• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Exploration of fantasy through, well, fantasy is far better than actually pursuing the real thing, isn't it? I'm not going to call someone a freak for doing things safely with other consenting adults. I might think it's weird, but there's no good reason to shame someone for it. Let people be.

thanks now its gone from babyfurs beings "absolutely terrible" to only "slightly less absolutely terrible"

I guess the movie Co Co was a no go for you then. It had a kid in it, in a fantasy.

you might want to watch Wizard of Oz, I heard there's a Strawman in it

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bouncing from this thread before my blood pressure gets any worse.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If only people could understand that not everyone thinks about sex in ihe furry comunity.

Yes it's a point for the majority (Or at least I think so) but hey everybody has a fetich.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exploration of fantasy through, well, fantasy is far better than actually pursuing the real thing, isn't it? I'm not going to call someone a freak for doing things safely with other consenting adults. I might think it's weird, but there's no good reason to shame someone for it. Let people be.

Oh oh. Lolis are also not real mate. Just fantasy. Nowi from Fire Emblem is 1000 years old so everything is fine. :P

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's a lot to mine here but CNN just didn't do it.

"Not any more sexism than any other fandom" isn't a comforting statement because as we've come to learn, there is a lot of sexism in other fandoms so not being worse than that could still be a very far cry from 'good.' A single pulled quote doesn't fill me with confidence at those stated gender ratios.
That people are largely roleplaying in these communities might temporarily blunt the effects of the rampant 'white, straight boys only' club mentality of gaming/sci-fi/geeky miscellany, is there actually more LGBT acceptance in the furry community or is it all part of the roleplay to act like there is? Again there's no real exploration of this by CNN.

This article just feels so dang superficial. "This community comprises a broad demographic" might be informative to my grandmother. But maybe in 2018 dig deeper. :/

Do you actually give a shit? They wrote a brief article for people to gawk at, nothing more.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

"Not any more sexism than any other fandom" isn't a comforting statement because as we've come to learn, there is a lot of sexism in other fandoms so not being worse than that could still be a very far cry from 'good.' A single pulled quote doesn't fill me with confidence at those stated gender ratios.
That people are largely roleplaying in these communities might temporarily blunt the effects of the rampant 'white, straight boys only' club mentality of gaming/sci-fi/geeky miscellany, is there actually more LGBT acceptance in the furry community or is it all part of the roleplay to act like there is? Again there's no real exploration of this by CNN.

This article just feels so dang superficial. "This community comprises a broad demographic" might be informative to my grandmother. But maybe in 2018 dig deeper. :/
This is the part that made me raise my eyebrows more than any of the sex stuff

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think you're simplifying it a bit, considering that alone wouldn't explain why it coined the term "yiff".
I'm not simplifying anything.

I'm a member of the fandom. None of the sexual aspects do anything for me, and I'm not a minority on that either.

If you want to sit here and tell me otherwise because you've got preconceived notions, you can continue wasting both of our time.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
ij4k6inxwyx11.png
LMAO

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Surely this time one of these threads will go well. Right?

can't wait for the shitshow

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Theres really not much to understand. They're people who find comfort in other things not mainstream.

Whatever floats their boats. As long as they are not hurting, deceiving, manipulating or breaking any reasonable laws, go at it.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely sexual. It became anche Easy way for people with difficulties in socializing ti find people like them. Simple as that.
Except when it's not and it's just about people liking cartoon animals and stuff, or drawing non-sexual art (yes, much of the art out there is sexual, but there's lots that's not as well). For many it is a fetish, and that's fine. But that doesn't describe the entire furry community. It's not just any one thing like that.

Well, I think you're simplifying it a bit, considering that alone wouldn't explain why it coined the term "yiff".
Not really, if anyone's doing the simplifying, it's you, painting with broad strokes. Not all furries care about "yiffing" or even using any of that lingo or stuff like that at all, nevermind actually making it sexual in any way. It's quite possible to be a furry and not be into any of that, and just be there and go to furry conventions and stuff just because you like cartoon animals and stuff or because you like the costumes and want to see what people come up with, just to meet other people and hang out, and all kinds of other reasons like that. Implying otherwise, and it's all the same for everyone who considers themselves a furry, is what would be simplifying the situation.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, 84%? I actually thought it was a lot more even.
Yeah I just read the article to try and have a more open mind about this, and I did learn things, but in my mind the Furry fandom seemed more equal than that, maybe 60-40 at most, but not like 85% male.

This quote about going mainstream did get me:
"I don't think it will ever become mainstream, because it's an unusual hobby to have. But I think as time goes on, it will be normalized in the way 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars' fans became normalized, in the way 'Lord of the Rings' fans became normalized."
I don't see it happening tbh, not even close.
But who knows?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
i am sure "not all furries" are in it for sexual purposes
But I follow a few friends who are definitely furries and pretty much every other post is something lewd/erotic.

