• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
2019. The year where more people than ever think the world is flat, vaccines cause autism and potentially the stupidest person ever to hold a public office is running the country.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
In under 20 years, the US has gone from declaring measles eradicated to the verge of a massive outbreak. Incredible.

Antivaxxers will kill so many people.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly. If you made the conscious decision not to vaccinate your children (and there are no mitigating circumstances) and your child becomes ill as a result of that, you should be charged with child endangerment or gross negligence of parental responsibility.

Agreed 100%. It's time to make these vaccinations a requirement. Anti-vaxxers are a threat to public health and safety, and they put their own children in harm's way for no good reason.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many antivaxxers are moving away from the autism argument and instead are clinging onto "vaccine injured" language. Which I guess vaccine injury actually has a super small occurrence rate and a government fund to deal with it, but antivaxxers are jumping on it like it's an epidemic.

The last FB thread I saw these idiots arguing in, all of them were clamouring about how they all had a child that was now "vaccined injured"(which is like 1 out of a million, lul). Gimme a break.

Oct 25, 2017
No I know that, but any evidence that it means you are not immune? I know standard is to redo the series / boost if your titers are negative, but it was my understanding that this probably isn't the best way to determine immunity or not, it's just all we have

Well, your immune system may be strong enough to fight off the infection, but it wouldn't have specific antibodies to target the infection quickly. We know how antibodies work. There is lots of evidence behind that. What are you referencing?

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
As the parent of a child with autism I will never not be absolutely disgusted by the way autism is looked at by the antivax community

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
Well, your immune system may be strong enough to fight off the infection, but it wouldn't have specific antibodies to target the infection quickly. We know how antibodies work. There is lots of evidence behind that. What are you referencing?

Eh I'm a pediatrician, going off of what an infectious disease doctor told me. I did a dive into the literature and seems like there's just not a whole lot we know about it. Obviously immunity is more complicated than just antibodies, but we're also not really exposed to these diseases much anymore, so *shrug*, although that's changing I guess.

There are definitely some people who don't express hep b surface antigen antibodies, but are immune against infection. That's a disease that's still around and there's a high rate of non responders.

That being said, if I ever test negative for titers, I'd redo the series