• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks guys. I honestly didn't even know Pokémon had multiplayer hahah. At this point though, does Splatoon still have a healthy player base?
Oh, Pokemon is great for multiplayer. There is PvP, PvE, raids, battles, trades, ranked, unranked, local, online. It would be great.
I can't answer for Splatoon, I'll let Hate chip in on that :)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was the Bloomberg article already mentioned?

Heh, quite the change here lol

I don't agree with him (as per usual) but I guess we have no idea what kinda software they'll have in store for the next 3 years. I think this year could be the peak and if not, then it will definitely be next year.

But by the end of 2021 we should be hearing about a Switch 2 I'd imagine.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I came back from thanksgiving to see that a few of my roommates had purchased a Switch Lite. Which games do you guys recommend for couch multiplayer? We already have MK8, New Super Mario Bros and consistently beat the shit out of each other in Smash Bros. What else can we get?

Locally? Super Mario Party for sure, especially the 2v2 mode, it is crazy fun. also: Mario Tennis Aces! it is extremely fun and the gameplay mechanics are amazing, you will be surprised how much fun it is.

Thanks guys. I honestly didn't even know Pokémon had multiplayer hahah. At this point though, does Splatoon still have a healthy player base?

Last time i did play, i didn't have any issues

He's not new though, that said, who you're talking about was like a blip. Bitter Wii U owners mostly never are delusional enough to say the Wii U was better, just that they got shafted.

I will be honest, a small part of me still wishes that Wii U lived a little longer, that games like Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained released for it. I feel a bit sad about how it ended because despite of failing horribly, still... the product and its games were full of love, and i can't deny countless hours of fun with it, i still play Wii Party U with my friends regularly.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
100 million for Switch is definitely a possibility, but it depends on the long term tail of the system. Nintendo would need to support it meaningfully for as long as they did the 3DS for the Switch to approach 100 million.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Locally? Super Mario Party for sure, especially the 2v2 mode, it is crazy fun. also: Mario Tennis Aces! it is extremely fun and the gameplay mechanics are amazing, you will be surprised how much fun it is.

Last time i did play, i didn't have any issues

I will be honest, a small part of me still wishes that Wii U lived a little longer, that games like Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained released for it. I feel a bit sad about how it ended because despite of failing horribly, still... the product and its games were full of love, and i can't deny countless hours of fun with it, i still play Wii Party U with my friends regularly.

The Wii U taught me to never pledge to a kickstarter, and to not even trust small devs/publishers to honour their word.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 is already saturated with a console in every household. The portable nature of the Switch helps in that each kid wants their own device so you will see 2-3 Switch's per household

Aug 3, 2018
Ive read almost this whole thread and am shocked that people are surprised the switch most likely won over Black Friday. Most everyone who wants an xbox or ps4 has one already and the new systems launch next year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
100 million for Switch is definitely a possibility, but it depends on the long term tail of the system. Nintendo would need to support it meaningfully for as long as they did the 3DS for the Switch to approach 100 million.
It was a possibility in March 2017 when the system launched and the initial sales data came in - in December 2019 it's much more than as possibility.

I don't know what kind of fuck up Nintendo would have to introduce to prevent that from happening.

100m is a conservative prediction for the end of the Switch family if things play out like I expect them to.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It was a possibility in March 2017 when the system launched and the initial sales data came in - in December 2019 it's much more than as possibility.

I don't know what kind of fuck up Nintendo would have to introduce to prevent that from happening.

100m is a conservative prediction for the end of the Switch family if things play out like I expect them to.

In the very unlikely case that they release a Switch 2 in 2021 or something then I don't see them hitting 100M.

But yeah that doesn't seem likely.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

They have sell everything they sold again don't they?

They would need some major games I think. I hope it sells 100m but I just doubt it will.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

In the very unlikely case that they release a Switch 2 in 2021 or something then I don't see them hitting 100M.

But yeah that doesn't seem likely.

They would need some major games I think. I hope it sells 100m but I just doubt it will.
My bigger question is one of what continues to accelerate sales going forward. While I have no doubt the current level can and will be sustained for a year or two before tapering off, we need at least one more year of accelerated sales before the tapering begins, for the Switch to have a realistic shot at 100 million.

But what will drive that acceleration, exactly? To my knowledge, every major hardware-mover Nintendo franchise is now available on Switch, with the exception of Animal Crossing, and that comes out in a couple months.

So what do we expect to continue accelerating Switch sales?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Still have animal crossing for next year which will be a big one then Breath of the Wild 2, Likely a second Mario game and smaller stuff like Tomodachi life along with the usual Pokemons. Probably enough for at least a good 2 years. 3rd who knows really.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
My bigger question is one of what continues to accelerate sales going forward. While I have no doubt the current level can and will be sustained for a year or two before tapering off, we need at least one more year of accelerated sales before the tapering begins, for the Switch to have a realistic shot at 100 million.

