• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
What gimmick does the Switch have? That its a handheld and tv system? I'm going to guess you think VR is a gimmick as well.

EDIT; Fuck I didn't see the ban before quoting. Betting that wasn't satire though. Read like any other comment for system war convos.

Well, the Switch does have the split Joy Cons that can act as their own controllers, and inserting into stuff like the ring in Ring Fit Adventure and cardboard.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, it's so over-the-top that it's hard for me to imagine it as anything more than satire.

It's like one of those joke posts Soph would make.

Leaving a /s at the end is a sure way to let someone know. I'm just going to assume if someone doesn't do that, then they want it to read seriously. I've seen way too many console warriors who are dead ass to have doubt.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Leaving a /s at the end is a sure way to let someone know. I'm just going to assume if someone doesn't do that, then they want it to read seriously. I've seen way too many console warriors who are dead ass to have doubt.
I tend to assume that actual console warriors on ERA are more discreet in their console warring, as opposed to somewhere like GameFAQs.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Pokemon. A less expensive model in Lite. Black Friday. It's the perfect storm.

I mean, the circumstances surrounding Pokemon alone (2 versions to double dip, 50% price increase from predecessors, the first console main line title) would have made any month it releases in the strongest month of the year.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's just being multifunctional tbh.

A Gimmick imo would be at the expense of something integral.

That isn't how gimmick is usually defined. Using the dictionary definition:

an ingenious or novel mechanical device

a trick or device used to attract business or attention

www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of GIMMICK

a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus; an ingenious or novel mechanical device : gadget; an important feature that is not immediately apparent : catch… See the full definition

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I dont understand...there are NO eshop games and NO Netflix. How does this piece of junk keep selling?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's genuinely funny that you're deluded in thinking Nintendo is putting out quality AAA games this past year, they've put out a few titles in their key franchises, but most of them aren't so great.

I get it people like Nintendo, but no matter what you say, my Switch isn't being played because the content isn't there, and when it is, it's too expensive for what it is, and Nintendo are too arrogant to put it on sale regularly like everyone else.

I want to use my Switch but I don't because there isn't enough content that I want to play. Without AAA 3rd party support you have to like or lump the 4-5 AAAesque Nintendo titles that they graciously bestow upon you, that's the reason the 3rd party AAA content is important, to give you something to do inbetween the big first party titles.

If you can't acknowledge that the Switch library is anemic compared to other systems and this year's titles aren't all that great, then we're not on the same planet.
It sounds like the system never was for you. Switch was likely never going to see brand new AAA titles outside of Nintendo key franchises because that part of the industry spends all its time on higher end graphics. Nintendo also has never really funded 3rd parties for AAA development either and I doubt Nintendo could convince any company of porting their big AAA game over. Instead Nintendo will often fund smaller titles in the A to AA range, and recently seems to be starting to do collabs and such with indies.

I mean, I've had a ton of games to play this year on Switch and I'm still missing some big titles that I want to get.

I tend to assume that actual console warriors on ERA are more discreet in their console warring, as opposed to somewhere like GameFAQs.
You'd be surprised. Just check how much console warring there has always been around the Monster Hunter franchise. From hopping over to Nintendo systems and then hopping back over to Playstation.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It sounds like the system never was for you. Switch was likely never going to see brand new AAA titles outside of Nintendo key franchises because that part of the industry spends all its time on higher end graphics. Nintendo also has never really funded 3rd parties for AAA development either and I doubt Nintendo could convince any company of porting their big AAA game over. Instead Nintendo will often fund smaller titles in the A to AA range, and recently seems to be starting to do collabs and such with indies.

I mean, I've had a ton of games to play this year on Switch and I'm still missing some big titles that I want to get.

You'd be surprised. Just check how much console warring there has always been around the Monster Hunter franchise. From hopping over to Nintendo systems and then hopping back over to Playstation.

But Nintendo did do just that with Dragon Quest XI, a personal request from Iwata, and Blizzard with Diablo 3 and Overwatch 1 and 2. Then there is Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 and the new one coming next year.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
We still have people on Era calling Nintendo's pricing strategy arrogant?

