• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't mean anything though. The family-like nature of the Switch means that developers are not going to be interested in putting their core titles on it.
The Ps4 will have sold better without attempting to pander to families. In a true head-to-head fight without gimmicks, Nintendo loses every time (N64, NGC,Wiiu) It's only when they decide to sell to a younger audience that they can even hope of reaching Sony.
I like this post

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
This doesn't mean anything though. The family-like nature of the Switch means that developers are not going to be interested in putting their core titles on it.
The Ps4 will have sold better without attempting to pander to families. In a true head-to-head fight without gimmicks, Nintendo loses every time (N64, NGC,Wiiu) It's only when they decide to sell to a younger audience that they can even hope of reaching Sony.

Yeah, developers aren't interested on putting "core titles" on the Switch...except Assassin's Creed, Overwatch, Skyrim, Witcher 3, certainly more...

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I am shocked at this news.

Soon they will report Frozen 2 merchandise selling crazy numbers and I will also be surprised.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Sony can only win when they target people who have their own disposable income, let's see how they do when they aim at people who have to ask others for money/presents!!!!!

Jan 10, 2018

Yes, Buzzman is very salty and has been dogpiled to death.

But his post among many others are a good reminder of how toxic the gaming community is. While we have even grown up manly men down to feet(sorry for the imagery) of family friendly Disney, we see here constantly the most grown up men mankind ever had to offer pushing the false narrative of the kiddie kid friendly console for families to diminish the success of Switch.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Benji is estimating 800k-1 million for Xbox, over 1 million for PS4.
Nice. Xbox usually beats the ps4 around BF doesn't it?
If they sold all of their stock at $199 then why would they price it at $149? Do you really think Sony's concern is to outsell the Switch on BF?
I'm not looking at it from the Switch angle. I'm just seeing potential for Sony to increase sales and lock even more into their ecosystem. $199 is fine now but it should be permanently $199 next year and even cheaper next black Friday.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like world's worst take ever but sadly many third party developers share this. Including Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi. He thinks Switch is not a right platform for Yakuza, PS4 is as Switch is for "families", and PS4 is where real people play games.
This is a common misconception. Nagoshi could very well share this opinion, but the quote you're referring to is from Daisuke Sato.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Not too surprising since PS4 and Xbox One are winding down. But at the same time - a little surprising. Since Switch had the worst bundled deals by far for Black Friday.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017

It didn't last year. But I believe that in earlier years, Xbox was very aggressive with discounts. Sony killed with the Spiderman bundle last year and they've been very successful with this bundle as well. The comps won't be exact because Cyber Monday was tracked as part of November last year and will be part of December this year.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not looking at it from the Switch angle. I'm just seeing potential for Sony to increase sales and lock even more into their ecosystem. $199 is fine now but it should be permanently $199 next year and even cheaper next black Friday.

Most people that are interested in a PS4 will probably go ahead and grab it with 3 games for $199. Do you think there is a large market that has held off buying it with 3 games at $199 but will suddenly jump in at $199 base? Sure $149 would move units, but how many more would it move than they are already moving at $199?

In the end, Sony has crossed 100m units and their focus is likely on maximizing profits and won't lower it further for a few more units sold if it cuts into profits.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
You sound like you're the perfect target audience for Nintendo.

Dec 20, 2017
Well deserved by Nintendo. For a split second heading into the weekend, I was thinking of buying a third. I love this device.

Jun 17, 2018
Wait a mint, this doesn't make sense. Nintendo has always appealed to families, whether it was the Wii, SNES, DS, NES... Having a "gimmick" on any given system doesnt change that.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Joke post?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
true nintendo will always be the kiddy, ALWAYS

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
All those poor souls with the old model...

I recently bought the newer Switch model back on Thanksgiving as a Christmas gift for my nephews & was thinking of swapping out my older Switch model for that newer model, but after a while of thinking, I decided to let them have the newer Switch model, because I don't want to be a dick by doing something that's deceitful. That's not me.

That's despite me spending my own money to buy the Switches, as I've also bought a Switch for myself back a few years ago.

Last edited:

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Here's a scenario. New XBox and PS5 doesn't move the needle enough in 2020 and beyond because thanks to an almost decade long nutritious diet of mobile games, next gen becomes the generation where graphics truly don't matter. Switch Pro drops amidst all the chaos and gamers say ''Fuckit! portability over hardware!" A new era of indie gamer domination ensues do mainly to the fact that every Switch Pro comes with a version Super Mario Maker renamed Super Indie Maker hard coded into the console.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

This post is giving me gamefaqs flashbacks.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's almost like there can be different products with different target audiences.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I think it speaks volumes about the appeal of the Switch that it managed to have a killer Black Friday with the same bundle from last year. Like hot dang this thing is on fire. Shame that the lite hasn't caught on yet. Hopefully that changes with bundles next year.

Sony and Microsoft are also moving units which is great. Yeah sales are down compared to previous years but hey that's expected as they are getting on in years. Happy that everyone on paper managed to have a great Black Friday.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
People can spin it how they want, but at the end of the day Nintendo has hardware on the market for those that don't want to pay the full price of a Nintendo Switch and it plays the same games.

Though records show that most people want to be able to play games on the go and on TV. And the original, standard Switch caters to both.

Wut? Stahp, stahp.

These console wars make me laugh.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Antitendo

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I like to see a strong Nintendo, I feel that the two next gen consoles will have a negative effect on Switch sales.
Marketing and hype will make sure these consoles will be talked about the most everywhere and this will eat into mind share.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

This reminds me of that time we dug up the old Usenet posts from rec.games from the early to mid 1990s to see what fanboyism was like back then, and there was that one guy that kept making derogatory names for Nintendo:

The "Nofundo" one was hilarious and stuck with me all these years. Gaming fanboyism never changes man.

