate context of the conversation, but we got no clarity at all and she's insinuation that he straight up doesn't believe a woman can beat Trump. So... nah.
Dude stop! Bernie has a LOOOONG of putting his foot in his mouth even when he has the best of intentions. The fact that you're attacking Warren over this is fucking shameful. If Biden has said this you would slamming him left right and center.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
It's extremely possible (and probably likely) that Warren both heard Bernie say he didn't think a women could beat Trump in 2020, and Bernie didn't actually say that.

Bernie probably expressed concerns about what a woman would face, Warren took that to mean a woman couldn't win, though he didn't mean to imply that.

I highly doubt either is lying.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the staffers thought this would help Warren (or Dems in the general), from a cursory view in a discord, it's made many people Bernie or Bust now.
Spoiler: They were always Bernie or Bust. Anything they claim makes them that way is pretext for something they already wanted to do anyway.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Context"

She said it happened.

First you ask for a statement, and then when she plainly says, "Yes, he said that, but I want to move on." You demand more context that may hopefully absolve your candidate of choice.

It's just a 'he said-she said' atm, and thats fine if that's the end of that. No need to make up some excuse, that Warren's response is somehow invalid.

It's because she's implying he's a sexist. How is that not implying exactly that? If she doesn't want to imply that, then she needs to elaborate on the exact phrasing used in that conversation. Because this "I'd rather not talk about it" shit is not helping ANYONE move past these questions still remaining.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how this has a chance of sticking a candidate with the sexist label while Biden stumbles into the white house like mr bean

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Just because Bernie wanted Hilary to beat trump and wanted Warren to run doesn't mean he's always thought they had a solid chance of winning. Wanting someone to win and believing they can are different things.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I could've predicted this would've happened about something at some point

Did you even read the last line of my post, or.....?

Does US political discourse turn people's brain to mush or something?
Sorry, I just meant to imply that nobody's asking for Bernie to clarify his statements, since it sticks out even more as the only denial in this whole saga.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would I? She didn't even try to contextualize the comment and she's in a position where she could benefit from lying or misleading about it all together. If she weren't losing a political race against this guy I'd be more apt to believe it, but as it stands now it looks like a purposeful smear.

I'm still of the mind that he could have said something like that in an appropriate context of the conversation, but we got no clarity at all and she's insinuating that he straight up doesn't believe a woman can beat Trump. So... nah.

Pretty much.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know why people are acting like there's no room between "Bernie suggested that the American voting public is sexist and would vote accordingly" to "BERNIE SAID WOMEN SHOULDNT BE PRESIDENTTTDSSSJFJEIDJ!!! Fuck him!"

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
listen we should believe Warren's refusal to disavow sexist characterizations of Sanders's comments is coming from a place of good faith and honesty but also nobody is going to remember this embarrassingly mishandled dustup so let's just move on -nervous laughter-

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much context left out of this conversation between the two of them that I just can't help but feel like the original leak was purposefully weaponized to hurt Bernie by a few rogue Warren staffers. For all we know, Bernie was expressing that America's collective misogyny hurt Hillary in the 2016 election and will hurt another woman candidate running against Trump in 2020, which I happen to agree with and I know I'm not alone on this because it's been said countless times on this site.

If the conversation didn't go that way at all and it involved misogyny on Bernie's part, I'd hope Warren would bring that to light now that this is out there. Either way, her response feels insufficient to me because a lot of people are going to assume the worst version of this conversation and others will defend him without the necessary context to know if what he said was appropriate. Now that it's out there, voters deserve to know how Bernie really feels about this and she's the only one that can provide that clarity. I would hate for this to create more space for someone like Biden to become the nominee.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
listen we should believe Warren's refusal to disavow sexist characterizations of Sanders's comments is coming from a place of good faith and honesty but also nobody is going to remember this embarrassingly mishandled dustup so let's just move on -nervous laughter-

