• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is an advocate for noble causes until the perpetrator is one of their friends.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Gaga is a well known fraud. It's something we've been talking about since she ignored the bad press that leaked bits of the DWUW video got in 2014, then went on to do a whole publicity tour on sexual assault in like 2016. She's a fake and a demon.

A demon? No, a demon is the person raping people.

Jesus, could we not bring hyperbolic PopGAF-esque crap into a serious topic?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Hollywood should and has condemned as a whole. Why are we making individual checklists of who has and needs to speak out on any given situation? Seems very self-serving to demand a celeb acquiesce to demands of outrage and apology

Then why should the music industry not be condemned when they're doing the same things?

Why wouldn't the public be upset about the activities R. Kelly's done or ok with Lady Gaga normalising R. Kelly and helping him stay relevant? What's the difference between R. Kelly and Roman Polanski?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Sexually predatory people are masters at manipulating, are we going to label Jay z, Celine Dion, Britney etc. demons?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
uncelestial Curious if the song in the OP is gross because it's R Kelly singing it or another reason?

Obviously he's gross, a predator, a criminal, should be in prison, etc... but I just watched that video you linked and the song wasn't any grosser than any other pop song from the past 30 years.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
funny how people would probably berate Nicki over working with 6ix9ine etc but give Gaga a pass

wonder what the difference is

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Condemning R. Kelley has to be the easiest thing to do in the world, wtf.

its actually not for her. she received criticism for working with him in 2013 and in the following years, continued to do performances with him, and filmed a video that basically advocated rape. she's dug a deep hole and didn't apologize for any of it when it was common sense then, and even more glaring now. apologizing makes her look like a giant hypocrite (which she is).

Nov 13, 2017
This entire thing was started by a group of Anti-Gaga fans on Twitter.

When pics of Rihanna wearing R. Kelly merch surfaced this week, not a single thing happened. And no one is saying anything about the men who collared with him.

I don't any of these people actually care about Gaga condemning him. It's all petty Twitter stan war b.s.

EDIT: It's about more than just a shirt. Search "cancel Rihanna" on Twitter to see the conversation taking place. There's a lot of faux outrage against Gaga because she's back in the spotlight and having a moment again. People are being incredibly disingenuous about their care for any of the abuse survivors and are using it as an excuse to instigate childish fandom wars.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018
Then why should the music industry not be condemned when they're doing the same things?

Why wouldn't the public be upset about the activities R. Kelly's done or ok with Lady Gaga normalising R. Kelly and helping him stay relevant? What's the difference between R. Kelly and Roman Polanski?
Wait, seems you're twisting things a bit. Never did I say the public shouldn't be outraged by R. KELLY'S behavior. I'm just not in agreement with the public DEMANDING an apology or statement from Lady Gaga on HIS situation.

And how do we know artists that have worked with R. Kelly in the past don't have to sign some sort of NDA or gag order? He may be a disgusting perv, but he seems cunning and controlling as fuck.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uncelestial Curious if the song in the OP is gross because it's R Kelly singing it or another reason?

Obviously he's gross, a predator, a criminal, should be in prison, etc... but I just watched that video you linked and the song wasn't any grosser than any other pop song from the past 30 years.
It's gross because R Kelly's dirty laundry was already all out there, and she goes ahead and makes a song/performance with him where she sings "do what you want with my body" over and over while engaging in sexual positions with him. It was just completely wrong. Then she made a video (which was directed by another sexual predator) which her label deemed so problematic that they didn't even release it.

Add the fact that she followed this with a campaign pretending she was a champion for sexual assaults victims, while at the same time refusing to condemn R Kelly and even defending him, and it all adds up to paint a really gross picture.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

When pics of Rihanna wearing R. Kelly merch surfaced this week, not a single thing happened. And no one is saying anything about the men who collared with him.

I don't any of these people actually care about Gaga condemning him. It's all petty Twitter stan war b.s.
What difference does it make when she's made a whole persona crafted around caring for sexual assault survivors but refusing to speak on the multiple people she's worked with that HURT WOMEN?

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you serious? She has gone beyond just wearing an R Kelly tshirt. She's gone way farther to support him.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Wait, seems you're twisting things a bit. Never did I say the public shouldn't be outraged by R. KELLY'S behavior. I'm just not in agreement with the public DEMANDING an apology or statement from Lady Gaga on HIS situation.

