• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately another sad weekend for the Windy City

Despite dips in recent years in gun violence and the sanctioned stay-at-home orders, Chicago saw it's deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years.
At least eight people were fatally shot over the weekend and 24 were injured in shootings as of Monday afternoon, according to Chicago Police data reviewed by CNN.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/us/chicago-shootings-children-shot/index.html
11 children shot in yet another violent Chicago weekend
Last year, there were at least five people killed over the Memorial Day weekend, This was down from the at least six fatalities in 2018, 2017 and 2016, according to Chicago police and CNN affiliate WGN.

www.cnn.com

Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years with 10 killed and 39 injured in shootings

After seeing a slight dip in 2018, the numbers of those shot and killed are back up.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
As a Chicagoan, sadly, this isn't surprising. Today had the perfect weather for clowns to start popping off. And, no, COVID-19 ain't going to stop people acting like fools this summer.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I am pretty sure I heard gunshots outside of my apartment earlier this night. This really fucking sucks.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh..... the sun must shine differently here because as soon as the weather gets warm people lose their minds.

We'll probably be seeing this headline again come July.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Lives cut short. Damn, that's so fucking awful. Surely any squabble this was over wasn't worth killing people over. Can't relate to that mindset.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sun's out, guns out. Weather is always such a reliable way of predicting gun violence in Chicago.

You have to wonder whether the extra pent up demand for this kind of weather from lockdown might have contributed to the relative increase in violence over recent years, rather than decreasing it as you might have expected

Enthuzed

Apr 21, 2020
A 9th was killed in Chicago

I live in Baltimore and we had our 9th person killed this weekend just a few hours ago.

Its insane.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
It's not Memorial Day specifically, just the fact that it's warm outside in general. This has been a thing with Chicago for a long time.

Not so. There have been plenty of warm to hot days. That's doesn't make sense. It's the changing dynamic in social allowances and the economic shithole we find ourselves in.
Trust me, I grew up in LA during the late 80's thru the 90's. Raiders jackets didn't drive people nuts in the heat.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not so. There have been plenty of warm to hot days. That's doesn't make sense. It's the changing dynamic in social allowances and the economic shithole we find ourselves in.
Trust me, I grew up in LA during the late 80's thru the 90's. Raiders jackets didn't drive people nuts in the heat.
I mean, LA has at least decent temperatures year round, so I imagine the situation is a bit different compared to Chicago which gets really fucking cold in the winter

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017

LA doesn't have cold winters. There's a well established trend that gun violence begins to rise when it starts to get hot in Chicago.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
This study was actually conducted in LA, coincidentally.

Higher temperatures can lead to more crime - MarketWatch

A recent study by University of Southern California researchers analyzed data from the Los Angeles Police Department.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Chicago has massive systemic problems, and ravaged neighborhoods on the south and west side. Its really sad and dangerous

phaonaut

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of heat wave = uptick in violence. I always thought it was interesting that this topic popped up in Romeo and Juliet.

The day is hot, the Capulets abroad,
And, if we meet, we shall not 'scape a brawl;
For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i don't buy this 'heat wave = more crimes'.

i am in singapore where it is 'scorched earth' 75% of the year. People are not going out all lawless 75% of the time.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
This happens every year. Once it gets hot outside the gang violence increases.

Also Chicago has strict gun laws since I saw someone mention banning guns. The issue is they are surrounded by states (Indiana) where guns are literally being given away.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i don't buy this 'heat wave = more crimes'.

i am in singapore where it is 'scorched earth' 75% of the year. People are not going out all lawless 75% of the time.

god, posts like this just like, totally miss and ignore any context surrounding the statistics. chicago and singapore are not the same city.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
50%+ of the gun crimes in Chicago are related to street gangs and the drug trade. Interestingly Illinois legalized Marijuana in 2020, there are licensed open dealers now like many other states although I don't know specifically if Chicago participates, I assume so. Its definitely a city that needs to consider decriminalizing even hard drugs like cocaine and heroin. One would hope legal weed trades would start putting pressure on the street gangs and the drug trade but apparently not.

This is not some new phenomenon either, its been this way for decades now and only draws attention when the warfare spills out of the poor neighborhoods or when some new reporter realizes that hundreds of people die every year in Chicago to gun deaths.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's it like living in a country that isn't a broken mess? As an American, I have no idea.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
50%+ of the gun crimes in Chicago are related to street gangs and the drug trade. Interestingly Illinois legalized Marijuana in 2020, there are licensed open dealers now like many other states although I don't know specifically if Chicago participates, I assume so. Its definitely a city that needs to consider decriminalizing even hard drugs like cocaine and heroin. One would hope legal weed trades would start putting pressure on the street gangs and the drug trade but apparently not.

Yeah there are dispensaries all over the state including Chicago. But they are expensive and the tax is crazy high so it's still much easier and cheaper to get it from a dealer.