(CNN) ICE to begin nationwide immigration raids Sunday

Sagadego17

Oct 25, 2017

Washington (CNN) US Immigration and Customs Enforcement plans to begin the previously postponed raids across the country Sunday to arrest thousands of family members of undocumented immigrants who already have court orders to be removed, according to a US official.

Impeach if old

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I have the utmost confidence that ICE will respect the tenets and letter of due process.

/ snerk
// hork

Xaszatm

Oct 25, 2017
Will this be enough for the Democratic Party to act, or does a child need to die on the House floor before democratic leadership will finally act?

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
If you ask yourself why are they forewarning this: Cruelty is the point.

They want non-white people to be scared shitless for their lives.

Sweeney Swift

Oct 25, 2017
New York Times first broke the news at like 1AM Eastern

Just like this cowardly administration to make a plan official when nearly everyone's asleep

kikiribu

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn’t Microsoft help them? I think ICE would hardly function without their help, but I don’t see that being brought up on this forum, weirdly enough.

People are going to end up getting violent and/or shot over this.
Yup, and when they try to defend themselves, Trump will just say, “you see what these savages are capable of? They’re animals” as a means of justification

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Doesn’t Microsoft help them? I think ICE would hardly function without their help, but I don’t see that being brought up on this forum, weirdly enough.

Yup, and when they try to defend themselves, Trump will just say, “you see what these savages are capable of? They’re animals” as a means of justification
Lol, what the hell does Microsoft have to do with this conversation?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
California
To incite terror. They're terrorists.
The cruelty is the point.
I guess so, how petty and it just seems so stupid.. Asshats.

Would this warning be a net benefit to the people targeted though? At least maybe they have time to get out of town or plan to be somewhere else this weekend?

ICE themselves even think talking about it is dumb. From the article:

Former acting ICE director John Sandweg, who served under the Obama administration, also expressed concern Thursday about operational details being released ahead of time.
"You never want the target to know you're coming. You want that element of surprise because it keeps you safe," he said, referring to the officers.
"From an effective perspective, that's why you don't announce these things," he added. "Somebody has determined the political value of talking about this publicly exceeds the operational value of surprise."

Commedieu

Nov 11, 2017
Trump doesn't need justifications, so no need to pearl clutch over it. Hopefully ICE is reminded how many guns are in this country, its about that time. This train wreck is going to be right on time.

This is what they announced a couple weeks ago and got postponed, correct?

(Which itself was probably a deliberate mind game too)

Edit: yep

Thankk god Dem leadership worked with the republicans.

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The New York Times first reported on the raids, saying they are expected to take place in at least 10 cities, will occur "over multiple days" and will include "collateral" deportations in which "authorities might detain immigrants who happened to be on the scene, even though they were not targets of the raids."

Collateral deportations
wtf

Chikor

Oct 26, 2017
New York Times first broke the news at like 1AM Eastern

Just like this cowardly administration to make a plan official when nearly everyone's asleep
It's the biggest story on their home page, and I'm gonna guess gonna be featured heavily in tomorrow's print edition.
There are many things to criticize about the NYT, but I really don't think that's one them. I think they published it when it was ready to publish and that's a good thing, I don't want the NYT to sit on stories like that for newcycle consideration.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
They are doing this when they are functionally bankrupt?

That's a bold strategy.