And how do we know artists that have worked with R. Kelly in the past don't have to sign some sort of NDA or gag order? He may be a disgusting perv, but he seems cunning and controlling as fuck.

They shouldn't have to be demanding anything, it's ethically the right thing to do. Lady Gaga's spent a lot of time building up her credibility in the sort of issues so this being an exception people are going to be angry she's being a hypocrite. Whether the reasons for this are professional or personal in nature. This being professional, I'd give her some slack considering how bad the music industry is supposed to be behind the scenes - but personal. That's disappointing.

They shouldn't be working with R.Kelly in the first place. This is true.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

yeah wearing a t-shirt is equivalent to lining his wallet and letting him rape her in a music video and hump her on stage

Nov 13, 2017
What difference does it make when she's made a whole persona crafted around caring for sexual assault survivors but refusing to speak on the multiple people she's worked with that HURT WOMEN?

You called her a "demon" on the previous page. Given how you posted earlier, it's clear you have an axe to grind if you think this woman is some kind of biblical monster.

Are you serious? She has gone beyond just wearing an R Kelly tshirt. She's gone way farther to support him.

Do you have this same energy for R. Kelly himself, or any of the male artost that he's worked closely with?

The irony of you getting angry over Gaga working with Terry, meanwhile...

20131016-pictures-madonna-terry-richardson-harpers-bazaar-backstage-on-set.jpg

If she doesn't speak out, you'll hate her. If she does, you'll be the first saying "it's too Late she's cancelled!!"

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's gross because R Kelly's dirty laundry was already all out there, and she goes ahead and makes a song/performance with him where she sings "do what you want with my body" over and over while engaging in sexual positions with him. It was just completely wrong. Then she made a video (which was directed by another sexual predator) which her label deemed so problematic that they didn't even release it.

Add the fact that she followed this with a campaign pretending she was a champion for sexual assaults victims, while at the same time refusing to condemn R Kelly and even defending him, and it all adds up to paint a really gross picture.

Well yea I get that. That's what I said. The song isn't gross it's the dude singing it, and potentially also lady Gaga too based on her doing it with him in the first place and not distancing herself or condemnin him.

Just thought it was odd to specify that the duet is gross when it's a typical pop song, seemed out of place when there is a child rapist running around. Not exactly on topic so I won't engage anymore, just was curious about that line in the op.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
She didn't only singed for sexual assault survivors, she actually helps them. It's better than saying "I'm sorry" and doing nothing at all, or just don't say or do nothing like the other 100 artists who singed with him.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You called her a "demon" on the previous page. Given how you posted earlier, it's clear you have an axe to grind if you think this woman is some kind of biblical monster.

Do you have this same energy for R. Kelly himself, or any of the male artost that he's worked closely with?

If she doesn't speak out, you'll hate her. If she does, you'll be the first saying "it's too Late she's cancelled!!"
Lmfaoooo

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes I do.

And Madonna is also trash, but at least she hasn't released an entire ass book with Terry Richardson, or hasn't worked with him on music videos. She worked on him for one magazine photoshoot. She definitely needs to condemn him. Don't play these "well why isn't ____ condemning ___!!!!!!!" games.

Nov 13, 2017
I added this edit to my post above for clarification:

It's about more than just a shirt. Search "cancel Rihanna" on Twitter to see the conversation taking place. There's a lot of faux outrage against Gaga because she's back in the spotlight and having a moment again. People are being incredibly disingenuous about their care for any of the abuse survivors and are using it as an excuse to instigate childish fandom wars.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
yeah wearing a t-shirt is equivalent to lining his wallet and letting him rape her in a music video and hump her on stage

Support is support. Was she wearing that shirt after a video of Kelly pissing on a 14-year-old was known to exist? Yes.

You are playing favorites and trying to turn this into some sort of pop "stan" war under the guise of wanting to discuss topic at hand.

This is a serious topic. You two talking about Gaga being a "demon" and coming into the thread specifically to start some weird Nicki Minaj vs. Lady Gaga nonsense is a bit disingenuous.

