• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how its becoming more out there. I got dudes showing me pics of them in their fur costume at work. Like dude you wouldn't show me a pic of you in some BDSM outfit get that shit outta my face.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved a dateline NBC special on this

"children are calling them furries. But these aren't like the mcflurries you can get at McDonald's. Stick around after the break to find out more"

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean like, nothing wrong with jerking it and stuff to anthro shit. One of my best pals is a furry and it literallyjust comes down to him getting off to furry shit. It's a kink thing so whatever.

Also that babyfur is actually gonna be a no from me.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched a video about these people last night, so strange. Pretty sure my roommate is a furry too...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm guessing you have also never heard of baby-girl Daddy Dom either?

Typically its a kink and ALL kinks are between consenting Adults.
As long as no kids are involved and this activity stays between consenting adults, as I said, I have no issues. But that's a really really shitty description in the CNN article, providing really vague and shaky context.

Is this the case? Or does typically mean that sometimes there are pedos involved?

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP and when I got to "babyfurs" decided this need not my understanding

Thats cool if you want to be ignorant of things.

As long as no kids are involved and this activity stays between consenting adults, as I said, I have no issues. But that's a really really shitty description in the CNN article, providing really vague and shaky context.

I don't think there has been any wide spread child endangerment in the furry community.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how its becoming more out there. I got dudes showing me pics of them in their fur costume at work. Like dude you wouldn't show me a pic of you in some BDSM outfit get that shit outta my face.
It's almost as if fursuits are not necessarily used for sexual purposes. Many suiters specifically avoid doing anything of that nature when wearing a fursuit, and really just want to run around and be all cute.

Furry is not necessarily a kink. It is for some, sure, and that's fine. But it isn't inherently sexual.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thats cool if you want to be ignorant of things.

I don't think there has been any wide spread child endangerment in the furry community.
So.. there are cases where children are being abused in these communities? "Typically" and not "wide spread" aren't exactly instilling a whole lot of confidence. I am asking because I know nothing about these communities and genuinely want to know.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely seems like babyfurs generally aren't welcome in furry communities, so it was a bad move on CNN's part to lump them in. It'd be like if they mentioned the Nazi furries without also mentioning that furries have done a lot more to reject Nazis and the alt right than most communities.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i think im fine with being ignorant of whatever fantasies entail "young or childlike characters."
Exploration of fantasy through, well, fantasy is far better than actually pursuing the real thing, isn't it? I'm not going to call someone a freak for doing things safely with other consenting adults. I might think it's weird, but there's no good reason to shame someone for it. Let people be.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking something else for Milfur. I still do not understand the culture but whatever makes them happy.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
So if it's not sexual, yet a self-described furry is in this thread saying it's a kink, what is it?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
You know what, yeah.

Maybe we are too harsh and judgemental. Maybe we shouldn't judge other people for being different or not fitting to our expected social preference. After all, are we not all unique?

Are we not all worthy of respect?

So I, for one, am willing to expand my horizons, and try to understand a culture I'm not familiar with, just a little bit more--

• A "babyfur" is interested in age play and young or childlike characters.

Oh wait, never mind, it's just more "technically legal" peado shit claiming to be oppressed.

Obviously I expect there's many furries on this forum who don't like that sort of thing and I have absolutely nothing against you, but the article seems to be defending the ones who are into it, whatever percentage they actually make up.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So.. there are cases where children are being abused in these communities? "Typically" and not "wide spread" aren't exactly instilling a whole lot of confidence.

Because I'm not a furry so I don't know exactly and I don't have any actual data but I do know I haven't read anything on it.

But I mean you can just let your imagination get the better of you here and think its this huge issue because you saw a simple bullet point about babfurs on a CNN article.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Just so we're clear, babyfurs are just adults roleplaying as baby animals. Kinda like how some adults role-play as babies in diapers. Sure, a lot of people will see it as weird, but that CNN description is poorly phrased.

And just like with virtually any other group, you all should get to know some of these people before judging them and their culture.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So if it's not sexual, yet a self-described furry is in this thread saying it's a kink, what is it?
It's different from person to person. For one person, it may be explicitly safe-for-work. For another, it may be mostly sexual. For others still, it may be both. But people saying furry is always 100% one or the other no matter the person are just wrong. It isn't inherently sexual.

It's no different than any other fandom.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because I'm not a furry so I don't know exactly and I don't have any actual data but I do know I haven't read anything on it.

But I mean you can just let your imagination get the better of you here and think its this huge issue because you saw a simple bullet point about babfurs on a CNN article.
I edited my post before you replied and said I don't know anything about these communities and genuinely want to know. That said, no, I don't feel comfortable in researching the history of "babyfur". Was hoping that somebody else already had the knowledge.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I edited my post before you replied and said I don't know anything about these communities and genuinely want to know. That said, no, I don't feel comfortable in researching the history of "babyfur". Was hoping that somebody else already had the knowledge.

Many of others have stated that it's not sexual in nature (it can be) but it's not always the case and its with consenting adults whether it is sexual for them or not.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"Demographically, it's mostly white. They tend to be sort of middle class and they tend to be what you think of as nerds," says MacEwan University instructor Dr. Courtney Plante, who runs the study along with researchers at Niagara County Community College, Texas A&M University and other universities.
The project's website says more than 75% of furries are under age 25 and about a third identify as "exclusively heterosexual."

An overwhelming percentage, 84%, identify as male.
A female artist in the community who calls herself InkTiger says the mostly male fandom hasn't been a big problem for her. "There's some sexism in the fandom, as there is in any other part of society. I don't think it's any more pronounced in furry than anywhere else."

I feel like there's a lot to mine here but CNN just didn't do it.

"Not any more sexism than any other fandom" isn't a comforting statement because as we've come to learn, there is a lot of sexism in other fandoms so not being worse than that could still be a very far cry from 'good.' A single pulled quote doesn't fill me with confidence at those stated gender ratios.
That people are largely roleplaying in these communities might temporarily blunt the effects of the rampant 'white, straight boys only' club mentality of gaming/sci-fi/geeky miscellany, is there actually more LGBT acceptance in the furry community or is it all part of the roleplay to act like there is? Again there's no real exploration of this by CNN.

This article just feels so dang superficial. "This community comprises a broad demographic" might be informative to my grandmother. But maybe in 2018 dig deeper. :/