• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you regularly recline your seat when flying?

• Yes

Votes: 310 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 732 70.2%

• Total voters

signal

Oct 28, 2017
lzWAe9N.jpg

One day ;_;7

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I never recline. The amount of added "space" doesn't make a big enough difference to me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Good - seat reclining on commercial flights should end. Literally serves no purpose except to make the person behind you more uncomfortable.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Anyone who says they can fly coast-to-coast in the US without reclining is lying. :P

Those seats are uncomfortable as it is. The recline helps mitigate some of the lower back soreness when you finally land.

And yes, this is Delta being cheap. If it wanted to, it could install seats with the shells that allow for recline by sliding the base forward.

I can't get lie flat seats on domestic routes, but I can at least get seats that recline. If that means not flying Delta, oh well.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good.

I never recline unless the person in front of me does. They should get rid of it completely

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
its like a pathetic recline anyway. like half an inch. Just flew on a 737, walked past "first" class. LOL. People and their lame ass gold trinkets. just did atl/los angeles and back. Didn't recline once because i was offended that they consider that reclining. Saw a woman sleeping on her tv tray. 6'1 here. There was no way to sleep on that fucking plane. Recline or not.

ThouIsARobber

Oct 30, 2017
I never understood why they allow you to recline those couple of inches anyway. Feels like a relic from decades ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I hope the "I paid for this seat, I can recline as much as I want!" "people" (sociopaths) are proud of themselves. Good move IMO.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wonderful news, one of the few things that are better on Ryanair / Easyjet is that the seats don't recline so you don't get some idiot smashing into your legs.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is the right call. Smaller planes on a 2 hour flight and the dude reclines in front of me it's like what the fuck dude. And no, me just reclining too doesn't solve the issue as the bottom of the seat doesn't move so my knees are still fucked.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Anyone who says they can fly coast-to-coast in the US without reclining is lying. :P

Those seats are uncomfortable as it is. The recline helps mitigate some of the lower back soreness when you finally land.

And yes, this is Delta being cheap. If it wanted to, it could install seats with the shells that allow for recline by sliding the base forward.

I can't get lie flat seats on domestic routes, but I can at least get seats that recline. If that means not flying Delta, oh well.
I've flown economy on flights from Boston to London, Copenhagen to Orlando, and Chicago to Hong Kong without reclining.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I recline, but only just barely and only if the person behind me isn't tall. Still, this is the right thing to do. Most who recline are super inconsiderate about it.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
How come people cant just fall asleep without reclining? I easily fall asleep on the bus without reclining.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How come people cant just fall asleep without reclining? I easily fall asleep on the bus without reclining.
Hard enough for me with reclining. I'm not a back sleeper. Can't fall asleep on my back no matter what. Even on planes I have to kinda squirm sideways and slightly dig my shoulder into the seat. It's hard/impossible to get that position with a perfectly upright seat.

Dec 31, 2017
Smart idea for 1-2 hour flights, especially for business travelers.

For overseas/red-eyes though, reclining is a must.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I strongly disagree with the takes that getting rid of reclining seats is a good thing. The only reason reclining makes other people uncomfortable is the airlines have been taking more and more space away from their customers. If anyone thinks this isn't just the next step in them cramming more and more people onto planes making us even more uncomfortable you aren't paying attention.

There's no option for halfway decent seats on any airline anymore without springing for business class (which is insane for most people). It's very frustrating there isn't an airline I can pay $50-100 extra for just the baseline standard from 15 years ago.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My comfort shouldn't be jeopardized because of someone behind me. Won't be flying delta now.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I recline. I sleep on planes. I expect the person in front of me to recline.

Not reclining is gonna do three things:

1. Give airlines even more leeway to cut pitch size (just look at American Airlines' cursed 737 MAX 8 https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/first-look-aa-boeing-737-max-8/ https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/aa-flight-attendants-complain-737-max-bathrooms/)
2. Make an already uncomfortable seat even more uncomfortable
3. Charge for a reclining seat in the "Economy Plus" area, because fuck the cheap peasants in the back /s

LOL at removing reclining in Business class. They would be crazy to do so.

As a tall dude, thank God.
Good. Stay up during the flight and be miserable like me.
Good idea. Airline seat reclining is like maximum frustration for minimum benefit.
My knees thank you Delta.
It's hard for me to open my laptop and type when somebody reclines so this is great as a tall person with long arms
Wish all airlines would do this.

Once you've had an 8 hour flight where the person in front of you is in full recline for the entire flight you form a life long hatred.
They shouldn't recline at all, it doesn't make sense when space is already crammed in economy class.

