• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you had sex in the last 12 months?

• Yes

Votes: 956 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 527 31.2%
  • Thor: The Dark Abstinence

Votes: 208 12.3%

• Total voters

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just keeping up with marriage nowadays can be a massive hurdle, especially with kids. There's so much going on at any one time during the day, it's hard to blame a person. Even among my own friends, I feel like more and more are staying single or want to be left alone. Developing a relationship from scratch is increasingly more difficult it feels like now.

(CNN) Valentine's Day is a day of love, a special day on which we're supposed to make sure that those around us know how much we care for them. But on this day when Cupid is supposed to strike us with his arrow, there are several reasons to think "love" (by its many definitions) isn't what it once was in the United States, for better or for worse.
Indeed, here are four potentially troubling statistics and one potentially positive sign about love in the US.

Twenty-six percent of Americans ages 18 and up didn't have sex once over the past 12 months, according to the 2021 General Social Survey. You might think this is just a pandemic effect, but it's part of a long-term trend. The two years with next-highest percentage of adults saying they didn't have sex once in the past year were 2016 (23%) and 2018 (23%) -- the last two times the survey was conducted. Before 2004, the highest percentage of Americans who said they hadn't had sex in the past year was 19%.

Last year's survey was also the first time that the percentage of Americans who had sex once a month or less topped 50%. In 1989, 35% of American adults had sex once a month or less.

Some of this has to do with fewer people getting married and an aging population, but that doesn't explain all of it. Among married couples under the age of 60, 26% had sex once a month or less in 2021. In 1989, it was 12%. The 1980s really were better for sex.

It's not just about sex. Some 62% of Americans ages 25 to 54 lived with a partner or were married, according to a 2021 Pew Research Center study of 2019 US Census Bureau data. This included 53% who were married and 9% who were cohabitating. That's well below the 71% of couples who lived together in 1990, with 67% married and 4% cohabitating. You might think the growing share of unmarried people living without a spouse is due to rising educational levels among women who don't need the financial support of a man. The statistics tell a different story, though. Better educated people and higher wage earners are the most likely to live with a partner or be married. A lot of people won't get married if they don't think it's financially feasible, according to Pew polling.

There's also been a higher increase in unmarried men living alone (10 points) than women (7 points) compared to the 1990 baseline.

Could it just be the case that people are still in relationships, but don't want to be tied down by either living together or being married? Yes, but the statistics suggest something else is cooking.

The General Social Survey has, on and off since 1986, asked participants whether they had a steady partner. This past year, 30% of adults ages 25 to 54 (the same age bracket as the Pew study) indicated that they did not have a steady partner. In 1986, it was 20%. In fact, the percentage of 25- to 54-year-olds who said they didn't have a steady partner never topped 23% prior to the 2010s. It's been 25% or above in every survey since. Interestingly, as the population ages and more Baby Boomers have gotten above the age of 55, the percentage of older folks in a relationship has stayed fairly steady -- in the mid-to-high 60s on average.

That means this trend toward singledom is more about young people than older people. It's the same with sex: The percentage of those age 55 and older not having any sex in the last year (40%) is about the same as it was 30 years ago.

More here: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/health/valentines-day-love-marriage-relationships-wellness/index.html?utm_content=2022-02-15T17:41:29&utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why a generation of people that have lived through two economic disasters would be less likely to want children.

I'm in a great relationship, but zero plans for marriage or kids any time soon.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
WORLD ON FIRE WITH NFTS
ME OVER HERE ON FIRE WITH NO FUCKIN' TOUCH

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this lines up, been over a year for me.

I guess maybe I'll feel less bad being a huge introvert if everyone else is suffering too.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
we're too busy working multiple jobs just to be able to pay rent and student loans

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why a generation of people that have lived through two economic disasters would be less likely to want children.

I'm in a great relationship, but zero plans for marriage or kids any time soon.
Poor people tend to have more children. Birth rates tend to go down with economic development. This has been the case almost everywhere in the world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even been on a date in like three years. How the fuck are you supposed to meet new people during a global pandemic?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
who needs sex, Elden Ring is gonna give me a good time anyway

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Good. We need less people and hopefully this cuts back on unwanted/unexpected pregnancies.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My wife and I run a business together and have two young kids. Sex is further down the agenda now than it's ever been, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in that 12-month club in the next year or two as well. There's just so much stuff happening, all the time.

To be clear, I also don't watch TV, read, or really play videogames any more either, so it's not like we're choosing other pleasurable pursuits over sex.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All that shit costs money. Too bad we can't get decent wages in this hellscape

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people won't get married if they don't think it's financially feasible, according to Pew polling.

This is my girlfriend and I despite the fact that we've been together for over a decade. Always just another financial hill to get over, the courts will do us but we have family we'd like to have there for the day. Seems like a dream now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I run a business together and have two young kids. Sex is further down the agenda now than it's ever been, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in that 12-month club in the next year or two as well. There's just so much stuff happening, all the time.

To be clear, I also don't watch TV, read, or really play videogames any more either, so it's not like we're choosing other pleasurable pursuits over sex.
No quickies?