On the subject of choosing a video game.....my five cents....

Personally, I think the Nintendo is a piece of right wing garbage akin to the
IBM PC. Slow, out of date, but heavily marketed so that mindless dweenies will
think it's the hottest thing since Zelda had her first period. I have yet TO
SEE A SINGLE GAME ON THE THING SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER THAN STUFF I PLAYED ON MY
OLD ATARI 800 SEVEN YEARS AGO.....Yes, there are some nice games, but they do
not do anything extraordinary and in fact clearly show the glaring limitations
of the thing's inferior pre-VLSI hardware.

On the subject of the Sega Genesis and the Turbografix 16. At least these guys
are using hardware invented after the Apple II, give 'em credit! The graphics
in these games are NICE! I really can't give a decent opinion as to which is
better, they're both fantastic!

But now I get to stand on my soapbox and have some fun. Correct me if I am
wrong, but isn't the Atari 7800 superior hardware wise to the NES? I heard
thing could manipulate 64 BIG sprites at once. It was developed right when
the slump hit the videogame industry, and two fantastic and innovative games
Rescue at fractalus and Ballblazer NEVER got the recognition they deserved.
I have yet to see ANYTHING on the NES half as good as these wondrous
creations from Lucasfilm. All I ever see are variations on the horizontal/
vertical scrolling find the magic trinket and or blow it up while a host of
randomly drawn stick figures get in your way theme. I'd rather pay 25 cents
in an arcade and at least get decent graphics and sound.

I mean damn. Switch some of the names around and this stuff would be right at home.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
It's genuinely funny how terrible and deluded the opinions of supposedly informed people on an enthusiast message board can be.

It's genuinely funny that you're deluded in thinking Nintendo is putting out quality AAA games this past year, they've put out a few titles in their key franchises, but most of them aren't so great.

I get it people like Nintendo, but no matter what you say, my Switch isn't being played because the content isn't there, and when it is, it's too expensive for what it is, and Nintendo are too arrogant to put it on sale regularly like everyone else.

I want to use my Switch but I don't because there isn't enough content that I want to play. Without AAA 3rd party support you have to like or lump the 4-5 AAAesque Nintendo titles that they graciously bestow upon you, that's the reason the 3rd party AAA content is important, to give you something to do inbetween the big first party titles.

If you can't acknowledge that the Switch library is anemic compared to other systems and this year's titles aren't all that great, then we're not on the same planet.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's genuinely funny that you're deluded in thinking Nintendo is putting out quality AAA games this past year, they've put out a few titles in their key franchises, but most of them aren't so great.

I get it people like Nintendo, but no matter what you say, my Switch isn't being played because the content isn't there, and when it is, it's too expensive for what it is, and Nintendo are too arrogant to put it on sale regularly like everyone else.

Three of their games this year (Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, and Mario Maker 2) are sitting at 89, 87, and 88 metacritic respectfully. Even Ring Fit Adventure, a workout RPG game announced out of nowhere, is sitting on a metacritic score of 82, which is higher than Death Stranding.

The rest of your post is really just your personal taste. Which is fine, but that isn't proof that Nintendo's output this years isn't great. You just don't care for it.

That and Nintendo not putting things on sell isn't arrogance when people are willing to pay full price, as seen with Ring Fit Adventure being $80 and being sold-out and MK8, Breath of the Wild, and Smash Brothers never leaving sell charts despite them still being $60.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If you can't acknowledge that the Switch library is anemic compared to other systems and this year's titles aren't all that great, then we're not on the same planet.
You aren't, because "this year's Nintendo titles aren't that great" isn't an opinion majority of people here are gonna agree with.

The person you originally quoted about them "not even trying" wasn't even talking about their software output, they were talking about bundles.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of that time we dug up the old Usenet posts from rec.games from the early to mid 1990s to see what fanboyism was like back then, and there was that one guy that kept making derogatory names for Nintendo:

The "Nofundo" one was hilarious and stuck with me all these years. Gaming fanboyism never changes man.

I mean damn. Switch some of the names around and this stuff would be right at home.
God these are crazy. Someone straight up called Sonic mediocre in 1992.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
That and Nintendo not putting things on sell isn't arrogance when people are willing to pay full price, as seen with Ring Fit Adventure being $80 and being sold-out and MK8, Breath of the Wild, and Smash Brothers never leaving sell charts despite them still being $60.

Xbox and PS4 put their titles on sale regularly, the past week's sale had many titles that were mere months old on for very good discount, Nintendo never does this they came out one time and said some lame excuse about not devauling their software or some nonsense, it's arrogant of them.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Xbox and PS4 put their titles on sale regularly, the past week's sale had many titles that were mere months old on for very good discount, Nintendo never does this they came out one time and said some lame excuse about not devauling their software or some nonsense, it's arrogant of them.

And again, it isn't arrogance not to put your games on sell when they're constantly selling, like Breath of the Wild still being on sell charts across the world despite it being almost three years old and still $60. And Nintendo does put their games on sell, it just isn't very often nor a steep cut like them selling Smash Brothers for $30.

Arrogant would be them selling their games at full price and the game bombed or has extremely lackluster sells.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume that the Switch is going to steadily outsell all the other consoles until the next gen drops. That is a pretty safe assumption, right? It is a pretty new console, so it should have a much larger market to sell to.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

What gimmick does the Switch have? That its a handheld and tv system? I'm going to guess you think VR is a gimmick as well.

EDIT; Fuck I didn't see the ban before quoting. Betting that wasn't satire though. Read like any other comment for system war convos.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It says right in the post you're responding to why they don't lower the price: because they still sell at maximum price. That's not arrogance. Zelda at one point had an attach rate of 1.1. Why would they lower the price? We may not like it, but it works out for them.