• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you regularly recline your seat when flying?

• Yes

Votes: 310 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 732 70.2%

• Total voters

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always recline, but not the full way. So I would just do the full recline on these half reclining seats.
Never fly Delta anyway, though.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I can't use my laptop at all, or comfortably play any kind of games, if someone in front of me is reclining. The seats just shouldn't do it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
why would you provide a reclining seat but don't allows it to be reclined?

sounds like an oxymoronic decision....

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I recline but not a full recline so the person behind me isn't squished. I also try to get isle seats or near the emergency exit for leg room.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I'm far from being the tallest guy in the world, but as a long-legged 6 foot tall guy (tailors always mention how my legs are long for my height), I have to have my legs pretty wide open (calm down) and my knees still touch the seat in front before it reclines. To all the people suggesting that all seats being automatically reclined is the solution, you're wrong. Firstly, some people are uncomfortable in a reclined position. Especially if working or eating. Yes, even those with back problems, legitimate or otherwise. Also, on some planes, the back row does not recline at all. I once spent 14 hours in the window seat of the back row in a plane with the seat in front fully reclined. That was a horrendous experience.

The real solution here is to have the seat of the chair move forward and the back of the chair angle forward with it. There's always extra legroom at the front, so nobody will be put out too much by it. It also means that rather than selfishly put someone else through extreme discomfort for hours because "fuck you. I paid for this seat" recliners would have the choice to sacrifice their own legroom rather than inconvenience another person who also paid for their fucking seat.

Also, fuck your back problems. I legitimately have knee problems. Didn't think of that, did you? At the worst of times, I have to limp about with knee braces on.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

09hKHs2.jpg

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm a seat recliner - but that's because almost all of my flights are long haul flights, from either Japan to Europe or Japan to the States where I need to catch some sleep. On shorter flights I don't recline my seat (and if I do, I don't recline it very far back) as I don't need to.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The best solution is were if you recline, instead of your seat taking space from the person behind you it takes your own foot space. It will probably be more effort to engineer something like that so airlines probably won't bother.

Seasts like this exist. They just cost money. And they don't allow you to make room for more seats. If Delta were trying to make it better for all customers, they would go this route. But since they are likely prepping for a seat pitch reduction next year, blocking recline is the way to go.

I'm not going to entertain discussing how they didn't make this change to increase the number of seats, when reclining wouldn't be a fucking problem in the first place if there was enough room between seats.

Bingo.

They are not adding more seats to planes as a result of this.

You know, I have this amazing bridge to sell...

Also, fuck your back problems. I legitimately have knee problems. Didn't think of that, did you? At the worst of times, I have to limp about with knee braces on.

"Got mine, fuck you!"

As long as people take this approach, the airlines win.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This is for short flights or you all really travel for 12 hours without reclining?

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I have no idea why they don't just install seats that slide forward (slightly) when you recline - let the person reclining make the decision as to whether they are fine with leg room being limited.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You know, trains are nice. I took a train from DC to Virginia one time and it was actually nice. I slept most of the way. This is why high-speed rail infrastructure needs to improve in this country, because the profit margins aren't so horrifyingly bad as to require being packed in sardine cans.

I don't recline. I also don't fucking trust Delta.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Seasts like this exist. They just cost money. And they don't allow you to make room for more seats. If Delta were trying to make it better for all customers, they wound go this route.

I know. I'm a big fan of the concept. Alas, changing to them would be expensive, so they're too good for this world, unfortunately.

"Got mine, fuck you!"

As long as people take this approach, the airlines win.

Yup. Selfish assholes.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yup. Selfish assholes.

An apt description of anyone who says "fuck your back problems."

Rather than pushing for optimal solutions, the anti-recline folks in this thread are pushing for things like the Skyrider seats.

