• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
There is official word that Khashoggi gave his phone to fiancee upon entering the consulate, and told her if he doesn't come out within a specific time frame that she has to call a Turkish official that would handle this matter.

Given that he knew he could possibly never come out, this "accident" bullshit doesn't fly.

source for what I said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45812399
Despite this, he gave his Turkish fiancée Hatice Cengiz two mobile phones and told her to call an adviser to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan if he did not come back out.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
an interrogation gone wrong
not sure if they are talking about an assassination or just a torture session that was overly extended.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Accidentally killing a regime critic sounds like a pretty impressive magic trick. You end up with one less thorn in your eye with none of that pesky accountability nonsense.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Saudis did this because they saw how easily the Russians got away with poisoning Skripal with Trump in office.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"We're not saying we killed him, but we're not saying we didn't kill him."

Same effect.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. from what I have seen the apparent plan is to Blame the General in charge of the operation. The Prince was caught authorizing a "kidnapping" by intel agencies. So they have their cover the stupid General acted improperly. The whole intel capture of the orders could have been staged at this point to cover for the killing
If this is just a lazy cover like that, I doubt it will do much good in the long run. MBS has proven so far he is a reckless fool who doesn't think about the consequences of his actions, just assumes that the world will bend over backwards to give him what he wants. If a highly respected, and actually loyal journalist like Khashoggi was outright murdered, then he will be far less careful with other critics, at home and abroad. I fear the bodies will just keep pilling up from here on out.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
So why isn't the thread title:
CNN: Saudis preparing to admit journalist was "killed".

Because this whole killing him by accident is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Did they get to the bottom of that cleaning crew being allowed in the building before the investigators showed up, or no?

Oct 25, 2017
Woops, the 15 people we sent to Turkey for one day accidentally killed him and then he fell on a bonesaw one of our guys always carries around. Our bad..

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The victim was found strangled, a bullet in his head and a knife in his heart.

The police doesn't rule out an accident or suicide though.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
The victim was found strangled, a bullet in his head and a knife in his heart.

The police doesn't rule out an accident or suicide though.
The Final Destination movies have proved to me that this is indeed possible.

Slipped on water from a running faucet. On the way down, tie got caught on the cabinet hinge, which strangled him. He struggled to gain his footing, grasping everywhere for support, slips & pulls open a drawer which sends the knife flying which stabs him. He's still alive though. Then he slips on a bunch of silverware, bumping the cabinet in front of him, the gun he keeps in there drops, goes off and shoots him in the head.

*cue bad guys backing out of the room slowly*

score01

Oct 27, 2017
doozy_of_a_day_tucker_dale.gif

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if all or most of the rich countries actually do this and we never find out. I think it's just that they've been caught red-handed and everybody is jumping on it.

If there is any truth to the "interrogation gone wrong" comment, I don't think they can't possibly make anything up that will convince anybody. They wanted to hurt him and they murdered him, no matter whether it was accidentally, a screw-up or a completely deliberate crime.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
This is 100% going to be the response. It's almost as if Universal Human Rights aren't Universal at all.
Oh, without a doubt. Trump already gave himself multiple reasons for not doing anything about it:
-Rogue killers did it.
-Saudi King said he doesn't know anything about it.
-He's not a US citizen.
-It didn't happen on US soil.
-He doesn't want to lose US jobs by doing anything that'd stop the weapons sales to the Saudis
-Accidental whoopsie daisy death.

Most likely reason, it'd end whatever personal profit he makes from his ties with the Saudis in general.

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
how do you accidentally murder someone?
what will come of this?

Don't lie fam, we've all done it at some point! /s

Also: US won't do shit, they are too busy counting $$$. Remember that time the US voted against a UN resolution against executing gay people for having consensuel intercourse?

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
If SA produces a statement about the accidental death of the journalist it will not surpise me if we learn about how 15 SA civil servants very sadly accidentally brutally scorched themselves to ashes while smoking.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The Final Destination movies have proved to me that this is indeed possible.

Slipped on water from a running faucet. On the way down, tie got caught on the cabinet hinge, which strangled him. He struggled to gain his footing, grasping everywhere for support, slips & pulls open a drawer which sends the knife flying which stabs him. He's still alive though. Then he slips on a bunch of silverware, bumping the cabinet in front of him, the gun he keeps in there drops, goes off and shoots him in the head.

*cue bad guys backing out of the room slowly*

Is the journalist Mr Bean or that woman from staircase?

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why they'd even admit it.

It's not like they're on trial and getting a plea bargain from the West. They'll face sanctions either way. And I'm sure Trump would be perfectly satisfied if they just continue to deny and maybe do a sham internal investigation that shows they didn't do anything. Now he's forced to address it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why they'd even admit it.

It's not like they're on trial and getting a plea bargain from the West. They'll face sanctions either way. And I'm sure Trump would be perfectly satisfied if they just continue to deny and maybe do a sham internal investigation that shows they didn't do anything. Now he's forced to address it.
I think Turkey said they have proof?

Yeah officials did say from what iirc that there was proof so wouldnt be surprised if they're trying to get ahead of the story

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ever since MH17 it feels like we're in a brave new era of full-on diplomatic blunders.

How many cases of assassination in embassies/consulates have there been, like ever?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
So... last I heard, when they finally let investigators into the room, it was freshly cleaned up (thanks cleaning crew) and freshly painted.

Surely that's standard procedure. You know, cleaning up all those pesky clues before people get there.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is against the TOS then feel free to remove it, but there is an Activist by the name of Iyad El-Baghdadi who has been campaigning and publicizing all the atrocities Saudi Arabia and other dictatorships around the Mediterranean/Middle East are scheming and committing. He's doing all he can to get the word out and lobby for justice on Jamal Kashoggi and is making an appeal for some financial help as spending all his time on this. He also has a podcast called Arab Tyrant Manual that I recommend to people to get a glimpse of his work.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glen Greenwald on twitter made a decent point. This excuse is bullshit. You know it and the Saudi's know you know it. This isnt for you though. This is so that everyone can go back to the status quo after this without being raked over the coals.

Obama would have immediately put up severe sanctions however.

Fucking lol.

Obama sat with his thumb up his ass while the Saudi started a conflict that is estimated to starve 14 million people this year. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38767874

Actually let me correct that, he helped the Saudis to accomplish that.