But what will drive that acceleration, exactly? To my knowledge, every major hardware-mover Nintendo franchise is now available on Switch, with the exception of Animal Crossing, and that comes out in a couple months.

Sales don't need to accelerate, the PS4's never did that, there were consistently high almost it's entire lifespan. The sales need to have a slow taper down. It's currently at 40 million likely ending the year near 50 million. It just needs two more years of roughly 20 million sales to reach 100 million. The real question is if it can manage that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Sequels, new IPs (like Ring Fit which is a bona fide system seller), Switch Sports, new revisions like a pro, price drops, etc. Big third party exclusives can help too. Maybe they actually will get a new Monster Hunter which would go a long way towards driving hardware in Japan.

I'm not worried about their software output for it simply because they don't have a separate hardware line to support like they did with the 3DS during the Wii's end of life years.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Sales don't need to accelerate, the PS4's never did that, there were consistently high almost it's entire lifespan. The sales need to have a slow taper down. It's currently at 40 million likely ending the year near 50 million. It just needs two more years of roughly 20 million sales to reach 100 million. The real question is if it can manage that.
PS4 went through four years of acceleration before starting its tapering 2014->2015->2016->2017.
The reason it was able to clear 100 million as easily as it did was because it performed at its peak for longer than is expected of a console (with four years of acceleration, rather than the traditional three).
Switch absolutely needs that to match it.

Sequels, new IPs (like Ring Fit which is a bona fide system seller), Switch Sports, new revisions like a pro, price drops, etc. Big third party exclusives can help too. Maybe they actually will get a new Monster Hunter which would go a long way towards driving hardware in Japan.

I'm not worried about their software output for it simply because they don't have a separate hardware line to support like they did with the 3DS during the Wii's end of life years.
I'm not necessarily worried about the presence of software, I feel there will always be enough new releases on the system, from Nintendo and third parties alike. I specifically mean releases that can actually sell the system, and on that front it appears we are now in the realm of guesswork and speculation.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Still have animal crossing for next year which will be a big one then Breath of the Wild 2, Likely a second Mario game and smaller stuff like Tomodachi life along with the usual Pokemons. Probably enough for at least a good 2 years. 3rd who knows really.
I reckon Pokemon would help here over previous consoles. Though I'm not sure Gamefreak can (or rather should) maintain a yearly release schedule.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Revisiting some comments in threads like these will be entertaining next year.
I'm not necessarily worried about the presence of software, I feel there will always be enough new releases on the system, from Nintendo and third parties alike. I specifically mean releases that can actually sell the system, and on that front it appears we are now in the realm of guesswork and speculation.
Why do you think games like MK8 and BotW still chart nearly 3 years after launch ?
People don't seem to understand that a Mario Kart doesn't stop being a system seller because it launched years ago ....people still buy systems to play these games when the time is right. Nintendo will have a Disney like catalogue on Switch by next year - they are in a incredible good place in terms of released evergreen software and are gonna keep adding games to that library.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
3rd year in a row with ps4 at $199? Hopefully next year it goes for $149. Any indication which did better between ps4 and xbox?

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Revisiting some comments in threads like these will be entertaining next year.

Why do you think games like MK8 and BotW still chart nearly 3 years after launch ?
People don't seem to understand that a Mario Kart doesn't stop being a system seller because it launch years ago ....the people still buy system to play these games when the time is right. Nintendo will have a Disney like catalogue on Switch by next year - they are in a incredible good place in terms of released evergreen software and gonna keep adding games to that library.
I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying! I just am saying that that helps maintain a minimum level of sales, while we need an acceleration, and that requires new releases with system selling appeal.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying! I just am saying that that helps maintain a minimum level of sales, while we need an acceleration, and that requires new releases with system selling appeal.
Sure, I don't think we will have to worry about that though.

We will have a clearer picture of the situation once we head to e3 next year and MS/Sony have unveiled their next-gen plans.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Sure, I don't think we will have to worry about that though.

We will have a clearer picture of the situation once we head to e3 next year and MS/Sony have unveiled their next-gen plans.
Yes, I hope Nintendo sheds more light on that soon enough.
As of right now, I am just wondering what they may have that would potentially continue to push Switch sales.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I hope Nintendo sheds more light on that soon enough.
As of right now, I am just wondering what they may have that would potentially continue to push Switch sales.
The biggest card to play next year is gonna be the price....the fact that they can sell a MK8 bundle with OG Switch for 300 bucks as a Black Friday deal says it all.

