• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

A source tells CBS News that a last-minute phone call might have kept the case against "Empire" star Jussie Smollett from going to a grand jury. The actor claims he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack last month, as he walked home in the middle of the night.

What does that even mean? Are we getting another plot twist that will shift the case back to this being legit happened?

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
It says something about this forum that being a centrist is seen as living dangerously.

This place is cartoonishly hard-left leaning unfortunately. Moreso than old GAF was. People like the guy a few posts back saying things like "I didn't post because I was afraid of a ban". These types of topics are not worth participating in because of that.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This place is cartoonishly hard-left leaning unfortunately. Moreso than old GAF was. People like the guy a few posts back saying things like "I didn't post because I was afraid of a ban". These types of topics are not worth participating in because of that.
I maybe wouldn't go that far, but I get the feeling that some of the shittier people at GAF kinda helped balance things out. This place can definitely get pretty toxic and circlejerk-y in a way I think NeoGAF tended to avoid.

Also, I tend to be wary of people who call themselves centrists, but I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a middle ground in issues like this

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This place is one of the only socially progressive gaming sites on the web, peoples tolerance for excusing racism, homophobia, transphobia and other "debate" topics is at zero.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah he's a smart guy. He's right.

Edit: wait, nobody watches Trevor? Weird to see all these disclaimers: "well i don't watch him but.." Is he considered unfunny or something or unsmart? Or is the pain of Stewart leaving still too big (he was amazing, i agree)? Cause Trevor Noah is good.

For me:

1. Noah didn't seem all that insightful or funny when the show was on Hulu
2. CS/Viacom pulled the show from Hulu so it fell off my radar

I would guess this was the same for many ex viewers.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It says something about this forum that being a centrist is seen as living dangerously.
The majority of leftist posters here have an extremely negative view of centrists and centrism.
I for one am shocked that liberals and progressives have a dim view of Centrists who want to "compromise" with a Republican party that

A)Supports Donald "Nazi's are good people" Trump
B)Allows someone like McTurtle to tear our constitution and courts to shreds
and C) Is ever increasingly supporting far right, racist, sexist, anti-LGBT, anti-equliaty religious nutbag-ism and white supremacy all with a dash of Rich douchbag worship and sacrifice to their donor gods.

I am truly shocked centrists would get laughed at and ridiculed for both sidesing and "unity".

S H O C K E D
H
O
C
K
E
D

Now, when the GOP returns to relative sanity; sure. Until then, there can be no compromise with the right.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Most of those self described centerists are just flat out full of shit. It typically means being a Conservative, but with more low key racism rather than overt. Or they just turn out to be lying. Like staking out a centerist position where the left wing position is black lives matter, and the rightwing is the actions/rhetoric of violent Neo-Nazi gangs.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I maybe wouldn't go that far, but I get the feeling that some of the shittier people at GAF kinda helped balance things out. This place can definitely get pretty toxic and circlejerk-y in a way I think NeoGAF tended to avoid.

Also, I tend to be wary of people who call themselves centrists, but I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a middle ground in issues like this

I think you are forgetting what GAF was like. I don't think ERA is all that different honestly with regards to that.

Also, most people are centrist really.. which is maintaining the status quo. Which is also a way of saying most people just want to live their lives and not be a part of the political games both parties blame.

Also, people can call you centrist for not agreeing with Democrats, when that has nothing to do with be left or centrist. Democrats don't represent all spectrums of the left just as Republicans don't represent all conservatives. It's just what we are stuck with as being viable to win.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: wait, nobody watches Trevor? Weird to see all these disclaimers: "well i don't watch him but.." Is he considered unfunny or something or unsmart? Or is the pain of Stewart leaving still too big (he was amazing, i agree)? Cause Trevor Noah is good.
It just means Comedy Central does not upload all their content to Youtube.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that muddied the waters was how brutal other racial and homophobic attacks have been in the recent past. Typically far more violent than politically motivated attacks. I thought it seemed over the top until I started reading up on similar occurrences and then I had nothing to say.

