• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Washington (CNN)Leaders of the California Democratic Party on Saturday voted overwhelmingly to endorse Kevin de León for the US Senate over incumbent Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

De León, a more liberal, activist voice within the party, recently served as California State Senate president pro tempore and currently represents parts of Los Angeles. Feinstein, the leading Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is seeking her fifth full term in the Senate.
De León garnered 65% of the vote among the party's executive board members, Feinstein received 7% of the vote, and 28% voted "no endorsement." Sixty percent of the vote was needed for the party to officially endorse a candidate.
In a statement shortly after the endorsement, de León renewed his call for a debate against Feinstein and celebrated the win.

"Earning the endorsement of so many leaders and activists of the California Democratic Party isn't just an honor and a privilege; today's vote is a clear-eyed rejection of politics as usual in Washington, D.C.," de León said in the statement. "Through years of hard-won progress, we have proven to the world that California can forge a path for the rest of the nation."
Feinstein's campaign manager, Jeff Millman, touted the senator's Democratic primary election results.
"While 217 delegates expressed their view on Saturday, Senator Feinstein won by 2.1 million votes and earned 70% of the Democratic vote in the California Primary election, carrying every county by double digits over her opponent," Millman said in a statement. "We are confident that a large majority of California Democrats will vote to reelect Senator Feinstein in November."
The incumbent was also denied the California Democratic Party's endorsement in February when she sought it at the state's convention. Then, de León was not able to earn their endorsement outright, but he did secure enough votes (54%) to prevent one for Feinstein, who received just 37% of the delegates' votes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/15/poli...nne-feinstein-california-democrats/index.html

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Not surprising. After major wins by progressives like Ocasio-Cortez the brass finally gets that they need to get on board.

Nothing lost either, Feinstein is pretty much a undercover republican.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Feinstein has the best interest of the party in mind with her leadership. She seems more inclined to secure her tenure than direct a party that can affect change and secure leadership in government.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are expecting a Blue Wave in general elections but primaries are looking to be a bloodbath as well. People really want change. Even though Trump was the completely wrong direction for change DNC still needs to take notes.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It doesn't matter. Feingstein will still win by a landslide.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feinstein is one of the principal reasons, from her days in city government, that SF is preserved in Amber and had such wealth disparities.

In any case I am always a fan of the Democratic party removing the geriatrics and making room for long overdue new leadership.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are expecting a Blue Wave in general elections but primaries are looking to be a bloodbath as well. People really want change. Even though Trump was the completely wrong direction for change DNC still needs to take notes.
Feinstein's exactly the sort of position (safe blue seat) they should be primarying. CA's dumb jungle primaries are likely to prevent that from being a possibility though.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I'm sure Feinstein can continue to cozy up to police unions and healthcare lobbyists as a retiree, so it's not all bad for her.

Oct 27, 2017
I am of the opinion that the old guard Democrats are responsible for the routing we currently have with regards to the republicans taking over the entire country. The old guard Democrats sought celebrity over service and tenure over duty. I do not thank them for doing the bare minimum in their roles. Fuck them. They did not fight, they acquiesced and here we are. Their donors are not our masters. The voters are their masters.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, Dianne Feinstein is 85 years old. I can't imagine she has much of a handle on the world as it really is today after having been in public office SINCE 1970.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am of the opinion that the old guard Democrats are responsible for the routing we currently have with regards to the republicans taking over the entire country. The old guard Democrats sought celebrity over service and tenure over duty. I do not thank them for doing the bare minimum in their roles. Fuck them. They did not fight, they acquiesced and here we are. Their donors are not our masters. The voters are their masters.
This logic only makes sense if you blame the Old Guard democrats for embracing Civil Rights. Because what led to the collapse of Democratic power wasn't "accepting money from donors", it was the flight of "Dixiecrats" to the GOP in the 1968 Presdiential election and over the next 5 decades.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, Dianne Feinstein is 85 years old. I can't imagine she has much of a handle on the world as it really is today after having been in public office SINCE 1970.

For the good of the party she should retire. I would actually be for a 70 year old limit on all public offices. In normal life you retire around then politicians should too.

She wins another term puts her at 91. That's ridiculous.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I recommend this recent episode of the history-podcast "The Dollop", that gives a fair bit of needed context to people - like me - who had a very surface-level of Feinstein in contemporary politics.

Which, for me, basically boiled down to her being female and a jew, so, of course she had to be sorta okay and decent, at worst.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/3/d/d3d...31695605&hwt=b9abeea53cfe9328b93c9a52d83746ec

It's a good listen, and also deals a little (minuscule) bit about the culture of who can become an influential politician in contemporary US, and how the actual job they do - as a representatives of the people - often gets twisted into what is essentially "office politics", and how the system makes them feel obliged to do symbolic - but ultimately wrongheaded and ephemeral - decisions that only hurt the people they ostensibly represent.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This logic only makes sense if you blame the Old Guard democrats for embracing Civil Rights. Because what led to the collapse of Democratic power wasn't "accepting money from donors", it was the flight of "Dixiecrats" to the GOP in the 1968 Presdiential election and over the next 5 decades.
Yup, LBJ openly and accurately stated that his and the JFK administration's Civil Rights stance would cost the party for generations due to losing a large chunk of racists.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
To be honest, the fact that the California Party Leadership endorsed someone who the party membership so soundly rejected in the Primary bothers me.

It's their right, that's the rules in California, but even as someone who voted for De León, this is not a "fuck yeah" moment.

Oct 29, 2017

Yep. The GOP had reinvented itself right into being a putrid dumpster fire. The DNC should reinvent itself, but for the better.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the fact that the California Party Leadership endorsed someone who the party membership so soundly rejected in the Primary bothers me.

It's their right, that's the rules in California, but even as someone who voted for De León, this is not a "fuck yeah" moment.
Cali is a Jungle Primary, not a normal open or closed party primary.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Feinstein has been dropping the ball on so many things lately, it's time to go.

Need someone with energy to fight in Washington.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? They had a primary and she crushed him. Overwhelmingly. We're done caring about the will of the people and are back to caring about establishment types?

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Hopefully this is a good sign the Democratic establishment is realizing their younger base is only going more left.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
De Leon seems like a better fit for today's California anyway. Plus he will be our first Hispanic senator if he wins. Wish Feinstein retired instead because I appreciate what she has done for the state but it's time to hand over the torch.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to add term limits. These people that get too cozy and don't let new blood in

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

its working

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he sticks around after his probable loss so he can take over when she inevitably dies of old age during her next term.

I don't even understand why she wants to keep working. Retire and relax you ain't immortal.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprising given Feinstein's fame and position.

Have a hard time seeing her lose to him though.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost nobody liked Feinstein. I'm genuinely surprised the DNC is responding to the base in this way.
It would be very surprising if the Dem's national organization that only gets involved with Presidential elections was endorsing a candidate in a statewide election. They're not. This is the California Democratic Party.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fienstien needs to go. Shes 85 and surely her mindset is still set in the 1900's. I cant see anything wrong with letting a progressive young mind in to fight the GOP. She needs to pass the torch seriously.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Has it been worth anything lately?

the point of getting control of the senate, she would be in charge of those committees, so i would guess its more important for next term. the whole point is getting control.

most assuredly it wont be a CA democrat heading up those committees.

and i have no idea who is next in line. could be a conservative democrat for all we know

Status
Not open for further replies.