• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/health/juul-flavor-social-media-fda-bn/index.html

The CEO of e-cigarette maker Juul announced plans Tuesday to eliminate some of its social media accounts and halt most retail sales of flavor products as part of a plan to restrict access to minors. The plan came in response to the US Food and Drug Administration's September announcement that it would investigate major e-cigarette makers and review their sales and marketing practices.
"Our intent was never to have youth use JUUL," Kevin Burns wrote in the Tuesday statement that outlined an action plan divided into four key areas: flavors, retail stores, social media and the future.

Additionally, the company vowed to stop selling most flavored Juul pods to all 90,000-plus retail stores, including convenience stores and vape shops, while restricting flavor sales to adults 21 and older on its secure website. Juul will also continue enforcement against unauthorized sales in other online marketplaces.
Going forward, Burns said, the company will develop technology to ensure that retailers comply with age requirements and restrict access to its products.
The company is "committed to improving the lives of the world's one billion adult smokers, with the ultimate goal of eliminating cigarettes," Burns said. "We don't want anyone who doesn't smoke, or already use nicotine, to use JUUL products. We certainly don't want youth using the product."

I hope this doesn't mean cig smoke everywhere outdoors again.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sorry but I'll take vape smoke over cigg smoke from passerbys any day of the fucking week. I don't smoke but I hate walking downwind of someone w/ a cigarette. Vapes and Cigars don't bother me but ciggs? They smell fucking terrible.

I have a coworker that smokes and every time he comes back from a break he smells up the room with that nasty shit.

#keepvaping

As for kids? Kids smoke. Kids always smoked. Kids gonna keep smoking. Sure, never go full Joe Camel but teenagers smoking doesn't shock me.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
If a kid wants to vape they are going to get a vape. I'm not sure why juul deserves to be uniquely blamed just because they are a popular product.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like their expansion plans

went up in smoke

horatio_caruso_-_csi_miami.gif

If a kid wants to vape they are going to get a vape. I'm not sure why juul deserves to be uniquely blamed just because they are a popular product.

The plan came in response to the US Food and Drug Administration's September announcement that it would investigate major e-cigarette makers and review their sales and marketing practices.

Did you miss this in the OP? Bolded.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Good, vaping is huge with kids now as far as I can tell.
Seems like a proactive move on their part to reduce underage use. They are just getting ahead of the inevitable federal mandates.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but I'll take vape smoke over cigg smoke from passerbys any day of the fucking week. I don't smoke but I hate walking downwind of someone w/ a cigarette. Vapes and Cigars don't bother me but ciggs? They smell fucking terrible.

I have a coworker that smokes and every time he comes back from a break he smells up the room with that nasty shit.

#keepvaping

The problem is that public health officials did a great job and lowered teen smoking rates.

And then JUUL came along and got a ton of kids addicted to nicotine who would not have been smokers due to the successful public health campaign.

Good on the FDA.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Good. I am shocked by the number of "kids" that i pick up that vape these things. Just like cigs being cool forever, these are the "it" thing for adolescents. Being a Lyft driver was the only way I even knew these existed, and once I saw them once, all of a sudden they were EVERYWHERE.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017

#keepvaping

As for kids? Kids smoke. Kids always smoked. Kids gonna keep smoking. Sure, never go full Joe Camel but teenagers smoking doesn't shock me.

From what I understand Juul uses waaaay too much Nicotine and is hella overpriced.

Would rather kids vape low/no nicotine alternatives. Local vape shops should be able to hook them up for much cheaper.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

#keepvaping

Personally, I find vape smoke to be more offensive than cigarette smoke is mainly for the fact that it looks like you just walked into a patch of fog after someone exales with a vape pen.

But, whatever. If you're 18, you do you.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area

#keepvaping

Smoking cigarettes isn't exactly easy to start, u give em this candy flavored stuff that's 1000000x less harsh than traditional cigarettes and they get hooked fast

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Good now make that shit illegal to smoke in places like the cigarettes. Hate going to theme parks and other family outings and see people huffing and puffing big old vape smoke.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When do we get cool commercials trying to get people to stop vaping like we did cigarettes?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly: good. I see Juul pods fucking everywhere nowadays, where there would be cigarette filters before. I can only imagine how many of those stupid disposable pods are piling up in landfills right now.

Disposable vape cartridges should be illegal.

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I know 3 non smokers who juul (it's a verb now fuck it) vs the 2 people who switch from cigs to this.

From what I heard from them, 1 juul pod is a cig pack worth of nicotine. Never looked into but yikes if that is accurate.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Receipts?

Teenagers being irreverent with their health and doing dumb shit like smoking is as old as time. Nothing new.

I'm indifferent regarding JUUL. As long as adults have a way to obtain vape devices kids will get their hands on them.
smoking has gone down among young people. smoking isn't cool anymore because everyone knows it's bad for you and smells bad

which is why juuls are so successful

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I was gifted a Juul and about 20 carts by a friend of mine. Her 12 year old kid was selling them in school and got busted. I then gave them to a friend of mine who's still smoking

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts?

Teenagers being irreverent with their health and doing dumb shit like smoking is as old as time. Nothing new.

I'm indifferent regarding JUUL. As long as adults have a way to obtain vape devices kids will get their hands on them.