It's the story as a whole that seemed wonky. You've got two dudes out prowling at 2am in the freezing cold with bleach and a rope. They run across Jussie and know exactly who he is and decide to jump him and hurl racist and homophobic slurs at him along with, 'This is MAGA country'. They also manage to get the rope around his neck and pour bleach on him. But in all of this they somehow don't do any real damage to him. Now these dudes were so ready to start shit that they were going around in the cold with equipment to inflict some real damage and somehow didn't manage to do any of that against one person even though they did get the rope around his neck. And that was all before he was able to pop up on stage just a few days later to brag about how he fought them off and how he's now the "gay Tupac".

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boogie isn't a centrist. Boogie is just an idiot who people that like to argue disingenuously hold up as an example of being a centrist in a sad attempt to shame anyone who doesn't share their views. That's not being progressive. That's being a dick.
The problem is centrists see the right as it was 30 years ago, not the bigoted, anti-compromise unless we get everything we want jerks they are now.

Until the right sorts itself out, centrism is not a good thing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Boogie isn't a centrist. Boogie is just an idiot who people that like to argue disingenuously hold up as an example of being a centrist in a sad attempt to shame anyone who doesn't share their views. That's not being progressive. That's being a dick.
Exactly. Boogie being a douche bag is basically used as a cudgel on here to demonize those who don't fall completely in line.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This is where I honestly feel for the mods. On one hand, sensitive stories involving people belonging to historically disenfranchised groups require a watchful eye when people try to squirt their shitty little dog-whistles and winks into their posts without giving away their true intentions (the "I'm just sayin'" or "Just asking questions" shit).

On the other hand, stories that have major inconsistencies or problems should be open to discussion, IMO.

But when those two topics intersect, what can you do? If it's too open, racists and homophobes (as rare as we may like to believe they are on this website) will post their thinly-disguised horseshit with aplomb because they know they can just fall back on saying they're "playing airchair detective" like everyone else. But if it's too closed down, it's a circle-jerk where anybody who dares give an opinion that doesn't line up exactly with the majority gets shouted down, insulted, or possibly banned.

Play it safe or leave it open.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Came to say this, I mean, in past discussions I've felt I almost had to prove I'm black and don't have some agenda when positing just because I'm not up in arms about something. But it's best not to take things too personal, I think for the most part Mods try and be just and fair, but they are humans and can be offended like any of us. Honestly, some of these topics just shouldn't be discussed on forums but face to face. Only IRL can you pick up on people's true self. But yeah, crazy story, all I'm left with is "but why" at this point? World is just getting more and more crazy.

Peace and love to everyone man...

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
The problem is centrists see the right as it was 30 years ago, not the bigoted, anti-compromise unless we get everything we want jerks they are now.

Until the right sorts itself out, centrism is not a good thing.

Being a centrist in a massively conservative country as the US is just being a conservative.

There is no 'sorting itself out' for the right unless you support the social and economic structures it continues to seek to entrech day by day.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-smollett-empire-nigerian-brothers-testimony-hail-may-call/

A source close to the investigation tells CBS News the brothers were set to appear in front of a grand jury Tuesday. But CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reports those plans were abruptly scrapped after a "Hail Mary" call from Smollett's defense team.

Probably had problems learning his new script. In all seriousness maybe he finally decided to talk to the police

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Boogie is a centrist like Trump is a great deal maker.

(Spoilers: He's not a centrist.)

The problem is Boogie is not some rare exception. A significant number of self-proclaimed "moderate centrists" these days are in fact hard-line conservatives (both old-school and alt-right) that don't want to openly be so out of fear of (often rightful) ostracization. Too many people call themselves "apolitical" or "willing to consider both sides" while doing nothing but shitting on SJWs/"PC culture" and promoting "sensible" voices like Shapiro, Peterson, "rationalists" like Sargon, etc.

Era's zero-tolerance and general disdain for centrism is the byproduct of years of people increasingly losing their patience over the same bullshit song and dance over and over and over again.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The problem is Boogie is not some rare exception. A significant number of self-proclaimed "moderate centrists" these days are in fact hard-line conservatives (both old-school and alt-right) that don't want to openly be Republican out of fear of (often rightful) ostracization. Too many people call themselves "apolitical" or "willing to consider both sides" while doing nothing but shitting on SJWs/"PC culture" and promoting "sensible" voices like Shapiro, Peterson, "rationalists" like Sargon, etc.

