• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's one app to stop using, Grindr, their president just came out against same-sex marriage according to CNN Business: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/grindr-scott-chen-same-sex-marriage-intl-scli/index.html

We at INTO have learned that the current president of Grindr believes that same-sex marriage is a "holy matrimony" between men and women.

(CNN) The president of the gay dating app Grindr has faced a backlash for appearing to suggest that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Scott Chen, who has been president of the app since August, posted on Facebook that he would boycott the Chinese tech company HTC after reports it had backed US groups opposed to same-sex marriage. But he drew criticism for his comments made earlier in the post.

"Some people think marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman. And I think so too. But that's your own business," he wrote, after sharing a story about HTC on his personal Facebook page.

Chen's remarks -- originally written in Chinese and later translated to English -- were picked up and published Thursday by Into, a digital magazine owned by Grindr.

Zach Stafford, editor-in-chief of Into, wrote on Twitter Thursday that the publication had learned the "current president of Grindr believes that same-sex marriage is a 'holy matrimony' between men and women."

Chen responded angrily to the article published by Into, saying he had not been contacted for a comment, and branded it "unbalanced and misleading."

"The reason I said marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman is based on my own personal experience," he said. "I am a straight man married to a woman I love and I have two beautiful daughters I love from the marriage."

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
What kind of crazy fucking gymnastics does your mind have to perform to hold that view while running that company?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just be over here thinking about how basic, entry-level retail positions make you take a personality test to see if you're a good fit for a company

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Chief Grindr boy turns out to have less than progressive views and be interested in upholding toxic masculinity? I am shocked.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The issue here is more nuanced than what the OP is presenting. The guy actually supports legal same-sex marriage even if it conflicts with his own beliefs of what marriage should be defined as.

He actually made such comments as a way to criticize Cher Wang and how she influenced Taiwan into banning same-sex marriage in a referendum, essentially saying that marriage should not be anyone else's business but the people who are actually getting married.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
What an idiot. Great way to shit on your customers.
Edit might be a translation issue, but yikes.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
More click bait. There was a thread about this yesterday that included the translated tweet that started this. As always with these things, the real story is in the final paragraph.

"I am a huge advocate for LGBTQ+ rights since I was young. I support gay marriage and I am proud that I can work for Grindr," he wrote in the comments section under the Into article.
"The reason I said marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman is based on my own personal experience," he said. "I am a straight man married to a woman I love and I have two beautiful daughters I love from the marriage."
In his original Facebook post, since removed, Chen urged groups which oppose same-sex marriage to donate instead to people "suffering from poverty, hunger, war or natural disasters."

He basically states that his religious view is that marriage is between a man and a woman, BUT he thinks it's ridiculous for the rich to spend money to enforce this. He thinks that if two guys have a reason of their own to get married then they should be allowed to do so.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this has been picked up by other sites:

Grindr: app's president says marriage is 'between man and woman': https://www.theguardian.com/technol...marriage-holy-matrimony-between-man-and-woman
President of gay dating app Grindr says marriage is 'between man and woman': https://www.indy100.com/article/gri...ge-man-woman-same-sex-lgbt-scott-chen-8660671
Grindr head Scott Chen says marriage is between a man and a woman: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/30/grindr-scott-chen-marriage/
The President of Grindr Just Said He's AGAINST Gay Marriage: https://www.out.com/news-opinion/2018/11/29/president-grindr-just-said-hes-against-gay-marriage

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
More click bait. There was a thread about this yesterday that included the translated tweet that started this. As always with these things, the real story is in the final paragraph.

He basically states that his religious view is that marriage is between a man and a woman, BUT he thinks it's ridiculous for the rich to spend money to enforce this. He thinks that if two guys have a reason of their own to get married then they should be allowed to do so.
I kinda feel like if you're in the gay sex facilitation business; holding the view that gay relationships are lesser and that gay sex is intrinsically of a differet nature is going to engender a company ethos that doesn't gel with my personal views, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.