• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Saudia Arabia: "Whoops. Our bad."
The West: "They apologized. Let's move on from this sad but unimportant event."

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the 15 people who get interrogated will be the actual team and not 15 other people the King dislikes.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, so it was just a straightforward dismemberment that went wrong, if by "went wrong" you mean "was discovered by Turkish authorities".

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The Saudi government is awful. They are terrorists imo and no one should make deals with them. This is well known but the western big players (US, Germany, Great Britain ect.) still "support" them...money is still valued more then morals or life it seems.

That being said I think it is a bit hypocritic from the us to do sanctions on them. If I recall correctly over the years the us government ordered the killing of many people around the world and planned and executed coups to replace entire governments of foreign countries....I didn't see them getting in trouble over that..

Honestly this is my point of view as well, if you can whataboutism any issue, why do we have laws to begin with? Hypocrisy should be punishable by death.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately do not understand how Saudi's thought they could just murder him and no one would ask any questions

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
[Puts up a hand]

"Yeah, umm...why was the journalist being interrogated in the first place?"

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately do not understand how Saudi's thought they could just murder him and no one would ask any questions

A POTUP who declares journalists enemy of the people, goes off on WaPo. Not to mention how much money they give him and his son in law.

Might have something to do with it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
peopledie.jpg

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I bet the White House was like "Could you at least admit you did it accidentally so we can keep selling you weapons?"

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing they brought the bone saw in case the interrogation went wrong.

Fuck outta here SA, they knew what was going to happen and they were banking on nobody asking questions.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Can you accidentally drown people by water boarding? Saudi should be sanctioned by the entire world for doing this to journalists. But I know they won't. Western sanctions won't do anything at all.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, as much of a fucking piece of shit as Trump is and as despicable as this situation is, if the KSA faces no real repercussions from this from the US that's not unusual and pretty hard to blame on Trump. That's been the US's policy with dealing with Saudi Arabia for as long as I can remember. What Trump said today, although the unneeded little back and forth about if he's a US citizen or not was a bit gross, was actually 100% accurate in the way the US sees them.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Can you accidentally drown people by water boarding? Saudi should be sanctioned by the entire world for doing this to journalists. But I know they won't. Western sanctions won't do anything at all.
it'd be *very* hard to do. Youd have to actively try to drown them. Turn a hose on and keep it near the person's nostril constantly, completely covering their mouth for quite a bit of time.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I recently chose not to comment on topics concerning my country in this forum, but I can't help but say these have been a pretty scary few days. Any semblance of hope I had in our "reformist" leader was thrown out of the window with the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. Our economy is in peril and our incompetent monarchist leaders chose to jeopardize that over some journalist, sanctions would destroy and destabilize the only semi stable region in the middle east.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Honestly this is my point of view as well, if you can whataboutism any issue, why do we have laws to begin with? Hypocrisy should be punishable by death.
That would be one way to finally do away with the Republican party. Then the Democrats can take their rightful place as America's right-wing party and you can actually get a left-leaning progressive alternative as their opposition.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Can someone more knowledgeable than me tell me why when the Russians do it Trump congratulates them and the world moves on?

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
Trump: "Oh it was an accident. Here's those weapons you wanted."

I'm guessing this was coordinated with the administration on some level.

Trump was transparently leaving himself multiple outs in the interview. His biggest tell was the same line as with Russia, where they "strongly denied" it.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These poor agents, can you imagine asking some reasonable questions of your countryman and he suddenly dies on you and you panic and cut up his body?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saudis will probably execute the Agents who did it so they can try and save face, "Justice will be done" "Rogue Elements"

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I agree that my(the US) government's not squeaky clean here but I actually do think there's a difference between coups, killing soldiers or militants and killing a dude on a self-induced exile who's now just a journalist. Again, that's not to defend past US actions but I do feel they're different. And frankly our secret coup days seem to be behind us now, for all I know, seems to be rather overt shit now which you can hate or not, that's everyone's prerogative.

Frankly, I think everything should be overt and in the open and if you can't make your case publicly for needing to off someone whether through a drone strike, military raid or while grabbing marriage papers in your embassy you should get fucked. I can't and won't pretend to know the personal background of everyone a government's killed but if it's in your best interest to deny it then I think it's safe to say you fucked up.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The purpose of this Saudi statement will be to dissociate any responsibility for what happened from MBS and the Saudi leaders. Trump's already let drop the line of "rogue killers". It's the hallmark of murderous, corrupt governments that it is never the leader's fault. And blaming the pawns will all be good practice for Trump on how he will handle the conclusion of the Russia investigation.

It's difficult to watch the pure, shameless bullshit in service of money and the subsequent denial of justice over an atrocity.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like that's almost worse than saying they murdered him. What the fuck kind of interrogation techniques are you using that someone can killed by it?

More likely they'll say it had nothing to do with government. He was murdered but not by them. The whole thing is incredibly sad and frankly quite scary.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Whoops we actually prepared and sent for a 13 man murder squad accidentally whoops

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this why Trump said it might have ben 'rogue killers'
Yup. from what I have seen the apparent plan is to Blame the General in charge of the operation. The Prince was caught authorizing a "kidnapping" by intel agencies. So they have their cover the stupid General acted improperly. The whole intel capture of the orders could have been staged at this point to cover for the killing

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
So they're probably going to nominate a couple of scapegoats for the blame, punish them and say "well, we'll do better next time!"

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. from what I have seen the apparent plan is to Blame the General in charge of the operation. The Prince was caught authorizing a "kidnapping" by intel agencies. So they have their cover the stupid General acted improperly. The whole intel capture of the orders could have been staged at this point to cover for the killing

This sounds likely. Next, MBS will torture some guys until they confess they are behind the killing and then they'll be sentenced to death or disappear.