Era's zero-tolerance and general disdain for centrism is the byproduct of years of people increasingly losing their patience over the same bullshit song and dance over and over and over again.
I wouldn't call him a rare exception, but I wouldn't call him the norm, either. Maybe online in terms of known personalities, but that's mostly because fake "centrists" can more easily attract right wing viewers.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is Boogie is not some rare exception. A significant number of self-proclaimed "moderate centrists" these days are in fact hard-line conservatives (both old-school and alt-right) that don't want to openly be so out of fear of (often rightful) ostracization. Too many people call themselves "apolitical" or "willing to consider both sides" while doing nothing but shitting on SJWs/"PC culture" and promoting "sensible" voices like Shapiro, Peterson, "rationalists" like Sargon, etc.

People who hold up Boogie as a centrist when they know in fact he's a conservative shill are being disingenuous (or willfully stupid). And you're right, there's a bunch of those faux-centrist personalities online now.

Mod post - stay on topic

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the investigation surrounding Jussie Smollett's assault allegations. Cut out the meta commentary and stay on topic, please.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's the story as a whole that seemed wonky. You've got two dudes out prowling at 2am in the freezing cold with bleach and a rope. They run across Jussie and know exactly who he is and decide to jump him and hurl racist and homophobic slurs at him along with, 'This is MAGA country'. They also manage to get the rope around his neck and pour bleach on him. But in all of this they somehow don't do any real damage to him. Now these dudes were so ready to start shit that they were going around in the cold with equipment to inflict some real damage and somehow didn't manage to do any of that against one person even though they did get the rope around his neck. And that was all before he was able to pop up on stage just a few days later to brag about how he fought them off and how he's now the "gay Tupac".

Yeah, it's weird because it's not one specific detail that made it confusing. Each one on its own seems completely believable. Even 3 or 4 of them seem believable...but then one extra one gets in and all of a sudden the whole thing falls apart.

RzrManifest

Banned
Feb 20, 2019
I was trying to imagine the kind of person that says "This is MAGA country" and it certainly wasn't a white guy from Chicago. Africans with British accents completes the mental picture and makes waaaaaay more sense, it's almost perfect.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
They also manage to get the rope around his neck and pour bleach on him. But in all of this they somehow don't do any real damage to him.
I think you can blame the shitty initial reporting for some of this. When it first happened it was reported he was pretty hurt. Said he had broken ribs. Depending on when you started following the story, you can have a drastically different perception of events.

Dec 9, 2017
Not the first time Jussie tried to get innocent people jammed up.

LOS ANGELES, California – A California misdemeanor complaint against Jussie Smollett shows the actor was accused of identifying himself as his younger brother in 2007 when a Los Angeles police officer pulled him over on suspicion of driving under the influence.

The misdemeanor complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court in September 2007 says that Smollett gave the name of his brother, Jake Smollett, when he was asked by an officer. He also signed a false name on the promise to appear in court. Smollett also was later charged with false impersonation, driving under the influence and driving without a valid license.

Court records show Smollett pleaded no contest to the reduced charge of giving false information, in addition to driving under the influence and driving without a valid license counts. The records show he later completed an alcohol education and treatment program and completed the terms of his sentence in May 2008.

The details of the complaint were first reported by NBC News.

https://fox8.com/2019/02/20/jussie-...ng-police-false-information-in-previous-case/

Nov 9, 2017
User warned: Ignoring a modpost.

Era is not a hivemind. Being a centrist is ok, even if a lot of EtcetEra likes to pretend they don't really exist IRL. I would say its much more likely to find centrists when you interact with real life people vs message board members.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
A history of lying and later playing a Lyon.

Maybe they can find a role for him in the upcoming Lion King movie.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Ignoring a modpost.
Era is not a hivemind. Being a centrist is ok, even if a lot of EtcetEra likes to pretend they don't really exist IRL. I would say its much more likely to find centrists when you interact with real life people vs message board members.
I think having your political views dictated to you by the position of the Overton window is stupid.

I also think centrists look really dumb when you pick most any serious issue and try to justify a centrist stance.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should make a topic about how bad Centrists are and discuss it in there.

Please. Every damn thread, even when nothing's really been said, some knucklehead will feel the need to bring up centrists.

Sad to see. Guy just doesn't give a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.