Time to enroll into business class 101.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imagine trying to post something negative about the switch. It's already had some of the best entries in Nintendo franchise history, has the craziest variety of available games. All the dooms etc. Fighting games. plus many more.

is it perfect, no. But no platform is and the switch is probably already my favourite Nintendo console ever and I was literally raised on the nes and SNES.

ill tell you one thing, desert island....what would you own. A switch with its current library or any other current Gen console with its up to 3 year library. Switch no question.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Nintendo did do just that with Dragon Quest XI, a personal request from Iwata, and Blizzard with Diablo 3 and Overwatch 1 and 2. Then there is Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 and the new one coming next year.
I probably should have clarified, I meant new upcoming and in production titles since the person seemed to be talking about wanting new games and not lots of old ports going by their previous posts in the chain. The new Doom and Dragon Quest 11 would fit into that criteria as they were announced for Switch when the games were announced (DQ11 is just a victim of timing and troubled development). Most AAA production however is focused on just PS4, Xbox and PC, and would be hard to convince a lot of them to port some of their games over. Even more so now with the next generation of Xbox and PS around the corner.

Also it should be addressed too, AAA is not the end all be all, there's a whole spectrum of games that can be played. There's plenty to do between first party titles and I wish people would explore and open up their minds to different things.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I probably should have clarified, I meant new upcoming and in production titles since the person seemed to be talking about wanting new games and not lots of old ports going by their previous posts in the chain. The new Doom and Dragon Quest 11 would fit into that criteria as they were announced for Switch when the games were announced (DQ11 is just a victim of timing and troubled development). Most AAA production however is focused on just PS4, Xbox and PC, and would be hard to convince a lot of them to port some of their games over. Even more so now with the next generation of Xbox and PS around the corner.

Also it should be addressed too, AAA is not the end all be all, there's a whole spectrum of games that can be played. There's plenty to do between first party titles and I wish people would explore and open up their minds to different things.

Thanks for the classification.

In that regard, Nintendo is also doing better with MK11, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Overwatch 2. I believe there are others, but that is from the top of my head. Overall, western developers and Square and giving Switch releases at the same time as Xbox and PS5 for the most part.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't acknowledge that the Switch library is anemic compared to other systems and this year's titles aren't all that great, then we're not on the same planet.
Seems like the naysayers have returned. "Nintendo is DOOMED despite being the biggest Black Friday item! Nintendo is DOOMED for having a hefty 2019 release list (consisting mostly of 3rd parties no less) despite the delay of Animal Crossing New Horizons!"

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's genuinely funny that you're deluded in thinking Nintendo is putting out quality AAA games this past year, they've put out a few titles in their key franchises, but most of them aren't so great.

They have. Plus what you said about their titles not being so great is only your opinion.

I get it people like Nintendo, but no matter what you say, my Switch isn't being played because the content isn't there, and when it is, it's too expensive for what it is, and Nintendo are too arrogant to put it on sale regularly like everyone else.

Why would a company like Nintendo want to lower the price of their product & make less profits if they're still selling big at the same price? It doesn't make any sense.

That's not arrogance, it's being smart in running a business.

Xbox and PS4 put their titles on sale regularly, the past week's sale had many titles that were mere months old on for very good discount, Nintendo never does this they came out one time and said some lame excuse about not devaluing their software or some nonsense, it's arrogant of them.

That's because that Nintendo has more 1st/2nd party titles that are selling very well, & because they have more value & appeal than most of Microsoft's & Sony's 1st/2nd party titles.

That is why you see Microsoft & Sony lowering the price of their 1st/2nd party games & regularly putting them on sale after a short while. Again, it's smart business with Nintendo, not arrogance.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I want to use my Switch but I don't because there isn't enough content that I want to play. Without AAA 3rd party support you have to like or lump the 4-5 AAAesque Nintendo titles that they graciously bestow upon you, that's the reason the 3rd party AAA content is important, to give you something to do inbetween the big first party titles.

