• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Didn't want to risk a ban in the original thread for calling the initial report very suspicious, but yeah it didn't really add up. The fact a couple white dudes were walking around downtown Chicago at night with a bottle of bleach and a rope looking to commit a hate crime and recognized a guy from a TV show that they likely wouldnt be watching on principle just sounded... well... fishy lol
See due to the death threat letter I didn't think it was fishy, just premeditated.

It was premeditated alright, and apparently rehearsed.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed strange, but there's been stalkers that have done weirder stuff

Yeah no doubt, crazier stuff has definitely happened. It was just that reading the allegations and then playing out the scenario in your mind just made it seem extremely coincidental and a couple leaps of logic were necessary for it to make sense. Hopefully we'll get more facts soon

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't want to risk a ban in the original thread for calling the initial report very suspicious, but yeah it didn't really add up. The fact a couple white dudes were walking around downtown Chicago at night with a bottle of bleach and a rope looking to commit a hate crime and recognized a guy from a TV show that they likely wouldnt be watching on principle just sounded... well... fishy lol
I think people are taking the wrong lessons from this.

I thought it was iffy at first too. In fact, I believed there is absolutely no way what he is saying wasn't a total fabrication. In the original thread I posted something to the effect of "I'm not saying he's lying, but this sounds like something a bad writer came up with". His account read as complete bullshit to me on day 1, but out of respect for real victims out there, I kept my doubts to myself. The real truth was going to come out eventually.

Here's the thing though, I don't regret not publicly saying what I thought sooner. It isn't my place to cast doubts on these matters. If someone is clearly lying like Jussie was, it's going to be uncovered anyways. Publicly doubting people who say they've been victims of a hate crime going forward is not what people should take from this.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.tmz.com/#!article/2019/02/19/jussie-smollett-empire-role-slashed-alleged-attack/

Jussie's no good very bad week continues with his role in Empire getting slashed down in the coming episodes.

So he IS being written out of the show.

Of course. It doesn't matter if they never originally had plans to fire him before this situation started. Now that it looks like he could potentially be ARRESTED and unable to film. So it makes sense for the show to be cutting his character down to the absolute minimum possible for the final episodes of the season and possibly off the show completely.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

I thought it was iffy at first too. In fact, I believed there is absolutely no way what he is saying wasn't a total fabrication. In the original thread I posted something to the effect of "I'm not saying he's lying, but this sounds like something a bad writer came up with". His account read as complete bullshit to me on day 1, but out of respect for real victims out there, I kept my doubts to myself. The real truth was going to come out eventually.

Here's the thing though, I don't regret not publicly saying what I thought sooner. It isn't my place to cast doubts on these matters. If someone is clearly lying like Jussie was, it's going to be uncovered anyways. Publicly doubting people who say they've been victims of a hate crime going forward is not what people should take from this.

Well said.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading that, I went from hoping he'd just lose his job on Empire to wanting him to lose all acting jobs and be imprisoned for a long time. He was willing to fuck over two innocent people to further his ruse. Fuck him.

That and his GMA interview get me... lying to millions of people so effortlessly. This guy isn't misguided, he's ruthless.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jussie Smollett's "Empire" screen time is getting slashed in the wake of a growing sentiment that he staged the so-called "attack."

Production sources tell TMZ ... Jussie was supposed to have 9 scenes and a big musical number in the second to the last episode -- which is being shot now -- but, 5 of his scenes have been cut, and his musical number has been 86'd.

As for the remaining 4 scenes ... we're told he's no longer the focus. The scene features an ensemble, meaning he's flanked by a number of cast members.

With his duties pared down, Jussie will be spending way less time on set. Instead of working every day this week, we're told Jussie's working Friday and possibly Thursday, and he won't be rehearsing.

https://www.tmz.com/#!article/2019/02/19/jussie-smollett-empire-role-slashed-alleged-attack/

Getting close to that "life comes at you fast" meme for the Empire directors.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Verdict still out on that but with the way this case is trending I'm half expecting them to find magazines with the letters matching the note cut out like on his coffee table at home during a search of his residence.
The magazines they confiscated from the brothers' apartment had missing pages. I assume, if they haven't already, will obtain a second copy of the magazines to compare. If the letters from the note match those on the missing pages, it's pretty obvious what transpired.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. Honestly, if you think a thing is fake, just don't comment, because those posts are going to be filled with emotions running high and tossing that bomb in there does nobody any good and there's not likely to be any productive conversation in the thread anyway given the topic. All anybody does by making the accusations is make the people who lash out in anger look like marks if something comes back false, or worse: making it look like every victim is one to be questioned.

A LOT of people in the last couple weeks of discussion made themselves out to look like toxic trash, all of which could've been avoided by just not saying anything, even if the story was less believable than Ellie's meteoric rise into pro Overwatch.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i mean at this point getting written off empire is the least of his worries, a LOT of police time has been spent on this and there are felony charges that can be used in Illinois to proceed with a criminal trial. He could be facing 10+ years of prison on multiple charges, and you don't get the idea that he is a criminal mastermind who has left behind no traces.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
i mean at this point getting written off empire is the least of his worries, a LOT of police time has been spent on this and there are felony charges that can be used in Illinois to proceed with a criminal trial. He could be facing 10+ years of prison on multiple charges, and you don't get the idea that he is a criminal mastermind who has left behind no traces.
Also those lawyers and PR firms he hired have to be expensive. He really fucked himself on multiple levels just because he was seeking attention.

