• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
One thing i'll never understand is how can you believe that a religion that appeared 500 years after christianity is the one true religion?It's like that old meme

can-i-copy-your-homework-yeah-just-change-it-up-10648076.png

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Islamophobia
On another note. When she says that they're going to give her a new name, people do realise that Arabic names aren't Islamic names right? This obsession in forcing converts to change their names is ridiculous. So long as the name doesn't translate to something offensive, and any all names are acceptable.

And the name she chose is worrying as well as it mean martyrs in Arabic.

I fear that only is she going cause a lot of problem for Muslim but given that she suffers from mental illness and is vulnerable I worry that she will end up being a suicide bomber.

Most radicals are actually converted for some weird reason and are some of the most arrogant people I have personally met. They also terrorize elders, which they feel have not lived a proper Muslim life. The fucking irony of some that 2 weeks prior was smoking, eating pork, and suddenly sees the light and needs to teach everyone else about how kufar they are.

I have never met a revert but my ex-boss is a Muslim and he was super arrogant and kept preaching about his religion and just would not shut up. He also held some dumb views like believing that mental illness was a western disease nor did he understand why people would commit suicide.

The dude is also a sexist idiot as he openly said that if he didn't have religion he would be a player and would cheat on his wife, he also admitted that he tells his atheist friend that why doesn't he just cheat on his girlfriend if he doesn't believe in god and didn't understand why his friend got annoyed at him. He clearly thinks that being a Muslim is gives him a sense of morals which is ridiculous as I am an ex-Muslim and I haven't lost my sense of morals.

Also one of my cousin-in-law is a bit of an idiot and is a homophobic even saying that gays should just go back into their closet and was comparing it to a lost of morals and if we accept homosexual how long will it be till we accept pedo. I even challenged him on that asking him that doesn't Islam teaches not to judge others and only let god judge them? But nope he wasn't having any of that.

He's also very controlling of my cousin, doesn't let her see her mother and has stated that he isn't going let his daughter go to school.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Considering the merciless public lashing she got for calling out the Vatican about the sexual assault cover-ups 20 years ago that we as a society promptly swept under the rug all the way up until the rug wasn't touching the floor anymore, I think I'm willing to give her a pass on that.

Same.

She's a person with a lot of mental issues whose past I would not wish on anybody. If this is how she finds some mental peace, I'll gladly grant her that.

Broadcasting this thing and now giving her continuous public lashings is, at this point, just...

(and no, I'm not a fan of any abrahamic religion, for very obvious reasons)

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
There is no such thing as an "intelligent theologian", as theology cannot be deduced, Abrahmic religions in particular are dogmatic by its very nature. Big difference between studying religion from a historical and societal aspect, but theology that tries to explain/prove concepts in religion is complete nonsense like psychics/palm reading/tarot cards/etc when it's used to "deduce". Any "intelligent theologian" would never conclude that, such a theologian is just a biased adherent that seeks to validate, it's just subvert attempts of influence and conversion of others.

Ludwig Feuerbach's works are good place to start reading about the criticism of theology.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing i'll never understand is how can you believe that a religion that appeared 500 years after christianity is the one true religion?It's like that old meme

Hmm the belief is that the Bible was altered by Constantine or others thus destroying it's original purity. Introducing uncertainties.

Therefore, the Archangel Gabriel gave again the words of god to Mohammed, so that there would be no doubt as to its authenticity.

That is why there are lots of similarities

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Hmm the belief is that the Bible was altered by Constantine or others thus destroying it's original purity. Introducing uncertainties.

Therefore, the Archangel Gabriel gave again the words of god to Mohammed, so that there would be no doubt as to its authenticity.

That is why there are lots of similarities
He gave the word to a dude that couldn't read or write, in a cave and somehow no one else saw Gabriel?All religions are bs, but Islam just doesn't make any sense.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This gives a new light to her SNL incident when she tear up a picture of the Pope.

She said it from the heart when she called us to fight against the real enemy

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You are wrong. In Islam, Christianity and Judaism were prescribed for the people and time period that they were revealed in and Islam is the last one and perfected for all of humanity.

It's in the Quran way before the caliphate was formed.

Educate yourself before correcting others.

I don't think that's true. Quran specifically states that Christians and Jews not to be converted to Muhammad's religion. Kafirun 109 says "To you your religion, to me mine" about their beliefs. Quran also states in same surah that everyone shall practice the religion they choose and none can interfere that. That alone shows there are no superiority between religions in Quran.

Quran never mentions Islam as Superior but as pure. Quran predicts unlike Christians and Jews, followers of Muhammed will protect their book from changes and additions. It predicts it'll remain as pure as it was when it descended. It says both testament books were corrupted with later additions but still valid holy books to people who believe them. Those people are called "Ahl-e Qutb", or "people of the book". They're considered as believers and their lives are not be interfered. All Arabic empires gave the people of the book protection to some degree but relations with European nations always complicated things.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll never be not puzzled by the name change thing. There must be some sort of true-ism implication bound to islamic faith somewhere I can't grasp.