"Aren't so great?"

We've gotten what many consider to be the best Fire Emblem and the best Luigi's Mansion, a beautiful remake of one of the most beloved Zelda's, an acclaimed new IP from Platinum, and a Mario Maker 2 that's pretty much an improvement in every way from one.

Every single one of these is among the most acclaimed games of the year.

They've had far and away the best output of any publisher.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
perhaps the Lite is somewhat suffering the problem all past Nintendo Portables had in the west.

people just prefer consoles when given the choice. the OG Switch being able to do both is too good of a deal.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I think I know why switch games are so pricey.

People are netflixing the shit out of the games. As in multiple people are sharing 1 account to play games. I think you can do the same on other consoles but to me it seems more prevalent on switch.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017

People are netflixing the shit out of the games. As in multiple people are sharing 1 account to play games. I think you can do the same on other consoles but to me it seems more prevalent on switch.

Sharing an account on the switch is much more difficult than PS4 and Xbox one

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Well no surprise there. They just released Pokemon's best gen and great library of games.

Last edited:

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany

Not the reason at all. And just because you have to choose an account before starting the game doesnt mean it works like Netflix. You can have you Nintendo account on multiple Switches, but you can't play at the same time and you cant play offline with more then 1 Switch with this account.

Apr 21, 2018

Is this a joke post? Switch has the highest rated exclusives for any console this year. Nintendo is the highest reviewed publisher. Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Mario Maker, Astral Chain, and Link's Awakening all outscored big releases like Star Wars, Death Stranding, and Gears 5.

I get everyone has a subjective opinion, but your head must be buried in the sand to not realize that the Switch had a stellar lineup of exclusives from June on.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
Xbox and PS4 put their titles on sale regularly, the past week's sale had many titles that were mere months old on for very good discount, Nintendo never does this they came out one time and said some lame excuse about not devauling their software or some nonsense, it's arrogant of them.

This is one of those things that is assumed to be true but simply isn't. First party titles are on sale all of the time. Check Best Buy and Amazon.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wrong about the Lite. I genuinely thought it'd start flying off shelves in November, but it seems most consumers still prefer the traditional Switch model. Which honestly makes me pretty happy.

I do love my Lite though! Great companion to my OG Switch, which now never leaves its dock.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

This is probably the dumbest thing I've heard on this site all year. And that's saying something. This is elitist and flat out ridiculous to claim, especially given that it's completely subjective to assess the quality of a game lineup.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Lmao

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao

Lmao!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I was wrong about the Lite. I genuinely thought it'd start flying off shelves in November, but it seems most consumers still prefer the traditional Switch model. Which honestly makes me pretty happy.

I do love my Lite though! Great companion to my OG Switch, which now never leaves its dock.

Yep I have to admit the same. The current situation proves that people value the actual "switching" part of the device. Even in Japan the OG Switch with some exceptions is selling more than the Lite model. This being said I still believe that the Lite model was the right move and while it's not "flying off shelves" it will still sell a lot during holiday seasons.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This thread keeps delivering but I wish my sarcasm detector was better lol

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if I've ever disagreed more with a post on this forum. Describing the Switch library as anemic is like describing the Pacific Ocean as dry.

Oct 25, 2017
Winner winner cucco dinner
giphy.gif

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Selling evergreen games at full price is the most astonishing thing about Nintendo.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Yep I have to admit the same. The current situation proves that people value the actual "switching" part of the device. Even in Japan the OG Switch with some exceptions is selling more than the Lite model. This being said I still believe that the Lite model was the right move and while it's not "flying off shelves" it will still sell a lot during holiday seasons.

I'm glad we're at the point where the hybrid aspect is clearly integral to the Switch's success. Anecdotally I've been surprised at how whenever I ask someone if they want to get a Lite (because the OG model is above their price range), they always reply with "Yeah but I want the docking part too".

With that said I do wish that we'd get splits. We have shipments for the Americas but getting splits for NPD months would be very interesting.