Oct 31, 2017
Are you saying there shouldn't be an anti Lynching bill and that she somehow a guilty enabler in all this ? What's the purpose of this 'look on her face' messaging

Presumably because now she's saying wait for the facts whereas before she was quick to push it as the truth without waiting for the facts. She knows it too, hence the look on her face.

Anti lynching bill is good, but her behavior regarding this issue should be questioned.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Welp. That's a wrap.
Yep, that's all
Yup. Honestly, if you think a thing is fake, just don't comment, because those posts are going to be filled with emotions running high and tossing that bomb in there does nobody any good and there's not likely to be any productive conversation in the thread anyway given the topic. All anybody does by making the accusations is make the people who lash out in anger look like marks if something comes back false, or worse: making it look like every victim is one to be questioned.

A LOT of people in the last couple weeks of discussion made themselves out to look like toxic trash, all of which could've been avoided by just not saying anything, even if the story was less believable than Ellie's meteoric rise into pro Overwatch.
And if you think something like this is fake, you need something more than a vague notion of how something feels. Something "feeling fishy" is pretty much the response towards every real hate crime victim from racists, mysogonists, homophobes, etc.

On this case in particular I did notice people out there who thought it was fake, but their reasoning turned out to be completely wrong. Like some basing their suspicions on cameras not seeing the two men who alegedly did this to him. Two guys were clearly involved (and caught on camera)... just turns out that they were likely working with him :-P

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Saw this coming weeks ago. Story just did not add up from the start. It's sad too because this hurts real victims of racist and homophobic attacks when they approach the media for coverage.

There were also hella bans handed down here surrounding doubting the truth of this story, so that's a shame.
So this really is nothing more than an extension. I hoped things would be different.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I wasnt going to cast doubt while the accusations are fresh. I didn't even know who the victim was and it would have been in very poor taste, even downright disrespectful, to assume I had some idea of what could have happened. That didn't stop me from thinking the story through and seeing how similar it was to those "and everyone clapped" posts on reddit where everything lines up perfectly, like a well-thought-out but completely unrealistic scenario inside the narrators mind. I kept my doubts to myself as well, and I'm certainly not here to say "heh yeah I knew it all along" but there were warning signs from the beginning and I'm glad the police seemed to be able to find some (alleged) truth behind everything.

Anyway if its confirmed to be a crock of shit then I think this guy should do some jail time and be ridiculed for trying to co-opt victimhood when real people are suffering.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Presumably because now she's saying wait for the facts whereas before she was quick to push it as the truth without waiting for the facts. She knows it too, hence the look on her face.

Anti lynching bill is good, but her behavior regarding this issue should be questioned.

Why should it be questioned . Are you saying you shouldnt be believing victims unless facts come out which makes you proceed with caution. You are presenting alt right talking points

Oct 31, 2017
Why should it be questioned . Are you saying you shouldnt be believing victims unless facts come out which makes you proceed with caution. You are presenting alt right talking points

I'm saying we should believe all alleged cases and take all allegations with the seriousness it deserves, but wait for evidence before passing judgement. Are you saying we should castigate any accused person based on allegations without evidence?

Again, why did he do this? It just doesn't make any sense!

I know I ain't never heard about Jussie Smollett before this thing, so.....

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm saying we should believe all alleged cases and take all allegations with the seriousness it deserves, but wait for evidence before passing judgement. Are you saying we should castigate any accused person based on allegations without evidence?

I know I ain't never heard about Jussie Smollett before this thing, so.....

Keep talking. Jussie is a rare except, not the norm

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Again, why did he do this? It just doesn't make any sense!
Political reasons and probably to further his career. He seems to be rather proud of himself that he takes on trump and his administration and that's why he might be a target. At least that's the vibe his tone gave off in that GMA interview. Sounds more like a dude with a huge ego complex. Who doesn't attack "45" on Twitter? He wanted to stand out and now he does.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017

Not that I necessarily disagree with your post, but if a thread is not likely to be productive, what is the point in having a thread about an ongoing investigation in the first place? This is often why I stay out of these threads until hard facts are known. It doesn't help anyone to jump the gun in these discussions. I always believe that in these types situations,, the best course of action to take is to allow the process to play out before casting judgment.

With that said, in the context of a discussion, I also do not feel that asking questions is necessarily a bad thing. There were plenty of oddities in the Smollett case that could and likely should be questioned. In Smollett's defense (for what it's worth), he answered most (if not all) of these questions in his GMA interview.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The take away should be just because he faked this, it doesn't mean we should be looking for plot holes in future cases

This is just a high profile fuck up, though I feel calling it high profile would just feed into his ego

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Political reasons and probably to further his career. He seems to be rather proud of himself that he takes on trump and his administration and that's why he might be a target. At least that's the vibe his tone gave off in that GMA interview. Sounds more like a dude with a huge ego complex. Who doesn't attack "45" on Twitter? He wanted to stand out and now he does.

That's certainly something if true... It honestly just doesn't add up to me.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
He's not a rare exception. We should believe victims but people should still be innocent until proven guilty. It sets a dangerous precedent otherwise.

These statements are completely separated from what happened here

Jussie claimed he was attacked. Seeing lack of history of false claims and his peers saying he is good makes you isntnwly say yes we should believe he is a victim.

Kamala Harris was like everyone of the sane folks who said we should believe the victim because what Jussie claims has in fact happened in form of hate crime to many others. Him falsefying the story for sympathy IS AN EXCEPTION. You cannot claim it's the norm

The ones who believed Jussie at first including Kamala Harris cannot be faulted because hate like that has occurred and victims word especially with no history should be taken as a high priority. The act that Jussie claims is a norm, his faking it is an exception

Status
Not open for further replies.