I have also found they are often super nice/inclusive people.

So yeah, I am sure a lot of furries don't do it for sexual gratification/arousal. People join groups and subcultures for all sorts of reasons.
But it is also, undoubtedly a super horny kinky community lol

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I've had several furry friends, and I've met several in the course of my work... Most you couldn't tell unless they were "openly" furry (wearing tails/ears every day in public). For most it seemed like an after work/weekend affair with a lot of time being spent online where they could act out their desires in safe spaces.

My friends were very accomodating, and I tried hanging out on their communities when I was in highschool/college from time to time but just couldn't get into it. And no, I'm not talking about the sexual angles, there are plenty of places online where we'd just hang out. Game lobbies, etc, nothing perverse (something a lot of people seem to forget, 95-99% of the time furries aren't acting like animals for sexual reasons)

Even the ones that do do it for sexual gratification... man I don't care. Consenting adults are free to express themselves anyway they want as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Admittedly the age play in OP is a worrying sign, but that wasn't at all common in any of the groups I participated with, and I can't imagine any of my friends putting up with anything like that.

So yeah, I am sure a lot of furries don't do it for sexual gratification/arousal. People join groups and subcultures for all sorts of reasons.
But it is also, undoubtedly a super horny kinky community lol

I mean, you could say the same thing for a lot of sub cultures. Punk, goth, anime, etc... especially anything that has a large teenaged sector of their community as these kind of sub-cultures are how they express themselves in generally repressed environments.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The furry community made an active and by all accounts successful effort to root out Nazis and alt-righters from major meet ups and make them unwelcome, which is more than I can say for most communities.
Meanwhile we've got no shortage of gamers who insist on trying to understand and sympathize with the fuckers because "that could've been me."

Who knew that people who inundate themselves in Allied Power WWII games would be less willing to punch Nazis than the people who wear dog costumes at conventions?

collige

Oct 31, 2017

The statements wasn't "Not any more sexism than any other fandom", it was "Not any more sexism than any other part of society". That's more than a semantic difference.

I do agree that the article is extremely superficial though.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The furry community made an active and by all accounts successful effort to root out Nazis and alt-righters from major meet ups and make them unwelcome, which is more than I can say for most communities.
That's good. I just dont buy that any community that is predominantly the white middle class nerdy nude demographic isnt more likely to be racist.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
furries don't bother me. some parts of the culture seems yiek but that's probably because the group as a whole is already so marginalized.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not simplifying anything.

I'm a member of the fandom. None of the sexual aspects do anything for me, and I'm not a minority on that either.

If you want to sit here and tell me otherwise because you've got preconceived notions, you can continue wasting both of our time.
No, you're right, you would know more.

Do you have any citations on the % of those in the fandom for sexual reasons vs non-sexual reasons? You are 100% right, we shouldn't simplify, we should use stats and statistics.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually give a shit? They wrote a brief article for people to gawk at, nothing more.
I do. Otherwise I wouldn't really be in this thread at all.

A community like furries is frequently misunderstood in the mainstream and even within other communities that started out as misunderstood. "Geek" is synonymous with being misunderstood and eccentric. So if I've internalized any of those misunderstandings it would be nice if a journalistic outlet could do more to help dislodge them, and given that they talked to sociologists about the phenomenon I'd hope that the demographics would at least shed some light as to what's going on underneath all the anecdotes they've pulled from the members they got in contact with.

I'm especially interested in the quality of the community. I have no patience for the "I don't see color" and "keep politics out of my [insert hobby here]" bullshit from people who like the things that I like (comics, video games, films, etc) and was curious about how prevalent that is within the furry community. Is it even possible in 2018 that one very specific community out of the many dozens I've seen is actually immunized against that bullshit, or do patterns repeat?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I feel comfortable saying that there is something deeply wrong with fantasizing you are having sex with a baby or child while having sex with an adult.

That shouldn't be the immediate implication that people take away from the furry community. As far as I understand, that doesn't have anything to do with babyfurs either, based off of the things that were told to me by people who are part of the community, and not people making snap judgments based on a poorly phrased bullet point.

It's really hard for me to accept that most people in this thread are arguing in good faith when they openly admit to not doing due diligence in researching the matter.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I like anthropomorphized animal characters and am not ashamed at all. Not in a sexual way –I just like how they look and sometimes incorporate animal behavior and posture and the human form– but it also doesn't seem that crazy to me. Most women I've talked to think Disney's Robin Hood fox and the Beast from Beauty and the Beast have swag, for example. As an artist who follows other artists online, I've also seen a lot of incredibly talented people who do furry art. What they do or don't do in the bedroom means next to nothing to me.

Honestly, I do personally find the costumes off-putting (not really a fan of mascot costumes in general), but I also never have to wear them, see them, seek them out, or go to furry conventions, so that's an easy fix for my problem.