• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
181007184913-furry-costume-xerxes-wolf-exlarge-169.jpg

In the 1980s, Stansfield and his partner Mark Merlino — during visits to science fiction conventions — realized the furry fandom was becoming a bigger thing of its own. By 1989 they organized an "experiment" they called ConFurence Zero at a Holiday Inn in Garden Grove, California: the first known "furry convention and seminar."
Although only 65 people showed up, including only two or three in costume, ConFurence Zero started a movement of sorts.
It gave momentum to the fandom, later resulting in similar conventions such as Califur, Canada's VancouFur, Australia's ConFurgence, Eurofurence and Anthrocon, which is now held yearly in Pittsburgh. Last summer's Anthrocon, one of the biggest, drew about 8,400 people, including nearly 2,000 in costumes, according to the event website.

"We don't feel like furry fandom is something we created, it's something that was there," Stansfield says. "We were just the guys who introduced it to itself. We just came up with a goofy new way for fans to talk to each other — actually meeting, face to face. People took that and ran with it."
Three decades later the fury fandom is much bigger, using the power of the internet to reach out, organize, engage with each other and share — via videos, podcasts and art.

Pocari Roo, Barton Fox and Stormi Folf are just a few of many furries who host video channels on YouTube discussing fursonas, affordable fursuits and other topics. "I simply want to help the world understand our fandom a little better," says Stormi Folf, who prefers to use his fursona "for reasons of privacy and safety."
"I'm known as a furry but only family and close friends know my real name," he said.

181007183119-furry-art-female-wolf-exlarge-169.jpg

Furry lingo
It's a subculture just like any other — including unique terminology.
  • For example, a "greymuzzle" is an older member of the furry fandom.
  • "Bronies" are fans of the "My Little Pony" toy, TV and movie franchise.
  • A "therian" is someone who feels an intense spiritual identification with a nonhuman animal.
  • A "babyfur" is interested in age play and young or childlike characters.
  • Milfurs are furries who are current or past members of the military.
  • Here's one more: Furries who are into costumes are called fursuiters. And yes, #FursuitFriday is a real hashtag on social media.

"Demographically, it's mostly white. They tend to be sort of middle class and they tend to be what you think of as nerds," says MacEwan University instructor Dr. Courtney Plante, who runs the study along with researchers at Niagara County Community College, Texas A&M University and other universities.

An overwhelming percentage, 84%, identify as male.
A female artist in the community who calls herself InkTiger says the mostly male fandom hasn't been a big problem for her. "There's some sexism in the fandom, as there is in any other part of society. I don't think it's any more pronounced in furry than anywhere else."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/14/us/furries-culture/index.html

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing against furries or anything, but could CNN have used a non-neon abomination as their image for this? How anyone thinks that looks acceptable is beyond me.

Edit:
A "babyfur" is interested in age play and young or childlike characters.
Oh dear Christ, no. Actually, everything against furries, Jesus.

Last edited:

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Probably shouldn't be normalizing babyfur content considering a not small amount of them are actual pedophiles. There's no real gray line when you go that deep down.

Other than that I appreciate the effort I guess. ...actually no promoting babyfur stuff is so awful they probably shouldn't be commended for this.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I hope more than anything people learn to be more respectful towards them and their culture. It's really disappointing to see them being mocked even on forums like this one. So they're into something you're not, big deal.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
why did the OP start with that Pic

OP you ease us in

EASE US IN

that pic was too much to take in all at once

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are they gonna ask us to start respecting people with anime avatars next?

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Furries arent misunderstood.

We're perverts. This is our fetish... and people who want to shine a light on it embarrass me.

I wish people would stop trying to make it mainstream. Its cringey as fuck. We don't need this to be "accepted" and honestly I find the a lot of the people who demand it be out in the open kind of creepy.

Its a kink. Stop it.

Also I disavow baby furs/ age play. Most of us do. The most damaging thing mainstreamers do for us is try to pretend this and zoophilia is normal or accepted in the ranks. Kinks have their place... and as long as they stay within the appropriate confines its fine. The more extreme stuff is as horrifying to us as it is to non furries. We are not monolithic and we do not want to get lumped in with shit we don't associate with.

Wearing diaper suits or bondage gear in the public is mot okay.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Furries arent misunderstood.

Were perverts. This is our fetish... and people who want to shine a light on it embarrass me.

I wish people would stop trying to make it mainstream. Its cringey as fuck. We don't need this to be "accepted" and honestly I find the a lot of the people who demand it be out in the open kind of creepy.

Its a kink. Stop it.

It doesn't need to be mainstream in order for people to learn to not be assholes to those who are different than them.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I learned more about furries from that infamous CSI episode than from this CNN piece.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days) - inflammatory generalizations despite previous warning for generalizing furries
Furries are basically zoophiliacs that arent fully there yet or in denial right?

Also

What the fuck

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some things are not meant to be understood.

I don't want to understand this at all. Even in the best interpretation of this line I'm imagining grown men in diapers like in that yakuza kiwami 2 scene.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope more than anything people learn to be more respectful towards them and their culture. It's really disappointing to see them being mocked even on forums like this one. So they're into something you're not, big deal.

This. Please be respectful.

The actual costumes themselves are quite intricate as well, granted I have only seen one set a few years ago. Being a fan of Ratchet & Clank introduced me into learning of the existence of furries, though I never went further than that (sorry).

Oct 25, 2017
This forum mocks anything they think is weird but gets super defensive when you call out the negative aspects of their culture.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP and there is one line about babyfur that creeped me the fuck out.

I'm all for consenting adults doing whatever they want as long as they're not hurting anybody, but that brief description is disturbing.

I'm guessing you have also never heard of baby-girl Daddy Dom either?

Typically its a kink and ALL kinks are between consenting Adults.