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are acting like there's no room between "Bernie suggested that the American voting public is sexist and would vote accordingly" to "BERNIE SAID WOMEN SHOULDNT BE PRESIDENTTTDSSSJFJEIDJ!!! Fuck him!"
I'm 90% sure it's the first option you gave. It's still a dumb insensitive thing to a woman that's probably been talking to you about running for president.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: inappropriate commentary
Dude stop! Bernie has a LOOOONG of putting his foot in his mouth even when he has the best of intentions. The fact that you're attacking Warren over this is fucking shameful. If Biden has said this you would slamming him left right and center.
If I were attacking Warren, I'd bring up the fact that she's a white woman that lied about her heritage to advance her career and proceeded to plagiarized Native American recipes in a cookbook. But I'm not going to do that because that'd be an unnecessary low blow.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Co opting feminism for a political smear is not great imo

Trying to pretend this doesnt have anything to do with gender discrimination and that its in no way linked is just making yourself look ridiculous.

Its a link. A direct one. You don't have to like it, but its true. And trying to deny it just makes you look really bad.

Boy that's some really bad journalism and logic in terms of "it's not real because nobody was in the room... just people who directly talked to her".

Also it's out of date because Warren responded and said it happened lol

Yeah with Warren saying it happened it sort of breaks this all up. Doesn't work anymore. I still think its out of context more than likely, but I truly don't know with her saying it happened. She could mean it was said but within the context it wasnt meant that way, or maybe she is being frank and it did get said. In any case I still think this entire conversation does nothing but hurt us. So fucking drop it.

Jun 20, 2019
"Bernie and I great friends and allies, and he's a big ol' sexist."

Feels like you gotta pick one side or the other of that message.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
But heres some perspective y'all. In the end, this is possibly something Warren and Bernie had a disagreement over long ago and decided to put it aside. Maybe this is a leak to get us to rip each other apart for no good fucking reason?

In the end, both Warren and Bernie are the best candidates on stage.

Oct 31, 2017
Its extremely likely that he merely mentioned how Trump would attack a woman. If you look at how the NYT is confirming it. It reeks of someone throwing their interpretation on top of his words.

I want Warren to win more than anything and Im not fan of Bernies, but this is so obviously bullshit that Im a little sad that this forum entertained it for 12 pages. Lets leave the obvious bullshit to TheDonald pls.

Oh absolutely. I could buy that he said something about women and elections, and then the game of Disingenuous Telephone happened.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this seems cynical, from the original claims, to the statement, to unrelated people laundering #metoo to advance what still comes off as a political gambit fashioned from a game of telephone.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine telling a female coworker that you don't think management will promote a woman to the position you're both going for

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
But heres some perspective y'all. In the end, this is possibly something Warren and Bernie had a disagreement over long ago and decided to put it aside. Maybe this is a leak to get us to rip each other apart for no good fucking reason?

In the end, both Warren and Bernie are the best candidates on stage.

Yep, fuck all that. We got more important shit to worry about.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's extremely possible (and probably likely) that Warren both heard Bernie say he didn't think a women could beat Trump in 2020, and Bernie didn't actually say that.

Bernie probably expressed concerns about what a woman would face, Warren took that to mean a woman couldn't win, though he didn't mean to imply that.

I highly doubt either is lying.
Yes, that is a distinct possibility.

But someone has to be the monster in any disagreement, so.....

Oct 27, 2017
It's because she's implying he's a sexist. How is that not implying exactly that? If she doesn't want to imply that, then she needs to elaborate on the exact phrasing used in that conversation. Because this "I'd rather not talk about it" shit is not helping ANYONE move past these questions still remaining.
But the clear "context" is in the statement itself. He doesn't think a woman could win [the 2020 US presidential elections]. He didn't say a woman is inferior or anything. And she doesn't come close to imply that.

This seems very on brand for Bernie, a man with chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome. He spoke his mind candidly, about the chance of a woman in 2020 (which is definitely going to be harder in this current climate), and it probably irritated Warren.

She privately vented to her staffer, who, like a dumbass, leaked it to the press. I don't understand how people are struggling with this story at all.
I could've predicted this would've happened about something at some point

Sorry, I just meant to imply that nobody's asking for Bernie to clarify his statements, since it sticks out even more as the only denial in this whole saga.
Oh sorry. Thought you were trying to point something out to me, and not adding to my comment. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.