Oct 27, 2017
This is just another conversion (of many) she had... and most likely not her last by the way.
In any case, she hasn't been well for ages. Mental illness is nothing to laugh about.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's true. Quran specifically states that Christians and Jews not to be converted to Muhammad's religion. Kafirun 109 says "To you your religion, to me mine" about their beliefs. Quran also states in same surah that everyone shall practice the religion they choose and none can interfere that. That alone shows there are no superiority between religions in Quran.

Quran never mentions Islam as Superior but as pure. Quran predicts unlike Christians and Jews, followers of Muhammed will protect their book from changes and additions. It predicts it'll remain as pure as it was when it descended. It says both testament books were corrupted with later additions but still valid holy books to people who believe them. Those people are called "Ahl-e Qutb", or "people of the book". They're considered as believers and their lives are not be interfered. All Arabic empires gave the people of the book protection to some degree but relations with European nations always complicated things.
Correct and well informed post. I will just add that during the Arab expansion into the Middle East and North Africa, the people of the book were taxed a little bit more than converts. But, like you said, they were left alone. Not what happened to the Muslims that were in Spain when the caliphate was expunged

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That we can agree on, but Islam makes the least sense and I'll never understand how people can believe that crap.
That price must go to Mormons, hands down. Somehow arguing that Jesus discovered North America, did most of the stuff he is famous for there, and then whisked away back to ancient Palestine in time for his crucifixion.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That we can agree on, but Islam makes the least sense and I'll never understand how people can believe that crap.

Got some hot takes here, I see.

I believe that crap.

It's not enough getting awkward looks from racists at work, or being constantly demonized on Fox News.

Tell me how YOU really feel.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Got some hot takes here, I see.

I believe that crap.

It's not enough getting awkward looks from racists at work, or being constantly demonized on Fox News.

Tell me how YOU really feel.
What hot takes?All religions are bullshit and Islam is no different.I don't care if you're offended by facts.

Duo VII

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
The last time I heard about her on the news, she was in bad shape. Taking about how having a mental illness was ruining her life/family and she was living in a hotel room pleading for help. I guess she got it. It sucks, because I absolutely love her music.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I don't think there's anything particularly different about Islam's believability compared to other religions.

Yes, it's all BS.

I don't see how Christianity is any more believable. We don't even know for sure if a historical Jesus even existed. The current Bible books clearly chosen and cannonized. Tons of internal contradictions. Myths clearly borrowed from other religions. The Trinity is a mess, etc.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The last time I heard about her on the news, she was in bad shape. Taking about how having a mental illness was ruining her life/family and she was living in a hotel room pleading for help. I guess she got it. It sucks, because I absolutely love her music.

Yeah people here don't care about any of that though. They'd rather play the edgy teenager atheist card. "All religious are BS also I am so smart!".

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
I don't think there's anything particularly different about Islam's believability compared to other religions.

Yes, it's all BS.

I don't see how Christianity is any more believable. We don't even know for sure if a historical Jesus even existed. The current Bible books clearly chosen and cannonized. Tons of internal contradictions. Myths clearly borrowed from other religions. The Trinity is a mess, etc.
Obviously I don't believe in christianity either since I'm an atheist.What I ment is Islam makes less sense considering it appeared 500-600 years after christianity and was obviously inspired by it.

How many different versions of the bible are there though?
What does that even matter?

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Martyrs? Hope she's not going hardline with this.

"All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant"

So shitting on every other religion, nice.
Well Islam was established as an end of the road kind of religion with Muhammed being the last messenger. An end all be all affair.

Of course doomsday was supposed to happen soon after Islam became a thing but life goes on 14 centuries later. Whoops I guess.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Obviously I don't believe in christianity either since I'm an atheist.What I ment is Islam makes less sense considering it appeared 500-600 years after christianity and was obviously inspired by it.

I don't agree with your assessment.

You just ignorned my points. Your point might be valid if Islam accepted everything from Christianity and then added (like Christianity on judaism) but it doesn't. If it's a "correction" , coming later is irrelevant.

Just because your an atheist it doesn't mean youre arguments are sound. In this case, they aren't

Oct 27, 2017

It wasn't inspired by it though. A continuation or evolution or the purest form of the Abrahamic religions. That firmly places Jesus into the same level as the other prophets so to speak.

There's god, then the prophets. Jesus retains his role as the coming messiah, is considered birthed by a virgin but is the word of god. Not his son.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ooh, this is perfect.
The Christians are the PlayStation Fanboys
The Jews are the Nintendo fanboys
The Muslims are Xbox fanboys

And the Athiests are the PC Master Race.