88e7ff14-a59e-4071-akdeyu.jpeg

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolescent-development/substance-use/drugs/tobacco/trends/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6722a3.htm?s_cid=mm6722a3_w

JUUL wasn't introduced until 2015.

E-cigarette use went from 1.5 percent for children/teens in 2011 to 11.7 percent in 2017. Mostly due to flavored products.

• Flavorings in tobacco products can make them more appealing to youth.3
    • In 2014, 73% of high school students and 56% of middle school students who used tobacco products in the past 30 days reported using a flavored tobacco product during that time.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/youth_data/tobacco_use/index.htm

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

#keepvaping

I'll take neither. While I do agree that vaping is great for harm reduction over smoking, before any regulations were passed, vapers used it as an example to do whatever the fuck they pleased in public spaces.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I am shocked by the number of "kids" that i pick up that vape these things. Just like cigs being cool forever, these are the "it" thing for adolescents. Being a Lyft driver was the only way I even knew these existed, and once I saw them once, all of a sudden they were EVERYWHERE.
I learned this from being an Uber driver and from seeing a fast switch on construction sites.

In construction, I'd estimate 50%+ of workers smoke in some form. Many of the older workers still take their smoke breaks, but the younger generation 18 to 35 or so have rapidly switched over to using some form of e-Cig in the last two years. I think it is because they can really hide it pretty well even when working inside.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be noted that part of why vaping's huge is because it's marketed as the "safe" way to smoke.

Kids still think smoking is cool, but don't want to deal with getting addicted to nicotine. JUUL and other e-cigs are specifically geared as being that alternative.
Yup. which is why they should be shut down, and why Mammoth's claims that they werent "going full Joe Camel" are rediculous.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whod've thunk that not regulating an addictive product would lead to a bunch of kids getting addicted to it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
smoking has gone down among young people. smoking isn't cool anymore because everyone knows it's bad for you and smells bad

which is why juuls are so successful

It needs to be noted that part of why vaping's huge is because it's marketed as the "safe" way to smoke.

Kids still think smoking is cool, but don't want to deal with getting addicted to nicotine. JUUL and other e-cigs are specifically geared as being that alternative.

Yep, and the insidious part of Juul- which is the most popular, easiest to conciel- is that it has so much niccotine, which makes it addictive. At least with a pack of ciggarettes, you know when you have smoked a whole pack, and a pack of Cigs is going to run you anywhere from $6-$12, depending on where you live. Meanwhile, a pack of Juul pods is going to cost you $15 or so, and has as much niccotine as 4 packs of cigarettes. Kids are getting addicted to Juul without even realizing it, because they think it's "healthy" when compared to cigs

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
vaping started really becoming popular in like 2010-2014

thats when i noticed kids in my highshool buying those vapes/e-cigs

to blame one company, like JUUL, on the vaping trend is pretty funny, since kids have been doing it for more than a decade.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
vaping started really becoming popular in like 2010-2013

to blame one company, like JUUL, on the vaping trend is pretty funny, since kids have been doing it for more than a decade.

This is the second time someone has posted in here commenting on JUUL by saying they've been scapegoated unfairly. And yet, the story itself says they are investigating all e-cig companies. So why exactly do you think they're being targeted unfairly?

Juul represents a bit over 70 percent of the e-cigarette market as of September 2018. If you're going to focus on decreasing it now, they're the focus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/juul-e-cigarette-dominates-market-fears-parents-205001335.html

This too.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
vaping started really becoming popular in like 2010-2013

Juul represents a bit over 70 percent of the e-cigarette market as of September 2018. If you're going to focus on decreasing it now, they're the focus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/juul-e-cigarette-dominates-market-fears-parents-205001335.html

This is the second time someone has posted in here commenting on JUUL by saying they've been scapegoated unfairly. And yet, the story itself says they are investigating all e-cig companies. So why exactly do you think they're being targeted unfairly?

This is better than my post.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit late when you already got a bunch of kids addicted to your shit.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't it more they don't want to inhale actual smoke more so than being addicted to nicotine? Cus JUUL is crammed with it.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I don't see why they have to pull them from convenience stores/gas stations, every one I go to has them behind the counter(just like regular cigarettes) and requires a photo ID to purchase them(just like regular cigarettes). I get they are trying to keep them from kids, but I'm not so sure that kids are easily getting them from the Chevron or whatever.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure how only selling flavors on the internet is going to prevent kids from getting them.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts?

People usually form the habit of smoking when they are young. People who don't smoke in their teenage years are far less likely to start smoking when they grow older. Anything that increases the chances of young people becoming addicted to smoking is a bad thing.

Your attitude of "they've always done it, so who cares now" is pretty dumb, to be frank. The numbers have been going down significantly, even halved within certain demographics from a decade or so ago. The only numbers that are going up among middle schoolers & up is vaping. Vaping has a danger of making smoking more attractive & accepted again, which isn't a good thing when we've been making good progress in getting less and less teenagers to smoke.

I'm not really sure how only selling flavors on the internet is going to prevent kids from getting them.
If one needs a credit/debit card or such, it can affect a lot of kids' ability to purchase them. The younger someone is, the less likely they will have one.