Also throw a little more padding in them so I don't feel toddlers kicking me anymore
This is a good thing.
Good. Fuck recliners.
Good. Hot top, put your knee up a few inches behind the seat in front of you. When the person reclines they will hit your knee and think that's as far back as the seat goes.
Reclining in an airplane should be considered a war crime.
Good

Another reason for me to continue flying on Delta
THANK YOU

On a recent flight, I had the woman in front of me recline all the fucking way back during mealtime. It was frustrating as hell and the flight attendants couldn't do anything about it.
Awesome news, got to book a few flights on Delta coming up, hope they are on these planes
Good. It's fine in moderation but if I can't put my head on my knees in my own chair it's gotten too ridiculous.
Sounds nothing but winning at this point.
Good - seat reclining on commercial flights should end. Literally serves no purpose except to make the person behind you more uncomfortable.
Good.

I never recline unless the person in front of me does. They should get rid of it completely
Wonderful news, one of the few things that are better on Ryanair / Easyjet is that the seats don't recline so you don't get some idiot smashing into your legs.
Yeah this is the right call. Smaller planes on a 2 hour flight and the dude reclines in front of me it's like what the fuck dude. And no, me just reclining too doesn't solve the issue as the bottom of the seat doesn't move so my knees are still fucked.
Good. Recliners just make a bad situation worse.
No. I'm not an asshole.
This is the right move. All other airlines need to follow.
Me and my long dancers legs appreciate this
Great news. I hate when someone reclines practically into my nose.
The shooting pain in my knees just got a little less shooting. Thanks Delta.
This.

Also, the person in front me reclined suddenly once while I had my laptop on the tray table, and I thought the display was going to get ripped off.
Yeah this is great news all around.
This is awesome. Delta can become the airline for noncliners and everyone else can recline. I will always fly Delta.
Thank goodness. Being over 6 feet tall and having someone attempt to crush your knees with their seat is nightmarish.

good, people are fucking selfish pricks that recline too far and ruin the flight for the person behind them

So ALL OF YOU THAT CHERISH THIS: You really think this is a good thing? LOL enjoy <28" pitch seats in a few years. That is always the plan anyway https://www.cntraveler.com/story/american-airlines-is-cutting-economy-legroom-by-2-inches

Shit is gonna be worse than Spirit right now.

The future with this timeline https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/skyrider-standing-plane-seats-future-of-budget-flying/:

IMG_2652.jpg

Last edited:

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

1. Give airlines even more leeway to cut pitch size (just look at American Airlines' cursed 787 MAX 8 https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/first-look-aa-boeing-737-max-8/ https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/aa-flight-attendants-complain-737-max-bathrooms/)
2. Make an already uncomfortable seat even more uncomfortable
3. Charge for a reclining seat in the "Economy Plus" area, because fuck the cheap peasants in the back /s

LOL at removing reclining in Business class. They would be crazy to do so.

So ALL OF YOU THAT CHERISH THIS: You really think this is a good thing? LOL enjoy <28" pitch seats in a few years. That is always the plan anyway https://www.cntraveler.com/story/american-airlines-is-cutting-economy-legroom-by-2-inches

Shit is gonna be worse than Spirit right now.

This post actually made me smile. I will say one thing though - the Delta executives earned their bonuses today. They've got 70% of this thread staning for them as they clearly, transparently are trying to reduce seat pitch again. Well played!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
This post actually made me smile. I will say one thing though - the Delta executives earned their bonuses today. They've got 70% of this thread staning for them as they clearly, transparently are trying to reduce seat pitch again. Well played!
Tell me about it. As a frequent traveler, fuck this reducing pitch bullshit.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017

1. Give airlines even more leeway to cut pitch size (just look at American Airlines' cursed 737 MAX 8 https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/first-look-aa-boeing-737-max-8/ https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/aa-flight-attendants-complain-737-max-bathrooms/)
Funnily enough, knowing the 737 Max was out of commission made it so that I actually booked AA on a recent trip from LHR to SFO (via JFK).

Wouldn't have risked it otherwise. No fucking way I'm dealing with that cramped nightmare of a plane.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Where is the bottom of this slippery slope? Why can't they just settle for comfortable seats for everyone and charge enough to get the planes where they need to go? Does is seem fair to pack us like pigs closer and closer and closer together, in extremely uncomfortable and stressful environments, in order for the corporation to drain even more satisfying profits? As we know, there is never enough money that will satisfy a corporation. There is always the thirst for more. This type of thing will continue until those running the show are ones who give a shit about people instead of money, first.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fly about once a week and I am still aware and sympathetic to the fact that most of my fellow travelers don't and they don't know that reclining their seat can intrude on the person behind. And further getting mad at that person is exactly where the airline wants you to pin the blame. And once everyone gets used to no reclining seats, they'll jam in another row of seats and make it a little worse.

So go ahead and be angry at oblivious passengers - or tap them politely on the shoulder and explain your discomfort.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
This is awesome. Delta can become the airline for noncliners and everyone else can recline. I will always fly Delta.