And it really should be said that the basis for why you came into the thread doesn't make sense. You posted that people berated Nicki but Gaga is getting a "pass" ... in a thread about the backlash Gaga is now getting.

People defended Nicki and argued against her. People are defending Gaga and arguing against her (in the very thread you're in).

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shes an idiot. There's literally a tape of him pissing on a 14 year old. Anyone who isn't a complete fucking moron knew in the mid to late 2000s when he went on trial that he's a pedo creep. The only reason he was acquitted is because jurors are as dirt-stupid as Lady Gaga is. But who cares what Lady Gaga says about this or anything. Don't look to dipshit celebrities to be advocates or good people.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jay Z put out TWO albums with him when it was common knowledge what r kelly has been doing. This is all very old news in the music industry. It's just that this documentary is shedding so much light on it now, YEARS after the fact

Jay Z also doest mind getting rough with girls.
https://youtu.be/IRy6ElxxylM

also take a look at how many celebs signed the Polanski petition.

Gaga may well be just another hypocrite

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When is the music industry going to go full #MeToo like hollywood

The reason this is finally happening to Kelly is because of the #MeToo movement.

But make no mistake, Hollywood has not gone "full #MeToo." There are still plenty of people in Hollywood who won't speak up. Hollywood is not fixed.

Edit: And rhandino makes a good point with Kesha. I'm sure plenty of women in the industry saw the hell she went through and think, "It's not worth speaking up. I don't want to go through that."

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming into this thread going "what about Rihanna??" adds nothing to the discussion. The reason Rihanna isn't getting this level of backlash isn't because of some anti GaGa twitter campaign. It's because Rihanna hasn't simultaneously supported both R Kelly and sexual abuse victims in the past. She didn't make a sexually charged song with R Kelly and perform it while letting R Kelly hump her. She didn't come to R Kelly's defense while also pushing the narrative that she is a champion for sexual assaults victims. That she has supported R Kelly, like so many others, is also gross but it doesn't take much to see why she isn't getting this level of press.

fake edit: god bless.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The real tea is that she tried as hard as possible to make something congruent with her shock jock shtick that her fans would eat up considering she'd already tapped the well dry doing stupid shit starting from the beginning of her career. She knew exactly who R Kelly is and what he was capable of.

Hopefully she doesn't contradict herself again in the future.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Commentary
"If I could go back and talk to my younger self..."

Gaga pls, you are not getting that Oscar.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
She released a statement

Her commentary on the song itself is interesting. I always thought the song was dark (the album in general sort of was), and her live performances seemed troubled as well. (I seem to recall one awkward one at a piano.) I can believe how she describes her mental state at the time because it seemed like something was up, though I am also aware of how it's sometimes easy to find the words to defend one's self-image, whether they are 100% honest or not (I've regrettably done this when younger). I'm very curious what the label was thinking at the time.

Removing the song from online platforms is an unexpected move. I also find it interesting that she references another song she wrote on the subject.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Her commentary on the song itself is interesting. I always thought the song was dark (the album in general sort of was), and her live performances were troubling as well. (I seem to recall one awkward one at a piano.) I actually buy how she describes her mental state at the time because it seemed like something was up, though I am also aware of how it's sometimes easy to find the words to defend our self-image, whether they are 100% honest or not (I've done this). I'm very curious what the label was thinking at the time.

Removing the song from online platforms is an unexpected move. I also find it interesting that she references another song she wrote on the subject.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that. I would say she should just replace it with the Christina version but she might want to just disassociate from the song completely at this point.

Nov 13, 2017
Her commentary on the song itself is interesting. I always thought the song was dark (the album in general sort of was), and her live performances were troubling as well. (I seem to recall one awkward one at a piano.) I actually buy how she describes her mental state at the time because it seemed like something was up, though I am also aware of how it's sometimes easy to find the words to defend our self-image, whether they are 100% honest or not (I've done this). I'm very curious what the label was thinking at the time.

Removing the song from online platforms is an unexpected move.
That album era was definitely the lowest in her career and the entire public pretty much collectively hated her when that album came out.

She took full responsibility for her actions, didn't shift the blame on to anyone else, acknowledged that what she did wasn't right, and has since/will continue to take action to rectify it. Exactly how an apology should be.