• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you mean by "deals like that". I'm just talking about a discount, not bundling in a 5 year old game that I already owned on Wii U. Like if they would have sold it for even $80 off without the game, I might have been swayed. I've owned every Nintendo console and handheld since the NES, except for the N64, so if I'm not the target customer, I'm really not sure who is.

There is no need to restate your bonafides. You seem to think they owe you a cheaper Switch (well there is the Lite)

My point is, if after 2.5 years and all the games out you still think Its too expensive , then you probably aren't the target market and maybe get something else or keep waiting. I'm not really saying anything beyond that.

Just like I'm not posting about the pricing of a product I know I won't buy at the current pricing.

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
At this point it would be shocking if Switch doesn't pass 100 million.

This. The Switch is selling on the back of a great library. It's not being carried by casuals like the Wii was so I don't expect a sudden drop off in sales. People also seem to forget the DS when talking about the longevity of Nintendo consoles/handhelds. The only reason sales will drop off suddenly is if Switch 2 happens before it hits 100m.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
While I'm not getting as much use out of my Switch as I'd hoped, I've still had some great times with it. But congrats to Nintendo for the continued success. After my time with the Wii and Wii U, I was afraid that they were headed in a direction I wasn't interested in.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
At this point it would be shocking if Switch doesn't pass 100 million.
there are a few potential scenarios, all of which Nintendo has been guilty of at various times:

- Success goes to their heads and they greenlight more projects with poor market prospects

- It actually did peak in Year 3 and momentum slows after that regardless of what they do

- Declining software output as they shift to the Next Thing

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only way it doesn't is if Nintendo intentionally shortens its life span. Which seems unlikely.
I think what's more likely is the iPad approach. We may get a Switch Pro based on the Mariko chip and or a Switch 2022/3 with a brand new tegra chip and the sales just get rolled into the same segment and we can't tell what is what and all we can compare to are yearly shipments of hardware

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can spin it how they want, but at the end of the day Nintendo has hardware on the market for those that don't want to pay the full price of a Nintendo Switch and it plays the same games.

Most if not all of their hardware sees sales drop hard in the final years when Nintendo releases lower-budget spin-offs and smaller titles because they shifted resources to their next platform. What are you seeing (or know?) that would lead you to believe this won't be the case for their current platform?

The fact that this is a radically different situation from previous hardware where they're combining both of their handheld & console outputs in a single platform. And the sales curve.

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo should release their console with a similar timeframe of Switch from now on.

Switch launch = PS4 + Xbox prime years
Launch the system with a flagship title to steal the spotlight.

Switch prime years = PS4 + Xbox latter years
Library getting bigger and launch a cheaper model to expand the market.

PS5 + Xbox one successor launch = Switch latter years
Aggressive deal to dodge direct competition

Such approach can also benefit from having port of last gens from third parties.
People would double dip just for the handheld factor and definitive version.
Nintendo should not launch head to head with their competitors, as many third parties just chose to neglect them or cant afford developing for 3 systems simultaneously or the current system not capable of/needs lots of work to run a next gen game.
It will be an obvious flaw to see if launching H2H.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Nintendo should release their console with a similar timeframe of Switch from now on.

Switch launch = PS4 + Xbox prime years
Launch the system with a flagship title to steal the spotlight.

Switch prime years = PS4 + Xbox latter years
Library getting bigger and launch a cheaper model to expand the market.

