• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/02/tech/nintendo-switch-black-friday-sales/index.html

The Switch was among most popular items sold on Black Friday, according to analysts who said that the gaming console benefited from aging competition.
Nintendo offered the same deal as it did last year: A Switch console and a free download of "Mario Kart 8" for $299, which saves customers about $60. Analysts at Wedbush Securities said that once again attracted shoppers because it was "likely a reflection of the competition feeling a bit long-in-the-tooth" ahead of newly refreshed devices expected in 2020.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Interesting. The $200 PS4 with God of War, Horizon, and Last of Us is a hell of a deal and I wondered which would come out on top. I'd imagine a lot of people already own PS4's in the U.S. though.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Switch Lite also probably did pretty huge numbers, even if it wasn't officially discounted. I imagine those are going to be extremely commonplace after this holiday.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Considering that they offered the exact same deal a year later (and with the old switch model to boot) I guess Nintendo didn't have to do much to move units.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the most noteworthy bundle was... the same as last year. That'd be those evergreens being, well, evergreen!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch Lite also probably did pretty huge numbers, even if it wasn't officially discounted. I imagine those are going to be extremely commonplace after this holiday.
I am expecting the Lite to do really well in December.

Black Friday is about deals and like you said, the Lite was not discounted whereas the regular Swtch was.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is probably the Switch's strongest year of software output so far, so I don't find this surprising in the least.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
The more MK8D continues to be an evergreen system seller, the less chances of an MK9 as a Switch generation release. :(

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was the third year in a row where there was a $199 ps4 bundle, and even in 2016 you could get a slim for $225. IMO there may have tapped out the cheap PS4 Bf market to some extent.

At this point both Xbox one and PS4 should start at $199, and be less on Bf

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting. The $200 PS4 with God of War, Horizon, and Last of Us is a hell of a deal and I wondered which would come out on top. I'd imagine a lot of people already own PS4's in the U.S. though.

I'm sure it did well, but the PS4 (and Xbox One) are on their last legs, and the Switch is basically at the peak of the typical life cycle.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am expecting the Lite to do really well in December.

Black Friday is about deals and like you said, the Lite was not discounted whereas the regular Swtch was.
Both GameStop & Amazon had $25 gift card offers, plus just having it be the cheapest Switch on the shelf while people were in stores probably moved a lot of units.

But yeah, it's going to be the go-to for people hitting up stores throughout December.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personal experience, but from completely different side of the pond (Netherlands), the Lite does very little. The Black Friday sale we had, we sold over 150 Switch over two days, and a total of three Lite's.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Who hasn't already bought a PS4/Bone that wants one? The price has pretty much been around $200 for years.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah insider reports indicate it should be comfortably up YOY for November even though last year's November included cyber monday and this year's does not.

Gonna see some big numbers this Q3.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't surprise me. Xbox and PS4 are old for one thing. And I saw a whole lot of people with Switches when I was at my local store on BF. A few Xbox and PS4s here and there though.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
according to analysts who said that the gaming console benefited from aging competition.

200.gif

:P

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right. So many of my coworkers picked one up. Everyone already has an xbox/ps4 and Nintendo has a great catalogue of games now. Great time to get one

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We had some friends visiting for a few days and one of them bought a Switch Lite and Pokemon Shield on Black Friday so she could start playing that night. They have a regular Switch with Sword back at home. My wife is personally waiting until Animal Crossing for us to get our second.

The Switch Lite is SO light by the way.. I was shocked at the weight differential. Feels good in the hands too.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Talent stays winning
More like a newer device stays ahead of one that's in its later years. It'd be a bigger news story if the PS4 was still coming out on top.

That said, the very fact that it's even in this discussion like that is a testament to just how much of a beast the current gen PlayStation has been!

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I expect everyone did well. That PS4 deal was insane, but maybe that market is just saturated. Switch just got Pokemon, and as I have been recently educated, there are tons of people that will sleep on Zelda, Mario, Kart, Xeno, FE, but buy in for just Pokemon. Also there is probably a bit of a 'saving for next gen' effect going on.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Of particular interest to me is that this comparison seemed to be made not just among consoles but among all products. But extent and benchmarks are unclear.
Ah yeah. I still expected it to dominate this year, if only because of Pokemon and the Lite.
Nintendo has put in the legwork with the Switch, glad to see it paying off for them.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Time to break through that wall and start selling PS4's for $149 I guess. Never gonna beat PS2 if they dont start slashing

Congrats to Switch

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
New York (CNN Business)Gamers are getting excited about the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox. But those won't come out until next holiday season. In the meantime, the Nintendo Switch is reaping the rewards of video game players holding out for new gaming systems.

The Switch was among most popular items sold on Black Friday, according to analysts who said that the gaming console benefited from aging competition.

Any black Friday anecdotes, ERA?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a little surprised given the lack of price cuts or discounts. The MK8 bundle is weak as fuck but most folks probably don't know or care about the battery issue.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. If you wanted an xbox or ps, you probably already had one. They even have new consoles coming up. Switch had pokemon that just came out.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm a little surprised given the lack of price cuts or discounts. The MK8 bundle is weak as fuck but most folks probably don't know or care about the battery issue.
To be fair.. the battery is fine in the original. The fact the slight revision makes it a little better isn't really gonna matter to someone who just wants to get one in general and to save some money in the process on Mario Kart.

Nov 11, 2017
Really not surprised the switch including the lite is for kids and adults who like Nintendo products..big market.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is on track to become the best selling console in a single year this generation by a significant amount.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It's a "worse" deal than last years bundle, which was a $200 PS4 with Spider-man, and it's a year later. The Switch was the exact same deal as last year, and Microsofts bundle this year was the $150 Disc-less version that no one wanted. None of the systems had great bundles, but more people want the Switch and the game they would most likely buy with it than anything else