Unfortunately it's not the same. Unlike subjective value assessments, religions all make claims about reality that can be objectively assessed.

It's not all opinion.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
On topic— while I'm glad she's found something fulfilling, I think her take is a bit reductory. The point of accepting a faith is that it's right for you, irrespective of the other stuff she is claiming.

Still really strange news to wake up to. I remember when Cat Stevens converted people were burning his albums.

So, I expect people to burn their...Spotify...play..lists? How do you do that kind of outrage in 2018...

Last edited:

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her, and what a beautiful name. That name btw cannot be phonetically pronounced in English

And to all the ignorant posters here, when you pick a religion, you have to do so by acknowledging the other religions are false, so there is nothing wrong in what she said.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Isn't this essentially what everyone who believes really feels? The idea of joining a religious institution means to me you believe that above all other, so by extension, you feel you've chose the "right" answer and every other is "wrong"

It's all redundant anyway, as although I have no problem with individual belief (as long you don't ascribe to the shitty sides of a faith) the institution of all religions is rotten to the core, so don't know why anyone would willingly choose to join them.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

Islam believes the original, unchanged Christianity and original, unchanged Judaism are both the one true religion and carry the same message. At the heart of it, It's the belief of monotheism, without associating partners or sons to God like the Christians did with Jesus.

To sum it up:
Jews reject Jesus
Christians worship Jesus
Muslims believe in Jesus, but only as a Prophet like Moses and Abraham that came before him.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Most religious people believe scripture points to the truth of their religion.

Unfortunately, they can't all be correct.

Hint: they can all be wrong.
They can't all be correct? It seems most of them agree on key points. The main differences seem to be in methods and traditions.
Good for her, and what a beautiful name. That name btw cannot be phonetically pronounced in English

And to all the ignorant posters here, when you pick a religion, you have to do so by acknowledging the other religions are false, so there is nothing wrong in what she said.
Isn't this essentially what everyone who believes really feels? The idea of joining a religious institution means to me you believe that above all other, so by extension, you feel you've chose the "right" answer and every other is "wrong"

It's all redundant anyway, as although I have no problem with individual belief (as long you don't ascribe to the shitty sides of a faith) the institution of all religions is rotten to the core, so don't know why anyone would willingly choose to join them.
I don't get this logic. You don't have to denounce other religions when you choose one. All you are doing is choosing a way of life that you feel strongly about.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's mostly just a Muslim/Christian thing. Most other religions can coexist just fine and have very syncretic followers.

Actually Muslims and Christians coexisted just fine in the Arab countries for hundred years with no problem until the European countries came and divided the people.

Also to your second comment, you should see how Muslims are treated in Xinjiang.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
They can't all be correct? It seems most of them agree on key points. The main differences seem to be in methods and traditions.

I don't get this logic. You don't have to denounce other religions when you choose one. All you are doing is choosing a way of life that you feel strongly about.

When you enter Islam, you say something called the Shahada, which translates to:

"There is no god but God."

So yes, you have to denounce the other regions to become a Muslim.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought her tearing up a picture of the Pope decades ago was a rebellion against organized religion, but if it was just a rebellion against a single religion, it's less of a statement.
It was in response to Catholic sex abuse of kids, so it was only directed at Christianity.

On topic, Good for her. She sounds a little weird though, going with the name "martyrs" in Arabic. I fear she is going to go full salaf, with a complete abaya with niqab and all. But I'm happy for her and hope the faith gives her peace.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This thread is the off-topic equivalent of console wars.
I'd say that award should go to any thread involving Apple/iphones or android.

Very interesting. Why, what's the phonetic transcription? What sounds would make it impossible?

Well, not all religions work like this, for example, japanese Buddhism and Shintoism aren't mutually exclusive at all. But even if this is the only possible way, it's a pretty arrogant thing to say

Most religions agree on key points? I really really doubt that. Like, which?

bwakh

Jan 16, 2018

9-Volt said:
Islam at first was "a religion only for Arab folks, we don't need that Roman shit" but tribal conflicts and rivalry with Byzantine during the Rashidun caliphate turned it into "we're powerful and rich enough to bring Islam and Arabic language to all over the world, so let's fucking do this!"

Agreed with most of what you say but I argued against your statement that Islam is just for the arabs. That simply isn't true.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
When you enter Islam, you say something called the Shahada, which translates to:

"There is no god but God."

So yes, you have to denounce the other regions to become a Muslim.
Other religions also believe in God, no? Even then, you can take that statement to mean that you are committing to a single belief system rather than denouncing others.
Most religions agree on key points? I really really doubt that. Like, which?
That there's something universal and omnipresent that runs throughout everything. The surrounding canon and practices are where the differences lie.