• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Traditionally, gamer gear has been manly. Microsoft (MSFT)'s Xbox controller comes in colors like electric blue or firetruck red. Sony's controllers are available in black as well as various shades of neon and camo. And Nvidia's angular, black controller looks a little too much like Darth Vader's mask.

Stadia is taking a more gender-neutral approach. Google is selling controllers that come in white, black or Wasabi green. (Nintendo, which made the Switch Lite in bright colors like turquoise and yellow, is another outlier in designing for a gaming audience that includes women as well as men.)

"Some of our historical competitors in the console space have been a bit more masculine and a bit more mechanical in their approach," Phil Harrison, Google VP and head of Stadia, said in an interview with CNN Business.

For Google, the design decision could help its new gaming service stand out from competitors and also attract a more diverse audience. In the United States, women make up 46% of gamers, according to the Entertainment Software Association, a video game trade group. It also points to a possible secret weapon for Google as it pushes into an industry that Ernst & Young estimates will generate $152 billion in revenue in 2019.

"If Google has an advantage here versus Xbox or Playstation, it's that it doesn't have a pre-existing 'gamer culture' it has to appease," said Laine Nooney, assistant professor and historian of video games at New York University.

It's not just the color of the controller. A quick test of the product by CNN Business showed that the controller is slightly easier for small hands to grip than similar products put out by rivals. Google said that was intentional.

"It's made for small and large hands so it's super usable for a large segment of gamers that aren't always appreciated," said Google industrial designer Jason Pi, in a behind-the-scenes video.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey honey, want to pay $60/mo extra for unlimited data so that you can stream games with a slightly smaller, Wasabi green controller?"

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
One thing Stadia does have going for it is none of the cultural baggage that is associated with the XBox or Playstation brands - which naturally get swept in with 'gamer culture'. From a pure marketing standpoint, you could see how Stadia could be attractive to users who might be interested in games, but haven't been compelled to invest in them.

That said, to actually capitalize on that - it'll take a lot of work. Bigger catalogue, full mobile compatibility, and a free tier are the tip of a larger iceberg.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
They do realize PS4 and Xbox controllers come in basic colors right? Bad article is bad....

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware aesthetics is fine but they will need to do it with software and the current launch lineup still leans heavily towards the typical male gamer crowd. That's not to say that women don't play these games but Stadia isn't really offering a broader demographic what they can't find on Xbox or Playstation. Maybe we'll see more down the line.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
People who aren't part of pre existing gamer culture have never even heard of stadia.
Google can just flip a switch at YouTube and make 90% of the video recommendations on YouTube, Stadia videos. Not to mention YouTube advertisements. If there is one thing they won't have trouble with imo, its getting the word out. It will be quite easy for them.

They are very similar with Amazon in this case. They have massive reach, they can push anything.

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
Isn't there a purple DS4? And I swear I saw a pink xbox one controller. The fuck is this article? I'm a guy and I would buy those vibrant colors.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's another brilliant move by Stadia, if I had a penny for every time I saw women gamers dismiss a console because it didn't have Wasabi green controllers I would be funding the next 6 entries of Shenmue by now.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
And therefore women will pay full price for old games that they won't own? Good luck with that.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
yyyyiiiiikesssss

I'd argue they're taking a more gender-neutral approach, because EVERYone outside of gaming I've asked about Stadia gives me a deer-in-the-headlights look in response. "wuzza Stadia, is that like Skyrim or something" -- aka, no advertising or push to make anybody outside of gaming culture aware of its name and how it works.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uh make some games for them? Off the top of my head I can think of Sims, pokemon, Wow, Kingdom Hearts etc that have found strong audiances with women. Wouldn't the problem be with the games and not the tech?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I've never met a woman (or man, really) who had a slight interest in a game give a fuck what the console or method of playing it looks like.

CNN, trash network, trash website.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
So Stadia's white and black controllers are gender-neutral-controllers, but PS4 and Xbox One's white and black controllers are man-controllers? Ok.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
The implication here is that it's the hardware that's somehow responsible for alienating women from "gamer culture", and not, y'know, the games and in particular the culture of the player communities that have formed around some of them, which Stadia shares?

Gee Phil I, uh, I don't know if this one is quite it, chief.

But yes sure, the gaming solution that is promising deep links to YouTube and its culture would surely end up being non-toxic and friendly to women, all else being equal.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Absolutely none of my friends even know this exists. Google, you suck at attracting women. Your Google phone is getting the same crowd as the Windows phone and that's not a compliment. Your plethora of messaging apps is annoying. Hangouts was the only good one and even that is dying because people are slowly realizing that group chats turn into a shitty meme bin once you go over 6 people. You also made Youtube corporate-y and lame.

Google half-bakes everything they touch and people are starting to realize that and not give a shit about what they do. And lets not confuse Android and Play store fans with people who don't essentially have a choice between Android and Apple.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
One thing Stadia does have going for it is none of the cultural baggage that is associated with the XBox or Playstation brands - which naturally get swept in with 'gamer culture'. From a pure marketing standpoint, you could see how Stadia could be attractive to users who might be interested in games, but haven't been compelled to invest in them.

That said, to actually capitalize on that - it'll take a lot of work. Bigger catalogue, full mobile compatibility, and a free tier are the tip of a larger iceberg.

There's certainly some truth to this, although I have no confidence that Google will pull it off. Apple would probably take advantage of this if they entered the market.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm surprised they aren't selling pink controllers as the "women version".

Reminded me this

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's certainly some truth to this, although I have no confidence that Google will pull it off. Apple would probably take advantage of this if they entered the market.
Yeah, I think if Apple had been the one to make a more concentrated play into this space - they'd have a much easier time getting the product in people's hands. Have to imagine they'd have a bit more polished rollout, though I highly doubt they'd be as early to market as Stadia .

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
"Different" colors and slightly smaller controllers = appealing to women?

This is some PR nonsense.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Google Stadia might have once appealed to some women gamers, but after being made caricactures of, these potential customers kept playing their consoles and PCs."

The fuck? How is everything wrong with this platform?