They are gonna be a bit more agressive n'y next year. Assuming PS5/Nextbox go for 500 box ...they are gonna make sure to get the point across that you'll be able to buy two Switch for the price of one of these machines bundled with a big first party release.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The biggest card to play next year is gonna be the price....the fact that they can sell a MK8 bundle with OG Switch for 300 bucks as a Black Friday deal says it all.

They are gonna be a bit more agressive n'y next year. Assuming PS5/Nextbox go for 500 box ...they are gonna make sure to get the point across that you'll be able to buy two Switch for the price of one of these machines bundled with a big first party release.
Actually, you are right, price is a dimension I have not considered at all. Theoretically the console could just get a second lease of life with a price drop.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
PS4 went through four years of acceleration before starting its tapering 2014->2015->2016->2017.
The reason it was able to clear 100 million as easily as it did was because it performed at its peak for longer than is expected of a console (with four years of acceleration, rather than the traditional three).
Switch absolutely needs that to match it.

Hardly substantial "acceleration" when there's barely a few million extra shipped between those years. It was a slow fairly consistent increases but that in itself is meaningless to this discussion. If it reached 20 million earlier but it's shipments decreased in a minor fashion it would have still reached those numbers and thus your base assumption doesn't make sense. When it peaks doesn't matter one bit what it's peak is and the drop rate is what will determine if it reaches 100 million or not.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see any deals offered in Sweden. :(
Får väl hoppas på mellandagsrean då.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

yeah, we're fast approaching the point at which they need new IP and big third-party games to continually drive new hardware sales.

the big gap right now is that there's no original 2D Mario title. I really hope a game like that materializes next year.

edit: one thing I should make clear, though: I think it's just as/even more important for sequels of franchises already on Switch (like BotW2) to also become evergreen titles, especially if they can do so alongside their predecessors and not merely by replacing them

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
With less features. The regular Switch is still $300.
People can spin it how they want, but at the end of the day Nintendo has hardware on the market for those that don't want to pay the full price of a Nintendo Switch and it plays the same games.
Most if not all of their hardware sees sales drop hard in the final years when Nintendo releases lower-budget spin-offs and smaller titles because they shifted resources to their next platform. What are you seeing (or know?) that would lead you to believe this won't be the case for their current platform?

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
If by talent, you mean being the hot new item while the other systems are about to kick the bucket for the new model, then sure lol.
lol It's not really a matter of perspective though, that's really the lay of the situation. The mid gen consoles were seen as refreshes to the already established base consoles to investors and developers. Nobody saw the Pro and X1 as a reboot persay, just a kore powerful form of the current status quo. With these consoles entering into the 6th-7th year of their lifecycle, nobody should be surprised the Switch is selling like it is, but nobody should be acting like Switch is now selling like a beast, especially considering Nintendo didn't meet their sales goal last fiscal year.
That's because it was outpacing PS2 and Wii at several points in its lifespan. Switch is selling well, but the advent of the Switch Lite is showing that sales are slowing down and Nintendo wanted to kill two birds with one stone using a refresh (Ha!) while across pandering to the 3DS crowd that is looking for an upgrade. It'll be interesting to see the financials at the end of the FY for them and to see if Switch Lite has helped.
Oh I know exactly what you are saying. I'm saying with that being said, Nintendo still failed to meet their sales prediction last FY. Like someone just posted, PS4's highest selling year was 20+ million. Switch has yet to hit that point even as we are reaching the halfway point of Switch's lifespan. Like I said before, it'll be interesting to see the data at the end of the FY.
People were saying the same thing last year when Smash and Let's Go dropped and Nintendo didn't meet their predictions. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. If Switch hits 20+? Great! If not, then you have to ask yourself what is going on.
Bothering me? Yeah, ending the conversation here is for the best since no one is allowed to discuss sales unless it's saying something like "Talent always wins" or some other phrase.
These aren't even concrete numbers or from Nintendo. How are you this triggered by this?

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can spin it how they want, but at the end of the day Nintendo has hardware on the market for those that don't want to pay the full price of a Nintendo Switch and it plays the same games.

Most if not all of their hardware sees sales drop hard in the final years when Nintendo releases lower-budget spin-offs and smaller titles because they shifted resources to their next platform. What are you seeing (or know?) that would lead you to believe this won't be the case for their current platform?

the fact they only have one platform to support this time, and that the next one will be backwards compatible

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Because they don't have a separate platform to support. Wii support dropped off not because of Wii U software development, it dropped off because they had to support the 3DS launch. Now with there unified platform that is not an issue.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
gimme my Switch Pro, or Switch 2 as long as its 100% backwards compat and you can transfer all the digital shit >_>