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
A generation of people who grew up witnessing their parents either stay in abusive relationships or watched their parents divorce, experienced 2 economic disasters, had stagnant wages until very recently, and a housing market they can't participate in... hmm I wonder why people don't feel comfortable starting families

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
What a mystery, maybe when people are constantly pressured to perform and be a part of this insane system, they wouldn't be able to have sex 🤔

I'm a horny gay man, so I guess I'm out of the curve here, but even I feel the pressure, and more often than not think that just jerking off saves me way more time than actually meeting someone.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017

Shit man, get off Era and get busy with a quickie!

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I did get some but I can confirm I will never get married. I barely have a handle on my life I wouldn't want to drag a wife and some kids down with me lol

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I got laid once but this is basically the only major downside to living with your parents when you have a decent-good relationship with them. Give us affordable housing in big California cities and I'll have sex more often.

Also I imagine the pandemic affected things. Judging by box office numbers there are still people hesitant to get out there and do things involving real world physical interaction to the extent that we did pre-covid.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't give a fuck. I just finished my master's and I'm trying to learn a new career. Relationships, sex, and etc. are very low on my priority list.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
1. Relationships take real effort, work, at all aspects. I've often joked about not having sex now that I'm married/have a kid "Yeah I've had sex once, and I have living proof [points to child]," sort of self-deprecating dad jokes. But honestly behind that joke is a reality that my sex life is waaaayyyyyy scaled back from what it was 3+ years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, and 15 years ago. My wife and I were never comfortable with that, but it also takes a lot of work, resentment builds, and even among married couples who love each other I'll still have "Fear of rejection" or fear that she's not in the mood, resentment that I'm putting in effort and she's not, etc, and she'll have resentments and frustrations with me on the flipside, and it'll be easier for me to just put on my headphones and play videogames while she's watching true crime shows, rather than put in the effort. Along with kids who interrupt everything it can be hard to have those spontaneous moments and also "planning it out" will feel embarrassing (but IMO necessary for us a lot of the time, and that's kinda been a major win for us in the last 6mos, getting over the embarrassment). Sometimes when we do have date nights, it's so rare that we do that we'll over indulge, eat a shit load of food, drink a thousand beers, and then 1045pm will roll around and we're both like "eeehhhhhhh.... I kinda have to take a massive shit...... let's do it tomorrow....." And then tomorrow rolls around and there's some other reason "ugh I'm hungover as fuck and I gotta get the kid in 30mins..."

2. We're in a major cultural shift around work. Something like 1/3 of relationships begin at work (long term, hookup, whatever), and as this major shift has taken place around work over the last year especially for college educated working people, it's a major disruption to how people have traditionally met. Dating apps, hookup apps, etc, aren't a replacement for that.

3. Another aspect is that in 2020-2021, there's less opportunity for social mixers... Bars, clubs might be closed, limitations, or when people go out if they are open they might go out in limited groups... 4 friends "taking a chance going to the bar" might not be willing to mingle socially with other people. Or people who do go out like how they did pre-2020, there's a self-selection process with that, like if you're willing to go out to hook up with people at a bar in 2020, you're kind of opting into a self-selection process that has a smaller pool of potential partners.

4. We've all been going through this crisis the last couple years, many of us are stressed, mental health on the precipice, depression and anxiety on the rise, and those are all things that make hooking up more difficult.

5. Distractions + things moving inside the home, off of the TV, more personal. It's not even about how media has moved out of the movie theatre, but at every level media moves more personally. I'd say the majority of video media I consume in a day is personal... On my phone, on my laptop, personalized to my tastes. It's not communal (outside the house), it's not communal inside the house. It's personal in a way that it wasn't even 10 or 15 years ago.

I think the rate of change is probably a bad thing, and as a social species we're not really sure what to do. I also think this growing chasm of under-sexualized people is probably a bad thing too. It's a very quick change in a relatively short period of time, and those sorts of things usually aren't good. Along with a rise in under-sexed people is also lonely people, isolated people, etc. It's all related. The 40-year-old Virgin was a cultural joke that *most* people shared, like even if you didn't look down on the idea of a 40-year-old virgin, there was general acceptance of "well... that's pretty bad for that guy." But, at the rate of change that we're in, the idea of a 40 year old virgin is not going ot be novel, it's going to be common place, but the cultural opinion that being a 40 year old virgin is a bad thing is going to persist, which is going to lead to more resentment, isolation, feeling of being alone, etc.

Last edited:

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Developing meaningful relationships is fucking hard in my generation, and I'm a zoomer. No one wants something lasting. If your social circle isn't big enough or if your not still in school, then good luck.

Probably ironic, but Euphoria had the best characterization of how most relationships I've seen go in my generation.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is going to increase.

Dating apps have created a Paradox of Choice.

Also research shows that people do want long term relatiobships as well. Still. It's just the means of matchmaking are not optimized for creating long term relationships en masse.

ambiancematchmaking.com

The Paradox Of Choice | Ambiance Matchmaking

Many singles try to date as many people as possible as to not miss out on meeting “The One," but this can lead to an insidious addiction.