It's ok, the anti-recline folks can have Delta and Spirit. Other carriers may cost more, but comfort is worth it.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If every seat can be reclined, why is it such a "horrendous" crime to do so? I never go all the way, but a few hours after takeoff and it's time to chill and nap a bit I recline my seat about 2 steps and no one ever said anything to me. The seat infront of me also gets reclined in probably half of the flights I took and I never made a big deal out of it.
Some people in here sound like they're entitled whiners, and I'm not talking about those with legit back or knee problems. (which should always opt for the spacious front seats btw if the problems are that bad)
how dare the person infront of me use the feature of his chair he paid for!

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I do not. There's so little room as is, even in business class (never G'd up enough to fly first class, so maybe it's not a big deal up there in the promised land).

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
An apt description of anyone who says "fuck your back problems."

Rather than pushing for optimal solutions, the anti-recline folks in this thread are pushing for things like the Skyrider seats.

It's ok, the anti-recline folks can have Delta and Spirit. Other carriers may cost more, but comfort is worth it.

If people aren't going to give a fuck about my knee problems, then I'm certainly not going to give a fuck about their back problems unless they have an obviously apparent disability.

And if you'd actually read my post, you would see that I'm not letting airlines off the hook and pushing for things like skyrider seats. I'm pushing for another kind of seat that actually exists and it would be a much more comfortable solution for all passengers. Unfortunately, it won't happen anytime soon, because reasons ($), but it wouldn't take away your ability to recline and it wouldn't force me to sit with constant pressure from the seat ahead for more than half a day.

What the recliner brigade keep forgetting is that you're causing pain and discomfort over a period of several hours to other people. The anti recliners just want you to stop that. So tell me, who's the asshole here?

And I fly internationally, so I've flown with Emirates, klm, Cathay Pacific, British airways, JAL, Qatar, etc. They all suck when it comes to legroom. Honestly, it's the reason why I've only flew back to visit family twice in the last eight years.

I'm not talking about those with legit back or knee problems. (which should always opt for the spacious front seats btw if the problems are that bad)

Those seats are usually given to people with children. You can reserve one, but the airlines reserve the right to give it to someone who needs it more (someone with children, disabilities etc) which I can obviously understand, but I'm just pointing out that it's not an ideal situation. It's happened to me before and I had to fight for a partial refund. Also, sometimes they're already taken. Lots of passengers on those planes, but very few seats with extra legroom. I finally got to use those chairs for the first time in November and they were glorious, but that was only because I was travelling with a toddler.

You may have paid the airline for your seat, but you didn't pay me shit for the extreme discomfort you put me through for several hours, so I have a right to consider your behaviour to be selfish.

Last edited:

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
...in further good news, they stop serving food on all flights, because it tastes terrible anyway. Another problem solved.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
recliners are domestic terrorists
there, I said it

edit: wait, would it be domestic terrorism when you are flying?

cdracingzx6r

Jan 9, 2018
Honestly, until recently I didnt know there was a controversy over reclining the seat on flights. I don't travel much.

But personally, I get horrible motion sickness and have to take Dramamine before flying to avoid heaving my guts out during the flight. The side effect of this puts me into a coma, and I pass out most of the flight. For that reason I recline my seat back. I figure its better than others suffering next to me while I throw up into a bag during the flight.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
"Fuck your back problems" so beautifully distills the anti-recliner position down to its essence. It literally is "my pain is more important than your pain". To be fair, that's the pro-recliner position too, but at least we're not pretending we're coming from a position of empathy.

This thread really is an interesting psychological study. I always wonder why people are so willing to vote against their own economic interests, and it's usually because other people they really don't like are getting hurt more. That's exactly what's going on here, on a left-leaning board, and it's really interesting. People are either willfully ignorant about or outright okay with a loss of pitch, which will adversely effect their own comfort. More than that, they're lining up to praise their corporate overlords for it. Why? Because the recliners they hate will suffer more than they will. Some suffering is okay, so long as it's even worse for others. Fascinating!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Seasts like this exist. They just cost money. And they don't allow you to make room for more seats. If Delta were trying to make it better for all customers, they would go this route. But since they are likely prepping for a seat pitch reduction next year, blocking recline is the way to go.
Had them one time in a 777 from ANA. Really, really nice. Being able to recline to the fullest without fucking the person behind was awesome.