PS5 + Xbox one successor launch = Switch latter years
Aggressive deal to dodge direct competition

Such approach can also benefit from having port of last gens from third parties.
People would double dip just for the handheld factor and definitive version.
Nintendo should not launch head to head with their competitors, as many third parties just chose to neglect them or cant afford developing for 3 systems simultaneously or the current system not capable of/needs lots of work to run a next gen game.
It will be an obvious flaw to see if launching H2H.
Ducking the competition doesn't guarantee success. Nintendo(like all gaming hardware manufacturers) should release hardware when games are ready to be showcased and released.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Time to break through that wall and start selling PS4's for $149 I guess. Never gonna beat PS2 if they dont start slashing

Congrats to Switch
Better off making the extra revenue on the current price than trying to outsell PS2 and Switch in its last year by slashing price.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
The fact that this is a radically different situation from previous hardware where they're combining both of their handheld & console outputs in a single platform. And the sales curve.
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Koei Tecmo handled most of the development
Dragon Quest XI - Square Enix
Astral Chain - Platinum Games
Daemon X Machnina - Marvelous

And the list goes on.... It seems like they're publishing more games than they develop like usual. I dont see an issue with it, but it doesnt fit ur narrative. Where is this increased output you're referring to? What is radically different?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
People in here pretending the Switch is only successful in comparison to aging platforms when it's doing as well as they did at the same point.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Era is great for seeing which posters come in and downplay suceess, coming up with whatever mental gymnastics they can in order to justify why the console of their choice didn't "win". They don't even try and hide it.

It's embarrassing.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Prior Warning for Platform Warring
This doesn't mean anything though. The family-like nature of the Switch means that developers are not going to be interested in putting their core titles on it.
The Ps4 will have sold better without attempting to pander to families. In a true head-to-head fight without gimmicks, Nintendo loses every time (N64, NGC,Wiiu) It's only when they decide to sell to a younger audience that they can even hope of reaching Sony.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't mean anything though. The family-like nature of the Switch means that developers are not going to be interested in putting their core titles on it.
The Ps4 will have sold better without attempting to pander to families. In a true head-to-head fight without gimmicks, Nintendo loses every time (N64, NGC,Wiiu) It's only when they decide to sell to a younger audience that they can even hope of reaching Sony.
I think we got a winner here !

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017

This is all so very disappointing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

This reads like satire but I have a feeling it's not.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It was the kiddies the whole time huh

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Please lead me to all those kids with $300 in their pockets.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only 3rd person adventure games count

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
NLFgIpE.gif

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
You could argue that a lot of the Switch's success in it's first year was due to them not going for that blue ocean crowd or children and families. Zelda, 3D Mario, and Xenoblade were their big games early on and I don't think those games are specifically marketed at kids and families. Yes, they released games like 1,2 Switch but the platform would have been DOA if that was the main draw.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad you didn't put a /s on the end. I know it's the soup-of-the-day on the internet now, but I feel that it's for morons and cowards.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
giphy.gif

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3rd year in a row with ps4 at $199? Hopefully next year it goes for $149. Any indication which did better between ps4 and xbox?

If they sold all of their stock at $199 then why would they price it at $149? Do you really think Sony's concern is to outsell the Switch on BF?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
KIDDIE GAMES BAD

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

Jan 10, 2018
You could argue that a lot of the Switch's success in it's first year was due to them not going for that blue ocean crowd or children and families. Zelda, 3D Mario, and Xenoblade were their big games early on and I don't think those games are specifically marketed at kids and families. Yes, they released games like 1,2 Switch but the platform would have been DOA if that was the main draw.

Nintendo publically talk about it
PS4 went through four years of acceleration before starting its tapering 2014->2015->2016->2017.
The reason it was able to clear 100 million as easily as it did was because it performed at its peak for longer than is expected of a console (with four years of acceleration, rather than the traditional three).
Switch absolutely needs that to match it.

I'm not necessarily worried about the presence of software, I feel there will always be enough new releases on the system, from Nintendo and third parties alike. I specifically mean releases that can actually sell the system, and on that front it appears we are now in the realm of guesswork and speculation.

As already pointed out, evergreen titles. Also Zelda and Animal Crossing. Also a advertisement campaign disguised as Olympics and theme parks. They will be fine.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This reads like satire but I have a feeling it's not.

This sounds like world's worst take ever but sadly many third party developers share this. Including Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi. He thinks Switch is not a right platform for Yakuza, PS4 is as Switch is for "families", and PS4 is where real people play games.